• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help: I Just Can't Get Into Breath of the Wild

Hindl

What's with the "It's ok to not like a game." spam?

The OP laid out pretty clearly why he can't get into the game and it doesn't seem like he inherently dislikes the game itself.
I disagree. They don't like the exploration and the aimlessness and that's pretty much the central appeal of Zelda

FinalAres

So interestingly BOTW was my first open world game (other than GTA). One of my main criticisms was how empty and boring the world felt. Everyone responded like "you crazy!"

So I've since picked up a few other open world games since getting a PS4. As it turns out Zelda is WAY more rammed with content than other open world games...but still pretty empty.

Open world games suck.

phanphare

Banned
I'd keep at it for a bit but if the exploration isn't grabbing you then the game might just not be fore you. that was the main hook for me, the planning out of what I wanted to do and then the inevitable getting sidetracked moment, and then getting sidetracked while being sidetracked, and then coming back around to what I was originally supposed to do, and then realizing it's 3am and I should probably go to sleep.

SummitAve

Banned
Sounds sort of like you've been conditioned by other games to expect more guidance, and when it isn't there explicitly you are left feeling and playing aimlessly. I don't know how you reverse that, especially since you did have a positive experience with the original Zelda, which might be even more aimless. Maybe you're just a overthinking it and need to do whatever comes naturally, and make sure not to think what you might be doing is wrong.

I disagree with people saying just go play something else, as I personally found the game at its most enjoyable when I had an idea of what I was doing and it seems that you don't. Aimlessly messing around finding shrines and fighting enemies is only fun for so long. The story itself isn't all that strong but there's a lot of enjoyment to be had in progressing it, and finding memories is always satisfying. If you've found Kakariko Village, you'll have an idea of where to go to progress the Divine Beast quests. I'd recommend the Zora or Rito ones first. You haven't even scratched the surface of the game tbh.

The OP laid out pretty clearly why he can't get into the game and it doesn't seem like he inherently dislikes the game itself.

How do you "make" someone like a game? I, and many others had a blast from the moment we booted up BOTW. If you're already several hours in and not enjoying it then I don't see how we're going to "convert" the OP.

Neff

it didn't really get truly good for me until around the 15 hour or so mark. It's a very big, complex game which requires lots of your time to get the best out of it. 5 hours really doesn't do the complete experience justice at all.

tebunker

Banned
What does that mean, it highlights everything? Is it something you can just do from a menu??

I was going to say this, but I guess you missed it. From the first sheikah tower you should look around the horizon with your telescope and mark any towers or shrines you see.

Also make your way to kakariko village as marked by the main quest stuff. Do not fight everything you see.

Essentially stick to red bokoblins and any thing weak.

Use the towers as your guides and don't be afraid to just sneak around a lot.

Heading through the Dual Peaks you'll find a stable and may want to get a horse, that will make travel easier/faster.

Once in Kakariko you will get a mission to recover your memories and another to go visit someone who can work on your sheikah slate. Do as much as you can with these. By this point you will be a rolling stone and will invariably have way too much to do.

This is very much a self directed game in that you have to look around and decide where to go. The towers are a great start as they open up the topographic map and allow you to see other points to set markers for.

I was over 20 hours in before I tackled my first divine beast. I went to the Rito village in the northwest for instance. Why? Because you can see the divine beast flying around from almost any tower so it piqued my interest.

Wamb0wneD

I think it'll eventually turn a corner but you aren't alone, I played 3-4 hours (on wii u) and was bored senseless and just didn't feel like playing anymore. I'll return to it some day, but I switched to Persona 5 and had like multiple 12 hour gaming sessions, for me personally its hard to deal with the production values of something like BOTW nowadays after playing stuff like HZD, Persona 5, Call of Duty, etc.
lol

I think I really did myself a disservice by wandering around too far without really doing anything story-wise. I probably need to just warp myself back to the beginning area and 'start over'.
You did yourself a disservice by using a guide for a game about exploration.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I disagree. They don't like the exploration and the aimlessness and that's pretty much the central appeal of Zelda

Yeah pretty much. Im not big on open world games but Zelda hooked me with the freedom to go anywhere anytime, especially the verticality of it.

