• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 debuts at No. 1 in the UK, first time for a Mario game since 2008

jonno394

mario rabbids in august, fire emblem warriors in september, pokemon in october, mario in november, xenoblade in december. zelda DLC in there somehwhere as well.

Well that'd be great but at present two of those aren't announced and one could do well be delayed.

E3 can't come soon enough :)

Plum

Mario Kart's definitely turned out to be a very clever move from Nintendo. Been with family all weekend and the game's already convinced one of them to get a Switch in the future, which is anecdotal, sure, but I think the sales data will back it up.

Now, Nintendo, send someone big down to the EA headquarters with briefcases full of cash. If the Switch version of FIFA 18 has content parity and good online integration it could really help the console break into the UK market even more.

Savitar

Had no idea what the NS numbers were like over there so hearing this is nice.

Been hearing some the system was selling out in some places and not so much in other countries in the Euro.

Charamiwa

Banned
Zelda is up in the charts too, which means that it benefits from the Mario Kart push. I suspect it'll have legs, the more Switch gets in the wild. Still, without actual number it's a bit pointless.

Plum

Zelda is up in the charts too, which means that it benefits from the Mario Kart push. I suspect it'll have legs, the more Switch gets in the wild. Still, without actual number it's a bit pointless.

Well, for now, it's "the" big singleplayer game on the console. Until games like Skyrim, Mario Odyssey and whatever else is unannounced start coming out it's in a pretty good position to sell a copy with most new Switches.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well that'd be great but at present two of those aren't announced and one could do well be delayed.

E3 can't come soon enough :)

I agree
But for the same reasons you think Xeno could be delayed (previous episodes) we should also imagine that at least 1 or at maximum 2 unannounced games will be revealed at e3 and released within the year

Could be Animal crossing (the App is still planned for this FY) or a minor title of course

Mario Kart's definitely turned out to be a very clever move from Nintendo. Been with family all weekend and the game's already convinced one of them to get a Switch in the future, which is anecdotal, sure, but I think the sales data will back it up.

Now, Nintendo, send someone big down to the EA headquarters with briefcases full of cash. If the Switch version of FIFA 18 has content parity and good online integration it could really help the console break into the UK market even more.

It will be interesting to see how FIFA sells on Switch. I honestly don't know what to expect but it will depend on the quality of the port to some extent of course.

I would hope Nintendo made sure FIFA 18 has all the bells and whistles because it's honestly the one and only title than can truly push systems for them in UK. I think FIFA is their most important title for Europe overall. They need it to be fully featured with everything and coming the same day at PS4/X1. They need to have FIFA bundles in UK/Europe.

LotusHD

Banned

On a random note, I always found it humorous that we all acknowledge that anecdotes don't mean shit, yet we tend to love to share them anyways lol

jonno394

It will be interesting to see how FIFA sells on Switch. I honestly don't know what to expect but it will depend on the quality of the port to some extent of course.

I would hope Nintendo made sure FIFA 18 has all the bells and whistles because it's honestly the one and only title than can truly push systems for them in UK. I think FIFA is their most important title for Europe overall. They need it to be fully featured with everything and coming the same day at PS4/X1. They need to have FIFA bundles in UK/Europe.

Indeed. Ultimate team needs to be feature perfect with the other versions. It's the most popular Fifa mode and it will make our break it. As will the online capabilities of the switch to run said mode.

Neff

I'm seeing it myself, as are others when they take it out in public and share it. It's a one-of-a-kind, a multiplayer console which gets demo unit'd by its very nature. It's inherently viral.

The fact that they made FIFA a key part of their initial presentation tells me they know exactly how important and potentially huge it is.

Indeed. Ultimate team needs to be feature perfect with the other versions. It's the most popular Fifa mode and it will make our break it. As will the online capabilities of the switch to run said mode.

A decent local multiplayer is needed as well. Although I'm looking forward to playing FIFA on the train with mates on trips to London

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I really want a tv out cable for switch. Mario kart would be great for after work but would be much better gathered around the big TV

jonno394

A decent local multiplayer is needed as well. Although I'm looking forward to playing FIFA on the train with mates on trips to London

Oh yeah, that as well lol. Fifa won't work *properly* with a single joycon though due to number of inputs, so that's something they'll have to consider. I could imagine a simplified single joycon control scheme though For those times when needs must.

I was going to say that too. I want to say that's a given. The local multiplayer and connecting people near each other with their Switches to play. You got 2 play FIFA right out of the box. These need to be pushed heavily in advertising in the UK.

GetLucky

I'm thinking Fifa and NBA 2k will definitely move some units. I wonder if EA will see the momentum and try to make Madden as well.

Plum

If it doesn't have Ultimate Team it might as well not exist in terms of major sales numbers. I tell you what though, seeing the Switch version of FIFA 18 and how it differs is going to make this year's EA E3 conference that tiny bit more interesting. Seeing the game be played at football games around the country means it'll advertise itself, but that won't mean anything if the longevity isn't there or if it's some "All Play" crap.

On a random note, I always found it humorous that we all acknowledge that anecdotes don't mean shit, yet we tend to love to share them anyways lol

They aren't entirely meaningless; my family couldn't give a fuck about the Wii U and only knew about it because I owned one. Though yeah, they don't point to anything major.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm actually more (pleasantly) surprised that Little Nightmares came in at n°4, that's pretty impressive.

jonno394

I was going to say that too. I want to say that's a given. The local multiplayer and connecting people near each other with their Switches to play. You got 2 play FIFA right out of the box. These need to be pushed heavily in advertising in the UK.

