• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most important Rock album of the last decade?

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm throwing my vote in for Arcade Fire - The Suburbs, although my personal favourite is Titus Andronicus - The Monitor.

jstripes

Banned
It's probably too early to say what the most important album of the last decade is. We still have to see what kind of sounds emerge from this decade, and what they were influenced by.
That said, probably:
Arcade Fire - Suburbs
Arcade_Fire_-_The_Suburbs.jpg

This basically came from nowhere (in a manner of speaking) and just blew up
It's still weird for me seeing people say The Suburbs "came from nowhere", because Arcade Fire was already a headlining act in Canada at the time. After the Grammy win, with Americans confusedly tweeting out "Who are The Suburbs? I've never heard of them." we were all like "Bruh."

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
What I think Rock is missing at the moment, at least from where I'm standing, is energy. Has anything come out in the last decade that has the energy of, say, At The Drive-In's Relationship of Command? If there has, I want to hear it!

Influenced a scene, movement or approach to the genre I guess.

Ah, okay. Are scenes still a thing? I thought the internet (all but) killed them off.

So

Deafheaven_-_Sunbather_2013.png

because it pissed off a lot of crusty metalheads who hate change

Is that very influential? I'd be quite happy if it was; the title song sounds like someone shouting over Boris/MBV. :D

EVO

Any of Tame Impala's albums really, take your pick. But probably Lonerism. Singlehandedly brought psych rock back into the mainstream, influenced a wave of other artists and made them headliners at all the top festivals.

you guys can continue to ignore it but my chemical romance and fall out boy put out some great albums in the past ten years. danger days, conventional weapons, and save rock & roll are all really good.

is the Gerard way solo album worth listening to?
You are not wrong. I love MCR.

The Gerard Way album is worth a listen. I didn't get hooked so much but it enjoyed it.

ryseing

you guys can continue to ignore it but my chemical romance and fall out boy put out some great albums in the past ten years. danger days, conventional weapons, and save rock & roll are all really good.

is the Gerard way solo album worth listening to?

Danger Days is a helluva concept album.

I thought Way's solo was OK. There are a couple of decent singles.

No idea what the answer is, but thanks to the OP anyway. You started a multi-hour conversation in the mod chat on the issue that resulted in many amazing links and great memories.

GG

also blamed spaces post of Fucked Up reminded me of a song i heard as a kid. something bout a drunk irishmen, use of the word donkey? I was thinkin great big sea but that aint it.

El Camino has three songs i like, tracks 1,3,and 11. but i understand how much El camino and brothers songs did for the rock scene.

Jack Whites Lazerreto is GOAT too now that i think about it

havent listened to much arcade fire, but that album from like 2013 sounds a lot like bowie to me

Could probably be doing with a definition of "important" so this doesn't just turn into "my favourite" list, though that ship may already have sailed.

Large influence seen throughout their peers music. So like Turn Blue and Tell me Im Pretty to me seem influenced by AM.

others things like doing something new. In Rainbows is a good example for its distribution method. MUSE to me did the wub wub rock better than most with that album with the rainbow tree thing (I saw that live, good shit).

Id also count albums that will have historical significance like Blackstar or Led Zeps live album.

jdstorm

Banned
If we are going with mainstream albums that transend Genre then One of the Boys - Katy Perry has to be in the conversation. Sure its pop rock but it was a genuinely great album with a unique voice that essentially was a mainstream version of what the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Ting Tings were doing under the radar.

It was also the breakout album of one of the biggest muscians of the decade.

Wow, it's harder to choose than i thought. In the sense that i can't come up with any that really deserves that title.

In Rainbows is a great album but nowhere nearly as influential as Ok computer was.

Maybe a rap-album?

quickwhips

As someone who's seen against me! many times in the early 00's, they've been trash since 2004.

Well that is your opinion. But that album is definitely an important album for the last decade. Its way different than anything then Laura has done before IMHO. I didn't like it much at first because it was alot different but now I really dig it and I hope we get more of it. I've seen against me like 4 times unfortunately I didn't know about them when they first started out but I really like all their albums.

Oh yeah, Sunbather is a really good choice. Not anywhere close to inventing shoegazey black metal, but the album that pushed its way outside of its relatively insular scene.

RDreamer

In Rainbows is a great album but nowhere nearly as influential as Ok computer was.

I think the way In Rainbows was released influenced a lot actually.

I think that's probably why it takes the crown. Itr really ushered the way for unconventional releases that are much more of a norm for rock music as a whole now that the mainstream has moved on a bit.

Gonna throw out Charlatan's Web by Bobaflex, though not for its music. I mean, it's a good hard rock/metal album, but it doesn't define any genres or build upon anything that doesn't already exist.

But it was the first album the band put out without a record label, and it did them really well. They've since put out another sans record label and will drop a third this year.

Basically, it's proof that with hard work, good music, and being awesome to your fans, that bands don't need record labels to make it anymore. Or get radio play.

They're a pretty big name staple in my area of the Midwest.

I have no idea

Metric -Fantasies was pretty awesome

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations was 11 years ago

I still mostly listen to stuff I grew up with in the 90's anyway

Neith

Banned
Man, most of these nominations point to the fact that rock has been fairly terrible in the last decade.

