• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay - Now Available

Tried it out in Planetside 2 just now. If there is any performance hit, it must be measured scientifically. I'm not into video recording at all, but I think I'm going to leave this on so that I can save the few times I get amazing kill streaks or if something awesome happens. The quality is good enough for my purposes.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Tried to record gameplay, pressed alt-f9 and then pressed it again to end. There is a folder for the game but it's empty. WTF?

Valtýr

weird. still isn't working for me. Dark Souls loads in a window then reverts to fullscreen once it loads into the main menu. I have in-game settings set to Fullscreen 1080p. DSfix settings match what you posted. Yet I don't get the little icon for Shadowplay and it doesn't record anything.

Oh well.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really impressed with this so far. I'm not really into video capture that much but this seems pretty damn cool and works very nicely. Tried to upload some gameplay to youtube but my internet's being pretty crap at the minute. Good start though.

Unai

I wonder what is the best quality level to upload to youtube. It would be good if there was an option to lock the FPS at 30 in the generated file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqU4vp6_iuY&feature=youtu.be

I uploaded some Far Cry 3 footage to get an idea of what this will look like after YT and their compression techniques have their way with it. Still looks great and I took no noticeable performance hit of any kind.

I'm a little bummed that some are reporting they can record 20min worth. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but there is 85GB worth left on my 120GB SSD. Why I'm not allowed to go beyond 10min is beyond me. :(

Divus

Works great for me. Decided to play a match in BF3 64 player (only TDM) and didn't drop my frame rate I could tell.

Only two things I don't like.

#1. Limited to 10 minutes of recording at highest settings in Windows 7. Thats not long enough for me. Maybe if I could turn it down to 30 fps that would be ok but you can't.

#2. Didn't capture any microphone chatter from me. I'm fairly sure it was working at the time, but I could of be wrong.

Going to try and edit and upload the footage to see how it goes. Dxtory is nice, but it definitely takes a hit on my PC.

elseanio

What are the chances of custom resolutions for this in future updates? Squashes my 2560x1080 image.

yLbq0Pw.jpg

Xyber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqU4vp6_iuY&feature=youtu.be

I uploaded some Far Cry 3 footage to get an idea of what this will look like after YT and their compression techniques have their way with it. Still looks great and I took no noticeable performance hit of any kind.

I'm a little bummed that some are reporting they can record 20min worth. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but there is 85GB worth left on my 120GB SSD. Why I'm not allowed to go beyond 10min is beyond me. :(

Just start the recording manually and you can record longer. The 10 minutes is just for the constant recording.

I have tried this in 2 games now and the audio is out of sync on both.. I'm disappointed, can't seem to find a way to fix it.

komplanen

What are the chances of custom resolutions for this in future updates? Squashes my 2560x1080 image.
I wonder if the scaling works properly on 16:10 monitors or does it get distorted too?

I have tried this in 2 games now and the audio is out of sync on both.. I'm disappointed, can't seem to find a way to fix it.
What player are you using to view the recorded files?

Just start the recording manually and you can record longer. The 10 minutes is just for the constant recording.

Ok thanks

n0n44m

Didn't work for me initially, everything kept being greyed out in GeForce Experience

fixed it by installing the drivers again, this time with the "clean install" box checked

after that I did a quick test using Unigine Valley :

off : 92.6 fps
on : 86.0 fps

i7 2600K @ 4.8 , GTX 670 SLI , Win 8.1 on an SSD , recording to another SSD RAID 0 array

~7% performance loss seems pretty nice considering the ease and quality :)

Durante

#2. Didn't capture any microphone chatter from me. I'm fairly sure it was working at the time, but I could of be wrong.
Yeah, this is something they need to fix. E.g. if you are playing with mumble, it will record other people but not yourself (since you are obviously not part of your own PC's audio output). They need an option for overlaying microphone input over what is already being captured.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, this is something they need to fix. E.g. if you are playing with mumble, it will record other people but not yourself (since you are obviously not part of your own PC's audio output). They need an option for overlaying microphone input over what is already being captured.

I think there will be. The version they showed had Twitch integration, webcam integration with a "thumbnail in a corner" feature and also separate microphone afaik - Looks like we got the pleb version so far.

Smokey

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidias-shadowplay-got-leaked-record-your-playthroughs-the-nvidia-way/

Nvidia’s ShadowPlay service is planned for a worldwide beta launch tomorrow, however it seems that the application got leaked a day prior to that date. Spotted by NeoGAF’s member ‘Sethos’, this application lets you record your playthrough via Nvidia’s GPUs. The upside of this method is that the performance hit of it is significantly smaller than the one witnessed with FRAPS. The downside is that ShadowPlay records up to 20 minutes and does not provide a RAW file.

Sethos you are are star, a shining star

I don't have an Nvidia card (yet), but..

Do you have to record this to an SSD? Or is it fast enough to save it to a 7200RPM HDD (WD Black)?

Durante

Do you have to record this to an SSD? Or is it fast enough to save it to a 7200RPM HDD (WD Black)?
At highest settings (and most movement) it record at 7 MB/s, so storing to a HDD should be no problem.

Shouldn't be the same HDD you run the game from though, probably.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just tried it (GTX 780) didn't notice real performance drop. quality is fine for Youtube and other video sites I guess.

