• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help: I Just Can't Get Into Breath of the Wild

Shaanyboi

Banned
I was thinking shrines instead of towers, my bad. I've done probably half a dozen towers, so I have a good amount of stuff opened up. They really don't give you that many details on what is on the land besides topography though, compared to an Ubisoft game or something

That's the point. They want you to actually find stuff and look at the terrain as opposed to following a map marker and checking off boxes.

Salmonax

Like the shrines I've played so far are fun, and I'm not fighting the controls during those sequences because I'm not fighting anyone. But when combat starts, the game goes to shit. Oh, something broke? LETS GO INTO THE INVENTORY SCREEN. Who the fuck thinks inventory management every five minutes is fun?Who the fuck puts the jump button on X?

It's been addressed, but I think it bears repeating that you can map the jump button to B in the System menu and you can use the d-pad to quick select melee weapons, shields, bows, and arrows.

It's true that the inventory management can be a bit clunky, and I do have trouble going back and forth between BotW and Horizon, but it doesn't have to be as bad as you're describing.

Z3M0G

While I feel the game is one of the greatest video games ever made (truly mind blowing), I must admit it would definitely not be for everyone.

emag

Did part of a divine beast quest yesterday (saved inside Vah Ruto) and I think that's it for me.

I felt burnt out on the 3D Zelda formula after playing through Twilight Princess, but I really enjoyed that game's dungeons. There's nothing in BotW that I've come across that rises to that level, just tedium and clunky controls/camera (I've been playing on the Wii U gamepad, FWIW).

The last straw was probably the Lynel to which I could do negligible damage, despite using up numerous weapons (I realize you're supposed to hide from it, but I hadn't had a single fun combat encounter a dozen (?) hours into the game). I guess that wasn't technically the last straw -- I wanted to see what the divine beast was like, but as a dungeon it doesn't come close to even Wind Waker's worst.

I truly hope we get another classic(2D)-style Legend of Zelda soon.

inner-G

Banned
Sorry to bump it (hasn't really been that long I guess) but I've been plugging away and it's starting to pick up. I'm still dying a lot but it's not that bad. I decided to do one of the beasts and I'm doing stuff with the
Zora people?
The story picked up some so that's making me feel like I'm accomplishing stuff.

There is no industry standard for action adventure games. AC games aren't industry standard. The bolded is just plain wrong.

And lol at the climbing part. Maybe try pressing the jump button while climbing next time. ACs automated climbing is a bore.

-You can map the jump button to B. Mind blowing right?
-LMAO at the bolded, there is a quick menu for weapons, bows, arrows and shields on the digipad. Again, mindblowing stuff.
Might as well tell you you can lock on enemies with ZL.
-Confirm and cancel has been like that on Nintendo consoles since the NES and Zelda is no different. The rest of the industry came after that. Pretending they do this for the sake of being different is just dumb, sorry.

This game is pretty fucking good and your inability to even try all the buttons doesn't make it garbage in the slightest. I need like 2 minutes to adjust to the controls after not playing for a week. Funny how that works. Maybe stick to press forward and one button spam AC games. Seems to be more up your alley.

Lol calm down, dude. You're going to give yourself a heart attack.

Anyway, I ended up playing a bit more at the urge of my son and did encounter some fun stuff but I have to echo that exploration for explorations sake isn't doing it for me. I got the master sword and I haven't felt the urge to go back at all. Two divine beasts down and enough shrines to get the rest of the heart containers down. Everything just feels utterly disconnected. I miss the old dungeon and cool thing at the end of the dungeon game play loop. The shrines and divine beasts just feel like disconnected puzzles there to give you something to do in an empty world.

I think what this game encompasses for some people is a sense of discovery but besides very few instances i encountered I found that discovery kind of hollow and not strong enough to overshadow the horrid controls and the shallow combat. I'm glad it works for some people but if this didn't have Zelda as its title I don't think a lot of people would be giving it the praise it's received. I'm curious how the exploration did it for people when the world feels so incredibly empty.

That's the game and it's completely fine for you not to like it.

I finished it (it took me a while) and even though I loved it, I noticed many shortcomings that many reviewers failed to address while praising it as the second coming of Christ.

The lack of story made it a fun but empty experience. I enjoyed walking around and exploring, I was addicted, but the game runs out of new things to do pretty soon and the combat is shallow and clunky. I wish there was more story and less solve-4-shrines-get-a-heart.

I think it's overrated.
I would give it just a 9. Sorry, not sorry.

So question. You seem to have some of the same issues I've had with the game so why is it still a 9 for you? Is it because when it works it works well? I feel like those moments don't happen enough and if they happened more it would probably be easier to over look some of it's flaws.

Despera

Banned
Sorry to bump it (hasn't really been that long I guess) but I've been plugging away and it's starting to pick up. I'm still dying a lot but it's not that bad. I decided to do one of the beasts and I'm doing stuff with the
Zora people?
Make sure you're being honest with yourself and drop the game if you don't enjoy it. Don't push through just because a lot of people like it and you don't want to be left out.

batrush

I just dropped the game after 15hrs or so. Nothing about the world/exploration, story or combat grabbed me at all. The critic scores are absolutely baffling. Nice display of what the Switch is capable of I guess.

