• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 debuts at No. 1 in the UK, first time for a Mario game since 2008

eh number 2 is a bad ghost warrior game, i'd be surprised if it does anything more then 40k topping in a dead week is just PR.

Happy to see Nintendo do well with a legitimately awesome gaming system. During the Wii days it felt off to me with the waggle crap. But now its just a great product.

Regiruler

This is oft posted here, but I'm not actually sure it's the case.

Wii/DS were a cultural phenomenon like everywhere else. The Wii U bombed, again, like everywhere else. And so forth.

Nah, the UK was greatly underperforming other European regions in terms of software.

Maybe not in the uk. It won't take a lot to get to number 1 in the charts here considering other releases and sales atm. Zelda will likely be around 100k here, not sure if mk8d will do that week 1.
Edit - 68% increase for zelda, nice.

Bolded has me curious actually. Horizon: Zero Dawn debuted ahead of Zelda in the UK, but if Zelda sales are tied to Switch sales - as this would suggest - then would longer legs possibly lead to Breath of The Wild outselling Horizon in the UK in the long run?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
How good it's doing in the UK is a good litmus test for if it's going to do well or REALLY well.

If us miserable bastards like it, it's a hit.

Bolded has me curious actually. Horizon: Zero Dawn debuted ahead of Zelda in the UK, but if Zelda sales are tied to Switch sales - as this would suggest - then would longer legs possibly lead to Breath of The Wild outselling Horizon in the UK in the long run?

I doubt it, simply because Nintendo never devalues their games, it'll stay £50 for years to come, sony will price drop horizon and bundle the hell out of it come Q3/4

Plus we'll never know either way anyways :p

This is oft posted here, but I'm not actually sure it's the case.

Wii/DS were a cultural phenomenon like everywhere else. The Wii U bombed, again, like everywhere else. And so forth.

Definitely is the case, Wii and DS aside.

NES and SNES didn't fare well against Sega back in the day. Gamecube especially had a rough time. Nintendo was fairly irrelevant until the DS ignited. 3DS did 'ok'.

I think Splatoon 2 and Odyssey will both outsell it, we shall see.

Mario Kart has outsold every 3D Mario game since the GameCube. Splatoon is an X factor admittedly, but MK8 outsold it on Wii U.

MK is arguably Nintendo's most powerful IP next to Pokemon. Mario Kart Wii was the second-best selling game on the Wii, ever. They were smart as hell to port MK8 as quickly as they did, and it's going to pay off extremely well.

Guardians

Banned

Yes ;)

Dystify

I think Splatoon 2 and Odyssey will both outsell it, we shall see.

This year? Odyssey will likely launch November, maybe early December. No way it's gonna sell more than MK8D this year. (Probably won't ever reach it.) Splatoon 2 will likely outsell it's predecessor but no way it's gonna reach Mario Kart either imo. Would have to pull HUGE numbers worldwide.

Salvadora

It's been like 6 years since their games cracked the #1 spot. I seem to recall other regions like France taking more to their games and hardware
I don't regard that as particularly noteworthy considering that Pokemon is separated by SKU.

There are stronger and weaker markets for Nintendo, sure, but I don't regard the U.K games market as inherently "very difficult" for Nintendo.

They just needed to produce a compelling product.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Without actual sales numbers it's not very telling considering the competition.

I wonder if Zelda crossed paths with Horizon by now seeing as it charts higher.

jonno394

Im expecting some official PR tomorrow from Nintendo regarding worldwide sales as long as the figures are good.

Nintendo uk won't say anything because of our lovely bank holiday.

AniHawk

it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games debut at #1 so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games debut at #1 so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.

Excellent work.

Didn't think the port to a different console would have so much of an effect, the switch is really on fire.
In the grand scheme of things of this new market that Nintendo opened for the Switch; Mario Kart 8 and anything on the Wii U might as well have not existed.

Nintendo was probably gonna DX every majors Wii U game. Mario Kart 8 just proved that they should.

