• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Lime

Did any of you buy the 1080ti from Amazon.de? And did any of you receive the For Honor / Ghost Recon promo code? My friend didn't receive hers and now amazon.de tells her that 1080ti isn't included in the promo, while xx70/xx60/xx80 are.

dr_rus

100% fan speed required to keep it there though? That's the loudest sound I've ever heard from something inside of a PC.

Is 100c normal\acceptable though for power temps? The folks on the EVGA forums are suggesting that power\memory should be within 5 degrees of the GPU temps on this card and that mine might be defective.

I need to give the card another night of testing before deciding what to do.

Well, you'll probably see temps close to 100C with fan running at auto. As for it being normal - it's kinda normal for 1080Ti cards even though it is a bit worrying as such temps will inevitably lead to stability issues and possible h/w failure at some point. How much time will pass till this point is anyone's guess though.

You can do a RMA and see if the new card will be any better. No other way of making sure that it's normal or not I'm afraid.

100% fan speed required to keep it there though? That's the loudest sound I've ever heard from something inside of a PC.

Is 100c normal\acceptable though for power temps? The folks on the EVGA forums are suggesting that power\memory should be within 5 degrees of the GPU temps on this card and that mine might be defective.

I need to give the card another night of testing before deciding what to do.

I don't know how they stay competitive with Amazon. That turnaround time for an RMA would be enough for me to swear them off forever. I've never had to deal with their returns process before. I lucked out on several builds in the past I guess.

It's honestly based on location. Newegg is better for me because they are so close that everything is done within a day. If push comes to shove I can always drive directly to the warehouse, it's about 13 miles away from me, if I really want to get something done. Amazon is good too but I usually just go with who has cheaper prices on any component.

Not everyone has that option I understand.

Anyone? Going to microcenter soon

STRIX is better and I've seen less issues with it compared to the Aorus. You will be paying a premium price on the STRIX though. Not that $30 matters when you are already committed to spending $750+ IMO.

Kvik

What are the issues with the Aorus?

Quoting myself from an earlier reply.

For what it's worth, the two of most common issue with the Aorus was:

1. People overclocking with Aorus software instead of MSI Afterburner, resulting in crashes all over the place.
2. TIM application and/or thermal pads not being positioned properly from the factory, resulting in temperature jumps and the card throttling.

Problem no.1 can be rectified easily by uninstalling Aorus software and using Afterburner exclusively, and as for no.2, although it seems daunting, I don't consider it a hard task to do and won't void your warranty (no screws are covered by stickers as a means of warranty check)

I'd say most Gaffers would recommend getting a Zotac instead of Aorus, since on paper it seems to have a good balance of noise/thermal management (practically the only two things you should look out for in 1080 Ti)

However, since I have two units of Aorus Xtreme, I will recommend you that, instead, because of two things:

- The noise pitch is rather low at 100% fan speed (I'd say it hums rather than shrieks like other units)
- Its thermal management is great. With custom fan curve to keep the temp at 70 or lower you can pretty much sustain ~2000 Mhz without much effort.

There's also the power limit of this card which is 150%, the highest of any units available. But it shouldn't matter much since you can target 2000 Mhz if you keep your temp under control. Even a golden chip can only go up to 2100 Mhz.

Power limit of all 1080 Ti are set to 375W when you max the slider out.

The percentage increase over base power limit looks different between cards because the base power limit is set differently.

If you are willing to max out that power limit slider (and why wouldn't you be on a $750 video card?), then all the 1080 Ti are effectively the same there.

The first batch or so of Aorus Extreme was very problematic, with a lot of cards that could not hold the factory OC without crashing. I'm one of a large number of people who had to send my first Aorus back to Newegg for another one. The second one does work fine though, although the thermal paste job is still not very good and I'm planning on tearing it down and re-pasting it myself at some point to get temps lower.

In unrelated news, I'm impressed by how far Nvidia Share (Shadowplay) has come on the 10 series. Performance loss is now down to around 5-6% with Share enabled. It's basically at the point where you really can leave Share running and constantly recording your gameplay like the PS4 and Bone do and you just hit the hotkey to record your last x minutes of gaming if something awesome happens.

TGMIII

I'd say most Gaffers would recommend getting a Zotac instead of Aorus, since on paper it seems to have a good balance of noise/thermal management (practically the only two things you should look out for in 1080 Ti)

However, since I have two units of Aorus Xtreme, I will recommend you that, instead, because of two things:

- The noise pitch is rather low at 100% fan speed (I'd say it hums rather than shrieks like other units)
- Its thermal management is great. With custom fan curve to keep the temp at 70 or lower you can pretty much sustain ~2000 Mhz without much effort.

