• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Gauntlet Legends the Remaster?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I personally preferred Seven Sorrows - it was a lot like the LOTR licensed games EA made back for the PS2.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Hell yeah, such a good arcade game. The cheesyness really grows on you themore you play.

I recently got a copy on the original Xbox. It's worth every penny

00_Zer0

It's really ticking me off at this point. We're getting remasters of games like SpongeBob. Where is my Gauntlet Legends?

Where is my Gauntlet Legends 1Up cabinet?

Where is my $40 port for a game I can buy used for $20?

Just look at this beautiful game.

It is on eBay. Buy a used copy of Dark Legacy, dump the game from the Gamecube or PS2 version, add the HD texture pack, and have at it on the Dolphin or PCSX2 emulator. The cheaper version is the PS2 version. I
would go for that one.

Too bad Atari can't buy all the old Midway properties from WB, because WB is letting all those cool arcade games rot. Hell, Atari was the original owner of some of those Midway properties. It will probably never happen, but if they could license the property from Midway, Nightdive Studios, owned by Atari, could make a killer remaster of Dark Legacy using the Kex engine.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I played the shit out of it in the arcade, and then Dreamcast. I did prefer the arcade version.

Dark Legacy I never played but I think it has all GL content. I would like a remaster with online co-op.

Bridges

I absolutely adored Dark Legacy on Gamecube. I desperately need a port with online co-op. So many fantastic memories playing through it dozens of times with family. I can't believe we never got a true successor to this (the future Gauntlets all seemed very different in scope and content)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Thread title says Legends......video is Dark Legacy.

Warning Found Footage GIF by Eternal Family

I absolutely adored Dark Legacy on Gamecube. I desperately need a port with online co-op. So many fantastic memories playing through it dozens of times with family. I can't believe we never got a true successor to this (the future Gauntlets all seemed very different in scope and content)
I used to play that with my kids on Gamecube. Such a sweet memory. Now they're grown.. :(

mortal

Gold Member
Man, I haven’t thought about Gauntlet games in ages. Used to play a lot of Gauntlet Legends on the PS1 as a kid. Good times.

Where is my $40 port for a game I can buy used for $20?
You beat me to it. Been playing my N64 lately and considered this game.

Nothing beats a port of a 25 year old console port of 26 year old arcade remake of a 35 year old arcade game.

What else should we remake? Montezuma’s Revenge? David’s Mightnight Magic? Choplifter?

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Dark Legacy is basically an expanded version of Gauntlet Legends. The Dreamcast version is a cross between the arcade Legends version and Dark Legacy. It has half and half levels from each I think. All play very similarly, but for whatever reasons critics trashed Dark Legacy by the time it came out. Now I crave these style of pick up and play games and only indie devs seem to be scratching the itch.

bender

What time is it?
Dark Legacy is basically an expanded version of Gauntlet Legends. The Dreamcast version is a cross between the arcade Legends version and Dark Legacy. It has half and half levels from each I think. All play very similarly, but for whatever reasons critics trashed Dark Legacy by the time it came out. Now I crave these style of pick up and play games and only indie devs seem to be scratching the itch.

I played Legends on Dreamcast and Dark Legacy on PS2 and loved them both. Funnily enough, a few years back, I was looking at reviews for Dark Legacy for some reason and was surprised by the somewhat negative reception.

You beat me to it. Been playing my N64 lately and considered this game.

Nothing beats a port of a 25 year old console port of 26 year old arcade remake of a 35 year old arcade game.

What else should we remake? Montezuma’s Revenge? David’s Mightnight Magic? Choplifter?

Considering what has happened to Gauntlet after Dark Legacy (Seven Sorrows, 2014), an overpriced remake doesn't seem so bad. haha

00_Zer0

I played Legends on Dreamcast and Dark Legacy on PS2 and loved them both. Funnily enough, a few years back, I was looking at reviews for Dark Legacy for some reason and was surprised by the somewhat negative reception.

Considering what has happened to Gauntlet after Dark Legacy (Seven Sorrows, 2014), an overpriced remake doesn't seem so bad. haha

Funny thing is, WB sanctioned another game after Seven Sorrows. It's called Gauntlet Slayer Edition. Still available with very positive/mostly positive reviews. Never tried it but characters look way too zoomed out for me. Guess who made that game though, Arrowhead, the same devs responsible for megahit Helldivers 2.

MIw1rRB.png

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Funny thing is, WB sanctioned another game after Seven Sorrows. It's called Gauntlet Slayer Edition. Still available with very positive/mostly positive reviews. Never tried it but characters look way too zoomed out for me. Guess who made that game though, Arrowhead, the same devs responsible for megahit Helldivers 2.

MIw1rRB.png

That's the "2014" I was referencing. I tried it on PSN thanks to PS+...maybe the Steam version is better but I thought it was terrible.

Bigfroth

NES Gauntlet by Tengen was the bomb. The Gauntlet arcade cabinet would be cool to own I love the narrator's voice.

The game was a few years old by the time Dark Legacy came out, and the gaming press is generally critical of things feeling "stale" rather than enjoying them for what they are.

While we're talking about these awesome games, what's the best version of each? I'm assuming Dark Legacy on Gamecube is the best or something, but is that right?

Bridges

I used to play that with my kids on Gamecube. Such a sweet memory. Now they're grown.. :(
My family didn't really play games like I did, but we would always gather together for this one. Sometimes I would come back from school and find that my mom had spent the whole day grinding and was overleveled. Never was able to get her to care about anything else other than Animal Crossing but I'll always remember that

00_Zer0

I thought it was remastered already by arrowhead games (helldivers studio)?

It's basically Arrowheads take on a Gauntlet Reboot. It has nothing to do with Gauntlet Legends, or Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

I never played the game, but this video might give you insight on what the game is like. I posted a link above where you can still buy this on Steam. Not sure if this is available on Series X or PS5.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

The game was a few years old by the time Dark Legacy came out, and the gaming press is generally critical of things feeling "stale" rather than enjoying them for what they are.

While we're talking about these awesome games, what's the best version of each? I'm assuming Dark Legacy on Gamecube is the best or something, but is that right?

I hesitate to do a necrobump, but you can parse through this older thread in here to find out the differences between all the Legends and Dark Legacy versions. Apparently, XBox has the best version and then GameCube comes in second, but only if you have an updated disc version 1.2 from the version 1.0 initially released on GamCube.

Last edited:
Top Bottom