• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Ross61

Batfamily
minus one

Ctij8zbUEAAwHO0.jpg

Black Monday Murders #2: Hickman, Coker and Garland are a match made in heaven. Together they have created imposing, mysterious and fascinating characters in Grigoria Rothschild and Viktor Eresko, and a cunning and sympathetic lead in Detective Dumas. In fact virtually all of the characters in this book seem to have back stories deep enough to swim in, and the art does a great job of expressing that with faces, shadows, even posture that are all clues to their histories. I can see why this book isn't really for everyone. Hickman is building a labyrinth before our eyes, though, a labyrinth of math, greed, power and the occult populated with capitalist demons and communist devils, and once we're through the architect phase this is going to be a damn good book to get lost in. Count on it.
I've only read #1 so far(which I will have to re-read before opening #2), but I love this book. I feel like I'm probably not smart enough for it... But I will keep reading it.

Who is everyone's favorite writer in comics at the moment. Mine is Marguerite Bennett obviously. But curious for other people's answers
This is a hard question to answer.

Rucka, I think. I would buy anything he wrote(even though it ain't all great...), and my fave book is Lazarus.

I'll have to check out some of Bennett's stuff.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I've only read #1 so far(which I will have to re-read before opening #2), but I love this book. I feel like I'm probably not smart enough for it... But I will keep reading it.

I have yet to put together the code, but the rest of the book is compelling enough to not want the answers yet.

Based on what I'm pulling, obviously, Jeff Lemire and Al Ewing are the writers that appear the most in regards to books I love, so them. Extraordinary X-Men, Moon Knight, Old Man Logan, The New Avengers, and The Ultimates. Could also throw Nick Spencer up there for both Cap books and Standoff.

Actually, I'll also toss up Steve Orlando. Midnighter was godlike and Supergirl is good so far. Super hyped for JLA and Midnighter and Apollo. Maybe Spurrier

Fuck it. I don't know.
Batfamily
minus one

Ctij8zbUEAAwHO0.jpg

Wonder what Dick and Bruce are saying.

tim1138

The Mignolaverse will break your heart. I just finished volume 1 of Hell on Earth, and BPRD is some heartwrenching stuff. Every character is infused with tragedy, and I dunno that I've read a comic that so deftly protrays how high the stakes are as BPRD. I do admit my experience with BPRD might be aided by future knowledge, as I've read all of Hellboy up through the last five issues of Hellboy in Hell, but man these are some top tier comics. Mignolaverse > everything else out on the stands.

Haha! Even manage to get you in a gaming thread this week ;)) that's awesome man, I was kind if wondering how you would take the pacing of the volume given that it doesn't really progress THE big thing from volume 1 but I totally agree, it is like a good tv show, or a good book. There's a lot of stuff going on in vol 1 but vol 2 is where Aaron sits back and gets comfortable in the seat after spending the whole of the first volume typing away on the edge. Character first storytelling at its best, and it's worth it to get you invested in all this disparate viewpoints as they converge, both now and in a broader way as the series goes on.

Also yea, Red Crow is honestly a very compelling guy as you start to see his layers peeled back. Also a huge strength of Southern Bastards, giving the quote unquote villains time be much much more. Glad your enjoying it as you get to it anyway man, I actually was going to say Jason Aaron for favourite writer earlier but with the Goddamned still not in trade, thought I'd hold off and give someone else the nod. Dude is a really great writer though. Scalped and The Other Side were the first things I read by him and he's never disappointed since.
no one mention original sin

I hope, like the Shield, the ending can surprise me and execute on the various characters well. I don't want to think too much about it but man, it's kind of hard not to given how tragic the tale is.

Damnit, Aaron really did a wonderful job with the second volune.

Ross61

Flintstones, Superman, Shade The Changing Girl, Midnighter and Apollo, He-Man and ThunderCats, Hawkman and Adam Strange: Out of Time, Green Arrow, Future Quest, and Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love are all coming out next week brehs.

0320ff5d57.gif

TheFlow

Banned
Thor: God of Thunder #4

first yea, I know I am like years behind on reading thor, but I am loving this arc. that last panel where Thor arrives <3.

5/5

the road to Mighty thor continues

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

first yea, I know I am like years behind on reading thor, but I am loving this arc. that last panel where Thor arrives <3.

5/5

join me

i just read #17

i am so close to FemThor

VanWinkle

5/5

Great series. I've only read the God Butcher/Godbomb arc, but it was amazing.

To be fair, that's exactly how she described the book. All that rage from dudes giving her shit about Captain Marvel.

Her Captain Marvel run was mediocre. Whether she got more shit for it than she deserved, who can say? But she came off like a stereotypical man-hater on that first Bitch Planet arc.

Detective Comics

This seemed like a pretty boring issue. The whole issue is Batwoman checking up on the status of the team and eventually Gotham Girl freaking out. Meh.

I thought it was terrible. Big momentum killer for the crossover. A bunch of radio noise and red gunk.

Luke Cage binge tomorrow.

Sweet Christmas.

Amen. I'm very excited for this one. I end up getting through them much slower than most, but this is THE show for October. Netflix is killing it. Street level Marvel is best Marvel, and I love that my wife is being introduced to the characters in this format.

Daredevil, the Punisher, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage are my Marvel Mount Rushmore.

Still debating transmetropolitan cmx sale...

I went all in. The first volume is ace.

Sheesh, the damage from this Vertigo sale. Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Transmetropolitan, Sheriff of Babylon, and Doom Patrol get.

Time for a second job
reading comics.

Top Bottom