I spent a good few hours just running around and exploring, theres stuff to do that comes up as you explore: bandit camps, shrines, towers, NPCs, towns and stables, etc.

If you arent into that just follow the waypoints and do the main missions?

The world of BotW begs to be explored but if you arent into that I don't know what to tell you.

Be more creative in your fights. Use stealth. Use objects. Use the environment. Use the runes. Use flurry strikes, use parties, etc.

Alternatively, go somewhere else.

kunonabi

The game really isn't that much like the original LoZ in all honestly. If you don't enjoy what you've been doing than you aren't going to like any of the main story content either since it's actually pretty poor and you've actually been doing the "good" bits

Kamina

Golden Boy
So interestingly BOTW was my first open world game (other than GTA). One of my main criticisms was how empty and boring the world felt. Everyone responded like "you crazy!"

So I've since picked up a few other open world games since getting a PS4. As it turns out Zelda is WAY more rammed with content than other open world games...but still pretty empty.

Open world games suck.
No, open world games are not generally empty. They just dont throw their contents into your face but animate you to explore and find.
-> That's the point after all. "Don't get served, play your own way."
If you are not the exploring type then that's fine, but dont generalize a genre based on the fact that you couldn't find the content you were looking for and didn't enjoy the search itsslf.

Open world games suck.

There's a truly valuable generalization.

To the OP, BotW is full of content. Sometimes that content is finding a small shrine seemingly in the middle of nowhere with a cool puzzle, sometimes its setting a goal for yourself like, "I'm going to climb this mountain so I can get a good view of everything," sometimes it's stumbling across a bizarre creature you've never seen before, sometimes it's finding a secret area. But the gameplay loop is exploration. If an area is too hard, or you're not enjoying it, go somewhere else. If you don't like fighting, generally speaking, you don't have to do it. If you want a core storyline, go do a Divine beast (And if you're struggling to get there, get creative. You have to solve the puzzle of getting there.).

A friend of mine was saying something similar that he hated fighting the bobkins just to get a chest at the end of it, to which both myself and another of my friends said, "Why are you fighting them if you don't enjoy it?" There just aren't that many things in BotW that you have to do. So why force yourself to do something that isn't fun? (I think the fighting is plenty fun, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't like it, and often just go around random fights if I have other goals in mind.) BotW is only as fun as your level of engagement with it. If you want a story spoon-fed to you, that's fine; there are tons of incredibly linear games. Zelda isn't one of those though. If you're not willing to get invested in it, it may be best to find something else.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Because it's clear that if you don't like the things the OP doesn't like about breath of the wild then they just don't like the game.

It's like some one saying "help i can't get into starcraft, i like the story and setting i just don't like base building and managing multiple units and resources."

Starcraft is one of the GOAT RTS games but if you don't like RTS games you're not going to give 2 shits about starcraft.

Ritzboof

threads like this always confuse me. its perfectly fine to not enjoy playing a game

personally, i was captivated by BOTW from the start. how dynamic the game is and the art of procuring all of your equipment from the environment is fascinating to me, and the world is filled to burst with life and stuff that grabs your attention

if you cant get into any of that, thats literally fine

inner-G

Banned
What's your backlog like, OP?
Like dozens/hundreds(?) of games, new and old.

jariw said:
But if you've just left the plateau, I'd suggest :
* Do the main quest line until the first lab (not counting Ganon and the divine beasts). That place will give you some really useful abilities and some good background info if you snoop around.
* As already suggested, turn on the map towers you pass.
* Talk to everyone you meet. Most of them have some info about something, although you might connect the dots much later.

