• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Eh it depends, I'm the type where I say if you're even contemplating it then go for it and have fun with the card. By the time whatever is out next there will be a reason to "wait" once again for the next thing, just dive in and enjoy the power. A 1080 to ti isn't a massive jump but a 980 ti to 1080 ti I personally feel is. However the bump I made from 1080 to 1080 ti feels pretty big so far in how 4k runs, so yea a leap from a 980 ti would be pretty decent. I say why wait, enjoy some of the best gaming you can achieve right now.

I'm only playing at 1080p right now anyways so it's not like I'd enjoy the full effect of an upgrade like that. I'll probably want to get a 4k monitor with my next GPU upgrade, so why not wait for something a little more powerful is my logic. :p

The Dude

I'm only playing at 1080p right now anyways so it's not like I'd enjoy the full effect of an upgrade like that. I'll probably want to get a 4k monitor with my next GPU upgrade, so why not wait for something a little more powerful is my logic. :p

Ah didn't catch that part, yea in that case hold. But 4k is amazing if you can eventually move to it.

I have really been enjoying playing games at 4k on my 65KS8000.

If I was at a desk or playing on a monitor, I would probably go with 1440 at 144

The Dude

I been here and there and everywhere in between and what I learned for my personal experience is that 4k@60 is absolutely spot on perfect for single player Pc gaming. If I played online shooters on Pc id probably have a second monitor at 100 or 144hz. I had an X34 that I sold and it was a beautiful monitor, but I find 4k60 to just be alot more enjoyable for my tastes.

I'll tell ya tho, it's pricey but my God it's worth it, but I jumped into an epson 5040ub and its a thing of beauty for Pc and ps4 gaming. Here's some shots if anyone is interested, these are 140" 4k. The sorcery that epson put into this projector is beyond words.

https://flic.kr/p/Q9YcZj

https://www.flickr.com/gp/150374694@N04/8h81hz

https://flic.kr/p/QnY4bn

Once I jumped into the world of projectors I've used my actual monitor less, this thing takes games and makes them absolutely stunning, it's almost hard to believe I've achieved gaming like this in my house. I do most of my actual online shooters on ps4 and there is no input lag at all, typically top of the rounds in BF1 and other games I play so there's no hindrance in terms of lag.

I sold the x34 and bought a nice Sony x800D which is a great TV for a monitor in itself, but I am using that for anything I use mouse and KB on.

Anyways, yea for me 4k60 is what I am loving big time.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I been here and there and everywhere in between and what I learned for my personal experience is that 4k@60 is absolutely spot on perfect for single player Pc gaming. If I played online shooters on Pc id probably have a second monitor at 100 or 144hz. I had an X34 that I sold and it was a beautiful monitor, but I find 4k60 to just be alot more enjoyable for my tastes.

I'll tell ya tho, it's pricey but my God it's worth it, but I jumped into an epson 5040ub and its a thing of beauty for Pc and ps4 gaming. Here's some shots if anyone is interested, these are 140" 4k. The sorcery that epson put into this projector is beyond words.

Once I jumped into the world of projectors I've used my actual monitor less, this thing takes games and makes them absolutely stunning, it's almost hard to believe I've achieved gaming like this in my house. I do most of my actual online shooters on ps4 and there is no input lag at all, typically top of the rounds in BF1 and other games I play so there's no hindrance in terms of lag.

I sold the x34 and bought a nice Sony x800D which is a great TV for a monitor in itself, but I am using that for anything I use mouse and KB on.

We will be upgrading to a 120" nice screen and projector next year, once quality 4k HDR projectors drop bellow the 8k mark. So excited for it :D

Just waiting on the next version/price drop of this baby: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-vp...ef:212,loc:2&gclid=CPjE8-7t6NMCFce4wAodTWgN5w

The Dude

We will be upgrading to a 120" nice screen and projector next year, once quality 4k HDR projectors drop bellow the 8k mark. So excited for it :D

Just waiting on the next version/price drop of this baby: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-vp...ef:212,loc:2&gclid=CPjE8-7t6NMCFce4wAodTWgN5w

Try to check out the Epson some time, you'll be amazed that they did what they did with it. And yea native 4k PJs will take awhile to drop, but I personally am in zero rush for a native 4k as this is pretty insane for the price. Plus some of the guys on avs said some would be hard pressed to even notice the differences which Is why In person it's pretty impressive. To me an image is an image, they've just been able to achieve as damn close to 4k as you're going to get that isn't 15k bucks, or even 8k.

