• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

longdi

Banned
Im going to do this to my FE once the AIO is back in stock.

Seems pretty ez-pz from the videos and comments.

9b69a8e4_GTX1080Tie.jpeg

Weevilone

So I got my tax return and I'm in the market for an upgrade to my two 970s (in SLI). Tired of dealing with the intricacies of getting stuff to work with them.

I just looked up the available 1080 Ti stock and was surprised to find that they're all running for $700+. Weren't they supposed to be releasing $600-ish models at some point? I've been out of the loop for awhile so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

The 1080 Ti is the absolute lowest I can go to get an actual upgrade over my two 970s. Anything less (including a regular 1080) would just be a sidegrade. Should I just wait for the next line of cards, or will there be a price drop in the future, or what?

I was pleased moving from a pair of 980s to a single 1080. Sure, in perfect SLI circumstances the 980s had more potential, but that was not common. Plus the extra VRAM is a really good thing.

Blocked my EVGA FE.

Love how much slimmer it is. There is a bit of a droop once connected but not much.

Waiting for one more part I need to finish the build on Tuesday then I should be able to get it up and running that night.

Hybris

Got some bad first impressions of my FTW3 yesterday. Highest stable core oc I can get is +50. W/e not a huge deal, only 20-30 hz off of some other oc's I've seen on this card. What I'm really concerned about are the temps... First, idling at 40-42 is definitely higher than I expected. After ~3 hours of bayonetta (~5k/3k downsample) and then ~2 hours of PUBG I glance over and see the card sitting at 81c. Using msi afterburner for the fan curve, and it should have been running at 100% at those temps. These aren't demanding games by any means so this worries me.

I didn't have time investigate since it was late, but I'm going to try to recreate this and make sure each fan is actually spinning... Guess I'll give precision x a try also and see if afterburner is having trouble controlling the fans for some reason...

Also for reference, I had a windforce 970 before this and I never saw it over 71c.

Anyone else have the FTW3 that want to share their impressions?

pa22word

9b69a8e4_GTX1080Tie.jpeg
If it's anything like the 980ti the "hardest", and byhardest I mean annoying as fuck, thing about it is going to be dealing with nvidia being assholes on the shroud mount by using like 8 different types of screws to hold the thing together. I mean what's wrong with a simple #0 Phillips? Their hex pattern on the led's was so weird I had to buy a specific set of hex bits just to get the bastard apart. There ain't nothing worse than taking the thing apart only to realize you gotta throw it right back together again just because of that one single screw >.<

rtcn63

If it's anything like the 980ti the "hardest", and byhardest I mean annoying as fuck, thing about it is going to be dealing with nvidia being assholes on the shroud mount by using like 8 different types of screws to hold the thing together. I mean what's wrong with a simple #0 Phillips? Their hex pattern on the led's was so weird I had to buy a specific set of hex bits just to get the bastard apart. There ain't nothing worse than taking the thing apart only to realize you gotta throw it right back together again just because of that one single screw >.<

Nvidia loves their screws *wink*

Gamersnexus has a 1080ti tear down and hybrid build video if that helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ-Y08enNG0&

The Dude

Got some bad first impressions of my FTW3 yesterday. Highest stable core oc I can get is +50. W/e not a huge deal, only 20-30 hz off of some other oc's I've seen on this card. What I'm really concerned about are the temps... First, idling at 40-42 is definitely higher than I expected. After ~3 hours of bayonetta (~5k/3k downsample) and then ~2 hours of PUBG I glance over and see the card sitting at 81c. Using msi afterburner for the fan curve, and it should have been running at 100% at those temps. These aren't demanding games by any means so this worries me.

I didn't have time investigate since it was late, but I'm going to try to recreate this and make sure each fan is actually spinning... Guess I'll give precision x a try also and see if afterburner is having trouble controlling the fans for some reason...

Also for reference, I had a windforce 970 before this and I never saw it over 71c.

I'll have mine today or tomorrow but these gpus are already close to max OC so thats why you're not going to get much higher with most of them, and that is up to silicon lottery.

And you're ftw3 might need repasted perhaps for Temps. But most of what I've read it holds low 30s idle and 50s 60s gaming Temps. Perhaps consider a repaste

I'll be testing mine later today after work. Probably won't have have my results up for a while.

I won't be messing with the OC as that can take hours depending on how much I want to play with the numbers. I will be posting temps though with default fan curve and benchmarking it with valley, heaven, etc.

9b69a8e4_GTX1080Tie.jpeg

Yeah, it's pretty easy. More time consuming than I thought, and it'd help to have a friend around just to have another set of hands. It took about two hours to get everything swapped for me, but this was my first time doing a project like this and I took my time.

