• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Yeah, if you are water cooling there is no reason to get anything other than the founders edition unless you want/like the looks of a specific water block.

All the pascal cards are so close in terms of performance that any one special variant isn't going to matter when on water.

SpeedFan. You need to check some guide on youtube to know how to actually set it up properly though, it's not the easiest.

I spent maybe an hour setting it up for my PC about a month back and it's so much better now. When my CPU works hard, only my rad (and pump) ramps up. At idle speeds the pump only has to run at around 40% to maintain temps bit be completely quiet.

And for gaming the other fans ramp up more, but the CPU rad can still stay at very low speeds.

You're right about that. I treid Speedfan the other night and I wasn't getting anywhere. I THOUGHT I did it right but nothing seemed to actually take effect, so I assumed it didn't work on all systems.

Guess I'll have to look up a guide.

Kinda bummed out that I decided to put in the replacement FTW3. It behaves the exact same. PWR4 sensor shows 15 more degrees than the others. Fan speeds need to be 60-70% in order to keep GPU around 73-75 and the Power temp under 83 (where it goes red in Precision XOC).

Ugh. Now it would be a lot more difficult to sell.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
And this is what happens when I turn on my ac. Get like 4 - 5 lower temps. I Imagine if I position my PC next to my ac i could get like 10 lower. I'm doing the same exact things as before.

LfBWzdX.png

Yushi

So my 3y old computer as got :

i7 4770k @ 3.5ghz
16gig of ram DDR3
and an 780gtx.

I dont have 2-3k to blow, but I honestly believe just changing the GPU to an 1080GTX TI and ill be good for an other 2 years. By then ill just upgrade everything beside the GPU. I think that plan make sense.

jrcbandit

i7 4770k @ 3.5ghz
16gig of ram DDR3
and an 780gtx.

I dont have 2-3k to blow, but I honestly believe just changing the GPU to an 1080GTX TI and ill be good for an other 2 years. By then ill just upgrade everything beside the GPU. I think that plan make sense.

It does, just overclock your CPU to 4.2-4.5 ghz range. I have the same exact CPU @4.4 ghz and it doesn't slow down my 1080 Ti any.

Have you tried it yet just getting a nice 60 without whine?

I'm a performance guy using a 165hz monitor so I'm always for pushing frames over quality.

Never tried locking anything to 60 but dur8ng certain scenes in Heaven maxed I get around 75+ fps and it still whines.

These are my temps without A/C in SoCal.

GneeYBF.png

The Dude

I'm a performance guy using a 165hz monitor so I'm always for pushing frames over quality.

Never tried locking anything to 60 but dur8ng certain scenes in Heaven maxed I get around 75+ fps and it still whines.

These are my temps without A/C in SoCal.

GneeYBF.png

Gotcha, yea just sounds like one of my evga 780 tis I had that no matter what it whined, I'd replace it and maybe try another.

Gotcha, yea just sounds like one of my evga 780 tis I had that no matter what it whined, I'd replace it and maybe try another.

It's not too bad but I'm anal about that stuff. Don't think it's worth trying to get a new one. Plus I got it over a month ago anyways I think.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I have two 720p streams running, Firefox with multiple tabs, messengers, etc, Fallout 4 maxed out with mods at 1440p 144hz 60fs+, gsync and vsync on and my GPU temps are 51°. My GPU fans are running at 50% which is still quiet. Been playing since I last posted. So John's numbers aren't far fetched.

i7 4770k @ 3.5ghz
16gig of ram DDR3
and an 780gtx.

I literally have this exact same PC and with the 1080Ti it crushes every new release at max settings on 1440p/144hz and 4k/60hz.

The Dude

What's the magic words for unlocking voltage control in afterburner? I ticked the box to unlock but it's still locked out

What's the magic words for unlocking voltage control in afterburner? I ticked the box to unlock but it's still locked out

I had to do this:

Step 1: Go to your MSI Afterburner Profiles folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles)
Step 2: Right-click the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." and go > Properties > Security
Step 3: Select "Edit" and then click on "Users (username\Users)" and with the permission boxes below, check "Allow" for the first box - Full control. Click OK and OK again (this allows the file to be saved after editing it).
Step 4: Now you can open the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." in WordPad and replace everything you see with this:

[Startup]
Format=2
CoreVoltageBoost=
PowerLimit=
ThermalLimit=
ThermalPrioritize=
CoreClkBoost=
MemClkBoost=
[Settings]
VDDC_Generic_Detection=1

Need to have started AB at least once before.

