• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

The Dude

Well, there goes that idea!

I'm getting a Strix today. Should be interesting to compare that to the hotloud FTW3 I currently have. If it performs about the same, then I guess it's just bad case airflow.

I got a feeling you'll be about 5 to 7 degrees cooler and decently quieter, looking forward to the update

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
That's even worse than mine...

What kind of case airflow do you have?

1 fan back, 2 fans top, 5 fans in the front with 4 on the radiator. Using a corsair crystal 570x.

My power and memory temp are always at like 70c or lower while GPU easily hits 80c+

Edit: i kept thinking what if my power and GPU temps were switched? I thought for most the power temp would stay highest.

First thing I noticed with the Strix: coil whine. Now... this is with my door off as I just installed it and need to put everything back together. But it's definitely there. Probably won't be noticeable though when it's all closed up and my headphones are on.

First attempt to hit 2000mhz and it crashed. Will have to fiddle with the voltage knobs now.

The Dude

First thing I noticed with the Strix: coil whine. Now... this is with my door off as I just installed it and need to put everything back together. But it's definitely there. Probably won't be noticeable though when it's all closed up and my headphones are on.

First attempt to hit 2000mhz and it crashed. Will have to fiddle with the voltage knobs now.

EDIT: That doesn't seem to help. So it's stuck at 1974mhz. Wow that's kinda low.

Damn that sucks to hear about coil whine, I really lucked out I guess on that aspect.

So what's your offsets you're able to achieve jim, not able to bump any higher?

Because that seems like it's completely stock and not even able to oc at all with that type of clock speed, which seems like that might be a dud. Damn man I'm bummed for ya, if you can't at least reach 2000 or 2012 stable id probably try least one more.

Damn that sucks to hear about coil whine, I really lucked out I guess on that aspect.

So what's your clocks you're able to achieve jim, not able to bump any higher?

Because that seems like it's completely stock and not even able to oc at all with that type of clock speed, which seems like that might be a dud. Damn man I'm bummed for ya, if you can't at least reach 2000 or 2012 stable id probably try least one more.

If I increase the voltage all the way, it settles at exactly 2000mhz (+44 on the core). Which is about 25mhz lower than my best FTW3. I can't really complain I guess.

Will put my door back on and test the temps after 20-30 minutes of benchmarking in Heaven.

EDIT: Crashed. 2000mhz not stable.

Temps seem to come in around 69 degrees at 47% GPU fan speed when punishing it nonstop in Heaven. So cooler and quieter than the FTW3. Shocker.

The Dude

If I increase the voltage all the way, it settles at exactly 2000mhz (+44 on the core). Which is about 25mhz lower than my best FTW3. I can't really complain I guess.

Will put my door back on and test the temps after 20-30 minutes of benchmarking in Heaven.

EDIT: Crashed. 2000mhz not stable.

Temps seem to come in around 69 degrees at 47% GPU fan speed when punishing it nonstop in Heaven. So cooler and quieter than the FTW3. Shocker.

65%ish fan speed I found to be the sweet spot I think. That's a shame on the clock speed tho. I'd definitely try another, and if that one sucks then call it but mine has been impressive I can't imagine you getting a second like that one

I have the fan curve set to go apeshit at 75 degrees and to stay quiet under that. 47% and I can't even hear it. I call that a win.

I don't know how I feel about swapping it for maybe 50mhz more on the core. Also, the memory does OC higher. Not enough to make up the difference but here's how they score in Superposition:

EVGA FTW3
2Cr6krQ.png

Asus Strix

I'll take ~100 points less for a cooler, quieter card with a far less obnoxious LED

I haven't dialed in the memory so it could go higher yet, but I want to see how it handles in Mankind Divided and Battlefield 1 at ~4K first.

EDIT: Never even has to hit 45% fan speed in actual games. I'm in love. I wish it clocked higher but I'm happy.

The Dude

I have the fan curve set to go apeshit at 75 degrees and to stay quiet under that. 47% and I can't even hear it. I call that a win.

I don't know how I feel about swapping it for maybe 50mhz more on the core. Also, the memory does OC higher. Not enough to make up the difference but here's how they score in Superposition:

EVGA FTW3

Asus Strix

I'll take ~100 points less for a cooler, quieter card with a far less obnoxious LED

I haven't dialed in the memory so it could go higher yet, but I want to see how it handles in Mankind Divided and Battlefield 1 at ~4K first.