There's also the power limit of this card which is 150%, the highest of any units available. But it shouldn't matter much since you can target 2000 Mhz if you keep your temp under control. Even a golden chip can only go up to 2100 Mhz.

The Aorus was what I was planning to pick up since it's a fair bit cheaper than most of the other 10880ti offerings in the UK yet seems to perform really well on noise/temps levels.
Aorus - £680
Zotac AMP - £685
MSI Gaming X - £709
Strix - £780
Zotac AMP Extreme - £830

Going with the Aorus might end up in a bit of a lottery then it seems?

Kvik

In unrelated news, I'm impressed by how far Nvidia Share (Shadowplay) has come on the 10 series. Performance loss is now down to around 5-6% with Share enabled. It's basically at the point where you really can leave Share running and constantly recording your gameplay like the PS4 and Bone do and you just hit the hotkey to record your last x minutes of gaming if something awesome happens.

It's a shame that the only way to use Shadowplay is through GFE. If only you can run this process individually without GFE, I bet you that 6% performance loss can be further reduced. :-\

The Dude

So is it safe to say most strix owners here are really happy?

I'm debating between strix and msi for my next GPU order, can't decide.

PFD

The Aorus was what I was planning to pick up since it's a fair bit cheaper than most of the other 10880ti offerings in the UK yet seems to perform really well on noise/temps levels.
Aorus - £680
Zotac AMP - £685
MSI Gaming X - £709
Strix - £780
Zotac AMP Extreme - £830

Going with the Aorus might end up in a bit of a lottery then it seems?

The Zotac AMP (non-Extreme) is an excellent card and seems to be better than the Aorus based on the reviews I've seen

So I went to the EVGA forums to post my experiences with temps on my FTW3. Quite a few forum members pointed out that my temps were above normal, and that one of my PWR sensors was reading a lot hotter than the others. One guy suggested I had a bad memory VRM.

An official EVGA staff member saw my thread and sent me an email directly offering to RMA the card. I had no idea they offered cross-shipping. They do charge you for the new card temporarily, but they'll refund the cost once they receive the bad one. I think that's more than fair, as I'll be able to use the card I have until the new one arrives.

So even though I went through Newegg, EVGA's customer service saves the day.

Bought the aorus. Applied a minor overclock and it seems to be running great. Forgot to check the temps though. Also bought prey and it's running at 4k locked at 60fps. Very happy so far.

STRIX has had more reports of coil whine than the other cards although that could be purely anecdotal bases on users complaining more on forums. I've always had some sort of issue with Asus products. Mine included even if it is mostly masked with side on and fans a little more aggressive.

I wouldn't count Zotac out if possible. Quietest and coolest from my testing while pushing 2k+. Even with a higher fan curve it barely makes much of a nlise impact with fan at 70%.

You can't go wrong with any of the other 2.5 or 3 slot cards beaides the Aorus as you already know.

The Dude

STRIX has had more reports of coil whine than the other cards although that could be purely anecdotal bases on users complaining more on forums. I've always had some sort of issue with Asus products. Mine included even if it is mostly masked with side on and fans a little more aggressive.

I wouldn't count Zotac out if possible. Quietest and coolest from my testing while pushing 2k+. Even with a higher fan curve it barely makes much of a nlise impact with fan at 70%.

You can't go wrong with any of the other 2.5 or 3 slot cards beaides the Aorus as you already know.

Yea, I totally get that about zotac. I want to but a part of me just has a hard time with it as it's really new territory in terms of companies I buy from, just hard to pull the trigger. I wonder if the coil whine is more fur to people pushing higher frames like you mentioned and 4k@60 would not do that.

I'm torn with my ftw, It performs decent but man it drives me nuts that it's not only loud but Temps aren't anything impressive, low 60s would be impressive but also that my clocks basically sit at 2000. I know it's just how the 3.0 boost works but I just want one more shot at a card that holds higher due to keeping lower Temps

Luminaire

OK!

So, after about a weekish with my Strix, I haven't heard any coilwhine really. That's not to say it's completely devoid of it, just that I can't hear it. I don't sit very far from the PC and there's not a ton of ambient noise to block it out, so I'd say so far so good.

I've mostly played FFXIV, which isn't pushing the card to its limits, but I've also put in a little bit of time with Battlefield 1 and haven't noticed anything. Fans kicked on at some point but the card overall has been mega quiet.

My only complaint with the card is the size, it barely fits into my case and its actually being held up by a tiny bit of an HDD bay. I suppose that eliminates sag, but a new case is due soon. Overall I think it's a great card. The TWEAK II software is really easy to use, especially if you wanna fiddle with the colors of the LEDs. There was a neat option to change color based on temp, but I prefer to have a solid color. I haven't done more than just fiddle with the overclock settings, but I'll push it some more in the next week and see what I can get away with.