* Skip the divine beast stuff until you get a good grasp on the surroundings.
* Try other approaches than just meele-kill enemies.
* Try to really notice the hidden koroks.
I've been doing a lot of these, maybe it's just not for me. I found a bunch of koroks, then the guy left, and Ive found a bunch more. I got to the
ancient research lab with a small girl or part animal thing inside it?
Idk, it didn't seem to have that much impact on what I have to do.

I think it may just not be my type of open-world game. Maybe I should just play some LttP or ESO instead.

Same here. Recently got a Switch for it and regret the buy.

Its just work playing the game, I'm not having fun with it.

That's my problem too. It feels like a chore to play. And the inventory management is awful. I don't know why ANYONE in the games industry thinks that shuffling around in an inventory screen is compelling gameplay.

I got a little bored with it myself, definitely don't like it as much as other, think the weapon system is the most frustrating part for me.

It's cool to turn on sometimes though and just go exploring, but yeah, I definitely don't agree with the GoTY stuff.

It's good, not great for me. It's ok not to like it.

kunonabi

Like dozens/hundreds(?) of games, new and old.

I've been doing a lot of these, maybe it's just not for me. I found a bunch of koroks, then the guy left, and Ive found a bunch more. I got to the
ancient research lab with a small girl or part animal thing inside it?
Idk, it didn't seem to have that much impact on what I have to do.

I think it may just not be my type of open-world game. Maybe I should just play some LttP or ESO instead.

Are you enjoying the NPCs at all? Despite the side quests being ass they are pretty much the highlight of the game. If they aren't clicking with you then moving on really is your best bet.

Not

Banned
If it's not clicking for you immediately out of all games, OP, this might just not be the game for you. And that's totally fine. Everyone's different.

I'm probably about 5-7 hours or so in, and it has taken me this long to really grasp how the game is played, but after visiting the stable, the first village, and now just getting to the second village to get my slate fixed, it really is starting to become more fun. I do agree that the weapons systems are kinda frustrating due to them breaking so much, but I am assuming that as you progress that gets much better, I hope (fingers crossed)

Eria

I don't usually like open world games but man, botw is amazing. It has flaws but it is still pretty good

Also Zelda Botw is the only zelda game that I liked (tried TP y WW).

Timexy

Neo Member
Dont worry OP I dropped it when I was 10 Hours in.

Most of my opinion of the game is like SupperBunnyHop review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNLMDWZY6_A

I couldn't agree more.

I seized an opportunity to buy a Switch when I was in Canada last month and the best thing so far is playing MK8D with my girlfriend. I'm still playing Zelda from time to time, but on a slower pace than all the other Zeldas and I don't think I'll finish it anytime soon; it feels empty and boring, specially after Horizon.

I'm probably about 5-7 hours or so in, and it has taken me this long to really grasp how the game is played, but after visiting the stable, the first village, and now just getting to the second village to get my slate fixed, it really is starting to become more fun. I do agree that the weapons systems are kinda frustrating due to them breaking so much, but I am assuming that as you progress that gets much better, I hope (fingers crossed)
The weapon breaking does become better once you no longer grow attached to your weapons as you'll be getting more weapons than you know what to do with. Like, from the get go, I just treated them as disposable items as I just kept getting a crap ton of weapons left and right. Same with shields.

BotW clicked for me in about 5 minutes, and I loved it instantly.

If you're struggling to find the fun after 5 hours, it might not be your kind of game.

Hey man if it doesn't click with you, don't try to force it.

But I will say Jeff from Giantbomb had the exact same problem you had but he came around to it after he did a fresh start after finding out how he wanted to go about it in his own way.

conpfreak

Breath of the Wild took like 2 hours to click for me. But when it did, oh boy it was something else. Keep giving a chance. Most of what takes BotW so long to click is learning the cooking and getting better means of traversal.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I was in a similar situation after the great plat and hitting the first two towns.

Once I focused myself in two main things, heading for the beasts vs true wandering and filling out my map via towers, the game clicked better. I could still sorta wander, but if I had a clearer goal it helped enjoy the game.