EDIT: Never even has to hit 45% fan speed in actual games. I'm in love. I wish it clocked higher but I'm happy.

Good deal than man, was assuming you might of not been totally happy but glad to see you are. I know I am with my card and I'll be sure to look at asus cards from here on out easily.

Isn't it nuts how it's just so much cooler and quieter it is compared to the ftw3?

Good deal than man, was assuming you might of not been totally happy but glad to see you are. I know I am with my card and I'll be sure to look at asus cards from here on out easily.

Isn't it nuts how it's just so much cooler and quieter it is compared to the ftw3?

Yes. It is nuts. I thought maybe I just landed a faulty FTW3, but then I got a replacement and it was the same.

I always try and get whichever card fits my needs. So if Asus keeps this up, then I'll gladly stick with them. It helps that the Aura software can sync the LEDs on my Mobo, RAM, and Graphics card.

Now...

Since it makes more sense for me to run the cables down in front, I really need some cable combs!

Arkanius

Oh man, finally bought my Hybrid kit for my 1080 Ti FE...
I'm let's say... disappointed:

First of all, I was promised "below 50C degrees on full load" which... is not happening. I swapped fans for a push/pull config with two Noctuas NF-S12A at 70% fan speed and my temperature keeps rising to 75C (Furmark Stress test) and above (Bitcoin mining rised to 85C). I'm going to try replacing with a NF-P12 fan but I doubt it will make THAT MUCH improvement. I'm boosting to 1820-1890 Mhz by the way.

Idle temps are fantastic. 25-30C, which is 10 degrees cooler than the previous. Makes sense.

Then the pump. Oh god the pump. It vibrates a lot, and makes lot's of noise. My computer had a great sound profile other than the FE cooler, and now, it makes noise in both Idle and Load due the pump. I have it on the correct orientation, but it still makes a lot of noise which seems to be due the pump running at full speed (1800 RPMs)

Not happy with the price EVGA asked for it. (150€+)

Pagusas

Elden Member

First of all, I was promised "below 50C degrees on full load" which... is not happening. I swapped fans for a push/pull config with two Noctuas NF-S12A at 70% fan speed and my temperature keeps rising to 75C (Furmark Stress test) and above (Bitcoin mining rised to 85C). I'm going to try replacing with a NF-P12 fan but I doubt it will make THAT MUCH improvement. I'm boosting to 1820-1890 Mhz by the way.

Idle temps are fantastic. 25-30C, which is 10 degrees cooler than the previous. Makes sense.

Then the pump. Oh god the pump. It vibrates a lot, and makes lot's of noise. My computer had a great sound profile other than the FE cooler, and now, it makes noise in both Idle and Load due the pump. I have it on the correct orientation, but it still makes a lot of noise which seems to be due the pump running at full speed (1800 RPMs)

I think it's a dud bud. Replace it. Those are worst temps (both idle and load) than most of us our getting on air.

Best thing about dropping the FTW3 is that I no longer need to stress over triple temperature monitoring. Also, no more Precision. I like having afterburner back :)

I don't think all hybrids will run below 50 degrees at full load, but I think hovering around there is more or less expected. I would hope for something between 55-60 for the price to be worth it. But 75-85 degrees? That's no better than an air cooler. And slapping on a new fan shouldn't be necessary.

My first thought was that maybe the cooler wasn't applied quite right? I've never used one though but those results seem very.... off. Could just be faulty.

Those clocks are probably normal if you're not applying additional overclocks. The only cards that boost higher than that out of the box are also clocked higher out of the box.

paskowitz

RMA it. That is not right. No hybrid kit should ever get above 65c. I have a 980 Ti Hybrid and in Furmark the hottest it got was 63c with a single Noctua fan at like 50%.

I would check the paste install / seating on the GPU. Seems like there might be an issue there. OTOH, if the pump is silly loud just RMA it and hope the next one is a bit better.

Just about any hybrid/AIO is going to be noisier than air at idle. Fans on most air cooled cars are generally silent or near silent these days. If a pump has to run it's probably going to be louder.

Yes, the price on the EVGA unit is outrageous, but... what the market will bear apparently.

Going to take advantage of Amazon's generous replacement policy and get another Strix sent to me. Wouldn't mind doing away with the coil whine if possible.

Otherwise, I am very very impressed with how SILENT this card is. It's crazy. I'm keeping my fans at 45% and it does not exceed 70°C. And that's before I replace my stock case fans with something better.