Realeza

Banned
I just dropped the game after 15hrs or so. Nothing about the world/exploration, story or combat grabbed me at all. The critic scores are absolutely baffling. Nice display of what the Switch is capable of I guess.

Have you considered that you might be the one with the problem, not the critics? It's cool; maybe you don't have good taste for games. No need to be downplaying the experience of others.

Despera

Banned
Have you considered that you might be the one with the problem, not the critics? It's cool; maybe you don't have good taste for games. No need to be downplaying the experience of others.
He didn't like the game and so was baffled by the scores.

Point out where he downplays the experience for others.

chicnstu

Neo Member
Even if someone doesn't enjoy something or it doesn't "grab" them, they should still be able to recognize the quality of the product. Saying "I don't like it. Why are the scores so high?" isn't enough.

I don't enjoy the show House of Cards, but I still recognize the great writing, acting, and overall production. So I'm not going to say "How could anyone like this? It deserves at most 6/10". I see why it is loved and do think it deserves the praise.

Rurunaki

Don't worry. You're not the only one. I was enamored with the game when I first started. Then it just fell off. I missed the dungeons and boss battles from the older Zelda games. Someone the shrines, didn't give me that same kind of pay off like what the other past dungeons did. I also missed getting those "key" items from dungeons.

Game is gorgeous and good to see Nintendo going for a different approach. Maybe next time they can mix the new with the old. Open world with more defined dungeons and bosses.

Did part of a divine beast quest yesterday (saved inside Vah Ruto) and I think that's it for me.

I felt burnt out on the 3D Zelda formula after playing through Twilight Princess, but I really enjoyed that game's dungeons. There's nothing in BotW that I've come across that rises to that level, just tedium and clunky controls/camera (I've been playing on the Wii U gamepad, FWIW).

The last straw was probably the Lynel to which I could do negligible damage, despite using up numerous weapons (I realize you're supposed to hide from it, but I hadn't had a single fun combat encounter a dozen (?) hours into the game). I guess that wasn't technically the last straw -- I wanted to see what the divine beast was like, but as a dungeon it doesn't come close to even Wind Waker's worst.

I truly hope we get another classic(2D)-style Legend of Zelda soon.

You're not supposed to be able to defeat a lynel if you haven't defeated more than 1 divine beast yet. Especially if you're weapons are below 30 attack.

Agree on the divine beasts. Not the best substitute for dungeons. Actually like the shrines and some shrine quests more than them.

Oh this is an old post. My bad.

kiuo

Zora people?

Yeah the game was extremely slow for me too in the beginning, seriously felt like dropping it because I went on for hours with no story. But once it picks up abit and you start finding things to do, it gets a lot better. Though tbh there are still many times I still feel aimless and loss after I finish a main story, sidequest, or exploration. Like you finished a goal you set but afterwards you don't wanna do anything for awhile.

Also really hate how your weapons break all the time. It makes me not want to use any of my stronger weapons at all in battles, especially with the weak jellies and goblin looking monsters. So, I've been exploiting the infinite bombs to kill most of the monsters I come across now.

Kuro

I actually enjoyed the game a lot more in the first 20 hours until the repetition set in and lack of meaningful story or content.

Muffdraul

I felt that way during the first few hours of the game. It just felt like this empty, lonely, vapid, unsettling, unfun experience. Lacking virtually everything I look for in a Zelda game. And it annoyed me that there was no proper cooking tutorial. I was pretty sure cooking a meal was the key to moving forward and reaching the 4th and final shrine in the first area, but being the anal retentive freak I am, I didn't want to just try and figure it out for myself, I wanted to find the tutorial that I assumed must be around there somewhere. So I went in circles for a while. Then I said "You know what, fuck you Breath of the Wild. I just spent almost two weeks playing Horizon and I already platinumed it, but hey, that game knew how to have fun. So I'm-a play that again, instead of you boring my ass off." So I went back and started a new game of Horizon and beat it again. Then I went back to Zelda and started all over. And this time I didn't fart around looking for the cooking tutorial, I just went into the menus and figured it out. It was easy. And it felt good knowing that the game trusted me to be able to figure it out. Suddenly I had a different attitude, and by the time I finally reached the first proper town, I had a whole new outlook on the entire game. That was when I really got into it. I ended up putting over 250 hours into the Wii U version, then I took a break for a while... until about a couple weeks later I finally scored a Switch. Then I put about another 150 hours into BotW. Unfortunately I burnt out after doing pretty much everything there is to do in the Switch version... except defeat Ganon.

Om3ga

It took me to the 3rd divine beast for me to get to the point where you are OP. I just realized I wasn't enjoying it and stopped playing. This is the first Zelda game I've played and have not completed. I am also okay with it.

I loved SS, TP, and WW, it's just BotW doesn't do anything for me and I really hate open world games. I tried to like it, but eh...

If you put 5 hours into a game and you don't like it, stop.

You're not supposed to be able to defeat a lynel if you haven't defeated more than 1 divine beast yet. Especially if you're weapons are below 30 attack.

Agree on the divine beasts. Not the best substitute for dungeons. Actually like the shrines and some shrine quests more than them.

Oh this is an old post. My bad.

Lynel's a freaking tough, even after more than 50hrs plus 1 Devine beast done, I get my arse kicked. My current weapons are not the best I must admit. But Lynels are WAY tougher than anything I've encountered including Devine Beasts in BOTW.

Top Bottom