I guess something by Arcade Fire? IDK. 2007+ does not really have much going for it, at least not in the legendary tier. That people nominate In Rainbows is highly concerning. That's like my 4th or 5th favorite Radiohead album lol.

Blueingreen

GOAT
qotsa_likeclockwork_redandblue.jpg

Despite not doing anything new, as far as I'm concerned it was a massive breath of fresh air in 2013 as far as mainstream Rock Albums go. And is still one of the most consistent listens in that field released

Influenced a scene, movement or approach to the genre I guess.

So

Deafheaven_-_Sunbather_2013.png

because it pissed off a lot of crusty metalheads who hate change

It got mainstream music publications not only to review a metal album but to give it a glowing review, I'll put it in them in the same category as group like death grips in which they're not quite punk but not quite rap, Deafheaven weren't quite black metal but weren't quite shoegaze either but that's a quality in itself.

Every time I think of a great album, I realize they came out in 2005. That was a great year for rock music.

I'll contribute Alter Bridge - Blackbird (2007)

hqdefault.jpg

And Dream Theater - Greatest Hit (And 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs) (2008)

184791.jpg

AaronB

Most of the rock I like is decades old, so my personal pick would be "None." Yep, I'm getting up there.

That said, I liked Hinder's "Extreme Behavior", but that misses the cutoff. Imagine Dragons' "Night Visions" probably gets my vote, even though "Radioactive" got played so much at that one E3 that I'm sick of the song.

Great thread. I've been listening to different recommended artists for a good portion of the day and adding ones I like to my library. I will say that, unfortunately, there are a couple in here where I just can't get past the singer's voice not doing it for me. As much as I like Tame Impala's sound, the singer just hits me the wrong way. Kinda bummed about it actually, because the rest of the band is hitting it.

Thanks for the Clutch recommendation. Love that band, didn't realize Earth Rocker existed. Great stuff from Black Keys, Circa Survive, The xx, Vampire Weekend and several others.

When I think about influence or importance, I actually stretch things back about 15 years, to Evanescence. While it doesn't fit OP's criteria, I think Amy Lee really opened up the genre for other female artists. I just added In This Moment's new album Ritual to my library yesterday and am enjoying quite a few of the tracks. DOROTHY and Pretty Reckless are two other female-led bands that likely chart their existence--to some extent--to the success of Evanescence.

And of course the Queen of Modern Rock herself, Lzzy Hale, and Halestorm, have come a long way.

If I was to name anyone else, it would be Rise Against, one of my favorite bands. They are called a punk rock band, but they mix styles frequently, and they have quite a few songs with powerful messages. From 2008's Appeal to Reason to their recently released Wolves, they are consistently powerful, lyrically on point and a constant on my playlists.

They were recently in Raleigh ... and I was on a cruise ship that week. So bummed I missed them. :-(

Kevtones

My contribution of great rock records from the past 10 years that I don't think have been mentioned:

Haim - Days Are Gone
Deerhunter - Microcastle
Real Estate - Days
Destroyer - Kaputt (soft rock)
Japandroids - Post-Nothing
Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo' Magellan
The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine
Whitney - Light Upon the Lake
Dungen - Ta Det Lugnt
MITSKI - Puberty 2
Perfume Genius - Too Bright

muse sucks always

Truth.

Menome

Great thread. I've been listening to different recommended artists for a good portion of the day and adding ones I like to my library.

Same here. Partly because despite being nominated as 'Most Important' albums, there's a few cases where I'm thinking: "Who the hell even is this band?"

Always up for discovering good new music though, and I've got a full day of no responsibilities otherwise.

Faddy

Banned
It's probably too early to say what the most important album of the last decade is. We still have to see what kind of sounds emerge from this decade, and what they were influenced by.

It's still weird for me seeing people say The Suburbs "came from nowhere", because Arcade Fire was already a headlining act in Canada at the time. After the Grammy win, with Americans confusedly tweeting out "Who are The Suburbs? I've never heard of them." we were all like "Bruh."

The Suburbs is garbage compared to Funeral and Neon Bible.

For most important I would say Vampire Weekend -Vampire Weekend. Probably not their best album but definitely most important

Or actually depending on how you are categorizing Rock it could be Random Access Memories by Daft Punk.

In Rainbows, NIN's Year Zero was huge for me (that may have been '06 though?), QOTSA's ...Like Clockwork as well.

I also really enjoyed HEALTH's Death Magic album.

Plus Bowie's The Next Day and Blackstar.

If you mean mainstream important though? Not sure. I'm 38 so not as in tune with these hip young bands as I once was.

"In Rainbows" probably takes it for distribution model alone - Announced as ready and released 10 days later, pay what you want putting the task of pricing it on the consumer, no early released versions to press meaning no reviews to change expectations, everyone got to experience it at the same time with the option to purchase other physical versions that came along later - the Discbox (with double vinyl, CD - In Rainbows and a second disc of new songs - and big meaty artbook) and CDs that, themselves, were "make your own" using an existing CD case and stickers provided with the physical version..

Top Bottom