• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

How does a buffer make low ping users better? The whole point of adding buffers is so you have a window that accounts for delays, that's like saying Alistar got stronger because they made his headbutt combo easier to do on higher pings, low ping people shouldn't be needing buffers to begin with.

for karthus specifically it allows him to predot an area where his opponent would move into, meaning that as soon as the animation for the first Q ends that the second one will go off immediately(and so on) without having to worry about timing the Q(or mash Q with a chance to err).

Is ancient Coin restricted to supports? I can see it being picked up by other roles simply because an extra skill point earlier on is good

10 BANS

When the 10 ban format comes to regular play, it'll look different than what you've been seeing in the pro scene. There are some fundamental differences in how bans are used between the two scenarios, so we'll be adapting the system based on the needs of matchmade games.

In the regular play system, we want to make sure we give all players equal agency (everyone gets a ban) while keeping champion select fair (where it doesn't matter where you end up in the pick order). If possible, we'll also be cutting down on champ select's overall length. Expect to see more shortly after midseason.

Once 10 bans launches, you'll need to own 20 or more champions to play ranked (up from 16). We'll be running an IP boost weekend very soon to give you the chance to make up the difference.

Oh god yes

maybe I"ll redownload league

for that and Rakan

Sejuani's stun looks BANANAS
for karthus specifically it allows him to predot an area where his opponent would move into, meaning that as soon as the animation for the first Q ends that the second one will go off immediately(and so on) without having to worry about timing the Q(or mash Q with a chance to err).
Yeah but how will that affect low and high ping users differently?

Leezard

Is ancient Coin restricted to supports? I can see it being picked up by other roles simply because an extra skill point earlier on is good

Since it's a quest reward it should only be awarded after you finish the quest. The quest is likely to pick up a number of the coins that sometimes drop off of creeps you don't get the last hit on.

How many creeps that you don't last-hit (or do you need another champ to last-hit it now?) would you likely need to finish the quest? If it's not reasonably to attain it by a solo laner who actually tries to cs it shouldn't be overpowered.

clemenx

Banned
Don't know what the ARAM changes really mean but I hope they do what's intended. For some reason lately it feels like most aram games go 30 minutes and that should be a nono for the map.

The quests can only be completed if you upgrade the item to the rank 2 version at least, so any solo laner wanting that extra skill point is gonna have to waste a lot of gold and time for it.

Yeah but how will that affect low and high ping users differently?

Well that depends if there is an input delay from the client to the server, IE what you see and your input. In a fighting game, the server tries to match the inputs of both players by delaying the one with better ping, IE if I'm playing against my friend in Europe and he has a ping of 200 and I have a ping of 50, the server will delay my inputs until it has information from my opponent.

Essentially, it depends if League has a system like that. if I as a low ping player can input faster than a high ping player can react, then I will get more advantage out of the buffer compared to the high ping player who doesn't have the same input information(in this case the opponents placement).

But that's simply comparing it to a fighting game and how they deal with buffering, so I could totally be off on it.

Since it's a quest reward it should only be awarded after you finish the quest. The quest is likely to pick up a number of the coins that sometimes drop off of creeps you don't get the last hit on.

How many creeps that you don't last-hit (or do you need another champ to last-hit it now?) would you likely need to finish the quest? If it's not reasonably to attain it by a solo laner who actually tries to cs it shouldn't be overpowered.

The quests can only be completed if you upgrade the item to the rank 2 version at least, so any solo laner wanting that extra skill point is gonna have to waste a lot of gold and time for it.

I see, if you do require to be near last hits from an ally, yeah that wouldn't work for solo laners. Unless...we bring back the duo top/no jungle >_>

Duo top already exists, it's called "their jungler is better than mine"
303406101506818049.png

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Not very impressed with the new tank items. Adaptive Helm in particular just seems super niche and not useful at all. Hard to know about Stoneplate without specific numbers, but generally speaking I don't see very much that helps tanks from an items perspective. Excited to play the new Sejuani at least. Her clear will probably still be absolutely terrible though and she probably can't duel at all so...yeah. These are the kind of things stopping tanks from finding success in the jungle and I don't see that changing.

drawkcaB

A touch disappointed with Maokai's rework if only because I think making Twisted Advance a skillshot could have opened up other parts of his kit. Sejuani looks good. The slow potential on her ultimate looks really strong. She could potentially be even better in AoE comps. Zac looks really good depending on his numbers. It's unfortunate given their objectives they chose to keep his W intact. One of the most braindead abilities in the game.

