• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trance Music |OT| #trancefamily

joesmokey

Can't believe I missed this thread earlier.

I went to ASOT550 at Beyond Wonderland and it was pretty amazing. Highlights of the night for me were Arty's set (he works the crowd pretty well), Gareth dropping Big Sky (should've cut the sound during vocals though), and Armin's set (he didn't play a typical safe set which was nice). I was a bit disappointed in JoC's set as well as Aly and Fila's. I was second row center the entire time and the amount of bass was just crazy... wasn't expecting that at all. I was a bit surprised at how differently things sounded live versus listening over the airwaves, makes you appreciate good drops a lot more for one.

Shameless plug: I put together a 30 minute mega mix compilation of ASOT 550. Feel free to listen if you want a shortened version of the best songs played throughout the sets :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVLbEfGI8_4

Ashhong

Been listening to Gareth's set lately, and that would probably have been a highlight for me as well, if I could remember it :x

Armins set was pretty damn good though. I can't believe he dropped his Lost mashup. My girlfriends favorite song and we sang our heart out to that shit.

JOC and A&F sounded like the same person to me. They had such a similar style, and both were a big bald dude. Got confused so many times thinking it was still JOC up there lol.

joesmokey

Haha, the biggest problem I had being up in the front was that I couldn't really hear vocals to anything. When Gareth dropped the Sweet Dreams mashup with Rolling in the Deep, most of us were singing the Sweet Dreams lyrics until we realized Adele was singing, lol.

Ashhong

Man that would have been a dealbreaker for me. I was fairly close too on the side near VIP. My biggest problem was that I couldn't appreciate the lasers and light show. At one point they had the lasers on and these white sparkles in it that made it look like stars. I had to turn around to stare at them.

I always knew Brute would be a huge festival choon, but GODDAMN Armin's illegal drum edit is fucking insane. Listening to that on the recordings brings back so many memories. That song is ridiculously awesome live.

joesmokey

Brute was pretty awesome live (it's also in my mix ;), okay no more plugging).

Definitely wouldn't do the front again, though it was worth it for a once in a lifetime experience. Standing 10 hours without leaving was not ideal :p.

You going to Above & Beyond at The Shrine?

Ashhong

Brute was pretty awesome live (it's also in my mix ;), okay no more plugging).

Definitely wouldn't do the front again, though it was worth it for a once in a lifetime experience. Standing 10 hours without leaving was not ideal :p.

You going to Above & Beyond at The Shrine?

Haha no worries, I plugged my own on the first page. I'll include yours in a list of mixes in the OP once I eventually fix that up.

I am! Going Saturday, you? Know anybody that would want to buy Friday tickets? haha

joesmokey

I'm going Friday night, not sure if anyone else would want to buy though, haha.

Back on topic, I think for the other events, mix highlights for me were Cosmic Gate's Kiev mix (outstanding) and Dash Berlin's Miami mix (was pleasantly surprised by his Dashups).

I'm still going through the Den Bosch sets, but I think Kiev had one of the best nights. I was a bit disappointed in the rest of the Ultra sets though.

Ashhong

I'm going Friday night, not sure if anyone else would want to buy though, haha.

Back on topic, I think for the other events, mix highlights for me were Cosmic Gate's Kiev mix (outstanding) and Dash Berlin's Miami mix (was pleasantly surprised by his Dashups).

I'm still going through the Den Bosch sets, but I think Kiev had one of the best nights. I was a bit disappointed in the rest of the Ultra sets though.

:(

I agree with the Dashups from Miami. One of the big reasons why it's "highly recommended" lol. I listened to most of State of Blue Den Bosch live. Ferry was terrible for the first half then good the last half. Cosmic Gate was pretty good. Gabriel and Dresden were whatever. I liked Jochen Miller's set.

polg

Unfortunately Armin ignored my side of the world this year but I'm super keen to seen him in Ibiza on my EU trip in August.

Any Ibiza party goers in GAF?

Ashhong

Where are you? Australia I'm guessing? You guys just got him not too long ago :( last time he came to LA was EDC 2010. Read an article though that he might kickoff his next Armin Only in LA to make up for not making it in 2011. Excite!

Ashhong

Sorry I haven't fixed up this thread yet, but wanted to report that EDC Las Vegas is currently on hold because of high winds.

