• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

s-bojan

Banned
These are available options in my country:
ZOTAC GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X AMP Extreme 830e, 2 year warranty
MSI GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G 790e, 3 year warranty
GIGABYTE GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X Aorus 800e, 3 year warranty

I am not sure that extended warranty Zotac is offering is available here.
What would you buy?

Durante

I'm talking about your insinuation that hybrid cards are just for people trying to squeeze out a few more MHz. They aren't. There's a reason people keep asking which of the custom cards is better: because they're looking at performance, noise, and temps. That's what hybrids do better than air cards and suggesting the solution is somehow not tried and true as opposed to air cooling is nonsense.
Hybrids aren't really appreciably better than large-scale air coolers in most of those though -- certainly not commensurately with the increase in cost and space requirements.

In fact, last time I looked into them, their noise floor was higher than pure air cooled cards.

Hybris

Have a problem with my ftw3... This weekend I had some time so I figured I'd try out the slave bios for the higher power target. Powered off and unplugged the psu, opened up the case and flipped the bios switch on the card and powered everything back up. According to Afterburner I could raise the power target, so the swap was successful. I bumped up the power and ran Superposition benchmark and the fps was in the ~30-35 range, I'm guessing I hit some sort of power limit on my psu... It's a 550w. So I dropped the power back down to 117% as it was previously and reran the benchmark... same fps range. Rebooted to see if that would fix anything, nope same fps.

So I tried swapping the bios back to master. Afterburner shows 117% as the max power target so it swapped successfully. Ran the benchmarks... Same 30-35 fps... Tried dropped the power down to 100%... Same issue.

Did I fuck up my card? Or is it more likely my psu is the cause? The core clocks during the benchmarks were struggling to get above 1900...

I didn't even realize that the Slave bios allowed for a higher power target. I figured the master did. Come to think of it, I remember hearing that now in a review but just forgot I guess.

Where's the switch on the FTW3 to change it? I don't remember seeing that before installing my card.

Hybris

I didn't even realize that the Slave bios allowed for a higher power target. I figured the master did. Come to think of it, I remember hearing that now in a review but just forgot I guess.

Where's the switch on the FTW3 to change it? I don't remember seeing that before installing my card.

It's really tiny, slightly to the left of the power connectors. You can see markings for slave/master on the backplate also

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Are my eyes deceiving me or can I now step up to a 1080Ti SC black edition? Previously only the FE version was available?

If I'm not crazy, I'll put in my step up order now.

edit: yep. $40 to step up from my ICX 1080. Good decision to take advantage of that ICX upgarde was fucking good.

If you have one of the ICX 1080's and you've been waiting for a non-FE 1080Ti to upgrade to, you're time is now.

This is the card:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6393-KR

Not eligible for this upgrade, but this is the GPU I am going to be buying. I really like the look of the cooler.

grendelrt

Have a problem with my ftw3... This weekend I had some time so I figured I'd try out the slave bios for the higher power target. Powered off and unplugged the psu, opened up the case and flipped the bios switch on the card and powered everything back up. According to Afterburner I could raise the power target, so the swap was successful. I bumped up the power and ran Superposition benchmark and the fps was in the ~30-35 range, I'm guessing I hit some sort of power limit on my psu... It's a 550w. So I dropped the power back down to 117% as it was previously and reran the benchmark... same fps range. Rebooted to see if that would fix anything, nope same fps.

So I tried swapping the bios back to master. Afterburner shows 117% as the max power target so it swapped successfully. Ran the benchmarks... Same 30-35 fps... Tried dropped the power down to 100%... Same issue.

Did I fuck up my card? Or is it more likely my psu is the cause? The core clocks during the benchmarks were struggling to get above 1900...
550w is a little low but in my past experiences with pulling too much power it results in system stability issues, like crashing. Did you try changing your fan profile, maybe you are hitting the heat threshold at stock power on the gpu which is why changing the power profile results in no change. Try manually running the fans at 100% with the larger power profile and see if it changes the gpu boost clock max. I doubt you have hurt aby thing btw if that is worrying you.