My Strix only really whines when I have benchmarks running at 200fps+. :p
Is there a program which limits my fps to 144fps? As that's the maximum my monitor is capable of.

Pagusas

Elden Member
How's your Temps, clocks and noise level with the msi?

Pushing +100% power, 115 power limit, +75 on the core and 550 on memory, I maintain 73c at 60% fan after hours of heavy gaming. Noise is non-existent, the case sits in my media center and any major noise from it would bother me. Before my case fan mod she would idle at 55c with the gpu fans off. Now with the gpu fans off she ideals at 35c. (Added 3 silent 80mm fans to exhaust air from the gpu area)

She'll hit 2025mhz in benchmarks for awhile before dropping down and settling at 1999.

Overal very happy with the cards thermal, noise and consistent performance. After the psu swap she doesn't emmit noticeable coil whine anymore either :)

knitoe

I have no idea how some of you are getting so good temps. While playing Mass Effect Andromeda @ 4K, my Strix regularly hits 73C (default fan settings) inside a Corsair 540, with Kraken X62 AIO and 3x 140mm case fans. Maybe, it's because I like to keep it silence so all other fans run on "quiet" settings.

cHaOs667

Did any of you buy the 1080ti from Amazon.de? And did any of you receive the For Honor / Ghost Recon promo code? My friend didn't receive hers and now amazon.de tells her that 1080ti isn't included in the promo, while xx70/xx60/xx80 are.
It depends on when your friend bought the card. The 1080Ti got very late in the promotion.

I've bought mine from Alternate and received all codes.

Wallach

I have no idea how some of you are getting so good temps. While playing Mass Effect Andromeda @ 4K, my Strix regularly hits 73C (default fan settings) inside a Corsair 540, with Kraken X62 AIO and 3x 140mm case fans. Maybe, it's because I like to keep it silence so all other fans run on "quiet" settings.

Could be the fan speeds, ambient temps, or just general case flow being turbulent. Even then, there is little practical difference between 68 and 73 degrees. At 73 peak under load you could still push the fan speed lower and not throttle.

The Dude

Pushing +100% power, 115 power limit, +75 on the core and 550 on memory, I maintain 73c at 60% fan after hours of heavy gaming. Noise is non-existent, the case sits in my media center and any major noise from it would bother me. Before my case fan mod she would idle at 55c with the gpu fans off. Now with the gpu fans off she ideals at 35c. (Added 3 silent 80mm fans to exhaust air from the gpu area)

She'll hit 2025mhz in benchmarks for awhile before dropping down and settling at 1999.

Overal very happy with the cards thermal, noise and consistent performance. After the psu swap she doesn't emmit noticeable coil whine anymore either :)

Sounds solid, I'm torn between that and a Strix atm... What sucks about my evga is mainly the noise, I sit about 10 feet away from my Pc when gaming on the big screen and its loud, I'm not even sitting close to it and it sounds like I have a jet sitting in my corner.

knitoe

Could be the fan speeds, ambient temps, or just general case flow being turbulent. Even then, there is little practical difference between 68 and 73 degrees. At 73 peak under load you could still push the fan speed lower and not throttle.

I have central AC so ambient is ~24C and case flow is great in a Corsiar 540. I guessing it's low fan speeds. I just like my PC as quiet as possible. Although I can easily hear them, the Strix fans don't bother me while gaming, but happy they shutoff while I am doing light work. Maybe, I am just more sensitive to noise.

Pro

Phew glad I checked the EVGA Step Up list today. Saw the Ti FE was replaced by the SC Black Edition. Had only 2 days left and my current Step Up was still in Queue. So I cancelled the FE and started a Step Up for the SC Black Edition. And now we play the waiting game.

telasoman

Just ordered the MSI 1080ti, first time going away from EVGA... will I regret this? I sure hope not.

The MSI Twin Frozr setup has always been great. You should be fine with MSI hardware now.

People planning or considering getting the card: GO HYBRID.

Just trust me. Yes it's a little bit more but you're already buying a fucking 700-dollar GPU.

Some people are afraid of liquid cooling in case of leaks etc. Its sometimes difficult to find the hybrids in stock compared to other cards and impatience kicks in. (this has happened to me before and I ended up getting a NZXT Kraken G10 after the fact)

People planning or considering getting the card: GO HYBRID.

Just trust me. Yes it's a little bit more but you're already buying a fucking 700-dollar GPU.

I went Hybrid with the Evga. I'm running into an issue though with my Haf x case. Getting it to fit is not working out. Would you or anyone else happen to have a case recommendation that would support the Evga sc2 hybrid?