Because of this, ARMIN, MARKUS SCHULZ and COSMIC GATE are play a fucking back to back to back set in Armins radio studio. Its amazing. Listen on his site or the trance station on di.FM. This will probably never happen again

Ashhong

Yea people complaining about not hearing good trance anymore need to listen to this set. sad that its almost over. Epic. I hope they end it with sandstorm.

esai

Sorry I haven't fixed up this thread yet, but wanted to report that EDC Las Vegas is currently on hold because of high winds.

Because of this, ARMIN, MARKUS SCHULZ and COSMIC GATE are play a fucking back to back to back set in Armins radio studio. Its amazing. Listen on his site or the trance station on di.FM. This will probably never happen again

aww man im sorry i missed this. i would have love to listen to the steam.

Ashhong

Found the download links, separated based on who was in the studio. Scroll down

http://www.edmtunes.com/2012/06/ele...a-08-10-06-2012-live-sets-download-tracklist/

The best part of the stream was the commentary between all of the DJs. They were joking around, playing unfinished songs, just having fun.

Armin: W&W playing now, what is this?
W&W: This is an unfinished remix for Dash Berlin
Armin: lol, so it's just going to cut off or what?
W&W: Well it doesnt have an outro, so hurry and mix in the next!

Found the download links, separated based on who was in the studio. Scroll down

http://www.edmtunes.com/2012/06/ele...a-08-10-06-2012-live-sets-download-tracklist/

The best part of the stream was the commentary between all of the DJs. They were joking around, playing unfinished songs, just having fun.

Armin: W&W playing now, what is this?
W&W: This is an unfinished remix for Dash Berlin
Armin: lol, so it's just going to cut off or what?
W&W: Well it doesnt have an outro, so hurry and mix in the next!

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Downloading now as a single set from http://www.urtrancezone.com/live-sets/download-edc-2012-las-vegas-dj-sets-t47020.html.

Armin is a hero amongst men.

Ashhong

trance people! OP updated with podcasts and different sections. If you think I should add anything feel free to suggest. Trying to get the title changed to

Trance |OT| #trancefamily

Chaplain

Here are some podcasts that were missed:

21075_311028550694_5387071_n.jpg

One 2 Trance With 7 Skies

A sample of his style (Right click/Save as):

Anjunabeats Worldwide #271 with 7 Skies

Anyone with ears to the ground (or speakers) in recent years is sure to have heard his works in pretty regular rotation on any number of the top syndicated radio shows (“Trance Around The World” and “A State Of Trance”, to name a couple) or being played out to great critical and public acclaim by nearly every top jock worth his (or her) salt.

282759_10151024987054662_991297199_n.jpg

Richard Durand - In Search Of Sunrise Radio

Without doubt the hottest new trance DJ / producer to emerge from Holland in recent years is Richard Durand. Recommended by the mighty Tiësto as his 'Tip For The Top in 2007' in DJ Magazine, Richard responded with a string of stunning productions and show stopping festival performances that have cemented his place as a fans favourite worldwide and a permanent fixture in the DJ Mag Top 100 DJs poll.

423221_10150629192118400_1494844351_n.jpg

Andy Moor - Moor Music

Grammy-nominated Andy Moor is an icon in the electronic dance music industry. Undeniably one of the most respected producers in the genre whose substantial talents and work ethos have earned him a catalogue of accolades. Recently nominated for the 2009 DJ Awards, Andy is currently rapidly scaling the DJ Mag’s Top 100 @ 15th. Named Best Trance Producer and Best Trance Track at the 2004 Trance Awards, Best Dance Record at the 2006 International Dance Music Awards, Andy received his Grammy nod with a magical remix of Delerium-Angelicus in 2008.

557594_10150693200924629_835839677_n.jpg

Infinity Podcast with Jon O'Bir

A sample his style. (Right click/Save as)

Jon O'Bir pres. Anjunabeats Worldwide 280

Jon O’Bir is a name that’s been splashed across the industry since he catapulted to the front of the line in 2002 after winning a prestigious competition run by Passion and M8 magazine. Jon is one of the leading djs at the moment that is carving the new face of the trance genre. One of the key aspects that differentiate Jon from many of the other DJs in the trance genre is Jon's effort to incorporate upfront trance productions by unsigned producers.

