• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
someone help:

i want to read some new Dr Strange but want to wait until Aaron is done with his run.

is yesterday'/ Annual a stand alone issue or does it spoil the current Strange run?

my local didn't have the issue left, and I had it on my pull list fuckers, but they said it was stand alone

black hammer annual? hype!

I was just about to say this same thing but thought maybe I missed it.

Did Raven? I can't recall now that I think about it. Maybe it's something with their Mini's or something? I don't think Sixpack and Dogwelder are either.

It wasn't. It sucks though, I'd really like it to be integrated into this new and exciting universe.

Maybe it still will be.

Hellers

6 archive editions of Savage Dragon bought on CMX. I know it's only B&W but I've never read any before and it's dirt cheap.

I'm going in.

OK messi and echo. What is supposed to be the hot marvel books for next week.

Must Buys
All-New Wolverine 13
Cage 1
Champions 1
Jessica Jones 1

Great
Dr. Strange 12

Meh
Amazing Spider-Man 19
Iron Man 14
Spider-Man 2099 16

???
Deadpool Back in Black 1
Death of X 1

I'm buying all of these except Deadpool. Some here like Mercs for Money, which comes out this week too, but I don't know anything about it.

I'm tallying up all the ANAD voting. I'll post the results tomorrow. 24 hours left to vote!

Birthright #19: Someday, I'm going to have to say things like "this is merely excellent," or "this isn't entirely mind-blowing" to indicate a drop in the quality of this book. We're not there yet though. This issue continues an incredible 5-issue streak since Williamson first slammed the pedal down in #15. It really hasn't let up since. You trade waiters are in for a treat, this arc is going to be epic collected.

Batman Beyond Rebirth: I was really happy with this issue. It was much easier to jump into than some early impressions here had indicated. Not much seems to have changed in Neo-Gotham except for the
loss of some major supporting characters.
Some other characters have taken on new roles, but Terry is the same old future Bats. I'm definitely going to
miss Bruce in this series and I'm curious how he died
? Promising start, GREAT last page stinger, looks like I'm adding another Rebirth book to the pull list! That brings me up to 9. Not too shabby.

Black Monday Murders #2: Hickman, Coker and Garland are a match made in heaven. Together they have created imposing, mysterious and fascinating characters in Grigoria Rothschild and Viktor Eresko, and a cunning and sympathetic lead in Detective Dumas. In fact virtually all of the characters in this book seem to have back stories deep enough to swim in, and the art does a great job of expressing that with faces, shadows, even posture that are all clues to their histories. I can see why this book isn't really for everyone. Hickman is building a labyrinth before our eyes, though, a labyrinth of math, greed, power and the occult populated with capitalist demons and communist devils, and once we're through the architect phase this is going to be a damn good book to get lost in. Count on it.

Black Panther #6: So much happens in this issue that it's difficult to unpack, and yet much of it is subdued -
literally, when T'Challa allows himself to be captured to expose the true motives behind those pulling the strings of the revolution
- in the second half, at least. The battle towards the top of the book is thrilling and beautifully drawn, the action always clear, though the resolution is a little unsatisfying. I fully expect
Shuri to wake up in the near future, I wonder if she'll have a role in World of Wakanda?
The last page tugged at my heartstrings a little, it's awesome to see these characters assembled and I'm awfully excited for the next arc. And while I do love that
Luke invokes The Crew, one of the great lost Priest concepts, I don't think any of these characters were actually on that team, so I'm not sure why Coates made such an obscure reference. Unless there was some second volume of The Crew I missed out on?

Black Science #24: lol. Well they can't all be winners. I was going to give this book one more issue but this chapter resolves so terribly and haphazardly that I might be done with it. I haven't enjoyed it in awhile. The
witch stuff/stealing Grant's smarts
is dumb. The twist of what happens next is dumb. I don't like where this is going. I guess on the positive side...anything could happen from here? So, sigh, yeah. One more issue. God,
Grant's boss
is so horribly drawn, is he supposed to look puke yellow?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I enjoyed Batman Beyond Rebirth, but the ending didn't do enough to hook me into a purchase of any more issues.

Batman Beyond Rebirth: I was really happy with this issue. It was much easier to jump into than some early impressions here had indicated. Not much seems to have changed in Neo-Gotham except for the
loss of some major supporting characters.
Some other characters have taken on new roles, but Terry is the same old future Bats. I'm definitely going to
miss Bruce in this series and I'm curious how he died
? Promising start, GREAT last page stinger, looks like I'm adding another Rebirth book to the pull list! That brings me up to 9. Not too shabby.

A lot of past events seems to have been retconned, even though they were referenced in this issue so I'm really curious what they plan on doing with it. It was a really good jumping on point.

I'm really curious if it will tie-in in some way to Tim being taken out of existence in some way. When he was driving around the world didn't seem so dark and gloomy either. Maybe there was some watchmen playing with the beyond timeline?

I mean it's the same "universe" but it's not "connected" ya feel me?

Gotcha. Yeah they definitely seem to be wanting to do something different with their mini's.

Top Bottom