Not very impressed with the new tank items. Adaptive Helm in particular just seems super niche and not useful at all. Hard to know about Stoneplate without specific numbers, but generally speaking I don't see very much that helps tanks from an items perspective. Excited to play the new Sejuani at least. Her clear will probably still be absolutely terrible though and she probably can't duel at all so...yeah. These are the kind of things stopping tanks from finding success in the jungle and I don't see that changing.

Just having her W deal bonus damage to monsters makes me feel comfortable about her jungling. If she isn't up to snuff after release then Riot has given themselves a very direct and concentrated way of improving her jungle clears

(ditto Maokai since he his bushed saplings deal more damage to monsters)

zkylon

zkylewd
i appreciate that they're mostly fair with their review of this half of the year. plants were the things i was most scared of and while i still keep accidentally clicking on them cos they're always right in that fucking midlane river ramp lol, they've added cool stuff to play around with and were overall the most positive thing i've seen from this preseason. i would've liked to see some direction on where they're taking leblanc since they seem to have completely forgotten about her and they'll probably do so again after they nerf gunblade, but i guess they don't know what to do with her yet. in general i feel like the assassins rework was largely unsuccessful because i don't feel khazix or talon or katarina or rengar or leblanc or zed or fizz or anyone really feel much more fair to play against than before, and i don't think they've cut down on their snowballing as much as they're saying. they've given kat and talon more interesting kits for sure, but i don't think they met their goal of injecting counterplay to these champions. if anything they've made some of them worse :/

so it's a rocky first half of the season, even tho i think plants are cool and they've course corrected a bunch

anywho, most of these new reworks sound cool, tho not sure how irritating some of these champions are gonna get (zac specially)

sejuani looks like she's gotten a lot more interesting. i wonder if the frozen thing works with anivia e, i understand why those interactions aren't generally there but at the same time it'd be kinda cool

zac q is hilarious and new ult is also pretty funny. also is his revive passive faster or did it just seem like it? ult is also pretty funny. seems like decent changes, tho i wish they had reduced his e range, i hate that fucking thing

maokai doesn't look much more interesting and his ult looks kind of really hard to see at times since the vines keep going underground and whatever. like i wonder if you need to hit a vine or be in the ult are to get hit by it, cos getting hit by an invisible vine would suck. nothing super positive to say about maokai, as long as he deals less dmg and is less bullshit i'll be happy

not sure if the abyssal/banshee's thing was pulled, that would kind of suck since i liked it a bunch. overall the rest of the patch is cool, better clarity is nice and stats like vision score and crowd control score are cool. would love to see them create a "play of the game" system or like automatic highlights or whatever sometime soon if they intend to surface more stats and contributions to the game

finally nice to hear about honor and 10 bans being relatively soon on the horizon, as well as ranked 5s. honestly i think the ranked 5s thing is great but it's probably too late for me as my ranked 5s friends dropped out of the game kind as soon as riot removed it but who knows, maybe they'll come back

hopefully the next half of the year will be great

Hmmm

Seems like little on paper, but this has the potential of breaking Karthus and/or ryze if used correctly? Buffering is..interesting in a game like League.

Also Udyr got nerrrfed :(
not really gonna do much for karthus unless you're in high ping, for most ppl it's not gonna be noticeable

Lol, those Ivern nerfs. I smell mini-rework incoming (Illaoi, Tahm Kench scale).
i forget, did those two actually get reworks? i vaguely remember illaoi's test getting changed a bunch but idk if they ever catalogued it as a mini-rework

Not much of a patch, is it.
yeah, i wish they had done a little bit to address some solo q concerns (like ahri or lulu)

can't really expect them to change much this close to msi tho

at least lizzy got a small buff, tho i don't think the passive will do much

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Just having her W deal bonus damage to monsters makes me feel comfortable about her jungling. If she isn't up to snuff after release then Riot has given themselves a very direct and concentrated way of improving her jungle clears

(ditto Maokai since he his bushed saplings deal more damage to monsters)
Maybe the bonus magic damage to monsters will be crazy...probably not though if you look at stuff like Shen on this patch.