It's really tiny, slightly to the left of the power connectors. You can see markings for slave/master on the backplate also

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend using EVGA Precision X for the FTW3 cards. At least for fan control.

MSI Afterburner will only control the first fan, the other 2 should run on whatever the default fan curve is in the BIOS.

Using Precision XOC is the only way to manually control all 3 fans at the moment.

But the Slave Bios does have aggressive fan profile by default, so it should be fine as long as they're going off that. Just might be a little loud.

Hybris

550w is a little low but in my past experiences with pulling too much power it results in system stability issues, like crashing. Did you try changing your fan profile, maybe you are hitting the heat threshold at stock power on the gpu which is why changing the power profile results in no change. Try manually running the fans at 100% with the larger power profile and see if it changes the gpu boost clock max. I doubt you have hurt aby thing btw if that is worrying you.

I don't think it's temperatures since I wasn't going above 65C. I didn't have any crashes or instability.

I also ran Doom for a bit after this to see if I would see similar results ingame, but everything seemed normal actually. I was staying around benchmarked values at 1440p.

I will try some other benchmarking software later to see if I get the same low clocks. I should probably look into getting a better psu anyway... It's just a little concerning that I'm getting these reduced clock speeds even after dropping my power target lower than it was before I swapped the bios.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend using EVGA Precision X for the FTW3 cards. At least for fan control.

I tried it out for a bit but OSD is pretty terrible compared to rtss, and games were crashing when I toggled it off and on... I think I prefer the usability here vs more control on the fans.

Fair enough. I hate Precision. Afterburner has a much cleaner interface for everything. Precision just screams GAMER STUFF! I should really look into some alternate skins...

But yeah, I fine tune my fan control with it because my GPU temps are way lower than my power\memory. At least until my replacement shows up in the mail.

The Dude

Is MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X safe choice?

Yea it's a solid choice, if you scan around reviews it gets plenty of praise. Most of these cards are going to give people solid gaming as long as when they arrive they don't have any abnormalities

Dash

I'm debating pulling the trigger on the 1080 TI. I currently have the 980 TI but I game at 4k. It's clearly not always able to keep up at that resolution, but I've played most of the recent releases so I'm having a hard time justifying the expense. The only recent PC games I still need to play are Nier, The Surge and Prey. It would help if I knew there were a lot of triple AAA demanding PC games coming this fall, but I'm not a big FPS guy. Aside from probably a new Assassin's Creed and the new Shadow of Mordor, what else is coming?

I'm debating pulling the trigger on the 1080 TI. I currently have the 980 TI but I game at 4k. It's clearly not always able to keep up at that resolution, but I've played most of the recent releases so I'm having a hard time justifying the expense. The only recent PC games I still need to play are Nier, The Surge and Prey. It would help if I knew there were a lot of triple AAA demanding PC games coming this fall, but I'm not a big FPS guy. Aside from probably a new Assassin's Creed and the new Shadow of Mordor, what else is coming?

Did you play Quantum Break? I put that game off because performance on my 980TI was awful, and I only play at 3440x1440 (about 3MP less than 4K). With a 1080TI, I'm actually enjoying the shit out of this game. It's still brutal and very difficult to hit 60 (with scaling off).

I also play Battlefield 1 a lot and some maps would drop below 60 and it was very noticeable. If not for that, I probably would have waited a bit on getting one. If you have nothing to benefit from a 1080TI right now, then I'd say wait.

Dash

Did you play Quantum Break? I put that game off because performance on my 980TI was awful, and I only play at 3440x1440 (about 3MP less than 4K). With a 1080TI, I'm actually enjoying the shit out of this game. It's still brutal and very difficult to hit 60 (with scaling off).

I also play Battlefield 1 a lot and some maps would drop below 60 and it was very noticeable. If not for that, I probably would have waited a bit on getting one. If you have nothing to benefit from a 1080TI right now, then I'd say wait.

