• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay - Now Available

Just gave it a quick test (cheers to Sethos for the file) and it appears to do what it says on the "tin". Definitely nice to record footage at 60fps. Whilst I agree that fraps still has better quality the framerate hit is off putting with fraps.

Only problems I really have with shadowplay are lack of features. A framerate counter would be nice and the ability to take screenshots with shadowplay would be a boon too then I could retire fraps altogether.

scitek

Will this replace MSI Afterburner for my recording purposes? I'll try it out, but I don't tend to record things unless I'm specifically trying to make a video of something.

Just gave it a quick test (cheers to Sethos for the file) and it appears to do what it says on the "tin". Definitely nice to record footage at 60fps. Whilst I agree that fraps still has better quality the framerate hit is off putting with fraps.

Only problems I really have with shadowplay are lack of features. A framerate counter would be nice and the ability to take screenshots with shadowplay would be a boon too then I could retire fraps altogether.

You should definitely switch to MSI Afterburner from FRAPS. It takes screenshots, and records videos with minimal performance hit. And it's free.

Dr Dogg

20 mins as a restriction does seam short. Sure it's fine for multiplayer footage but I'd want something a bit longer to save me having to bounce in and out. Make sense on a console as you'd only be guaranteed a certain HDD size and this would be used for multiple types of storage but I've 2 spare sata slots that I could easier chuck a dedicate 2tb scratch disc purely for this alone. Still baby steps.

Addnan

Just gave it a quick record in Resident Evil Revelations. Didn't drop below 60fps, although that game is not hard to run so can't really tell if it is having an effect on performance. Recording looks great, 60fps. Wish there was somewhere you can share videos at such fps. A 2min video was 456MB
Does the software stop recording once it hit 20mins limit?

You can manually record as much as you want. Shadow recording is where it stores the last 20mins of your gameplay. You can save that 20mins at any time you want. If you don't it will disappear.

TwistedMind

Neo Member
I'm only getting an option to save the last 10 minutes. I thought it was 20.
Seems you are on windows 7 , it is only 4 GB because OS limitation
ShadowPlay leverages the H.264 hardware encoder found on GeForce GTX 600 and 700 Series graphics cards to record 1920x1080, 60 frames per second. All DirectX 9 and newer games are supported. In comparison to software solutions that hammer the CPU, ShadowPlay’s hardware solution has an approximate 5-10% performance impact when using the max-quality 50 mbps recording mode, and by saving to automatically-encoded and compressed H.264 .mp4 files, ShadowPlay avoids the disk-thrashing, humongous, multi-gigabyte files associated with other gameplay recording applications.

When streaming with Twitch in a future GeForce Experience release, this minimal performance impact will ensure competitive multiplayer matches aren’t compromised by high CPU usage or hard disk thrashing.

If you prefer to save every single moment, enable Manual Mode with the rebindable Alt + F9 hotkey, which acts like traditional gameplay recorders, saving your entire session to disk. Windows 7 files cap out at 4GB per file due to OS limitations, but on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, file size is only limited by available hard disk space, enabling hours of footage to be recorded to a single file.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-shadowplay-beta-available-october-28

Sethos

Banned
Seems people are misunderstanding this software.

There's two modes; Manual and Shadow.

Manual is like any other recording application. Hit a button and it'll record infinitely until you hit the button again.

Shadow constantly records your gameplay without your interaction, up to 20 minutes. If you hit the shadow key it'll save the last X-minutes ( Which you've specified ). If you don't hit any keys, it'll just constantly dump the cache with the recordings you aren't saving. It's exactly like the next-gen console DVR feature - Just better.

Garteal

It is, mainly because FRAPS is pure and utter dogshit - Worst piece of recording software on the market. No options, super performance intensive, recording FPS tied to game FPS - Barely!
I wasn't talking about FRAPS in particular, but yes, with better options such as Dxtory you really shouldn't use FRAPS anymore.

If you just render the footage correctly, 41k bitrate is more than enough to get a good looking image.
You must be referring to 41Mbps because 41Kbps would look horrible.
Yes it is, but if you're going to render a 50Mbps already compressed video to that, then the quality will obviously be much worse than if you render a lossless video to a 40Mbps video.

It's like taking a JPEG image and saving it again as a JPEG image.

Yes a raw recording rendered down might have IQ benefits but what's the point when it's at the expense of everything else? I doubt anyone in the gaming world is going to pat anyone on the back for using FRAPS instead of something else.
At the expense of what? The performance impact is pretty low if you have a good CPU and a good hard drive with at least 100MB+ write speeds.