LotusHD

Banned

tumblr_nhkjmgvQ8L1s7oxg6o1_400.gif

13ruce

Banned

Honestly it won't surprise me if some gaffers still think the Switch is a failure and will meet the same fate as Wii U.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Thanks... We are done here since this is pretty much the summary of the next couple pages.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i hope the unified development plan leads to a whole console lifespan like this - a great, successful game every ~1.5 months

Very refreshing to see Nintendo do well in the UK, outside of Pokemon there hasn't really been a Nintendo related phenomenon here since the Wii days.

Did Bomberman get a boost? Also curious of the split for Puyo Puyo Tetris. Not surprising in the slightest that it did most on Switch, and it's more expensive too!

Nesther

Haha, well played.

On topic though, impressive numbers and well deserved. I'm really enjoying the game myself.

jonno394

i hope the unified development plan leads to a whole console lifespan like this - a great, successful game every ~1.5 months

Not every game will perform well but yeah theres a good chance we get something like that. Post Splatoon 2 we just need to throw in one more game to the mix (outside of Mario and fire emblem) unless Xenoblade 2 actually releases this year!

Ideally there should be 4 games between Splatoon 2 and Christmas imo, to maximise sales.

Taker666

I'm starting to think March was a pretty good time to release Switch.

The PS4 and XB1 have a fair stream of games coming out..but there's really nothing that would dominate attention in the next 4 or so months.

If it was November/December, Nintendo likely wouldn't get a look in..but at a slower time of the year like this it's gaining them so good PR, which should leave it in a fair position this holiday if they keep things ticking along nicely. Both Splatoon 2 and ARMS are in the UK top 20 at Amazon as well.

Ashtar

Nice, I do wonder what the numbers were like or what it did compared to previous entries because competition was scarce

Bruno MB

Mario Kart Wii impressive run in the UK market.

First Week Sales - 186,000 / NEW

[April, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 386,000 / NEW
[May, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 68,000 / 454,000
[June, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 67,000 / 521,000
[July, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 69,000 / 590,000
[August, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 129,000 / 719,000
[September, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 148,000 / 867,000
[October, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 89,000 / 956,000
[November, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 217,000 / 1,173,000
[December, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 533,000 / 1,706,000
[January, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 87,000 / 1,793,000
[February, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 70,000 / 1,863,000
[March, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) -
[April, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 51,000 /
[May, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 41,000 /
[June, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 42,000 /
[July, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) -
[August, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 34,000 /
[September, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 42,000 /
[October, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) -
[November, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) -
[December, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) -
[January, 2010] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 45,000 / 2,617,000

They have the opportunity to make this happen. Add in some key Third Parties and the Switch library is going to be much larger than Wii U. Wii U currently has 158 Retail games in NA (number includes double packs like Bayo 1 and Star Fox Guard). With Switch selling well it will easily blow that number away and that's not counting all the Digital only games.

phanphare

Banned
Not every game will perform well but yeah theres a good chance we get something like that. Post Splatoon 2 we just need to throw in one more game to the mix (outside of Mario and fire emblem) unless Xenoblade 2 actually releases this year!

Ideally there should be 4 games between Splatoon 2 and Christmas imo, to maximise sales.

mario rabbids in august, fire emblem warriors in september, pokemon in october, mario in november, xenoblade in december. zelda DLC in there somehwhere as well.

Perfect-Adrenal-Fatigue.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Mario Kart Wii impressive run in the UK market.

First Week Sales - 186,000 / NEW

[April, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 386,000 / NEW
[May, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 68,000 / 454,000
[June, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 67,000 / 521,000
[July, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 69,000 / 590,000
[August, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 129,000 / 719,000
[September, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 148,000 / 867,000
[October, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 89,000 / 956,000
[November, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 217,000 / 1,173,000
[December, 2008] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 533,000 / 1,706,000
[January, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 87,000 / 1,793,000
[February, 2009] MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO) - 70,000 / 1,863,000