Like for instance my Sony 43" 4k, it really doesn't look much different than the Epson in terms of pic quality. Like I had the Witcher going and switching between the two was incredible, biggest difference was the obvious one being a larger display than the other.

Epson did great with it. Only where they dropped the ball was some hdr stuff. But I'd never opt for any type of 4k device that's over 3000 bucks seeing what epson did for it, it's incredible

manfestival

Is the 970 not cutting it these days? Surely you can still do 1080p 60 with most modern titles with some settings tweaks?

The 970 does just fine but I kinda want to run everything on the highest settings without any hiccups rather than having to drop a thing here and there to get the same performance. I figured a 1070 or honestly a well priced 1080 would be a more future proof option. Just not wanting to drop 500 on a card

At current prices 1080 seems better choice if you don't mind paying bit more. There's no such thing as gpu fast enough.
How much more are we talking? I mean I may just drop all the cash at once if a deal is good enough.

paskowitz

I personally don't like the 4K gaming monitors out ATM. Prices with Gsync are too high, screen sizes are too low and color accuracy could be better IMO. A 4K/HDR LG OLED TV is IMO the sweet spot for 4K gaming. Projectors are great if you have the space and arguably make better use of 4K resolution, but IMO LG's OLEDs are hard to beat in terms of overall IQ.

I will say the quality control issues on the Acer X34 are PIA. Mine goes to 95Hz, has some back light bleed and minor coil whine with white images. New or used, doesn't matter, it is a lottery. VA panels are not much better (ghosting, poor viewing angles, lesser colors, etc).

Pagusas

Elden Member
Try to check out the Epson some time, you'll be amazed that they did what they did with it. And yea native 4k PJs will take awhile to drop, but I personally am in zero rush for a native 4k as this is pretty insane for the price. Plus some of the guys on avs said some would be hard pressed to even notice the differences which Is why In person it's pretty impressive. To me an image is an image, they've just been able to achieve as damn close to 4k as you're going to get that isn't 15k bucks, or even 8k.

Like for instance my Sony 43" 4k, it really doesn't look much different than the Epson in terms of pic quality. Like I had the Witcher going and switching between the two was incredible, biggest difference was the obvious one being a larger display than the other.

Epson did great with it. Only where they dropped the ball was some hdr stuff. But I'd never opt for any type of 4k device that's over 3000 bucks seeing what epson did for it, it's incredible

Video engineering is my career, I care more about the engineering side and enjoy this hobby for the tech side, so I'll notice a difference and get more fun out of calibrating and setting up than actually owning lol.

Hux1ey

Banned
The 970 does just fine but I kinda want to run everything on the highest settings without any hiccups rather than having to drop a thing here and there to get the same performance. I figured a 1070 or honestly a well priced 1080 would be a more future proof option. Just not wanting to drop 500 on a card

How much more are we talking? I mean I may just drop all the cash at once if a deal is good enough.

If I was you I'd wait for the next 70 card, I assume it will be early next year and should be as powerful as the 1080 TI. the 1070 is very good but I think your 970 has plenty of life left in it at 1080p.

The Dude

I personally don't like the 4K gaming monitors out ATM. Prices with Gsync are too high, screen sizes are too low and color accuracy could be better IMO. A 4K/HDR LG OLED TV is IMO the sweet spot for 4K gaming. Projectors are great if you have the space and arguably make better use of 4K resolution, but IMO LG's OLEDs are hard to beat in terms of overall IQ.

I will say the quality control issues on the Acer X34 are PIA. Mine goes to 95Hz, has some back light bleed and minor coil whine with white images. New or used, doesn't matter, it is a lottery. VA panels are not much better (ghosting, poor viewing angles, lesser colors, etc).

Yea my x34 was actually close to perfect, but I struggled with one thing and that was having to fiddle with games way to much, and not only that but I love the larger real estate of 4k. I felt like I was peering thru a mail slot with 21:9.

Video engineering is my career, I care more about the engineering side and enjoy this hobby for the tech side, so I'll notice a difference and get more fun out of calibrating and setting up than actually owning lol.

Ha gotcha. Yea I simply love projectors, prior to it I had a handful of dlp sets that I absolutely loved with my last being a Mitsubishi 840 82" and it was glorious. When I went to upgrade I couldn't go smaller and ended up rolling a BenQ HT2050 which for the price was fun but the Epson obviously crushes it. If people have a spare room for it, it's just a blast... Surround sound, huge screen, it's great...and it spoils a person big time.