MSI AB 4.4.0 beta 10 is available.

• Improved 5-channel thermal monitoring module architecture provides support for up to 20 independent thermal sensors per GPU (up to 5 independent GPU, up to 5 independent PCB, up to 5 independent memory and up to 5 independent VRM temperature sensors) on future custom design MSI graphics cards
• Added NCT7802Y thermal sensors support to provide compatibility with future custom design MSI graphics cards
• Improved hardware database format. New database subsections support provides more compact database definition for multiple graphics card models sharing similar hardware calibration info
• New cached I2C device detection algorithm improves application startup time on the systems with multichannel voltage controllers or multichannel thermal sensors
• Added experimental interleaved hardware polling mode, aimed to reduce hardware polling time on the systems with multiple polled I2C devices. When interleaved polling is enabled, just a part of hardware monitoring data sources is being polled on each hardware polling period, so it takes multiple periods to refresh all monitoring data sources. Power users may enable interleaved hardware polling mode via the configuration file if necessary
• Improved third party voltage control mode functionality. Now third party hardware database can also include extended thermal sensors calibration and mapping info for third party custom design graphics cards

iCX thermal sensors are in third party database now, so selecting third party voltage control mode in "General" tab should unlock access to them in hardware monitoring module.

That's cool, I'm just tryin to figure out what I'd be gaining by lying. It's not like I work for Asus or something.

Wouldn't worry too much about it. Benches are not meant to be the "be all end all." They are tests and theoretical values that you may or may not hit. Benches are typically done on open air test machines. They will always be a few degrees higher because they don't have the proper circulation of a good case.

My Hybrid, with coil whine, is 57 degrees under full load. Thinking about just dealing with it. This bad boy oc'd to 2100mhz without any fuss. That's some supreme silicon lottery luck. I just know if I return it I'm not going to get that lucky twice.

The Dude

Wouldn't worry too much about it. Benches are not meant to be the "be all end all." They are tests and theoretical values that you may or may not hit. Benches are typically done on open air test machines. They will always be a few degrees higher because they don't have the proper circulation of a good case.

My Hybrid, with coil whine, is 57 degrees under full load. Thinking about just dealing with it. This bad boy oc'd to 2100mhz without any fuss. That's some supreme silicon lottery luck. I just know if I return it I'm not going to get that lucky twice.

Yea, im not worried I just want to make it clear that for me I don't get some sort of jolly off making stuff up about Pc parts, that gains me absolutely nothing.

But I bumped my voltage a bit and I'm happy with what I've got and will probably not mess with it any further. Levels off now at 2038, Temps have touched 60 but that's highest I've seen now, 57-59 is where I hover so I'm happy with that.

Edit : actually bumped core to 125 and its holding nicely, started my game at 2063 and it's leveling at 2050. Gonna see how that goes

Edit 2: yea played about an hour of prey and I stayed at 2050 60 degrees, I'm happy with that. Although I'm still having some frame drop issues that I can't figure out but I think its the game, I'm about 90% locked at 60 but get drops in certain places. I checked other games like witcher and rise of the tomb raider and everything is solid, so its prey side of things. Gonna try that hotfix driver later

All right, I had decided against it but in the end I just went and ordered an Asus and assuming it doesn't have any issues like noticeable coil whine I'll return my Zotac. ...It's a bit silly but looking at my PC I realized I don't care for how the Zotac looks in it which pushed me over the edge, what's the point of having a windowed case if you're not happy with the aesthetics lol. Here's the Define C with the Zotac crammed in it:

Also grabbed a pair of 8 pin power extensions since the loop from the power cable is rather unpleasing as well.

But hey, my qualms with this particular card aside the 1080 Ti chip itself is really excellent, especially when combined with my Acer X34 monitor. A massive upgrade from the old 980 seen in that picture and a standard 60hz 1440p monitor without variable refresh rate.

Without reading through the whole thread, are we entering that awkward stage where purchasing something like a 1080ti is becoming less of a good choice as the 20XX series gets closer?

I know that these things happen quick and if I keep waiting I'll never pull the trigger but just wanted to hear if anyone had some insight.