As i said in my post, if they offer single joycon multiplayer then it will have to have a simplified control scheme, not enough inputs. For quick commute multiplayer it should be fine if you can't do skills etc, but serious sessions will require proper controller setup imo.

Stick - move
Face buttons - pass, shoot, chip, cross / press, team mate press, slide, tackle
Shoulder - run, control ball/change player

As i said in my post, single joycon multiplayer will have to have a simplified control scheme, not enough inputs. For quick commute multiplayer it should be fine if you can't do skills etc, but serious sessions will require proper controller setup imo.

Stick - move
Face buttons - pass, shoot, chip, cross / press, team mate press, slide, tackle
Shoulder - run, control ball/change player

Yeah a nice simpler version. Kind of like ARMS letting you use one joy con, but it will be simplified since there aren't enough inputs to do everything.

CLEEK

I'm starting to think March was a pretty good time to release Switch.

The PS4 and XB1 have a fair stream of games coming out..but there's really nothing that would dominate attention in the next 4 or so months.

If it was November/December, Nintendo likely wouldn't get a look in..but at a slower time of the year like this it's gaining them so good PR, which should leave it in a fair position this holiday if they keep things ticking along nicely. Both Splatoon 2 and ARMS are in the UK top 20 at Amazon as well.

Bare in mind that Switch launched during the peak of incredible games that had been flowing onto PS4 in the past few months. The current PS4 library is phenomenal, and the Switch was a success anyway.

Great hardware combined with a contender for the best videogame ever made means that its popularity was in spite of the current competition. The one benefit to launching earlier in the year is to get supply issues sorted before heading into Xmas.

Oh yeah, that as well lol. Fifa won't work *properly* with a single joycon though due to number of inputs, so that's something they'll have to consider. I could imagine a simplified single joycon control scheme though For those times when needs must.

Simple controls will be fine for quick games. Still I'd be packing a pro controller with me so we can have 2 player with full controls

Cerium

Bare in mind that Switch launched during the peak of incredible games that had been flowing onto PS4 in the past few months. The current PS4 library is phenomenal, and the Switch was a success anyway.

Great hardware combined with a contender for the best videogame ever made means that its popularity was in spite of the current competition. The one benefit to launching earlier in the year is to get supply issues sorted before heading into Xmas.

I definitely think it needed Zelda to cut through the string of amazing releases.

Nintendo brought a nuclear warhead to a gun fight.

Cerium

Mario Kart is almost always the best selling franchise on every piece of Nintendo hardware with exceptions for, like, Wii Sports and maybe Pokemon. It will outsell Odyssey and Splatoon worldwide.

I definitely think it needed Zelda to cut through the string of amazing releases.

Nintendo brought a nuclear warhead to a gun fight.

Anything less would have been buried by HZD. Now, HZD is slipping down the list while Breath of the Wild just went up like Link just lit a fire.

gogogow

it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games debut at #1 so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.

Duh! And Switch owners are STARVING for games! They will eat up ANYTHING!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Splatoon 2 is probably going to outsell MK in japan, but not global. I don't think so.
I believe it will, because Switch is attracting an older, more gamer oriented audience, who buy more games, and like shooters.

Besides Switch launched with two monumental Nintendo games, and they certainly have gained tremendous faith in their software.

NotLiquid

The fast reversal of misfortune Nintendo has had with the Switch will never cease to amaze me.

it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games debut at #1 so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.

I don't know what's funnier, the satire in and of itself or the fact you went as high as 8 million for the make-believe barometer.

Just felt like quoting this from another thread:

I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will probably prove that the Wii U really was just such an unappealing black hole of a console that was fundamentally flawed in its concept, so much to the point where nobody but us Nintendo diehards wanted to buy it, even if it had good games on it.

Now, that was pretty obvious all along, but I'm just bringing it up because a lot of folks were saying in the past that "uh, if people didn't buy a Wii U for MK8 why would they buy a Switch for it?", ignoring the fact that the Switch is a far more stronger concept for a console and thus obviously more appealing to the masses.

Add a +1 sale for FIFA from me providing its a good version.

What people under estimate about FIFA is that funnily enough it's a great party game that goes with Bomberman, Mario Kart, Jackbox Party games etc. Not only is it good to keep two gamers busy who prefer a game of FIFA while others do something else, but it can be played with 8 players having 4 on 4 matches and 8 player games are always welcome on a Nintendo console!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Rather sarcastic. lol

My friend went out and bought a Switch and MK8 this weekend 👏

Glad she's hopping on board, I finally know someone else with one irl!

Bruno MB

Here how Mario Kart 64 debuted back in June 1997 and Mario Kart: Super Circuit (2001). Unfortunately I didn't find anything about Super Mario Kart.

WycJrS9.jpg

WW2d5xQ.jpg

They really need to make sure they get the FIFA release right---feature parity, marketing, and long-term online support. They should treat it just like they would one of their own first-party releases, which would include a large-scale marketing campaign and hardware bundles.

bud23

Nintendo definitely has a success in their hands.

Maybe, or maybe all the hype will just slowly fade away

I don´t know

But yeah, MK8 debuting at number 1 means nothing without knowing the numbers

I mean, I didnt even know 2 and 4 existed, and 3 is a 4 years old game....

Top Bottom