Anyone have an opinion on Zotac cards? Was thinking of pulling the trigger on the Zotac Amp Extreme 1080ti. The tweaktown review is glowing but I wonder if it isn't too glowing. Haven't owned one of their cards before and just looking for some options. It's on Newegg at the moment and seems to be in stock.

I am currently using that card and it is the best out of the 4 cards I've used. I've tested the Zotac Extreme, STRIX OC, GAming X, and Aorus Xtreme. Will be messing around with the FTW3 today.

I am currently using that card and it is the best out of the 4 cards I've used. I've tested the Zotac Extreme, STRIX OC, GAming X, and Aorus Xtreme. Will be messing around with the FTW3 today.

Sounds good I'll wait for it to come back in stock. It was in stock when I asked the question but that changes rather quickly. I appreciate it.

Sounds good I'll wait for it to come back in stock. It was in stock when I asked the question but that changes rather quickly. I appreciate it.

I may have gotten lucky on the silicon lottery with mine but it is the coolest and quietest out of all the cards I have. I had to RMA the Aorus because of instability issues and super high temps causing the card to crash.

Lots of people are liking the STRIX but it's middle of the pack for me. Mine has pretty audible coil whine and the fans get pretty loud using a custom fan curve that the others cards didn't.

How did you go with those Monsoon MMRS reservoir? :)

I went for clear tube + red mounts myself.

Nice to see another Monsoon user! I bought a bunch of parts in both black chrome and red then spent a ton of time just mixing and matching. Final combo was:

Tube: blood red
Tension rods: black chrome
Mounts: black chrome
Pump cover: black chrome
plugs: black chrome

Also the dual CCFL light behind res (in red) and two plugs inside the res (also red)

I'll be leak-testing tomorrow night.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Funny enough, my Lian Li 750watt PSU started hard powering off my computer a few days ago. RMA'd it (lian li is really great with RMA's), they sent me a new one, plugged it in, NO MORE COIL WHINE!

And it may be my mind, but I feel things are just smoother now. Very weird.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nice to see another Monsoon user! I bought a bunch of parts in both black chrome and red then spent a ton of time just mixing and matching. Final combo was:

Also the dual CCFL light behind res (in red) and two plugs inside the res (also red)

I'll be leak-testing tomorrow night.

Beautiful. How do you attach/remove the gpu with stiff water pipes like that? Do you have to drain/disassemble the whole thing to get the GPU out if needed?

Hybris

And you're ftw3 might need repasted perhaps for Temps. But most of what I've read it holds low 30s idle and 50s 60s gaming Temps. Perhaps consider a repaste

Good call I'll try that next time I get a chance. My case is an NZXT H440, which doesn't have the best airflow, but these temps were much higher than I was expecting.

Funny enough, my Lian Li 750watt PSU started hard powering off my computer a few days ago. RMA'd it (lian li is really great with RMA's), they sent me a new one, plugged it in, NO MORE COIL WHINE!

And it may be my mind, but I feel things are just smoother now. Very weird.

Is it completely gone or is there some left over whine? Once my case side is on all whine is inaudible, besides the STRIX, while off I can always hear a little bit of whine on all of the cards. Tried with 2 different PSUs from 2 different companies.

I just feel like coil whine is apparent in all these cards to some degree. I know I had suggested users with coil whine that part of it could be PSU related. Glad it worked for someone.

Good call I'll try that next time I get a chance. My case is an NZXT H440, which doesn't have the best airflow, but these temps were much higher than I was expecting.

It has good enough airflow to where it shouldn't be hitting those temps. Definitely needs to be repasted or even sent in for a new one if you want to prevent any other potential problems the card might have.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is it completely gone or is there some left over whine? Once my case side is on all whine is inaudible, besides the STRIX, while off I can always hear a little bit of whine on all of the cards. Tried with 2 different PSUs from 2 different companies.

I just feel like coil whine is apparent in all these cards to some degree. I know I had suggested users with coil whine that part of it could be PSU related. Glad it worked for someone.

It has good enough airflow to where it shouldn't be hitting those temps. Definitely needs to be repasted or even sent in for a new one if you want to prevent any other potential problems the card might have.

Completely. I tested it while I still had the case glass off and it was 1 foot from me (plugged into a test monitor on my workbench). Ran all the same benchmarks. Not a peep. Insane, I never thought the PSU could be the complete root cause.

Completely. I tested it while I still had the case glass off and it was 1 foot from me (plugged into a test monitor on my workbench). Ran all the same benchmarks. Not a peep. Insane, I never thought the PSU could be the complete root cause.

Yeah in my years with building computers I always find that there are just some parts the don't play well together with certain PSUs.

Obviously there are cases where cards just have bad whine no matter what but the PSU itself, the cables and if they need to be re-seated or changed, and where you are plugging it into the wall do play some part in coil whine I've noticed.