RedSwirl

The main issue I'm seeing in this thread is one I tend to see in a lot of discussions about open-world games -- what different people consider to be "fulfilling gameplay" or whatever.

The OP's problem seems to be that they don't feel like they're accomplishing anything. Other people seem to think the world feels too "empty" because there isn't something major happening every few minutes. In BOTW in particular, exploration in and of itself is going to be the main gameplay loop most of the time. Being able to climb over that mountain or investigate that cave to fins a shrine, a treasure chest, or some other cool thing pretty much IS the main attraction of the game. Engaging with all the systems to survive the world's various dangers is also supposed to be a main attraction to the game.

There are times when I'll spend maybe an hour in BOTW and get nothing done, but still feel like I enjoyed the time I spent with it. I think those are the real effective open-world games -- the ones where you can enjoy just being in that virtual world. A main issue with a lot of these games, Bethesda games particularly, is that the main story tends to feel vestigial. No one has yet dared to release a AAA open-world game that just doesn't have a main quest or let's you play without the main quest ever bothering you.

0racle

It's an ok game. I beat the main story in about 40 hrs and I will go back, but it does not have it's hooks in me. I played it and completed because it's Zelda. The world is too big and Barron for its own good IMO. They say it's rammed with content, I just don't see it.

Roe

Pretty much agree with this. I enjoy previous Zelda titles more than playing Breath a lot more.

Maybe I haven't given the game the attention it deserves, but I blame it for not engaging me in the first place. The dungeons I ran into are not fun for me and I guess I prefer the puzzle system in games like Majora's Mask.

The tablet idea seems a bit out of place for a Zelda game and the sandbox seems like a bad fit for Zelda imo.

Guess the game isn't for me.

bjork

Here's what you need to do OP:

- Do the Rito area's divine beast
- Put points into stamina, so you can go higher and see more
- Go to Eventide Island, which is a short but cool self-contained thing

I didn't warm up to the game until much later than you are talking about timewise, but those three things were key. Just don't expect things like rain/cooking/the menus/the blood moon to get any better, because they don't.

I think it's a good Zelda game, well made and light years better than Ocarina, but the size of the world hurts it. It's like everything is placed just far enough away that you can run away from fights without walking right into another one, and sometimes that makes things feel super slow. But I finished it, and I think it's worth seeing through at least for the story that's there.

bomblord1

Banned
1. You don't need to blame yourself tastes differ that's fine.

2. If you're having trouble finding enjoyment wandering around set concrete goals for yourself Here's an example, look for a tower on the horizon and decide you are going to get to it no matter what gets in your way. Once you get to that tower from the vantage point of the tower look around and mark something on your map and get to it. You'll always find distractions and interaction along the way.

Alternatively just follow the main story. The game marks where you should go on your map and just drop by the minimum number of shrines that you encounter on your way.

The only thing the game has in common with the first one is doing dungeons out of order, that's it. There is no traditional dungeons or items, it's pretty much an open world game that actually delivers on promises of you being able to go anywhere/it has good gameplay. The main things that are any similar to past Zelda games are that the main dungeons involves helping a tribe(like OOT/MM) and the expansion of certain gameplay elements found in SS(sprinting, climbing, stamina, equipment upgrades, materials).

Basically the reason why people who don't like 3D Zeldas as much like the game is because you can do whatever you want any time rather than following the game's structure. So if you feel that your experience is aimless you can just go somewhere else that's easier if it's too hard, if it's too easy you can go do a divine beast, go in the castle or do one of the more involving sidequests. Early in the game, I think there are things you should do to be sure that the game "clicks":

- Get the camera, basically follow the main quest about memories

- Get a horse

- The closest thing to traditional Zelda items in this game are armor sets. You'd want to explore throughly
the eastern region of Hyrule(not too northeast or south east) to get all of the climber's set, that will help you and save you on stamina meals/potions

- If it bugs you to have an empty map just go for all the towers before doing anything, you may stumble on interesting stuff along the way...

