• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you work with someone who 1-Ups everyone else?

Dynomutt

Op call him out on his lies, he's got the best mortgage right? Ask him the % then either lie that yours is lower or have GAF fork over numbers.

Just start 1-uping HIM, seeing the shoe on the other foot will get extremely annoying.

Basically your two options.
Most entertaining ones that is.

Be careful. The most dangerous thing about 1-Uppers is when they start dropping evidence and facts to verify their 1-Ups. You slowly start to reliaze they're not 1-Upping you but that you don't enough stuff and are boring. Next thing you find out the person is sponsored by Red Bull and jumping from the stratosphere.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Op call him out on his lies, he's got the best mortgage right? Ask him the % then either lie that yours is lower or have GAF fork over numbers.

Just start 1-uping HIM, seeing the shoe on the other foot will get extremely annoying.

Basically your two options.
Most entertaining ones that is.

Yep.. I call him out on his schtick when what he says sounds ridiculous. There are definitely things he says which are true in there. And, I'm actually sure he is a good Uber driver and maintains a clean car. I also think because he is so personable, he is entertaining and good with people.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh?... hrmm... bad advice? I was hoping that if you wanted to know what people really thought, this was how to know. Something as a way to get constructive criticism.

I hope that wasn't as bad as it sounds like it might have turned out.

I kid.

I know I'm the best. No need to ask.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I kid.

I know I'm the best. No need to ask.

vanity.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
WELL THAT DIDN'T GO WELL.

If you have opportunity and motivation and a diverse set of interests, you're probably going to end up with a lot of cool experiences under your belt. If you're an autodidact and hold yourself to a high standard with whatever you pursue, you may end up with a knowledge base, skill set, and life experiences that apply to a very wide range of circumstances before long.

You're not parading yourself around as the World's Greatest Part-Time Uber Driver, as far as I know, Stinkles. There's definitely a line that can be crossed into arrogant self-absorbed dickbaggery, but I tend to see it coming from folks who lose sight of the privilege of their circumstances (or, typical of trust fund kids, who never had sight of it to begin with).

Everyone's cherrypicking the interesting 1% of their time to throw onto social media, so, hey, if you have more than 1% to share, it doesn't automatically brand you an asshole. There will always be someone bitter about someone else's successes, no matter how you live your life. The key consideration is that there's an unabashedly dickish route, an unrealistically saintly route, and an entire spectrum in-between where you can probably operate with some nuance, yeah?

You can leverage your circumstances not just to succeed at what you set out to do for yourself and let everyone know how awesome you are. With the right perspective, you can use the space you're operating in also to relate to people from all walks of life, give sound advice and assistance to people you wish to, help lead and motivate others, and balance out personal enrichment and success and hedonism by designating a percent of your time and resources toward giving back in some way.

Live it up. Just don't forget your origin story, and how precarious it probably was. Don't assume you're better than someone because of what you see in the mirror, because there are very bright, very capable people all around you who will never have an opportunity to shine thanks to the whims of fate or the burden of responsibility. Is someone who stayed behind in their hometown to take care of their sick parents or disadvantaged siblings or accidental teenage kid less awesome for having chosen that path? What about someone who worked twice as hard with half the advantages, just to carve out a small piece of their dreams? What about someone who find solace and contentment in the little things? None of those are lesser paths.

DavidDesu

How can you even trust people like that? When after a while you realise they really are habitual liars then what else do they lie about? How trustworthy can they be if everything that comes out of their mouths are fibs?

Knew a few people like this over the years, I keep away as they're just not reliable. And you hear through other people they tell different things to different people. One would criticise work colleagues and act like your friend and then you find out they're trying to stitch you up for something... Yeah just keep well clear. These people frankly have mental health problems and are probably incredibly self conscious and have taken the extreme answer of bullshitting themselves to oblivion to come across more interesting than they are.

Top Bottom