• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Just got here.

First thing I did was go to the local roach coach to get some fish tacos. And a shrimp one, too. 😍

Is there a Fitness GAF within LA GAF that would wanna meet up to workout? Go to places like the stairs in Santa Monica off San Vicente, stairs in Culver City, hikes, etc.

I might be down! I'm terribly out of shape but it would be nice to meet fellow GAFFers.

Getting ready to move out there again in a few weeks. Had an internship back in 2013 right out of school and went back home to Florida to save money and gain more experience.

Time to do the i10 trek from Jacksonville to LA. Just thinking about that drive makes me want to hurl.

Mifune

Mehmber
How does it compare to Ricky's? I'm sad that he moved further out ...it was already a bit of trek to get to his former location on the west side

Ricky's blows away Best Fish Taco. That said, BFT is still pretty good. Quality control is an issue there, though - sometimes the fish is overcooked to the point where it tastes burnt, sometimes really salty for some reason.

What was Ricky's former Westside location? As long as I've been going (not that long, honestly) it's been Virgil, a short stint in Chinatown, and now Riverside.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I can't do spicy. =(

the mild is fine for people who don't like spicy but can take a touch of heat. My boss can't do spicy but he eats the mild with no real issue.

I mean, it's probably still the best fried chicken in the city even without the heat, but the heat is kinda the point.

I was getting a bit of anxiety about moving out to LA in a few weeks but then I scored tickets to see a Japanese band I've loved since I was in high school (Asian Kung Fu Generation) and remembered the benefits of moving out there #blessed

broz0rs

I was getting a bit of anxiety about moving out to LA in a few weeks but then I scored tickets to see a Japanese band I've loved since I was in high school (Asian Kung Fu Generation) and remembered the benefits of moving out there #blessed

Also, arguably the best Japanese food outside of Japan

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I heard jstevenson will actually be serving Howlin' Ray's at Insomniac's booth at E3.

I actually seriously, seriously had been trying to plot out a pre-order to bring down to the convention center on Wednesday or Thursday, but the biggest issue is the show is open at 10 those days.

I'll probably get lunch there Friday tho

I'm going to be in downtown LA most of the day tomorrow. Looking for recommendations on restaurants that have spicy or flavorful foods. Anything except sushi.

broz0rs

I'm going to be in downtown LA most of the day tomorrow. Looking for recommendations on restaurants that have spicy or flavorful foods. Anything except sushi.

Howlin Ray's! It's LAGAF's most popular food joint.

Get the medium spicy chicken sandwich, and challenge yourself with a high level spice wing.

If you want some spicy awesome Korean food, check out the galbi jjim at Sun Nong Dan in Ktown.

Mariscos Jalisco, LA's most popular Mexican seafood truck. Food is amazing there.

Pretty sure all these destinations are about 4 miles or less from DTLA

beat

Also:

Chego (same complex as Howlin Rays) for flavorful Korean fusion.

Guisados for great Mexican stews in taco form.

Ricebar for Filipino rice bowls.

beat

Chengdu Taste if youre prepping for an upcoming appearance on First we Feast

I went to Chengdu Taste recently! It was great. We had the greatest hits - toothpick beef (I know toothpick lamb is the star, but my friend vetoed lamb), green pepper sauce fish, jelly noodles, and "veggie delight".

But Chengdu Taste is not in DTLA.

golem

I went to Chengdu Taste recently! It was great. We had the greatest hits - toothpick beef (I know toothpick lamb is the star, but my friend vetoed lamb), green pepper sauce fish, jelly noodles, and "veggie delight".

Yeah, I dont even like spicy food really and was suffering hard but couldnt stop eating the food was so good.

My Russian friend is touring america and coming to LA for the first time. He's obviously (sadly) super excited about Hollywood but what would y'all reccomend for the best area to stay/get an Airbnb in?