Yeah I actually beat it twice when I first got my 980 TI (and loved it!), but that when I was still playing at 1440p. I did buy Nier and I find it's 4k performance pretty disappointing, and I imagine Prey's will be as well. For those two games, plus at least 2-3 this fall, it might be worth it if I could sell my 980 TI for a decent price. Just wish there was one huge Witcher 3-like game on the horizon for PC

DAcwlTaXcAA8jWH.jpg
Sexy new EVGA Elite 1080ti's got announced today. Exclusive for Elite members.

http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6796-KR

Why did they have to do this to me when I just got my card....

aliengmr

Question. Didn't want a start a thread.

I have a GTX 970 and I have loved it. It confirms my belief in not going to the top end, but staying in the upper middle.

I have a 4k monitor and while my single 970 struggles to do 4k I am quite impressed with how it handled it. The Division was a bit under 30 FPS, enough to notice but not unplayable, which surprised me. The same is true for most games with setting set to high instead of very high. 4k isn't super important, I can live with 1080, but I want to try it.

Knowing all that 1070 or 1080?

paskowitz

I have a GTX 970 and I have loved it. It confirms my belief in not going to the top end, but staying in the upper middle.

I have a 4k monitor and while my single 970 struggles to do 4k I am quite impressed with how it handled it. The Division was a bit under 30 FPS, enough to notice but not unplayable, which surprised me. The same is true for most games with setting set to high instead of very high. 4k isn't super important, I can live with 1080, but I want to try it.

If you can, wait for the 1170 or whatever they call it. A 1070 is not a 4K card. An 1170 will be about a 1080 Ti, which can handle 4K. Also, don't forget, games will only continue to get more graphically demanding.

aliengmr

If you can, wait for the 1170 or whatever they call it. A 1070 is not a 4K card. An 1170 will be about a 1080 Ti, which can handle 4K. Also, don't forget, games will only continue to get more graphically demanding.

Hmm...okay. (<--that's me seriously thinking about your reply)

My wife surprised the hell out of me by getting a 4k monitor for Xmas, which is gorgeous and something I want really utilize, but hadn't planned on having for a few years.

It sounds as though the 1080 ti will do 4k, but the price might be an issue. I need to think.

Thanks for the reply.

Hybris

Ok I'm an idiot. Just realized I was running the 8k preset instead of the 4k preset after swapping the bios. The card is fine... Still gonna get a new power supply though because the slave bios power target is definitely pushing it on 550w.

Arkanius

So what choices do I have if I want to watercool my Ti FE?
EVGA Hybrid kit is expensive af in Europe (179€) and it still keeps a fan for the VRM.

Wanted to go full block, but my Noctua D15 is way too good for me to replace it for a full loop :(

I can actually keep my 1080 Ti cool at 75C on Full load if I do the fan speed = temperature curve, but jet engine and all.

So what choices do I have if I want to watercool my Ti FE?
EVGA Hybrid kit is expensive af in Europe (179&#8364;) and it still keeps a fan for the VRM.

Wanted to go full block, but my Noctua D15 is way too good for me to replace it for a full loop :(

I can actually keep my 1080 Ti cool at 75C on Full load if I do the fan speed = temperature curve, but jet engine and all.

If you're prepared for a spot of DIY, NZXT recently released a bring-your-own-AIO hybrid kit called the Kraken G12. Fairly cheap, but do remember that price excludes the AIO. Works with a surprisingly long list of AIO's (basically any recent Antec based AIO), so you won't need to specifically buy NZXT's expensive loops. Not sure how available it is in Europe just yet, though.

I believe my luck finally ran out. Never got a card with coil whine before, but this Evga 1080ti Hybrid I booted up yesterday does. It is quite noticeable as well. If I turn my fans up to full blast it does drown it out but that is a pain. ill call Evga first and see if they recommend returning it with them or Newegg.

I believe my luck finally ran out. Never got a card with coil whine before, but this Evga 1080ti Hybrid I booted up yesterday does. It is quite noticeable as well. If I turn my fans up to full blast it does drown it out but that is a pain. ill call Evga first and see if they recommend returning it with them or Newegg.

Definitely go through EVGA. They'll even do a cross-ship RMA if you want.