254_16833609074_1109_n.jpg

Max Graham Presents Cycles Radio

Max Graham @ CyclesRadio 061 Recorded Live in Vancouver

Born in London but raised in Canada, Max Graham is a well known name to both Canadian and International dance music fans. First noticed by Paul Oakenfold and Nick Warren, then quickly snapped up by Hope Recordings, Graham was well on his way. In 2001 He mixed the fourth installment of the legendary Transport series and won highest new entry in the DJMag poll with #23.

32521_459348727994_4129711_n.jpg

Oliver Smith - Anjunabeats Worldwide Radio (usually hosts the show once a month)

A sample of what many consider to be one of the best producers right now (Right click/Save as):

TATW Guest Mix August 12th 2011
TATW #430 Guest Mix 22 June 2012

His shows feature a ton of trance, but that starts at the 2nd hour of his set.

Oliver Smith has been described as "an excellent DJ" by Armin van Buuren, "the best thing to happen in trance" by Mixmag and "sensational" by DJ Magazine. In recent years the highly successful UK trance/progressive house DJ and producer has released scores of records and has performed as a DJ in many of the biggest clubs around the world.

Oliver’s music is regularly played by leading DJs such as Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk and Above and Beyond. In addition to this, Oliver’s previous work as one half of the highly acclaimed production duo Smith & Pledger has assured him a place as a mainstay of the dance music scene. His tracks are a regular feature on compilations such as Anjunabeats Volume 9 and the Anjunadeep series. Meanwhile, on the remix front, Oliver has been making waves with his remixes for Mat Zo, Andrew Bayer, Jaytech, Arty and Above & Beyond - all featuring on leading radio and club play lists and flying high in the Beatport charts.

556815_10150792628905919_465391396_n.jpg

PROFF Music Podcast

PROFF - Anjunabeats Worldwide 279

The half way point of each set is where he plays trance.

PROFF is justly considered as one of modern Russia’s most successful producers. He was participating in grandiose celebration of the jubilee 300th episode of «Trance Around The World» radio show and is a frequent DJ at Kazantip, his tracks jeweled Anjunadeep’s 100th release «The Collaborations EP» and the summarizing compilation «Anjunadeep The Yearbook 2011». Original productions, collective works and numerous remixes by PROFF have been repeatedly ranked in Top 100 Beatport and caught attention of the dance music industry flagships like Armada Music, Solaris, Vandit, Proton, Silk Music, Noys Music and Enhanced.

538328_10150843086556198_1718603743_n.jpg

Jaytech Music Podcast

In a world awash with carbon copy producers, 26-year-old James Cayzer aka Jaytech is a bright exception. Classically trained as a pianist and a perfectionist when it comes to programming, his unique blends of deep melodies and sunny electronic grooves (house tracks, trance tunes and everything in between) are equally at home in the DJ sets of Sasha or Desyn Masiello as they are in the stadium headlining appearances of Above & Beyond.

Ashhong

^ Thanks, I'll just post a link to your post because it's so long haha, or edit my OP a little later.

In other news, ARMIN at Hollywood Palladium, yes yes yes

293006_10151227800743888_1459817056_n.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So if I sort of like Trance but don't follow the genre as well as live in the US where EDM doesn't really have a larger following what artists/labels should I look towards?

Right now whenever I'm in a Trance mood I just tend to put on the Above & Beyond Podcast and listen to that not knowing who or what they are talking about! LoL

Ashhong

So if I sort of like Trance but don't follow the genre as well as live in the US where EDM doesn't really have a larger following what artists/labels should I look towards?

Right now whenever I'm in a Trance mood I just tend to put on the Above & Beyond Podcast and listen to that not knowing who or what they are talking about! LoL

A bit confused, are you saying you do or don't live in the US? Whereabouts in the US? The trance scene is actually getting pretty big imo.

Arty isn't really trance anymore..he says hes inbetween trance and house now, trouse as many call it.