I got utterly hooked by the gameplay within 5 minutes, so it's hard for me to put myself into the OP's shoes and recommend something for them to do. Game's a masterpiece, and it's made it hard for me to get into other games recently.

OP, if things are kicking your ass pretty hard, then you probably want to buy better armor and start cooking stuff or making potions that will boost your defense. Also, upgrade your armor as well.

Are you only upgrading your health, or are you mixing it with stamina as well? Personally, I'd recommend only upgrading health for a while. You can cook food for stamina restoration, so you don't need a bigger stamina wheel to begin.

BizzyBum

I got utterly hooked by the gameplay within 5 minutes, so it's hard for me to put myself into the OP's shoes and recommend something for them to do. Game's a masterpiece.

Came to post this. If you're playing for hours and not feeling it then it's simply not for you. Though I'm not sure how you don't know what to do, you have a guide and there's an in-game journal basically telling you how to advance the main story.

thenameDS

I too can't get into it, game just isn't clicking with me. I still play it at nights in bed at a more casual and slow pace though.

How's BotW inferior to those games in terms of production values, especially something like Persona 5?

I may be alone in this but it really, really bugs me when I I get the shortcut voices by NPCs, sort of like a Peanuts cartoon. Persona 5 had some of it but most of the dialog was fully voiced, and it felt really jarring playing BOTW and immediately getting "Hyah hyah" etc when talking to most NPCs (or monster sounds) in that game. Also visually I had just finished Horizon Zero Dawn and it felt like a huge step down.

I'm sure when I try next time it'll be better but just looking at my stick weapon and the enemy monsters, after massive 4k detailed robot dinosaurs and crazy lairs in HZD it was a jarring change and one I just wasn't feeling. Especially as I daily play Titanfall 2 and BF1 on my PC so the jump in visuals and audio is not trivial. I've also only got the wii u version, not the switch.

EhoaVash

I may be alone in this but it really, really bugs me when I I get the shortcut voices by NPCs, sort of like a Peanuts cartoon. Persona 5 had some of it but most of the dialog was fully voiced, and it felt really jarring playing BOTW and immediately getting "Hyah hyah" etc when talking to most NPCs (or monster sounds) in that game. Also visually I had just finished Horizon Zero Dawn and it felt like a huge step down.

I'm sure when I try next time it'll be better but just looking at my stick weapon and the enemy monsters, after massive 4k detailed robot dinosaurs and crazy lairs in HZD it was a jarring change and one I just wasn't feeling. Especially as I daily play Titanfall 2 and BF1 on my PC so the jump in visuals and audio is not trivial. I've also only got the wii u version, not the switch.

lol funny enough, when I was playing persona 5 for the first time the other day, it was the next game I started after beating BOTW, The first 8 hours were very jarring for me, made me realize wtf why isn't a lot of this stuff interactive lol and my gawd the tutorial/hand holding wtf. Like I'm seeing all these stuff in my surrounding yet, can't really interact with them. so many places yet game just tells me No you can't go here yet, or you can't do this yet. very much a jarring experience after coming off from botw. but its a linear game and it was kinda hard to adjust to after playing zelda.

I'll give you that Persona 5 has more voice acting, and it's better too, but every other aspect in terms of presentation is a huge step down, especially when it comes to visuals and overall polish and refinement, that it kind of made Persona 5 feel a generation behind, such as how you save and how you get a Game Over when the main character dies as opposed to when your entire party is wiped out, and just the overall movement interactivity, and how combat is initiated, it feels very clunky, like I'm playing the 3DS SMT games

Oh yeah, the visuals are obviously far below what you can get on the PS4/PC, that's a given considering the gap in hardware, but I feel like you're still in the beginning area if you're talking about stick weapons and uninteresting areas. It's after the Great Plateau the game opens up to more interesting and varied locations and you get better armor, items, weapons, and shields and have more points of interest to explore

Top Bottom