zkylon

zkylewd
5df48c1eb989700e.jpg

yVL5vqb.png

khazix skin looks pretty cool tho for some reason makes me think it's like a palette swap of another skin or something

da4b76c4f7b9ddbd.jpg

uHfygAp.png

ori splash is cool and the skin is cool as well but meh, this skinline is pretty lame looking. she got a bunch of cool skins before so can't complain much, tho i really wish they went back and redid most of her vfx. this skin is probably gonna have really cool vfx and it'd be nice if her ball had much better looking effects and they redid her model with some better animations and such

she deserves better

drawkcaB

Zky (on mobile to multi-quoting is a pain) Illaoi had some significant numbers moved around to make her E better for her and more fair for opponents. Tahm had numbers changed on his ult and his passive damage had a pretty big change to make it's progression more linear and controlled (better early in laning, worse late game).

I dunno. When a champ sees the moving of a component of their kit elsewhere or the impact and use-case of an ability change due to numbers, I think that's a rework.

Maybe the bonus magic damage to monsters will be crazy...probably not though if you look at stuff like Shen on this patch.

Riot doesn't think of Shen as a jungler though. There's a difference between throwing a bone to a champion so players can jungle them as opposed to helping them be a jungler.

Dekutulla

Kha'zix looks a bit like Nocturne in that splash art
I feel like that's in part because the splash for both of them has them coming out of some kinda portal or something, and DS kha isn't as distinct without legs

it's kinda a shame that thresh, varus, and kha all have very similar 'faceless toothy mouth heads', though. I like orianna being different from that, and it was fine when it was just thresh and varus b/c thresh has those head tentacles, but I do wish kha had something a little more distinct going on with his face

looks like a cool skin regardless, tho.

zkylon

zkylewd
xM_wqGZb.jpg

i wonder why league's twitter profile picture is this random crop of doctor shen's nurse akali

they've already said urgot's the next rework so i'm guessing no real meaning but it's such a weird picture to use as a profile pic since it's out of focus and has like shen's finger covering up like a third of it lol

Zky (on mobile to multi-quoting is a pain) Illaoi had some significant numbers moved around to make her E better for her and more fair for opponents. Tahm had numbers changed on his ult and his passive damage had a pretty big change to make it's progression more linear and controlled (better early in laning, worse late game).

I dunno. When a champ sees the moving of a component of their kit elsewhere or the impact and use-case of an ability change due to numbers, I think that's a rework.
i think changes like those would probably be healthy for a fair share of the roster

drawkcaB

The more I think about it, the more I'm disappointed by the tank reworks, mainly because the champion that needed the least amount of help, Zac, also ends up getting the best kit.

i think changes like those would probably be healthy for a fair share of the roster

Yeah. Changes of that scope generally work out well and are at worse lateral.

zkylon

zkylewd
L1ZSxAL.png

idk if anyone at rito ever buys rp but this screen in the new client needs work lol

(also there's typos, also pressing "back to the store" shows an error message lol)

anywho gonna got just enough rp for elementalist lux on sale soon

sweet

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
i can win when i'm autofilled to adc with a tp/flash voli support who starts dorans shield and an ahri who goes 0/5 against a zed but i can't win playing my heart out on my best champ on my preferred role

zzzzz fuck this game

drawkcaB

I might need to practice more, but first impression is that Sejuani's PBE clear is complete dog shit. Maokai's clear is somewhat better because he has a bit of an easier time taking red and buff camps because of the double bush damage from saplings, otherwise not that much better and very mana heavy. Zac is a tad slower, but otherwise more or less the same.

EDIT: Made some adjustments on Sej when clearing, got a bit more used to using her W and her clear is..ok? Doing a two-buff + 1 camp start is simple enough, but without a leash a full clear is a no-no, and probably very difficult even with one. She still has a lull from in the early levels clearing but it doesn't seem to last as long as it does on Live. By level 7 camps are getting taken quickly enough. Her single target damage is way better than before, which will definitely be nice for objectives.

There's something off about the tuning on Winter's Wrath (W). A huge amount (~80% ?) of the ability's damage is loaded on the second part, the thin line. It also still scales off of total health, with the base damages on the low side. Even at lower levels Sej is spamming this thing and the mana cost is quite high. I think those three things put together are making it weird, particularly the second issue. I think Riot is overestimating the impact of the total health scaling on the ability's damage in the early game. Off-hand, I feel like W should be scaling off of bonus health and the base numbers re-adjusted around that.

