• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help: I Just Can't Get Into Breath of the Wild

What does that mean, it highlights everything? Is it something you can just do from a menu??

No, you have to climb to the top of each of the (15? I think?) towers in order to activate them, which then shows you the topography of each region. It makes exploring a lot easier.

What does that mean, it highlights everything? Is it something you can just do from a menu??
It just gives you the general topography and names of the various areas but it doesn't tell you anything else, like villages or shrines or quests, that falls on to you. They're activated by finding them scattered across the world and are usually insanely tall, allowing you to see them from a far distance

Raven117

OP, can't say I blame you. It didn't click with me right away.

I went back to Horizon and finished it up. Then played Neir, now Im on to Persona 5.

I will go back to Zelda as its slow pace requires you to settle in and not pick it up for 20 minutes then put it back down.

When I have devoted more time to it, I have liked it.

I know there is the Zelda defense force out in droves, but really....the game doesn't do anything remarkably different than what we have already seen in other games. (especially Far Cry...strangely enough...)

Jawmuncher

No youll need to find them (or use a map online). When you stand on top of a tower you can see the others from a distance. Mark them and go to them. Having the full map before you really start getting into stuff imo helps a lot.

sanstesy

What's with the "It's ok to not like a game." spam?

The OP laid out pretty clearly why he can't get into the game and it doesn't seem like he inherently dislikes the game itself.

If you want some direction, you should have a mission that points to the
East and a bit to the South. That's Kakariko village. You will find a shop where you can buy better armor, and an important character that will give you some story

Just start from the plateau and go to the
East like in Zelda 1
. You should find a path without too many enemies.

Don't give up just yet.

Ellite25

Personally I don't understand the praise for the game and I'm with you OP. The story and combat are subpar. The exploration of both the map and the cool stuff you ca do can be fun, but that's about the only things the game has going for it. Horizon was better that Zelda in every department aside for the complete openness to how you interact with the world.

inner-G

Banned
you are trolling right? i mean. right?? you cant be this clueless

I was thinking shrines instead of towers, my bad. I've done probably half a dozen towers, so I have a good amount of stuff opened up. They really don't give you that many details on what is on the land besides topography though, compared to an Ubisoft game or something

Stick to the story until you've done two of the main dungeons. If you still dislike it after that, then it's not for you.
Are divine beasts in the dungeons, or are they separate?

Quonny

What's with the "It's ok to not like a game." spam?

The OP laid out pretty clearly why he can't get into the game and it doesn't seem like he inherently dislikes the game itself.

Well, I'm not sure what else there is to say. He doesn't like it. He lists reasons. He wants to like it, but is struggling.

Sometimes you just have to move on. Forcing yourself to like something that doesn't click with you is just a waste of time. This isn't some "I've played Dark Souls for 20 minutes and I'm not enjoying the gameplay so far" thing. This is five hours into a game, experiencing what it has to offer and seeing the loop of the gameplay, and not enjoying yourself.

I was thinking shrines instead of towers, my bad. I've done probably half a dozen towers, so I have a good amount of stuff opened up. They really don't give you that many details on what is on the land besides topography though, compared to an Ubisoft game or something

Right, that's why you've got a telescope through which you can mark things you find interesting.

killatopak

If you're having fun with the game cycle of fighting and exploring and such then by all means continue to play as there's much more to it.

If not then just drop the game entirely as every other aspect is mediocre IMO. Story is bare bones, music is non existent and the item management is a chore.

I pushed through playing it since it's the only big game on the switch when I bought it. I honestly had more fun playing Snake Pass.

bionic77

If you are not into the game by 7-10 hours in then I would say it is not for you.

You are supposed to get your ass kicked in at the beginning of the game. That is how the game is designed. You are supposed to think of creative solutions to get around or through those obstacles. That is true for a long time in the game until you start getting more powerful with more hearts, better clothes, better weapons and with some of the special powers (they really make the game a lot easier).