TATW and ASOT are great choices to listen to if you are just a casual fan and are only in the mood every once in a while. Can't go wrong with those choices. I will be making another vocal trance mix for a casual fans enjoyment soon :)

DiscoJer

Don't forget Suzy Solar, who I believe has the 2nd longest running trance show next to Armin Van Buuren. Just had episode 565, so she's been doing it for almost 11 years now

http://suzysolar.com/suzysolar/

SuzySolar.jpg

I used to be a big AvB and TATW fan, but since discovering her show (actually had a couple of her mix albums back in the 90s) mostly listen to that. She tends to play more of the uplifting and melodic stuff, which I like (though live she tends to be harder) as well as a lot of vocal trance

(It also helps she puts her show on her own website, so it's easy to get.)

DiscoJer

Another US trance DJ that I like is Zoltar

http://zoltar.podomatic.com/

He used to be the program director for the trance channel on XM radio, but when they merged with Sirius the channel got axed, though he still has his weekly show, Subterranean on the crappy dance channel they kept.

TKR92

You might want to check mixcloud.com

http://www.mixcloud.com/categories/trance/

Also for OP

8c977a45-d433-4195-9ee6-5800db2c087e.jpg

Markus Schulz : Global DJ Broadcast
http://www.markusschulz.com/gdjb.php
http://www.mixcloud.com/MarkusSchulz/

3eebfeb3-05f3-4258-bfd6-97ea15bb3cb6.jpg

Ferry Corsten - Corsten's Countdown
http://www.mixcloud.com/FerryCorsten/
http://www.ferrycorsten.com/web/index.php/countdown.html

be954f76-31ff-436b-8177-580d59aa56b4.jpg

Planet Perfecto feat. Paul Oakenfold
http://soundcloud.com/pauloakenfold
http://www.mixcloud.com/pauloakenfold/

Espresso

Banned

di.fm and 1.fm trance are my go-to EDM radio stations when I'm not in my car. Digitally Imported has a smartphone app and you can also stream their channels using iTunes, VLC, etc.

I find myself listening to the Chillout Dreams channel 99% of the time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A bit confused, are you saying you do or don't live in the US? Whereabouts in the US? The trance scene is actually getting pretty big imo.

Arty isn't really trance anymore..he says hes inbetween trance and house now, trouse as many call it.

TATW and ASOT are great choices to listen to if you are just a casual fan and are only in the mood every once in a while. Can't go wrong with those choices. I will be making another vocal trance mix for a casual fans enjoyment soon :)

In the US, and while I've been into the scene for over a decade I've never called it big.

Thanks for the recommendations though as well as what everyone else has posted! One solace I have is I pay for XM Radio so I can get stuff on there when I'm in the mood.

Ashhong

In the US, and while I've been into the scene for over a decade I've never called it big.

Thanks for the recommendations though as well as what everyone else has posted! One solace I have is I pay for XM Radio so I can get stuff on there when I'm in the mood.

Huh, I guess I can only speak of the scene in CA. The trance scene is pretty big in socal. Every trance event gets sold out, while people like Above & Beyond and of course Armin break records and sell out shows in minutes. Even the club shows usually have a lot of hype. And then you see things like ASOT take over events like EDC and Ultra.

Kyon

Banned
Came in here expecting the King of Trance Armin to have a giant photo in the middle and was disappointed :(

Kyon

Banned
he's at the end!

edit: you're right, I'm going to place his face front and center too. BOOM

Oh i c him :eek:

Was actually going to make a thread like this a few months back but you got this covered. TRANCE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Isn't it the most popular in the Netherlands? Dutch ppl just love their trance

Ashhong

Oh i c him :eek:

Was actually going to make a thread like this a few months back but you got this covered. TRANCE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Isn't it the most popular in the Netherlands? Dutch ppl just love their trance

Yup yup, I wish it was more popular so we could have some good discussion of new music. I'm not sure where it's most popular, but I wouldn't be surprised, being Armin's home country and all haha. I know he always has his biggest events in Den Bosch, so there must be a huge demand there.

Ashhong

Wat the heck is that? Huh...he must be working on another album at the same time. I know his song with Arty and Nadia Ali is supposed to be on it. I think.

What the..

This product is manufactured on demand using CD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.

cj_iwakura

Wat the heck is that? Huh...he must be working on another album at the same time. I know his song with Arty and Nadia Ali is supposed to be on it. I think.

What the..

I think it was originally MP3 only. No clue.

There's two kinds of BT: all-out trance/dance awesomeness like The Emergency, then you get his experimental side that did stuff like This Binary Universe.

Stars has more of a TBU vibe.

Top Bottom