Advantage: You get to keep the current card until you get the new one.
Disadvantage: You pay for the new one and are only refunded when they receive the old one.

Definitely go through EVGA. They'll even do a cross-ship RMA if you want.

Advantage: You get to keep the current card until you get the new one.
Disadvantage: You pay for the new one and are only refunded when they receive the old one.

Whew, that is 809 bucks. Still this is my first Evga and I have heard good things about their customer service. I appreciate the advice.

Whew, that is 809 bucks. Still this is my first Evga and I have heard good things about their customer service. I appreciate the advice.

I didn't even contact EVGA about RMAing my FTW3. I just went on the forums and asked people what upper limits I should impose on my memory and power temps because they seemed higher than expected.

An EVGA staff member saw my screenshots and emailed me about it. He started the RMA for me immediately.

The cross-ship RMA is basically like putting a temporary dent on your bank account in exchange for keeping your current product until the new one arrives. Otherwise you have to ship it, wait for the RMA to go through, and then wait for it to get shipped back again. I didn't want to wait that long without the card. It works great, but super noisy with the higher temps (which I mostly drown out with headphones anyways).

For those with EVGA ICX cards support for the ICX sensors has been added to GPU-Z and is coming soon(ish) to MSI Afterburner.

Still no word on being able to control the fans with anything but Precision XOC

Bossniak

So I got my 1080ti ,the asus rog strix, and my idle temps are at 54 Celsius. Fans speed at 0 and auto when in load. Is that normal? When under load it goes up to 78. Is that good?

I read reviews where idle temps were at 34 and load around 67.

Any suggestions? This is out the box settings.

Reallink

Newegg has been running 1080 sales for $390, $419, and $429, probably fire sales of the 10k mghz RAM to make way for the 11k updates. Keep an eye on slickdeals.net, they sell out pretty fast.

So I got my 1080ti ,the asus rog strix, and my idle temps are at 54 Celsius. Fans speed at 0 and auto when in load. Is that normal? When under load it goes up to 78. Is that good?

That idle temp seems high but if the fan isn't spinning at all, that may be why.

What's the fan speed when it jumps to 78? That's still not going to throttle you but it seems higher than I'd expect from that card.

Bossniak

That idle temp seems high but if the fan isn't spinning at all, that may be why.

What's the fan speed when it jumps to 78? That's still not going to throttle you but it seems higher than I'd expect from that card.

Not home currently but the default fan curve in gpu tweak 2 had points at 50% and 70% fan speed. Can't recall what temps those speeds are for.

I had Sli 980 before and those cards ran about the same at idle as the 1080ti. Not sure if you can relate those or not.

Thinking of returning the strix for the ftw3 since it's in stock, good idea?

My Amp Extreme has this blinking blue light on it that can't be turned off and I'm getting better at ignoring it but it's kinda making me wish I had gone for a different card, pfft. Does anyone else with the Zotac have that blinking light? Other than that and the fans revving up to 100% issue I had to turn off the fan stop at idle to resolve, it's been all right. Not sure if I'll go for Zotac again though, I'd probably just have gone for MSI, Aorus, or EVGA if I had the chance to redo this. I know I could return it, but I'd be hit with over $100 in restocking fees from Newegg unless I lied and said it's defective :S Anyone have experience in getting around that restocking fee?

Could always say it's got terrible coil whine, I suppose, if they'll let you return it for that reason. Power supply dependent so they can't really verify it.

paskowitz

Hmm...okay. (<--that's me seriously thinking about your reply)

My wife surprised the hell out of me by getting a 4k monitor for Xmas, which is gorgeous and something I want really utilize, but hadn't planned on having for a few years.

It sounds as though the 1080 ti will do 4k, but the price might be an issue. I need to think.

Thanks for the reply.

Now if you can get a used 1070 on the cheap <$300, then you only have ~$100 to lose on depreciation when a 1170 comes out. Otherwise, wait.

scoobs

Couple days with the MSI 1080ti and I'm fairly impressed. My fire strike score shot up from 13,800 with a 980ti to 19,100.

