• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 debuts at No. 1 in the UK, first time for a Mario game since 2008

Maybe, or maybe all the hype will just slowly fade away

I don´t know

But yeah, MK8 debuting at number 1 means nothing without knowing the numbers

I mean, I didnt even know 2 and 4 existed, and 3 is a 4 years old game....

2s7go.jpg

big_erk

I'm starting to think March was a pretty good time to release Switch.

The PS4 and XB1 have a fair stream of games coming out..but there's really nothing that would dominate attention in the next 4 or so months.

If it was November/December, Nintendo likely wouldn't get a look in..but at a slower time of the year like this it's gaining them so good PR, which should leave it in a fair position this holiday if they keep things ticking along nicely. Both Splatoon 2 and ARMS are in the UK top 20 at Amazon as well.
I'm beginning to think that by the time the holiday shopping season rolls around the Switch is gonna have a ridiculous mindshare. Nintendo should have stock sorted out by then. If that's the case the Switch will move crazy units for Christmas.

phanphare

Banned
I beginning to think that by the time the holiday shopping season rolls around the Switch is gonna have a ridiculous mindshare. Nintendo should have stock sorted out by then. If that's the case the Switch will move crazy units for Christmas.

yeah they did a really good job with their strategy and road map. instead of launching during the holiday season with a system seller and making the core Nintendo fans fight over stock with more casual holiday shoppers they separated those audiences and will now roll into the holidays with multiple system sellers as well as a robust offering of games beyond those hardware moving titles. you could theoretically walk into the Switch section in November and see Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Minecraft, Splatoon, and perhaps Pokemon staring you in the face.

EDarkness

I'm thinking Fifa and NBA 2k will definitely move some units. I wonder if EA will see the momentum and try to make Madden as well.

If NBA 2K18 and FIFA turn out great and aren't dumbed down, then I'll jump in. I've been craving a good b-ball game, and I'm definitely willing to jump in. I hope they don't slack off as it would really be shooting themselves in the foot.

yeah they did a really good job with their strategy and road map. instead of launching during the holiday season with a system seller and making the core Nintendo fans fight over stock with more casual holiday shoppers they separated those audiences and will now roll into the holidays with multiple system sellers as well as a robust offering of games beyond those hardware moving titles. you could theoretically walk into the Switch section in November and see Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Minecraft, Splatoon, and perhaps Pokemon staring you in the face.

Purely from a first party perspective, Switch will have the best year-one lineup in video game history.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i have a bunch of friends who would get a Switch if that NBA port is the same as other consolses.

720p, solid 30 fps and full feature parity would be huge for this crowd.

This is oft posted here, but I'm not actually sure it's the case.

Wii/DS were a cultural phenomenon like everywhere else. The Wii U bombed, again, like everywhere else. And so forth.

Yeah, Wii U just tanked a bit more for whatever reason in UK. Wii (fastest UK selling console) was huge as was DS and other handhelds all the way back to the Gameboy. N64 and Gamecube suffered worldwide. SNES actually did very well after releasing quite late after the Mega Drive and really dominated the TV game shows and other kid/teen shows from 93 onwards.

Crayon

They are getting the pieces into place to slay for christmas. Get the store sorted. Add vc. Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario possibly well received. Minecraft. Skyrim. Hopefully have a good price for the online system. Show the hopefully good smartphone app. Vet video apps on he system. Get most of that right and have the supply chain ready for christmas. Keep crushing the marketing. They're in a good spot.

Zia

What else came out this week?
Oh wait, nothing

So what came out the same week as every other Mario game released since 2011 that prevented them from reaching #1? It's not a pissing contest but rather another data point that, combined with other data we have, reinforces the trend that this is Nintendo's most successful console launch since at least the Wii.

Cuburt

Has there ever been a Mario Kart even close to launch like this?

MK8D and Zelda is the best one two punch of games for a launch window that I can think of in a long time.

phanphare

Banned
Has there ever been a Mario Kart even close to launch like this?

MK8D and Zelda is the best one two punch of games for a launch window that I can think of in a long time.

it's funny how great the Switch launch window looks now in retrospect, software-wise

stoke1863

This is great news, now Nintendo needs to get its retail spaces sorted in the UK. There are a lot of supermarkets who either 0 Nintendo presence (smaller tesco stores) or have miniscule space Vs Xbox/ps. This will be a huge thing for mum and dad buying a console at Xmas. Even dedicated gaming stores have very little shelf space for Nintendo

NolbertoS

i have a bunch of friends who would get a Switch if that NBA port is the same as other consolses.

720p, solid 30 fps and full feature parity would be huge for this crowd.

I think if FIFA 18 is decent on Switch, I expedt UK and European sales to be bullish. If Madden, NBA and NHL 18 is decent for North America than Switch will sell. Problem is that EA have never given Nintendo great support. They would rather Nintendo go 3rd party than make them a phoenix in the gaming industry again.

phanphare

Banned
I always thought their software roadmap was strong, especially when you consider the eShop.

I always thought the road map was strong and for first party Nintendo games it's one of the best year one line ups I've seen, probably the best

but I did think from launch through Mario Kart it was a little light on content. then the Nindie thing happened, then it became clear that the indie line up was spaced in a way to get good stuff out there every week, and now we're at Mario Kart and I've got multiple games in my backlog and even more that I haven't bought yet.

psyfi

Banned
The power of Mario Kart, man. I honestly don't get it, I haven't found the series exciting since MKDS. But cool, glad Nintendo's finding success and people are having fun. :)

M3d10n

Nintendo has an entire line up of great games nobody played due to the Wii U being an utter failure they can use to fill the gaps between original Switch games. I wouldn't be surprised if Switch remasters sold more than their Wii U originals.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Very impressive and well deserved.
The game is great and looks gorgeous despite its Wii U origin.

You can't be bothered to post the content of the link? Not everyone can access Twitter.

Sorry, edited.

Oregano

You can't be bothered to post the content of the link? Not everyone can access Twitter.

Ehhh the vast majority of Wii U games from Nintendo look fantastic, even at 720p.

yurinka

GTAV has longer legs than Sonic Boom. Nice to see Mario Kart / a Switch game performing well, even if it's a tweaked port. I bet the next time we'll see this is with Mario Odyssey.

Charamiwa

Banned

Better week 1 than MK8 or 7, but not quite the 206k that MK Wii did.

edit: I keep seeing this 68% increase number for Zelda this week, where does it come from? Just something thrown in the article like that? Wish we could get actual numbers...

Top Bottom