The Dude

Going to take advantage of Amazon's generous replacement policy and get another Strix sent to me. Wouldn't mind doing away with the coil whine if possible.

Otherwise, I am very very impressed with how SILENT this card is. It's crazy. I'm keeping my fans at 45% and it does not exceed 70°C. And that's before I replace my stock case fans with something better.

Yea it's really solid, same with mine... Planning to get a few noctua fans and I'm sure I'll save even a few more degrees. Hopefully you get one without coil whine, I'd of done the same if mine had any.

I still can't get over the difference. My ftw3 was high 60s instantly almost and this levels at 57 58 59ish and has cracked 60 once, just good stuff for air

Dave_6

Yea it's really solid, same with mine... Planning to get a few noctua fans and I'm sure I'll save even a few more degrees. Hopefully you get one without coil whine, I'd of done the same if mine had any.

I still can't get over the difference. My ftw3 was high 60s instantly almost and this levels at 57 58 59ish and has cracked 60 once, just good stuff for air

Which case are you using?

Yeah mine doesn't quite run that cool. That's very nearly hybrid cooling performance.

Are you actually putting the card at 100% load to see that? Or just gaming with an FPS cap?

The Dude

Yeah mine doesn't quite run that cool. That's very nearly hybrid cooling performance.

Are you actually putting the card at 100% load to see that? Or just gaming with an FPS cap?

Gaming, running 4k@60 maxed settings. Smooth as silk and just cool as hell, very impressive.

Gaming, running 4k@60 maxed settings.

Not in Mankind Divided or Quantum Break you aren't :p

Only in those games do I hit my max temps because the GPU usage is constantly 100%. I'm getting around 45 fps in Mankind Divided and the card is using something like 8300MB of VRAM o_O

In Battlefield 1, I actually run a good deal cooler because even at ~4K there's GPU power to spare and I cap at 60. I don't think it gets hotter than 63 in that game.

The Dude

Not in Mankind Divided or Quantum Break you aren't :p

Only in those games do I hit my max temps because the GPU usage is constantly 100%. I'm getting around 45 fps in Mankind Divided and the card is using something like 8300MB of VRAM o_O

In Battlefield 1, I actually run a good deal cooler because even at ~4K there's GPU power to spare and I cap at 60. I don't think it gets hotter than 63 in that game.

Ha yea, MD is jacked up in general with how they optimized it. But since it's a bit older now I only ran in to chdck it out, i can hold 60 but was a slight adjustment.

Overall tho the card just isn't struggling, That's what is key. Mainly been in prey and Nier atm, witcher is amazingly built... That game runs so good it's just nuts.

Ha yea, MD is jacked up in general with how they optimized it. But since it's a bit older now I only ran in to chdck it out, i can hold 60 but was a slight adjustment.

I never beat it because I was unhappy with my performance on a 980Ti. Shocker that the card was too VRAM limited for the game. I haven't actually messed with the settings because I can handle that game at 45 FPS. Doesn't bother me.

Prey is on my list. I know that game runs amazingly well so no worries there.

Gotta see what's coming because this card is hungry for new games :)

Hi Guys, to save reading so many pages is there a general consensus best aftermarket for performance and reliability 1080ti?

I went with gigabyte gaming edition for my 980ti and its ran perfectly so wondering what the go is this time around. Price is not an issue.

rtcn63

Hi Guys, to save reading so many pages is there a general consensus best aftermarket for performance and reliability 1080ti?

I went with gigabyte gaming edition for my 980ti and its ran perfectly so wondering what the go is this time around. Price is not an issue.

Asus Strix appears to have the best cooling + noise performance, but I've seen people post issues about all the models. Coil whine in particular seems nearly unavoidable.

All 1080ti's perform ~the same under a decent air cooler.

Asus Strix, but I've seen people post issues about all the models. Coil whine in particular seems nearly unavoidable.

Reliability is definitely more important than performance since ive had asus cards in the past and had issues which is why i switched to Gigabyte in the first place.

rtcn63

Reliability is definitely more important than performance since ive had asus cards in the past and had issues which is why i switched to Gigabyte in the first place.

The Gigabyte Auros cards sadly seem to be the most problematic of the current 1080ti's. EVGA has great customer service and MSI's noise + cooling is probably second best overall.

Got in my EVGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition today (11G-P4-6393-KR). Haven't touched clocks, everything is running at default.

- Letting the computer sit idle at the desktop for 15 minutes results in an unwaivering 33°C.
- Browsing around the net, doing various 2D stuff results in 34-35°C.
- Running a stress test that puts the GPU at 99%+ utilization for 10 minutes puts it at 70°C, that's as high as it would go.