Kiru

I bought a MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti with my brother today. Quite disappointed with the coil whine on it. Whenever we faced situations in DS3 where the card boosted to max clock we could hear it quite clearly (like looking at the bonfire). It was louder than the fans on the card (and those ran at over 50%). Dunno if we should exchange it and hope the replacement doesn't have the same amount of the coil whine... Reviews out there seem to state that the 1080 Ti's are nearly silent, even when they exhibit a bit of coil whine. How are your experiences ? I read your posts above where a new PSU completly eliminated the coil whine, so it might also be my brothers PSU, who knows. His old Zotac Extreme 980 Ti also had some coil whine when stressed, but it didn't sound like this... :/

Kvik

Looks great! I went for Red/Black theme myself. Apologies for the poor lighting on this blurry as hell shot.

34380619002_bed1632f89_o.png

EDIT: I love the build quality on those MMRS caps. Although the G1/4 threading is super tight with Bitspower stop plugs. I can't finger tighten them (had to use a coin)

My Aoruses came yesterday night after a month wait, so that's one good thing.

34155846530_bc464c824e_o.png

I'm still waiting for EK to release their blocks for these cards. They said early May, so hopefully I can get my rig running soon.

I bought a MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti with my brother today. Quite disappointed with the coil whine on it. Whenever we faced situations in DS3 where the card boosted to max clock we could hear it quite clearly (like looking at the bonfire). It was louder than the fans on the card (and those ran at over 50%). Dunno if we should exchange it and hope the replacement doesn't have the same amount of the coil whine... Reviews out there seem to state that the 1080 Ti's are nearly silent, even when they exhibit a bit of coil whine. How are your experiences ? I read your posts above where a new PSU completly eliminated the coil whine, so it might also be my brothers PSU, who knows. His old Zotac Extreme 980 Ti also had some coil whine when stressed, but it didn't sound like this... :/

Could be a power supply. Could be the card. How much coil whine did the 980ti have? What PSU are you using?

My Aoruses came yesterday night after a month wait, so that's one good thing.

Hope your Aorus work out for you. They definitely seem to be exhibiting the most problems with QC though.

longdi

Banned

Supposed to be the easiest yet, dont even need to remove the backplate and i/o shield.
Im going to follow this set of instructions http://imgur.com/a/hr8lI

Yeah, it's pretty easy. More time consuming than I thought, and it'd help to have a friend around just to have another set of hands. It took about two hours to get everything swapped for me, but this was my first time doing a project like this and I took my time.

Nice! How is working for you? Does it overclock a smidgen higher and more stable. My first time too with a graphics card, any small details to watch out for?

First impressions of the FTW3. The aggressive profile is loud as fuck. My temps were 59c after running heaven for a while but the noise is too much. The 2 slot design is nice though.

Created a custom profile that was essentially 60% at 60c and the card didn't go over 63c. It wasnt as loud as before but definitely still noticeable. No coil whine but couldn't tell if it was because the gpu fan was louder than everything in my case.

Zotac still takes it for me. Ran it with the same fan profile for a 1:1 and it was very quiet. I couldn't hear it over my case fans, which wasn't the case for the FTW3, and it was at 59-60c with some jumps into 61 on top of that.

These temps are with the side panel off though. These numbers will probably be 2-4 degrees higher with the side panel on.

I got a EVGA SC Black Edition coming in a few days. Super excited and should be a nice upgrade from my 780Ti SC. I'm on a 1440p 144hz IPS Gsync monitor right now.

samred

My 1080 Ti does NOT like running in 4K with certain games on an LG B6. Very weird crashes, seems to be an issue with how the tv and gpu handshake. Anybody else have this issue? Can't find anybody else complaining about it online.

My 1080 Ti does NOT like running in 4K with certain games on an LG B6. Very weird crashes, seems to be an issue with how the tv and gpu handshake. Anybody else have this issue? Can't find anybody else complaining about it online.

Have you tried different scaling settings? "No scaling - display" seems to work best with my 4K A/V receivers and TVs. Is your 1080ti connected to any other displays in addition to your B6? I hope you'll figure out a solution soon. =)

JCH!

Guys, I'm having some issues with my STRIX OC lately.

Games start suttering pretty heavily after a couple of minutes playing. This did not happen when I first got the card so I first thought it was a driver issue but I have tried installing older drivers with DDU and the problem persists.

Temperatures are OK, card hovers around 68°C/70°C while on load.

Any of you also having this problem?

Pagusas

Elden Member

Try using a edid editor to delete the 4096x2304 entries (driver level) I've seen cases in some games where they pull the heighest reported tv resolution and for some odd reason that can cause weird hand shake issues. You have no reason to ever be using the 4096 resolution anyway as it's not your tv's native.

I used CRU for editing my Edid.

Bonus: this will fix weird side letter boxing issues in Deus Ex MK and GTA5 in exclusive fullscreen mode.