Games I play (gta 5, destiny 2(whenever it comes out), WoW, PUBG)

Without reading through the whole thread, are we entering that awkward stage where purchasing something like a 1080ti is becoming less of a good choice as the 20XX series gets closer?

I never let what's around the corner stop me from getting what I want now. Usually when I have the itch to upgrade, waiting isn't an option. For me, it was low performance in certain demanding titles @ 3440x1440 (Mankind Divided, Quantum Break, Battlefield 1). So I guess it comes down to what you need right now.

On another note... this is without adding any OC or voltage.

QkTABKu.png

I was told to keep that power temp under 83 on the EVGA forums... and that's where my fans get SUPER loud.

I'm going to experiment with a Strix and see if that fares any better inside my case. If I have similar issues with cooling\noise, then I know it's probably case airflow that needs to be improved.

Branson

I know that these things happen quick and if I keep waiting I'll never pull the trigger but just wanted to hear if anyone had some insight.

Games I play (gta 5, destiny 2(whenever it comes out), WoW, PUBG)

God I hope not. I'm ready to spend money on a computer lol.

guys, I believe my Fractal Design R3 is the main cause for high temps in my Aorus Xtreme, so I am looking for a cool 'n quiet case. I'm torn between the Corsair Carbide 600C and the Silverstone KL07B. Which one would be better to keep an Aorus 1080Ti under cool temps?

LQX

guys, I believe my Fractal Design R3 is the main cause for high temps in my Aorus Xtreme, so I am looking for a cool 'n quiet case. I'm torn between the Corsair Carbide 600C and the Silverstone KL07B. Which one would be better to keep an Aorus 1080Ti under cool temps?

Maybe invest in some Noctua fans? Cheaper than a new case.

Hybrid is the way to go.

I will never use an air cooled card again.

Got the founder's edition and the hybrid cooler.

Temps never go above 51 no matter what I throw at it. Noise levels are also amazingly low.

Maybe invest in some Noctua fans? Cheaper than a new case.

welp, the thing is the case hasn't enough space, it seems to me every component is close to each other, so I guess a larger and more organized case would allievate this issue.

btw there are 3 additional fans, a Noctua among them.. , plus an Cooler Master EVO 212, which while not being great is enough for the CPU.

LQX

Depends on how many you need. $30 a fan can add up quick.

True, but man are they worth it. They move ton of air and are super quite.

welp, the thing is the case hasn't enough space, it seems to me every component is close to each other, so I guess a larger and more organized case would allievate this issue.

btw there are 3 additional fans, a Noctua among them.. , plus an Cooler Master EVO 212, which while not being great is enough for the CPU.

Yeah I have the R5 and what makes it great is that you can remove the hard drive cages so it gives it plenty of room. Newegg as the Define S on sale. If you have no need for the optical bay or more than one 3.5-inch hard drive then it has an insane amount of room as there are no hard drive cages or optical bays.

003_062216.jpg

They also have the Corsair Carbide Series Air 740 on sale today. Thinking hard about getting it but it is HUGE...

https://www.newegg.com/Special/Shel...omepage_SS-_-P1_11-139-083-_-05292017&Index=1

True, but man are they worth it. They move ton of air and are super quite.
Do they make 120mm intake fans for the front of my case? I think I need to replace my stock case fans (NZXT H440). Preferably fans I can control somehow so they only ramp up when my GPU gets hot.

I wonder if EVGA would let you step up from a FTW3 to the hybrid FTW3...

Settled on a EVGA SC Black Edition finally. I've been waffling back and forth for a month now to decide on whether or not to upgrade my Gigabyte 1070 G1 because my setup right now is absolutely serviceable at 1440p/144Hz. However, I want every game I play at max settings and be as close as possible to maxing out that 144Hz, so 1080Ti it is.

I don't see much conversation on this particular card over the past couple of pages, so I'll provide back some info when I get it later this week. My 1070 is on sale in the FS thread if anybody is interested.

crazyprac

Hmmm so I'm having some frame issues on dx12 civ6 with my new ti. On dx11 the game is super smooth but when I switch to dx12 I get jarring drops. It goes from 100fps+ to like 15fps for a couple secs. Might just be civ? Haven't tried it in any dx12 games yet.

Top Bottom