Running an old-school Antec Nine Hundred case with two intake fans in the front, one outtake in the back and a big 120mm outtake on the top. I keep it at 72°F in my home. Computer sits on a hardwood floor in the corner next to my desk.

I'm pretty happy with those temps, cannot complain at all. I suppose I'll install the EVGA software now and see what I can do. My goal is to keep it under 75°C at load.

EDIT: Also, at full load after about 10 minutes, the fan was only spinning at 50%. Noise level was fine but the TV was on in the other room and my children were making some noise, so it would've been hard to get a good gauge on noise levels.

Sounds unlucky for you, but I've seen the least complaints about the Asus cards with regards to the 1080ti. Solid cooling\noise and decent performance. I'd easily recommend it over the EVGA FTW3 (which I went through 2 of before giving up).

I went Gigabyte for the 980ti because it was one of the coolest running cards out of the lot.

Bliany

So I entered the queue to Step-Up my 1080 FTW2 to the 1080 Ti SC Black about two weeks ago and have yet to hear anything back. I'm prepared to wait as long as necessary but does anyone know how long it may take?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Finally put in the 1080 Ti FTW3. No problems so far.

My Fire Strike benchmarks practically doubled from 10.5k to 20.2k. 😆

Time Spy at 8.8k.

Yeah, everything is stock. 🤐

I guess the next thing to do is get a VR headset, but maybe down the road.

Bar81

So I entered the queue to Step-Up my 1080 FTW2 to the 1080 Ti SC Black about two weeks ago and have yet to hear anything back. I'm prepared to wait as long as necessary but does anyone know how long it may take?

you'll be waiting a while. Two months if you're lucky. They still haven't dealt with all step ups from the 12th.

Melubas

So since there is no more information on Vega yet I will probably be getting a 1080 ti today instead. The MSI Gaming X is about 100 dollars off today so it is much cheaper than the others. From what I understand it shouldn't perform more than maybe one fps worse than the ASUS Strix OC? Anyone have an MSI Gaming X and happy with it? I will be gaming in 4k only and have an overclocked 4770k to couple it with.

Had a bit of a scare last night. Installed my new 1080Ti, booted up no problems. Ran a few 3DMark tests to make sure it was running as expected, no problems. Ran about 10-20 minutes of stress to test temperatures, no problems. Played about 30 minutes of WoW, no problems.

Then BAM....monitors shut off and go into power saver. I can still hear the game in the background, computer appears to be running fine other than the fact that I can't see anything. Re-seated the DP connections on both monitors, nothing. Cycled power on both monitors by pulling the power cable, nothing.

I powered off the computer, waited a few seconds, then powered back on. The fans on the 1080Ti revved up to full speed (it was LOUD). Let it do that for about 30 seconds to see if anything was going to happen but it kept on, so I powered it back down.

Opened everything up to see what was going on, nothing looked amiss. I took out the 1080Ti and put my 1070 back in. Since the 1070 takes only one 8-pin, I went to remove the extra 6-pin I had put in for the 1080Ti, just to get it out of the way, and to my surprise, the cable pulled right away from my modular PSU. Since I had the 1070 already in, I powered on, it worked fine. Swapped back in the 1080Ti, made sure every single power connection clicked in and was snug, then powered everything back on. Success, back in and working fine.

I guess the connector on the PSU slowly worked itself out since I didn't get it clicked in all the way. Lesson learned, I'm hoping that was the actual issue and not a red herring.

So since there is no more information on Vega yet I will probably be getting a 1080 ti today instead. The MSI Gaming X is about 100 dollars off today so it is much cheaper than the others. From what I understand it shouldn't perform more than maybe one fps worse than the ASUS Strix OC? Anyone have an MSI Gaming X and happy with it? I will be gaming in 4k only and have an overclocked 4770k to couple it with.

All of the 1080Tis will perform within 1-2 FPS of each other, yeah. So the only real deciding factors are cooling, noise, and aesthetics. The MSI is a solid choice if you like the look.

My Fire Strike benchmarks practically doubled from 10.5k to 20.2k. ��

Time Spy at 8.8k.

Superposition is the new hotness :p

So lately I've been getting a ton of crashes in games. Rime was particularly bad, but now FF14 is acting up too. Rime didn't give any helpful errors but the one FF14 gives points to it being a card stability issue. God, I'm really convinced my Zotac Amp Extreme is just... Bad. I got an Asus Strix coming today so hopefully that will resolve these issues.