And you're certainly free to use what you want. Some people just prefer to work with the best source material so they're the ones that'll record lossless.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Seems people are misunderstanding this software.

There's two modes; Manual and Shadow.

Manual is like any other recording application. Hit a button and it'll record infinitely until you hit the button again.

Shadow constantly records your gameplay without your interaction, up to 20 minutes. If you hit the shadow key it'll save the last X-minutes ( Which you've specified ). If you don't hit any keys, it'll just constantly dump the cache with the recordings you aren't saving. It's exactly like the next-gen console DVR feature - Just better.

It definitely does sound like a cool and relevant feature here.

Sounds like I will be using this a lot. I wonder if I can capture to steaming SW like OBS or xsplit?

Dr Dogg

Does the software stop recording once it hit 20mins limit?

It's like how a PVR for tv works where you get the last hour or so when you switched to that channel so ShadowPlay is recording up to the last 20 mins of footage constantly. I'd love it to be a bit longer but there is the usual record function aswell.

Anteater

Can't use it, Nvidia experience say I have no ram :(

ZEDNDR0.jpg

ord5RHn.jpg

Edit: it works now, I went into my bios and disabled fast boot since I couldn't find anything else to change... no idea why but hey at least it's fixed.

vazel

Banned
I'm getting lots of sluggishness in games with Shadowplay enabled on my 660ti. Hopefully this is just a beta bug.

It would be lame if nvidia is gimping me because I have a 660ti; it cost me $300.

pvOpoK5.png

Do you really think I'm using FAT32 in this day and age?

Are you running Windows 7 (or earlier?)

They've said due to an OS limitation it can only make files up to 4 GB.

You screen shows that 10 minutes is hitting 3.8 GB, so it might not let you go beyond that

EDIT: Badly beaten, should refresh the page before posting

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Any test videos out yet?

I usually use external video hardware from my second PC to record my PC videos since it doesn't put any stress on the system and it does ProRes so encoding is super quick. But sometimes it has issues with it being HDCP and sound.

Awww yeah. I'm gonna try this out right now.

Was recording Arkham Origins on best settings with Fraps, was fine but this should be wayyyy more convenient.

Qassim

Nvidia software, so yeah

That depends on a specific chip NVIDIA put in their Kepler cards, no less. It isn't just lockdown for the sake of lockdown (like people complained about with Shield, which also depends on this same chip).

Threi

notag
That's the whole point of the "shadow" recording mode, yes.

It's like what the new consoles will do, but longer, at higher quality, before they are released, and for your existing games :p
Ah so basically business as usual.

Downloading now

Durante

Tried it with Guild Wars 2.
No noticeable performance impact, good IQ for background recording, tried it with 5 clips. Exactly what I wanted, pretty much.

I'd like for the icon to only fade in when you do something though.

Valtýr;87672724 said:
This works in ALL games or just games NVIDIA "supports"?
All. Though I noticed it doesn't work for borderless windowed mode.

Addnan

Would be nice to have an fps overlay as an option with this. Multiple overlays don't always work for me for some reason.

Durante

I'm getting lots of sluggishness in games with Shadowplay enabled on my 660ti. Hopefully this is just a beta bug.
I'm also on a 660ti, and I'm playing GW2 at 2560x1440 at more or less the same frame rates I'm used to. I'm capturing to a separate SSD though.

I noticed some juddering when watching the files with VLCplayer after recording them. It seems smoother in Windows Media player though. When running fraps on the video recording it constantly fluctuates between 62 and 63fps, could that have something to do with it?

Win8.1
2 Titans SLI
16gb ram
ect..

Valtýr

All. Though I noticed it doesn't work for borderless windowed mode.

Well that explains why Dark Souls didn't work.

Tried it with Borderlands 2. I noticed absolutely no performance change and I recorded my entire session. 30 minute session ended up being 12 gigs.

I noticed some juddering when watching the files with VLCplayer after recording them. It seems smoother in Windows Media player though. .

VLC player seems to completely crap out on me when trying to play the video file. WMP is better but still laggy. However when I import then into Adobe Premiere the video file plays fine.

Damian.

Banned
My files are also choppy in VLC, and more smooth in WMP, but still a bit choppy. Gameplay feels the same with Batman AO, couldn't tell there was any performance dip capped at 60.

Kinthalis

Banned
Gorgeous footage! The quality is excellent, specially for the file size. I haven't seen ANY performance hit on my games.

Really loving this.

Top Bottom