Well... I caved in and ordered a Zotac Amp Extreme to go with an Acer X34 ultrawide I also bought at the same time. Don't even know if it'll fit in my case, the Fractal Design Define C. Fractal says it has 315mm of GPU clearance while Zotac says the Amp Extreme is 325mm long, but from everything I've seen the Amp Extreme is actually shorter than that, and then there's this build with a 1070 Amp Extreme (which Zotac also says is 325mm long) that fits in this case with a few millimeter to spare. All I can do is hope! If it wasn't for the red I'd go for the MSI, but my build is black/white themed. Why do MSI still insist on sticking to a specific color scheme when everyone else has moved to color neutral designs?

If the Zotac doesn't fit I may just for the MSI anyway, but I'm hoping it'll squeeze in there without issue.

Was really contemplating the Strix when I got a nowinstock alert for the EVGA FTW3. And I'm super impulsive so I pulled the trigger.

No ragrets.

Sadly it's Newegg and not Amazon. Which means shipping will take longer and they most likely have a worse return policy. So hopefully I'll have no desire to return it...

Really, more reports of hotter cards? I haven't looked around much yet but that's a shame if so.

Like I said honestly the transition to 1080 ti for me, has not been totally awesome like previous gpus.

If the ftw3 doesn't pan I'm just debating which one to try after, most strix reviews seem really solid, same with zotac and msi. But just not sure.
Few reports from guys on Reddit. Though whenever I check out a full review of the card, it seems to run cooler than the others. I'll find out first hand when I get mine on Tuesday (crossing my fingers for earlier though).

The Strix did seem solid and I was very close to pulling the trigger. I think it's one of the better looking cards, too. Some of these 1080TIs are just downright ugly lookin.

Acer X34 (cert refurb) drops to ~$650 every now an again. But yeah, the price is steep. 1440p/144 is the sweet spot ATM.

This is next on my list. A decently priced 3440x1440 100hz gsync monitor. I can never go back from 21:9.

Kvik

I must say, Nvidia's practice of only allowing key redemption via GFE is fucking shithouse. I absolutely detest the idea of having to install that absolute rubbish of a bloatware.

Why not still allow key redemption via webpage, like a decent company? Let me enter the S/N of the card for verification, and be done with it.

paskowitz

Was really contemplating the Strix when I got a nowinstock alert for the EVGA FTW3. And I'm super impulsive so I pulled the trigger.

No ragrets.

Sadly it's Newegg and not Amazon. Which means shipping will take longer and they most likely have a worse return policy. So hopefully I'll have no desire to return it...

Few reports from guys on Reddit. Though whenever I check out a full review of the card, it seems to run cooler than the others. I'll find out first hand when I get mine on Tuesday (crossing my fingers for earlier though).

The Strix did seem solid and I was very close to pulling the trigger. I think it's one of the better looking cards, too. Some of these 1080TIs are just downright ugly lookin.

This is next on my list. A decently priced 3440x1440 100hz gsync monitor. I can never go back from 21:9.

It really is a great monitor all things considered. Acer just came out with the Z35P (100-120Hz, VA panel, 1800R curve, 35"). And from what I have read the impressions are positive.

Really impressed by my EVGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition card. Coming from a 780Ti on a 1440p 144hz Gsync screen it's night and day. This card should last me a hell of a lot longer too.

The Dude

No ragrets.

Which reviews? The one that resonates a bit with me is what Steve said in the last one I watched that the Strix is what he feels is going to give you the best bang for your buck in terms of cooling and noise, and I might lean that way.

But today was a good day with my ftw3, I don't get why it was hotter the other night

I honestly can't hear my EVGA SC black edition and my case is next to me. That's for any amount of gaming. If I turn the fans way up of course I could but I'd never need to do that... I might try and overclock this weekend to see if I can hit 2050.

Fredrik

Asus is better in my experience. Just be warned there's a good chance it'll have some coil whine.
Coil whine is annoying. What makes you choose the ASUS?
I've had Gigabyte for two generations now and couldn't be happier how they operate. But I hear lots of talk about other cards this time. FTW3 for the cooling. Gaming X for the silence. Gigabyte is kind of in the middle, seems to be quite silent (which is important to me) but someone had issues with crashes earlier in the thread which makes me a bit hesitant, don't know if it's common though.