Yo LA gaf currently looking for a new apartment and was wondering how everyone here found there's? I have checked all the sites but the options seem a bit limited. Everyone says to drive/walk a neighborhood you plan to live in and look for signs as they are often the best deals. Any input? Thanks!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yo LA gaf currently looking for a new apartment and was wondering how everyone here found there's? I have checked all the sites but the options seem a bit limited. Everyone says to drive/walk a neighborhood you plan to live in and look for signs as they are often the best deals. Any input? Thanks!

WestsideRentals remains the best place to get an apartment imho.

JEKKI

maaaaaaaaan I got stung by a bee on the train!

seriously! like, LA Metro is already a love/hate thing.

I love it because it's the only thing that makes california feel like an actual functional city, like pretty much everywhere else that isnt LA,

but I hate it becoz it's actually awful! Like cool I made it to E3 without having to put up with driving or parking, but it smelled like pee for 40 minutes.

and now to the long list of reasons you can give someone to advise them against taking metro, you can now add getting stung by a bee to the list!!!

Anyone in the Valley up for doing stuff? (Hike, game, movie, museum, theatre, you name it)

I've been here for over a year and am still struggling to make actual friends. Know loads of people but none I would call friends.

I love it because it's the only thing that makes california feel like an actual functional city, like pretty much everywhere else that isnt LA,

but I hate it becoz it's actually awful! Like cool I made it to E3 without having to put up with driving or parking, but it smelled like pee for 40 minutes.

and now to the long list of reasons you can give someone to advise them against taking metro, you can now add getting stung by a bee to the list!!!
Cone on, the metro trains aren't so bad. It's the occasional homeless people who come in and stink up the place. Just switch to another cart on the next stop.

Aw, I love it!

Coming from NYC it's definitely not on that scale but it can be handy. I live downtown just a couple blocks from the 7th St. station. My partner takes the Expo to work and we take the red line often to go to the movies or grab a bite in Hollywood. Haven't done much with the gold line yet, but plan to.

And for me, I'd take subway stank over sitting in traffic any ol day.

JEKKI

nah I do like metro. It makes getting to DTLA / Hollywood / Little Tokyo / Ktown / Langers / Amoeba Records easy... I jus gotta drive 30 minutes to Long Beach from OC to get to the nearest station >_< or an hour in traffic if I plan a trip after work.

I'd like to try taking it to Santa Monica one day, but I think that's a 2 hour trip on top of the drive to LB.

I wish it could get me to Silver Lake tho... or closer to El Rey.

also... bees. I got stung by one on the train. I got the rash to prove it too.
Anyone in the Valley up for doing stuff? (Hike, game, movie, museum, theatre, you name it)

I've been here for over a year and am still struggling to make actual friends. Know loads of people but none I would call friends.
I'm joining a local pinball league here in my hood (Santa Ana), but apparently in the Valley they got the super legit pinball scene over there!

at this KBBQ spot called AYCE GOGI in Van Nuys. I been there once, food wise it's average (average for KBBQ, which means it's still delicious) but in the back they randomly have a pinball arcade that hosts league tournaments!

Van Nuys also is the best place to get Peruvian food. Every corner seems to have a legit Peruvian spot.

Oh, in Reseda there's also a big ping pong spot. Never been but I'm curious to check it out.

Trying to find a good place for a group dinner around korea town. We have some vegetarians in the group so KBBQ probably isn't the best option

Zyzyxxz

lol that's like a block from my place. I go there way too much.

I was thinking maybe shabu shabu or something similar? I really want KBBQ and beers but like 1/3 of my party are vegetarians :(

Theres the Shabu-Ya place and maybe the veges can get their own table and pot

broz0rs

lol that's like a block from my place. I go there way too much.

I was thinking maybe shabu shabu or something similar? I really want KBBQ and beers but like 1/3 of my party are vegetarians :(

take them to a place that has bibimbap (Korean mixed rice). that's like the ultimate Korean vegetarian food if you don't have a meat topping.

Top Bottom