Skyr

Guys, I'm having some issues with my STRIX OC lately.

Games start suttering pretty heavily after a couple of minutes playing. This did not happen when I first got the card so I first thought it was a driver issue but I have tried installing older drivers with DDU and the problem persists.

Temperatures are OK, card hovers around 68°C/70°C while on load.

Any of you also having this problem?

Did you monitor System RAM and GPU VRAM usage? Heavy stuttering should not be related to the GPU downclocking even if that happens.

Beautiful. How do you attach/remove the gpu with stiff water pipes like that? Do you have to drain/disassemble the whole thing to get the GPU out if needed?

When you attach you've got a bit of wiggle room to kind of push the tubing in one direction or another to get it inside the fittings.

You have to drain/disassemble the whole thing to get anything out with this kind of setup. Realistically you should do that to clean the entire thing every 8-12 months anyway, but you gotta be sure before you fill and start it up that everything is where it needs to be!

Looks great! I went for Red/Black theme myself. Apologies for the poor lighting on this blurry as hell shot.

34380619002_bed1632f89_o.png

34155846530_bc464c824e_o.png

I'm still waiting for EK to release their blocks for these cards. They said early May, so hopefully I can get my rig running soon.

That's pretty cool actually; almost looks like the res is not there.

I got impulsive a few days ago and ALMOST bought another EVGA FE and blocks. Almost. But I've dealt with SLI before and it's kind of a pain so I was like fuck it. I upgrade GPUs like every 1.5 years anyway.

JCH!

Did you monitor System RAM and GPU VRAM usage? Heavy stuttering should not be related to the GPU downclocking even if that happens.

I did monitor VRAM. Never went above 6Gb. System RAM I didn't monitor but I'm running 16Gb so I don't think that would be an issue, right?

Anyone else get their FTW3 up and running? Is it just me or is this card loud? 2 slot cooling solution is nice and all but if you have a big case I don't see the reason why you would need a 2 slot card that is louder than the rest.

The Dude

Well i received my ftw3 and all I gotta say.... Gpus man, gpus

So my situation is definitely better but there's always catches and I hate the whole clock stuff because it's hard to wrap my mind around cards that run better but slower clocks shown. My Aorus as I posted about was stuttering but I had higher clocks, although I couldn't oc much at all. 20 and 300 was about it. But i was 2050 and higher at times but settled around 2038 or 2025ish. Temps mid 50s but that was with fans 100%.

So my ftw3 is a beautiful card, it really is. And the good thing is I'm not getting the micro stutter, I think any small small hiccup is the game. My numbers tho are lower, Temps a bit higher at low 60s. My oc is 50/500, my clock is showing about 2025 and in game 2012. But that's with my voltage up... Is there any harm in pushing 100 voltage? But without my voltage my clocks are 2000 and then gets down to around 1987 which seems so low.

But so far, from what I've experienced it's really smooth locked at 60. Fans are a little louder but I haven't seen the card in game get above 62

paskowitz

So my situation is definitely better but there's always catches and I hate the whole clock stuff because it's hard to wrap my mind around cards that run better but slower clocks shown. My Aorus as I posted about was stuttering but I had higher clocks, although I couldn't oc much at all. 20 and 300 was about it. But i was 2050 and higher at times but settled around 2038 or 2025ish. Temps mid 50s but that was with fans 100%.

So my ftw3 is a beautiful card, it really is. And the good thing is I'm not getting the micro stutter, I think any small small hiccup is the game. My numbers tho are lower, Temps a bit higher at low 60s. My oc is 50/500, my clock is showing about 2025 and in game 2012. But that's with my voltage up... Is there any harm in pushing 100 voltage? But without my voltage my clocks are 2000 and then gets down to around 1987 which seems so low.

But so far, from what I've experienced it's really smooth locked at 60. Fans are a little louder but I haven't seen the card in game get above 62

Increasing voltage doesn't actually increase peak voltage, just how soon max voltage is applied in relation to clocks/load. I would just max it out. Only way to higher clocks is lower core temps. Make sure you have good intake AND exhaust.

Weevilone

Just remember you are talking about 63 MHz from the 2050 down to that 1987. It really doesn't matter. I don't think it will hurt tweaking the voltage slider, but either way isn't going to be noticeable in your games.

Luminaire

Annnnnd my Strix arrived! Popped it in but haven't booted up Asus Tweak yet. The card is...massive, very heavy, much bigger than the 970.

Patience pays off~

Impulsor

Since I'm mainly gaming on my 34" 3440x1440 monitor and the 980 ti was struggling with that res at max settings with some games, I just went ahead and grabbed, after investigating my options, an MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 ti.

It runs so much cooler and silent than my Reference Asus 980 ti. I tested it for coil whine too and it has none. Impressive piece of hardware.

Top Bottom