KScorp

Just got my 1080ti, and the first thing I notice is that my GSYNC display flickers at 144Hz now... I have to set it back to 120Hz to get rid of it. This wasn't an issue with the 780ti I just uninstalled.

Anyone else had something like this happen?

Coil whine is annoying. What makes you choose the ASUS?
I've had Gigabyte for two generations now and couldn't be happier how they operate. But I hear lots of talk about other cards this time. FTW3 for the cooling. Gaming X for the silence. Gigabyte is kind of in the middle, seems to be quite silent (which is important to me) but someone had issues with crashes earlier in the thread which makes me a bit hesitant, don't know if it's common though.

I had the Aorus as well and had to RMA it because it wasn't even able to use the OC mode without artifacting and crashing and its hit 84c and completely shut off.

Out of all the cards that one has been given users the most issues and I've seen more reports of it compared to others. Gaming nexus also did a good write up on the card and recommended others. If you are on the fence if recommend the Gaming X or Zotac Extreme for the $750 range of cards.

Asus if you want to take the chance of coil whine. Mine isn't too bad but noticeable over all the other cards. And I did al.ost all of my testing with default fan curves with an open case around a foot away from it so I could hear more than most will ever during normal use.

Wallach

Coil whine is dependent on the whole system. The same card you have in your current system would have a different frequency in a different computer.

The Dude

I had the Aorus as well and had to RMA it because it wasn't even able to use the OC mode without artifacting and crashing and its hit 84c and completely shut off.

Out of all the cards that one has been given users the most issues and I've seen more reports of it compared to others. Gaming nexus also did a good write up on the card and recommended others. If you are on the fence if recommend the Gaming X or Zotac Extreme for the $750 range of cards.

Asus if you want to take the chance of coil whine. Mine isn't too bad but noticeable over all the other cards. And I did al.ost all of my testing with default fan curves with an open case around a foot away from it so I could hear more than most will ever during normal use.

Is the coil whine present even running 4k60?

Is the coil whine present even running 4k60?

I don't think it's 100% guaranteed. People complained about that happening with the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti but I never experienced it once. Not even in menus where FPS apparently runs rampant.

But from what I hear, at 60 FPS it's never a problem.

Which reviews?

JayzTwoCents - Complete teardown of the card to check out the cooler and tests temps at various fan profiles (in an open air test bench)

GamerNexus - shows some graphs and confusing tests which seems to indicate that it runs pretty cool :p

Ultimately, it comes down to thermals and noise. The FTW3 runs a more aggressive fan profile, which means it's cooler than most of its same-chip competition – but it's also a bit louder. We would suggest, just like we did with the SC2, that you tune the fans to run at a slower speed. It's not necessary to keep the card as cool as the FTW3 does, so some heat can be traded for lower noise.

Pascal limits EVGA's excessive engineering on the VRM and PCB – both of which can be deftly handled by the cooler – leaving us with a card which performs functionally identically to $750 alternatives.

Hopefully I don't end up kicking myself for not getting the Strix. It looks rather nice and doesn't have a huge "EVGA GEFORE GTX 1080TI SC2" staring at you in the face every time you look at your PC. They should also have it laser projected across the room so you can see it on your wall at night....

jacket320

Hmm, so I got my FTW3 yesterday and installed it today. Got everything set and loaded up MSI afterburner and Witcher 3. 10 minutes in and the card hit 90 degrees. I open my side panel and find only one of the three fans spinning. Ambient temp is ~70 degrees. I previously had a 980ti Windforce card and never had issues with temps. Obviously this is concerning. Anyway to test if the other two fans work but just weren't spinning up for some reason with that high temp? I am by no means a power user when it comes to afterburner and fan curves etc, all settings were out of the box.

Would appreciate any thoughts as to where to go for troubleshooting.

*Edit: manually setting my fan speed to 100% in afterburner spins up only the first fan. Other two remain idle.

Hybris

Hmm, so I got my FTW3 yesterday and installed it today. Got everything set and loaded up MSI afterburner and Witcher 3. 10 minutes in and the card hit 90 degrees. I open my side panel and find only one of the three fans spinning. Ambient temp is ~70 degrees. I previously had a 980ti Windforce card and never had issues with temps. Obviously this is concerning. Anyway to test if the other two fans work but just weren't spinning up for some reason with that high temp? I am by no means a power user when it comes to afterburner and fan curves etc, all settings were out of the box.