So lately I've been getting a ton of crashes in games. Rime was particularly bad, but now FF14 is acting up too. Rime didn't give any helpful errors but the one FF14 gives points to it being a card stability issue. God, I'm really convinced my Zotac Amp Extreme is just... Bad. I got an Asus Strix coming today so hopefully that will resolve these issues.

Sounds like it could be bad. Mine is still running great.

Hopefully your STRIX isn't one with bad coil whine!

I really need to test my STRIX again. FTW3 is going to go to work and used in a computer there as that thing is not being used in any of my systems at home.

The Dude

I'm just finally really happy with my card. Found the right drivers for Prey and it's a beautiful thing seeing everything run smooth and cool. Played for 2 hours there and held the same Temps throughout, that's a winner in my book.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm just finally really happy with my card. Found the right drivers for Prey and it's a beautiful thing seeing everything run smooth and cool. Played for 2 hours there and held the same Temps throughout, that's a winner in my book.

What drivers are you using for Prey? I'm having to use 378.92 as anything higher breaks HDR for Mass Effect and Windows 10 Creators Update.

Arkanius

RMA it. That is not right. No hybrid kit should ever get above 65c. I have a 980 Ti Hybrid and in Furmark the hottest it got was 63c with a single Noctua fan at like 50%.

The temperatures stabilized.
I changed my Noctua fan for a NF-P12 at 70% fanspeed in push and a NF-S12A at 70%
The temperatures now go up to 70C on mining.

The problem here is, my room is a heat trap. It has very high ambient temperatures. if I turn the AC on, the GPU only goes to 65C at max while mining.

Load temperatures during game is 62-61C
I don't know what provoked the changes. Maybe I had air in the pump. The noise also got better, it's just the damn vibration now (1800 RPMs from the pump all the time)

The Dude

What drivers are you using for Prey? I'm having to use 378.92 as anything higher breaks HDR for Mass Effect and Windows 10 Creators Update.

Those are the drivers I'm using, which is good because I was close to calling it at one point but I read others mention the 378.92 and it works great. Not often I gotta roll back that far but glad they work, the game is so incredible atmosphere wise I'd of hated to not be able to enjoy it.

paskowitz

The temperatures stabilized.
I changed my Noctua fan for a NF-P12 at 70% fanspeed in push and a NF-S12A at 70%
The temperatures now go up to 70C on mining.

The problem here is, my room is a heat trap. It has very high ambient temperatures. if I turn the AC on, the GPU only goes to 65C at max while mining.

Load temperatures during game is 62-61C
I don't know what provoked the changes. Maybe I had air in the pump. The noise also got better, it's just the damn vibration now (1800 RPMs from the pump all the time)

If you are mining, in the future, I'd go custom loop.

All right, got my Asus installed. Get about 450 points less (coming out to a hit of 3.5 average FPS) than the Amp Extreme on Superposition 4k, with it boosting to around 1900Mhz which is just fine for me since all I care about is being able to maintain FPS between 60 and 100 at 3440x1440 and letting Gsync take care of the rest. Playing through the level of Rime that gave me trouble with crashing before, the temperature averages around 74 though HWmonitor shows a peak of 77, compared to the Zotac hitting around 83 constantly there. Fans are a tad on the louder side when compared to the fan curve I had set on the Zotac, but I could set a fan curve again to bring it down if I wanted to. Not sure I do though, I can probably settle with this. I wouldn't call the noise silent or really even quiet, but it seems to be a deeper pitch than the Zotac and so is less bothersome.

During that playthrough of that level in Rime, I had crashed on it about 5 or more times with the Zotac. This time, I didn't crash at all! Hopefully this means that either swapping the card out or the DDU fresh install of drivers fixed that problem, and I'll see if FF14 crashes as well now once I play it.

Combined with no annoying flashing light, the fans not instantly revving to 100% when coming out of idle fan stop, and I believe no coil whine at least that I can notice with my case closed I'll say the Asus is a winner. Only downside is the RGB lighting isn't QUITE as nice as the Zotac (less of it, and the white leans towards purple). It does look good along with my Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler though, better than the Zotac did, and since it's a bit shorter it probably helps the non-static optimized case fan right in front of it. I'll have to try and take some pictures of my rig sometime if this is finally in its finished (for now) state and get the return process for the Zotac started.

Top Bottom