It is also supposed to be hard to get places. You start out as a weakling and for me that was the most fun part of the game for me. If you are not having fun like others have said there is nothing wrong with that.

ghibli99

Yeah, like others have said, if you prioritize the unlocking of towers (and thus Hyrule's topography), it makes for a much more focused and interesting experience. Points of interest and visual hints will help guide you where you want to go instead of just wandering blindly. Almost all the towers are visible from high vantage points, so marking and getting to them isn't very difficult, and you'll likely run into a bunch of stuff to distract and entertain you on the way.

Edit: A half-dozen towers unlocked already at 7 hours? Damn. I'm on my second playthrough, about 10 hours in, and I haven't unlocked any beyond the first one yet. LOL Interesting how differently everyone plays this game. :)

aBarreras

ooh cool, well for having played only 5 or 6 hours you are fairly advanced. o.o

i had like 5 hours and havent even left the plateau lol

Not every game is for everyone. I also didn't enjoy my time with BoTW and Nier Automata, doesn't mean the games were bad they just weren't for me.

Mattenth

I would try to do one of the Divine Beast areas if you can. The Zora area I think is the one most people do first.

I was in a similar spot as the OP. I really couldn't get into the game. Breath of the Wild's pacing is just awful, and combat really wasn't that fun.

But I agree with this quote. I found a lot of fun in the main story with the Divine Beasts and memories. Try pushing to the first Beast and see if your feelings change.

Also recommend starting with Zora.

aBarreras

I was in a similar spot as the OP. I really couldn't get into the game. Breath of the Wild's pacing is just awful, and combat really wasn't that fun.

But I agree with this quote. I found a lot of fun in the main story with the Divine Beasts and memories. Try pushing to the first Beast and see if your feelings change.

Also recommend starting with Zora.

what pacing? lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think my biggest issue with BOTW was that while the many different overarching systems that governed the game were very fleshed out and worked together very well with each other to make a lot of great unexpected events and intuitive actions, a lot of the moment to moment gameplay left me rather unimpressed. The combat was incredibly flexible but I often avoided a lot of enemies after a while or just used the easiest fastest manner to clear them out to just move on. The climbing was incredibly freeform and allowed for great exploration but the actual climbing action never did anything for me and felt very tedious hours into the game. I'm pretty weird with sandbox games though, I appreciate what a lot of them attempt to do and pull off but I don't find many that fun to actually play.

sanstesy

Well, I'm not sure what else there is to say.

He doesn't like it. He lists reasons. He wants to like it, but is struggling.

Sometimes you just have to move on. Forcing yourself to like something that doesn't click with you is just a waste of time.

What? He doesn't just say he doesn't like it and the reasons make that clear. He seems more lost in what to do and that the game is too difficult for him in some respects. I think there is a lot you can give tips on instead of posting that he should just move on.

FinalAres

I am the same. When I see the beautiful world, it doesn't make me want to explore, it makes me want to go outside for a walk.

One thing that helped is that I got a map of all the korok seeds and then marked them every time I got to a new region. It gave me objectives and a reason to explore. Even then I haven't played in a week, but it at least makes the game fun.

Ogodei

The game's going to kick your ass early on. Doing the Zora or Goron Divine Beasts first gives you tools that help ameliorate that.

Mesoian

Hey y'all, I'm not even sure where to begin.

I loved The original Zelda and liked Link to the Past, but haven't really dug other 3D Zeldas. This game was billed as a return to form of the first Zelda, but it doesn't really feel like it to me.

Was excited for Switch/BotW and managed to actually get one a couple weeks after launch.

So far, I'm maybe 5 hours into Zelda, but I feel like I still haven't done anything. I just wander around and beat stuff up with whatever weapons I find. I've done some shrines and have like 6 hearts, but the 'moon' thing has happened a few times and now basically everything is kicking my ass.
I tried going to one of the 'divine beast' missions, but they are far away and stuff kicks my ass before I can get there.