*Edit: manually setting my fan speed to 100% in afterburner spins up only the first fan. Other two remain idle.

Perhaps try loading up Precision X to see if you can get the other fans to spin there, but they are spinning for me using afterburner, so they may be defective. At least evga has good support

Fredrik

Thanks for that write up, sounds like I should ignore Gigabyte this time.
Gaming X seems great judging by other too though.

MSI Afterburner will only control the first fan, the other 2 should run on whatever the default fan curve is in the BIOS.

Using Precision XOC is the only way to manually control all 3 fans at the moment.

I'm using the aggressive fan profile (it's default on the slave BIOS) and all 3 fans kick on at 60c I believe.

jacket320

Perhaps try loading up Precision X to see if you can get the other fans to spin there, but they are spinning for me using afterburner, so they may be defective. At least evga has good support

Unfortunately I cant seem to get them to go, even setting it at 100% in precision X. Using the thermal LED based on temp, both the power and memory LEDs are now completely red. Weird that they're not reading a value in the precision X GUI. Seems like maybe it's defective? :(

I'll contact support and go from there.

MSI Afterburner will only control the first fan, the other 2 should run on whatever the default fan curve is in the BIOS.

Using Precision XOC is the only way to manually control all 3 fans at the moment.

I'm using the aggressive fan profile (it's default on the slave BIOS) and all 3 fans kick on at 60c I believe.

I ticked it over to the slave. No luck yet.

grendelrt

Unfortunately I cant seem to get them to go, even setting it at 100% in precision X. Using the thermal LED based on temp, both the power and memory LEDs are now completely red. Weird that they're not reading a value in the precision X GUI. Seems like maybe it's defective? :(

I'll contact support and go from there.

I ticked it over to the slave. No luck yet.

If each fan is independent it should have its own header on the pcb, you could check to make sure each one is plugged fully in.

Kvik

In other news, I've never owned anything Gigabyte any idea how their warranty and support is? The AORUS card does seem pretty awesome.

I can only speak for Australian warranty, but they are actually pretty decent. It does help that Australia has a good consumer protection law.

Thanks for that write up, sounds like I should ignore Gigabyte this time.

For what it's worth, the two of most common issue with the Aorus was:

1. People overclocking with Aorus software instead of MSI Afterburner, resulting in crashes all over the place.
2. TIM application and/or thermal pads not being positioned properly from the factory, resulting in temperature jumps and the card throttling.

Problem no.1 can be rectified easily by uninstalling Aorus software and using Afterburner exclusively, and as for no.2, although it seems daunting, I don't consider it a hard task to do and won't void your warranty (no screws are covered by stickers as a means of warranty check)

What projector is this ? That Chameleon image is astonishing

The Dude

What projector is this ? That Chameleon image is astonishing

Epson 5040ub, yea it's pretty impressive and the thing is these pictures don't even do it justice like being in person.

Yea it's the absolute best display I've ever purchased hands down. Well worth every penny. And gaming is even better in person but it's one of those things where you have to see it in person to really get the feel.

Epson 5040ub, yea it's pretty impressive and the thing is these pictures don't even do it justice like being in person.

Yea it's the absolute best display I've ever purchased hands down. Well worth every penny. And gaming is even better in person but it's one of those things where you have to see it in person to really get the feel.

Amazing ! Congrats !

I remember the ONLY time that 3D movies gave me goosebumps, it was in a projector.

The Dude

Amazing ! Congrats !

I remember the ONLY time that 3D movies gave me goosebumps, it was in a projector.

Thanks man, yea it's pretty incredible. Like I said above it'd hard to believe I've achieved this type of setup in a fairly reasonable price range, Its a great time that's for sure.

Just ran Superposition 4k and FireStrike a few times at stock clocks on water for the first time. Lol max temp 33.

Core max: 1911
Boost max: 5508

Going to open it up here in a bit...

Awesome. I've wanted a solid projector for a while but I'm holding out. Probably pick something up before the end of the year.

Bl@de

I love undervolting with the curve editor of MSI afterburner. 5°C cooler and 200u/min less on my MSI Gaming X with the same boost clock @ 1900MHz.

did the price of the SC2 got raised or what? i tought it was 720 but is 750 on amazon, b&h, newegg and bestbuy has it for 760
SC2 was that price for those that preordered but the normal price is supposed to be higher than 720$. The SC Black Edition is the 720$ card.

Top Bottom