Quantum Break still shits all over this card at 3440x1440. I thought I'd be closer to 60 than 30. Tried turning down settings but nothing gets me close. Yikes.

Well I finally bought a OLED 4K TV and it's going to be arriving Monday or Tuesday. I can't wait to see a ton of games in beautiful 4K. Unfortunately, I only use it for the few games I use a controller with. Anyone have a good list of settings to achieve a close to locked 60 fps at 4K with a 1080 ti?

cyen

Quantum Break still shits all over this card at 3440x1440. I thought I'd be closer to 60 than 30. Tried turning down settings but nothing gets me close. Yikes.

Steam version or Windows Store? Nvidia cards only get decent performance on Steam DX11 Version.

Wife was like, "What do you want for your birthday"? Haven't had a PC upgrade since the 980ti a few years ago so I told her the 1080ti thinking she'd shoot that shit down quick. She goes, "You deserve it, you've been working hard lately"

Fuck yeah. Should get here Monday.

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Are my eyes deceiving me or can I now step up to a 1080Ti SC black edition? Previously only the FE version was available?

If I'm not crazy, I'll put in my step up order now.

edit: yep. $40 to step up from my ICX 1080. Good decision to take advantage of that ICX upgarde was fucking good.

If you have one of the ICX 1080's and you've been waiting for a non-FE 1080Ti to upgrade to, you're time is now.

This is the card:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6393-KR

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Are my eyes deceiving me or can I now step up to a 1080Ti SC black edition? Previously only the FE version was available?

If I'm not crazy, I'll put in my step up order now.

edit: yep. $40 to step up from my ICX 1080. Good decision to take advantage of that ICX upgarde was fucking good.

If you have one of the ICX 1080's and you've been waiting for a non-FE 1080Ti to upgrade to, you're time is now.

This is the card:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6393-KR

EVGA's step up program and general customer support are awesome. I stepped up my 980 to the Ti a few years ago and it was super easy. Plus they let me keep my 980 until the Ti version arrived so I could still play my PC and just shipped the 980 back to them in the same box.

I also had a 680 with a lifetime warranty from them that died and they just replaced it with a 770 OC. It's kind of why I've stuck with EVGA since the 400 series of cards.

No? The monster air coolers shipping with the aftermarket cards are more than plenty to keep these things cool.

Cool relative to air coolers. What the fuck are you even talking about? Hybrid cards keep temps significantly lower than any "monster" cooler and are quiter, which was my original point.

Some people are afraid of liquid cooling in case of leaks etc. Its sometimes difficult to find the hybrids in stock compared to other cards and impatience kicks in. (this has happened to me before and I ended up getting a NZXT Kraken G10 after the fact)

Never heard of a hybrid leaking. Truly water cooled, sure, but that's a completely different setup.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

I can give her mine. I'm not going to use it. Not going to install Uplay just for those games. Let me know.

EVGA's step up program and general customer support are awesome. I stepped up my 980 to the Ti a few years ago and it was super easy. Plus they let me keep my 980 until the Ti version arrived so I could still play my PC and just shipped the 980 back to them in the same box.

I also had a 680 with a lifetime warranty from them that died and they just replaced it with a 770 OC. It's kind of why I've stuck with EVGA since the 400 series of cards.

Indeed. I've been going with EVGA since my 970 a few years back and I've had no compelling reason to switch, 1080 launch issues notwithstanding.

Feelsgoodman.

Cool relative to air coolers. What the fuck are you even talking about? Hybrid cards keep temps significantly lower than any "monster" cooler and are quiter, which was my original point.

What the fuck are YOU talking about? All you said in your post is that everyone should get a hybrid, which is unequivocally wrong. The vast majority of people are not gunning for every last bit of 2100 mhz and will be just fine with the custom aircooled cards available today. No one needs a hybrid and unless they are specifically interested in introducing watercooling into their setup with a hybrid, closed loop cooler, or a full custom loop, they would do better to stick with tried and true aircooling.

What the fuck are YOU talking about? All you said in your post is that everyone should get a hybrid, which is unequivocally wrong. The vast majority of people are not gunning for every last bit of 2100 mhz and will be just fine with the custom aircooled cards available today. No one needs a hybrid and unless they are specifically interested in introducing watercooling into their setup with a hybrid, closed loop cooler, or a full custom loop, they would do better to stick with tried and true aircooling.

I'm talking about your insinuation that hybrid cards are just for people trying to squeeze out a few more MHz. They aren't. There's a reason people keep asking which of the custom cards is better: because they're looking at performance, noise, and temps. That's what hybrids do better than air cards and suggesting the solution is somehow not tried and true as opposed to air cooling is nonsense.

Top Bottom