Despite all that, the new kit is genuinely pretty damn good. Her late game might be a bit too strong and early a touch too weak, but it's definitely a more rewarding kit when things are going right.

On a side note, new the damage calcs on Cinderhulk feel pretty damn amazing. It's a very welcome change for tank junglers.

After trying out Maokai again, he's easily the most disappointing of the three. He just feels bad.

drawkcaB

My heart is plat. Mom says that counts for something.

Won two games in a row for the first time in 20+ games. All I needed to turn my luck around was two games with AFK'ers.

zkylon

zkylewd
vpa1RqU.jpg

suggestion for ori chroma pls

"Inferior" wot
yeah they had to do their best to translate lane names which ends up having some dumb stuff like "inferior" for bottom and "superior" for top

and superior sucks specially cos it's abbreviated "sup" which you read as support and that's really confusing

but what can u do

Leezard

https://boards.pbe.leagueoflegends..../7YemAhrt-support-item-changes-midseason-2017
Additionally, we changed the timing of spending charges on the Spellthief's Edge line:

The cooldown on spending charges after a minion kill has been decreased from 12 seconds to 8 seconds, but this is now per minion kill. This means if you are Sona and your Q accidentally takes a minion you are punished less, but if you clear a whole wave, don't expect to be using any of your charges any time soon. :p

Frost Queen's Claim and Eye of the Watcher are unchanged as the restriction is lifted.
There is now a delay after a Tribute charge is spent before the same spell can spend another. This means that abilities such as Morgana's W and Miss Fortune's E don't 100% guarantee three stacks of damage/gold if your opponent moves out of the spell area.

Spellthief changes for midseason. Basically it's a bit worse on supports with spells that are really easy to proc stacks with, and increased punishment if they take minions. This should further discourage midlaners and toplaners from taking spellthief even if the spellthief line gets more powerful. Getting locked out from your stacks for 48 seconds for taking a whole minion wave is really big.

Leezard

someone should someday explain to me how to get started on jojo

Nowadays you can just start watching the anime, start from the first season. The first Part (first 9 episodes) can be a bit slow, but once Part 2 starts it gets great.

If you prefer reading the manga it's all out there as well.

Tizoc

vpa1RqU.jpg

suggestion for ori chroma pls

yeah they had to do their best to translate lane names which ends up having some dumb stuff like "inferior" for bottom and "superior" for top

and superior sucks specially cos it's abbreviated "sup" which you read as support and that's really confusing

but what can u do
But that isnt ori, that is ms fortune

Kha'zix looks a bit like Nocturne in that splash art

Many times I've been watching a pro game and mistaken Darkstar Varus for Darkstar Thresh. I think the designs are really cool, but there's the possibility for some confusion :x

Nowadays you can just start watching the anime, start from the first season. The first Part (first 9 episodes) can be a bit slow, but once Part 2 starts it gets great.

If you prefer reading the manga it's all out there as well.

Imo Part 1 is all killer no filler. Especially the first couple episodes are just bonkers. I haven't read jojo part 1 so I don't know how the pacing compares to the manga, though.

Leezard

Many times I've been watching a pro game and mistaken Darkstar Varus for Darkstar Thresh. I think the designs are really cool, but there's the possibility for some confusion :x

Imo Part 1 is all killer no filler. Especially the first couple episodes are just bonkers. I haven't read jojo part 1 so I don't know how the pacing compares to the manga, though.

Part 1 anime is better than Part 1 manga. They skipped a flashback with hamon training, I can't remember if it was with Zeppeli or Dire/Straits though. It was kinda boring.

Talents

Banned
I hated part 1 of Jojo. The first time I watched it I stopped watching at like episode 6 or something, then I forced myself to try and watch some more and once I got past part 1 it became one of my favourite anime.

drawkcaB

Sejuani's new kit is legit. Late game numbers are overtuned, particularly pretty much every part of her passive(s). Zac will be even more so the best jungling tank. Maokai is garbage.

Part 1 anime is better than Part 1 manga. They skipped a flashback with hamon training, I can't remember if it was with Zeppeli or Dire/Straits though. It was kinda boring.
I think it was with Straits, Zeppeli training is basically just the Jack the Ripper fight. It's been like a decade since I read Phantom Blood lol

Tizoc

Phantom Blood is OK in my book, but I should watch the Eng. dub since I heard it was pretty good.
You just gotta go in for the narm charm.

BTW is the update live or does it go up in like an hour or so?

Top Bottom