I haven't done much to progress the story, and honestly, I'm not really even sure what to do. I've been to several villages and found
a labyrinth
, but just poked around and haven't finished much. have the guide but that hasn't been very helpful either because it jumps all over and the game isn't linear. Also, the recipes are stupid. No list or book of recipes? What??

For some reason, I just wish the story worked more like an Elder Scrolls game or something, that way 'feels' better to me or makes more sense or something. Any advice? Should I just give it up and move on to something else or do you think I will eventually turn a corner if I stick with it?
Or maybe I'm just falling out of love with games

Pick a landmark and go. You're waiting for the game to raise a flag to tell you where to go so you're going in circles. You don't need to wait, you just need to go. There will be plenty to do along the way.

ksamedi

The goal is to beat Ganon. Now you probably wont be able to beat ganon right away, you need to get stronger. Thats where the game sets you free and and lets you explore the world to get stronger. The divine beast have good rewards to them, so just do those. Start off with Zoras domain. You will have cutscenes and stuff to see. You can also chase down memories later on where the story unfolds even further.

It's ok, if you're not into it, you're not into it. This happens to all of us from time to time, a beloved game may just not click with you and that's perfectly fine.

If you're looking for a bit more direction, look to your adventure log.
Personally I'd go the divine beast route, going for the map marker to the northeast from Kakariko village. That will get you started on the right path.

Additionally you might look into youtube for some guides on early game options to get some nice gear/weapons that will help you early on so you're not getting wrecked quite so often.

Alternatively you might just set the game down and do something else.
If you're looking for other games there have been a lot of great releases recently that might better suit you and should you come back to BotW you might find it clicks with you then.

ianpm31

I must say after playing Zelda IMO I just don't think this game should be a 97 metacritic. Still a great game but the game loop is nothing but shrines and towers with a dab of exploration. Lack of dungeons sticks out like a sore thumb too. Great game but it just reinforces my opinion that every new zelda that releases is the new "greatest game" from critics.

Jolkien

Same boat as OP but much farther in the game, I'm at 100 shrines completed and 1 more divine beast to go and it just doesn't hold my attention anymore, I need to go back and finish it but I don't get the critical acclaim, it's a well made good game, but it stops there, for me. Haven't touched it in a month.

I really hate the durability and the crap tier reward for pretty much doing anything in-game, dated visual doesn't help but I try to play mainly in handheld mode, docked it looks really rough, art direction is great though some of the weapons are really well made.

jariw

Did you really miss what the old man told you at the great plateau? ;-)

Anyhow, after 5 hours I don't think I was anywhere near leaving the plateau.

But if you've just left the plateau, I'd suggest :
* Do the main quest line until the first lab (not counting Ganon and the divine beasts). That place will give you some really useful abilities and some good background info if you snoop around.
* As already suggested, turn on the map towers you pass.
* Talk to everyone you meet. Most of them have some info about something, although you might connect the dots much later.
* Skip the divine beast stuff until you get a good grasp on the surroundings.
* Try other approaches than just meele-kill enemies.
* Try to really notice the hidden koroks.

I must say after playing Zelda IMO I just don't think this game should be a 97 metacritic.

Yeah, it really should be a 98 MC. ;-)

aBarreras

I must say after playing Zelda IMO I just don't think this game should be a 97 metacritic. Still a great game but the game loop is nothing but shrines and towers with a dab of exploration. Lack of dungeons sticks out like a sore thumb too. Great game but it just reinforces my opinion that every new zelda that releases is the new "greatest game" from critics.

there is no loop, you can do whatever you want whenever you want (Except when is raining)

also, just a dab of exploration? really?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Have issues with the game myself(and bounced off after 12 hours) but confused at the OP calling out the lagging sense of direction?

The quest journal very clearly guides you through the core throughline of the game, from village to village and directly to the four guardians in the early hours. Not really certain what exactly his complaint is there.

Are divine beasts in the dungeons, or are they separate?

The Divine Beasts are the dungeons.