Temps leave a bit to be desired, but nothing terrible. 70-75 degrees under heavy load and almost no fan noise whatsoever.

dr_rus

Any suggestions? This is out the box settings.

Your local temps are completely dependent on your local environment, meaning not only what kind of case you're using but what temperature you have right now where you live. Benchmarks are usually showing the best possible case for temperatures and they are usually ~5C higher in end user environments.

That being said, your temps seems to be a bit higher then I'd expect from a 1080Ti Strix as going off this:

temp.png

I'd expect local temps to be around 50C idle / 75C load.

And fans are off at idle, this is typical on all custom cards for the last several years.

Hybris

Noticed some very slight artifacting in doom yesterday with my ftw3. Gonna tweak my overclocking and see if it continues... Just finished the game but I'm not opposed to yet another replay to test this out :)

Noticed some very slight artifacting in doom yesterday with my ftw3. Gonna tweak my overclocking and see if it continues... Just finished the game but I'm not opposed to yet another replay to test this out :)
How much higher did you go? My FTW3 only goes up 20mhz before becoming unstable in BF1. It settles at 2000mhz on the slave bios. Not a big deal though as another 50 wouldn't really yield a noticeable improvement. So far +400 on the memory is stable though.

Hybris

How much higher did you go? My FTW3 only goes up 20mhz before becoming unstable in BF1. It settles at 2000mhz on the slave bios. Not a big deal though as another 50 wouldn't really yield a noticeable improvement. So far +400 on the memory is stable though.

+50 on the core, didn't mess with the memory yet. I'll do that this weekend probably. New psu should arrive today so I'll swap to slave and see how far it can go.

My Amp Extreme has this blinking blue light on it that can't be turned off and I'm getting better at ignoring it but it's kinda making me wish I had gone for a different card, pfft. Does anyone else with the Zotac have that blinking light? Other than that and the fans revving up to 100% issue I had to turn off the fan stop at idle to resolve, it's been all right. Not sure if I'll go for Zotac again though, I'd probably just have gone for MSI, Aorus, or EVGA if I had the chance to redo this. I know I could return it, but I'd be hit with over $100 in restocking fees from Newegg unless I lied and said it's defective :S Anyone have experience in getting around that restocking fee?

Mine has the blue light but I barely notice it as its more obscured for me. I do have that weird 100% fan speed but it only last a second and then it doesn't happen again. Haven't noticed it recently using a custom fan curve.

The Dude

Well I'll say this first, bye bye ftw3. Very impressed with my Strix, first thing I have to say is it's about as silent as it gets... That in itself is worth the money. I'm at about 2050, with some drops to 2025. Temps are low 50s for awhile and slowly get to about mid 50, haven't seen over 60 yet but I haven't played a ton yet. However my evga was not only loud as hell but it was just riding hard mid mid and high 60s almsot from the get go. The icx cooler seemed to prevent it from really moving much but it would be fairly quick to reach mod 60s for normal gaming.

I'm really pleased so far, smooth, just feels great all around and so so quiet.

Mine arrived today, later after work I'll test it.

Prices got jacked up after some economic problems here, I managed to get one before that happened.

The Dude

Yea loving my Strix. Couldn't get a mem oc where I wanted it but I haven't even touched any voltage yet or anything. But I hold a 110 core OC. Can't get over the noise level or lack of I should say, fans at 65% keep me under 60 degrees at 4k locked at 60.

Wallach

Not home currently but the default fan curve in gpu tweak 2 had points at 50% and 70% fan speed. Can't recall what temps those speeds are for.

I had Sli 980 before and those cards ran about the same at idle as the 1080ti. Not sure if you can relate those or not.

Thinking of returning the strix for the ftw3 since it's in stock, good idea?

The FTW3 is just going to run hotter. It sounds to me like you just have a fairly high case temp; investigate better case airflow.

The Dude

Yea my case does pretty good cooling, and my ftw3 was pretty much instant mid to high 60s gaming. Strix is just on another level with that which is a shame because I thought icx would win out Temps wise.

But this is not only better Temps but I can't even hear it. Super impressed.

Top Bottom