• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

LA GAF, need your help... planning a memorial day weekend with my close friends in Downtown LA/West side. I would much appreciate suggestions on where to eat and what to do. I could use some bar recommendations or something unique in downtown area. Basically we're going to be boozing it up...
Wish I could help, but I don't really do the bar stuff. Have you tried The Edison? Library Bar is supposed to be popular, too.

I'm going to California Adventure Park for the very first time tomorrow.

What are the most see shows and rides? Any good food inside?
Disney's? Grab a fast pass for the Cars ride as soon as you can. Midway Mania (Toy Story ride) is good, but it doesn't have fast pass. California Screamin' is good, and if Tower of Terror is still around, it's good, too.

Ariel's Grotto is good for food. The lobster nachos are good if you can only get to the bar. There are also some great restaurants in The Grand California hotel, like Napa Rose, but it might be really hard to get in. Catal in Downtown Disney is good, too.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm going to California Adventure Park for the very first time tomorrow.

What are the most see shows and rides? Any good food inside?

The Tower of Terror :(

In reality though, you're going during the Food and Wine Festival so there is a ton of amazing stuff that's not normally there.

I would lean towards Ghiradelli ice cream fountain, Corn Dogs, the Chili Cone Carne in Cars land. Also the nice restaurant in the Carthay Circle is supposedly great.

The Frozen show is big and epic and you probably want to see it.

The best open ride now is Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land. The single rider line is a godsend here.

You have to go on Soarin' over the World and Midway Mania. ToT being offline is a huge bummer for you as that's a terrific ride. Other ones include the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, the Boat rapids ride (may get wet), and California Screamin.

Check out the games on the midway as they are themed and fun.

FYF lineup announced. It was already announced a bit ago that its in July this year. 3 days now, too. 2 days was exhausting as is ;_;

C7dCp2OV0AAfekJ.jpg:large

A picture of Mac Demarco is fittingly hilarious given how it seemed he's been there every year the past couple years. I remember running into him in the bathroom in 2014, nice guy.

Won't be surprised to see him turn up again.

McLovin

Hey LA gaf, my sister became a flight attendant and gave me her benefits :D
I don't really travel much but I plan on changing that. I always wanted to go to LA so I was planning on there this weekend just to visit, try food, go sight seeing. Any suggestions?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey LA gaf, my sister became a flight attendant and gave me her benefits :D
I don't really travel much but I plan on changing that. I always wanted to go to LA so I was planning on there this weekend just to visit, try food, go sight seeing. Any suggestions?

what have you always wanted to do here / where do you want to go here?

JLG-

Finally went to Howlin' Ray's...and omg was it amazing.

Spicy, juicy, and crunchy! It's definitely worth the hype and those long ass lines. Some of the best fried chicken i've ever had.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Spicy, juicy, and crunchy! It's definitely worth the hype and those long ass lines. Some of the best fried chicken i've ever had.

it's so fucking legit.

they need to get more capacity they could sell so much more chicken

Beach

It really is. Going to try to hit it again next Sunday. What time did you go/how long was the wait? Wondering if it's gotten any better in the past months..

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It really is. Going to try to hit it again next Sunday. What time did you go/how long was the wait? Wondering if it's gotten any better in the past months..

no, the wait has gotten worst since the holidays.

Sat/Sun is consistently a 3 hour wait... maybe dropping to 2-2.5 hours until they cap the line. The line forms so early now, you can show up at 8 to get a 3 hour wait, and sort of consistently builds up to 3 hours as their 11am opening approaches.

Weekdays later in the afternoon are really the only way to fly, or showing up at 10am or so on a weekday can result in an ok wait.

JLG-

Almost 3 hour wait today. Pretty crazy. I was with friends though so time went by pretty fast.

edit: got there like right at 11.

Hollywood always gets shit in on this thread but those in the area check out Black Rabbit Rose. Operated by the same team that runs Davey Waynes, No Vacancy, and Breakroom 86.

Zyzyxxz

Hollywood always gets shit in on this thread but those in the area check out Black Rabbit Rose. Operated by the same team that runs Davey Waynes, No Vacancy, and Breakroom 86.

also food is being done by Luv2Eat Thai Bistro (I know the name is ridiculous but the food is legit)

mozfan12

Banned
FYF lineup announced. It was already announced a bit ago that its in July this year. 3 days now, too. 2 days was exhausting as is ;_;

Ima be there. I prefer FYF because it's a bit more indie than Coachella, thought at this moment it just seems to be exploding and I get to sleep in my own bed at the end of the day.

shinshengumi is a really good intro to ramen spot, no specialization, customizable and cheap refills. easiest to lure "you mean like top ramen?" types of people.

broz0rs

I think my favorite is Tatsu ramen. Lots of flavor in the broth, nice house made noodles. It's also Kogi truck owner Roy Choi's favorite too.

Top Bottom