Doing two of them will make the game more grounded, as the story will progress and the game will feel more guided and traditional this way. If you like doing that, then maybe stick to the main story and finish the game. You don't need to do every shrine.

If you still don't like it, then you can move on.

Fredrik

ooh cool, well for having played only 5 or 6 hours you are fairly advanced. o.o

i had like 5 hours and havent even left the plateau lol
haha yeah me too, there is just so much to do and play around with, I think I'm at 80 hours now with just one divine beast completed lol

brad-t

I think I really did myself a disservice by wandering around too far without really doing anything story-wise. I probably need to just warp myself back to the beginning area and 'start over'.

I mean, there's not a ton to the story content — the bulk of the game is the act of exploring Hyrule itself, oftentimes aimlessly. There's nothing "wrong" with the way you're playing and going back to the Great Plateau won't really help. If you're not enjoying the act of exploring the world itself, the game is unlikely to gel with you, I think.

FinalAres

Same boat as OP but much farther in the game, I'm at 100 shrines completed and 1 more divine beast to go and it just doesn't hold my attention anymore, I need to go back and finish it but I don't get the critical acclaim, it's a well made good game, but it stops there, for me. Haven't touched it in a month.

I've been on this soapbox since launch. Not the anti-Zelda soapbox as you may think. The 'give it time before you spout hyperbole' soapbox.

It is far too soon to be talking about how this is the 'greatest game of all time'. It might be that 6 months later it'll still be seen as one of the top 10 games ever, but you just don't know that till the hype has died down. There's already a lot of people emerging who don't 'get' BOTW, and there's a good chance that in time BOTWs reception will change. Of course there's also a good chance it wont, and it'll hold on to its acclaim. If it does, then standing ovations all round.

I understand your feelings; I was playing and thought nothing was exceptonal, however the game really opens up when you can get better gear after exploration. The other day I went Hyrule Castle and it was a blast sneaking around while be grossly under equipped and unprepared. So I say stick with it. In fact, now I feel like picking up where I left off.

Check out the desert, it's the first area I've been too after leaving the plateau and I'm having a blast
currently on stealth section

That's actually where I want to go next. I suppose that's also a very good thing: setting goals and destinations for yourself.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I dropped it, besides fighting a lynel, the game was just not satisfying to play at all. "Oh boy another chest to get a sword so I can play inventory management and figure out which one to throw away first". No thanks.

spelen

I would argue the entire world is one big dungeon. Also I disagree with your game loop theory I have a friend who basically only attempts shrines directly in his path instead he focuses on story and using powerfully armor to forge ahead. In other words, for the most part the game loop is how you want it to be

Check out the desert, it's the first area I've been too after leaving the plateau and I'm having a blast
currently on stealth section

Irnbru

I dropped it, besides fighting a lynel, the game was just not satisfying to play at all. "Oh boy another chest to get a sword so I can play inventory management and figure out which one to throw away first". No thanks.

This is me, just feels half baked most of the time.

conman

The game is very amorphous in the opening hours. It shares a lot with Morrowind in that sense. I totally get what you're saying, OP, and I felt a bit of the same way. But once you get a sense for the rhythm of the game, it will click into place.

Right now, there is no clear goal either in terms of story or gameplay, but those will eventually come. But it does unfold slowly. Use the opening hours to do something basic like unlock a couple of towers. Track down a couple shrines. Take on a few enemy forts.

And, yes, the game is difficult. If you're getting your ass kicked, that's normal. Even when I finished the game and had 18 hearts, I was still getting killed. It's not an easy game. But you learn, much like a Souls game, what your limits are.

tl;dr: be patient.

There is a certain hollowness to the game overall IMO. I loved my time with it, but eventually the feeling of discovery will run dry. Oddly it sounds like the feeling of discovery hasn't really be there for you at all, which kind of makes sense given the largely barren land but there IS some cool stuff well worth stumbling on. If you've not found anything to wow you it might be best to move on.

Top Bottom