Pretty good to record crazy stuff in games, hopefully they update and improve it for people who want better quality and longer footages.

Divus

I noticed recording it to my USB 3 media drive didn't let me record more than 4 minutes of gameplay because it couldn't keep up. The drive is fast but not fast enough. Haven't tested my on my internal drive but it seems fast enough to handle it. I didn't bother trying my SSD.

Going to upload a video now to see how Youtube treats it.

Xyber

What player are you using to view the recorded files?

Didn't matter if I used VLC, MPC, even the rendered video from Premiere had it. But I restarted my PC now and it seems to work fine now. I'm uploading a CSGO video that should be up in a while.

Still couldn't figure out how to fix my sound problem. tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers without luck.

Is anyone having problems recording from an aftermarket sound card? I'm using a HT Omega Claro 2.

Arulan

Still couldn't figure out how to fix my sound problem. tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers without luck.

Is anyone having problems recording from an aftermarket sound card? I'm using a HT Omega Claro 2.

Currently it appears that if the game itself supports "hardware sound" it will not record. However even if you have a sound card, other games using software-based sound should work. Make sure NVIDIA's audio drivers are installed, even if you don't use them. If all else fails, try enabling "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" under recording devices.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It is so beautiful. Like screenshots being played back at 24 fps.

I usually encode for smaller size then pass it around to people. The problem is the shit youtube quality when uploaded there.

With a bitrate of 382 Mbps, it damned well better look like screenshots being played back!

By the way, I found a little exploit that allows you to get better quality out of youtube videos.

I posted some examples and a tutorial in the compendium.

Basically, resize your 1080p video to 4k using your video editing program - ideally with Nearest Neighbor resizing (though bicubic will do fine).

Youtube videos at "Original" quality are a MUCH higher bitrate than any of the others. I believe one of the videos I uploaded at 4k and the bitrate on the Youtube version was nearing 20Mbps

One thing I don't like is that fact it's forcing 16:9 (1080p)

my 1920x1200 16:10 gameplay is getting squashed. I'd rather have it put bars on the sides to compensate or allow me to record at 16:10

Xyber

Some CSGO gameplay. Looks okay, but you can't expect too much out of something you can have running at all times with that minimal of performance impact. Will be nice to have in BF4 for when shit happens that you wish you had recorded.

This is not edited in any way, just directly uploaded after I recorded it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tNLxYhQqM

Valtýr

Anyone have experience working with Adobe Premiere? It seems when I import the videos from Shadowplay into Premiere the audio/video goes out of sync.

When I view the videos in VLC or MPC or whatever the audio/video are fine.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Excellent, thanks.

Between this and G-Sync I'm pretty much sold on an Nvidia card next.

Between Geforce Experience, G-Sync, 3D Vision, Shadowplay, Shield and Gamestream I'm locked to Nvidia ecosystem (and I think many people in the same boat). it's now not just a game of upgrading to the faster GPU available but a bigger investment and friendly experience for gamers.

Divus

Alright uploaded some Shadowplay Battlefield footage so anyone who wants to see it can check it out. Youtube messed it up a bit, but it could be how I saved it when I edited to footage down. Looks pretty damn good before uploading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaWw4SnVv_E

Skip to 2:55 to listen to the actual game without me overtop of it.

Currently it appears that if the game itself supports "hardware sound" it will not record. However even if you have a sound card, other games using software-based sound should work. Make sure NVIDIA's audio drivers are installed, even if you don't use them. If all else fails, try enabling "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" under recording devices.

The sound control software will go nuts if Windows detects another sound driver. I had to completely remove both on-board and Nvidia sound drivers so I can use the card without running into compatibility issues.

I'm not having problems with both Fraps and Afterburner, so I think we'll just have to wait for Nvidia to allow us to manually choose recording channels/sources. And hopefully soon, they've really done a great job with this one.

Arulan

The sound control software will go nuts if Windows detects another sound driver. I had to completely remove both on-board and Nvidia sound drivers so I can use the card without running into compatibility issues.

I'm not having problems with both Fraps and Afterburner, so I think we'll just have to wait for Nvidia to allow us to manually choose recording channels/sources. And hopefully soon, they've really done a great job with this one.

I'm hoping for the choice of sources as well. Currently however, if the NVIDIA audio drivers aren't installed it won't record audio. I learned this because I usually disable the drivers after a clean install, but in order to record any audio they need to be enabled.

Durante

I'm hoping for the choice of sources as well. Currently however, if the NVIDIA audio drivers aren't installed it won't record audio. I learned this because I usually disable the drivers after a clean install, but in order to record any audio they need to be enabled.
Yeah, ideally you should be able to select 0 to N sources, and also optionally add audio input devices.

MaLDo

Between Geforce Experience, G-Sync, 3D Vision, Shadowplay, Shield and Gamestream I'm locked to Nvidia ecosystem (and I think many people in the same boat). it's now not just a game of upgrading to the faster GPU available but a bigger investment and friendly experience for gamers.

Add drivel level Ambient occlusion and frame limit, NVInspector, easy downsampling, frametime metering in SLI, GPU PhysX and cuda (JC2 water is awesome). Very difficult forget those features.

Top Bottom