• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sneak peek at US Navy's new $13B aircraft carrier

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
CNN

Gets commissioned tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-OSlb97kOU

Norfolk, Virginia (CNN)Perched 50 feet above the USS Gerald Ford's massive flight deck, Petty Officer 1st Class Jose Triana has a clear view of the horizon from his padded captain's chair in the pilot house of the world's most advanced aircraft carrier.

"This ship can basically drive itself," Triana said, pointing to a touch-screen navigation display that has replaced the traditional throttle system used to power and steer the US Navy's older carrier classes.

The one-of-a-kind control system is just one of many state-of-the-art upgrades aboard the $13 billion USS Gerald Ford that will be commissioned into active duty on July 22 after eight years of construction, development and testing.

As the first new carrier design in 40 years, the 1,100-foot Ford incorporates advanced technology and operational systems that will allow aircraft take off and land more quickly, a smaller crew and improved survivability against projected threats, according to the Navy.

"One primary difference is the crew composition," said the ship's executive officer, Capt. Brent Gaut. "We've worked a great deal to automize a lot of what we do," he said, highlighting that the Ford maintains a crew of 2,600 sailors -- 600 fewer than its predecessors in the Nimitz-class.

The Navy has operated 10 carriers since the retirement of the USS Enterprise in 2012 -- one fewer than the 11 carrier-force mandated by Congress in 2011. The Navy was granted a waiver as it waited for the USS Gerald Ford to be completed. The next carrier in the Ford class, the USS John F. Kennedy (CVN 79), is scheduled to launch in 2020. That ship was 50% complete as of July. The third Ford-class carrier, the USS Enterprise (CVN 80), is set to begin construction in 2018.

After the Ford's commissioning on July 22, the Ford will undergo months of additional testing to correct any remaining deficiencies and integrate the 75-plane air wing before its first deployment scheduled for 2020.

https://theaviationist.com/?p=42985

Among a long list of new engineering features on board USS Gerald R. Ford are the controversial electromagnetic catapults and arresting gear, a new, smaller, lower radar cross section island structure, larger and more efficient flight deck facilitating faster aircraft launching, more than twice the electrical power of previous carrier classes and a more efficient crew compliment with 500 fewer personnel on board. The massive 1,106-foot-long carrier displaces a staggering 100,000 tons fully loaded and is powered by two new generation nuclear reactors.

U.S. President Donald Trump has been critical of the costs of the program, especially the new electro-magnetic catapult and arrestor take-off and landing systems. The benefits of the new systems are claimed to be less buffeting of aircraft upon launch resulting in better control and less airframe fatigue per launch and recovery. The electromagnetic catapults are also lighter in weight than steam catapults in use on current U.S. carriers and are claimed to require less maintenance than steam-powered launch and recovery systems.

20170426_Aircraft.jpg

jP2CIiU.jpg

USS-Gerald1.jpg

UK, US and China got new carriers in 2017. None for Russia :'(

Dishwalla

Banned
Crap, they are commissioning that thing tomorrow aren't they? And Trump is gonna be there. Will have to stay far away from the base, can only imagine traffic will be a nightmare. Thanks for the reminder.

The fact that this super advanced ship is only $13 billion makes me really depressed about how much the rest of the military's $700+ billion budget must actually be waste.

Tagyhag

"This ship can basically drive itself," Triana said, pointing to a touch-screen navigation display that has replaced the traditional throttle system used to power and steer the US Navy's older carrier classes.

It's stupid to ask but it must have some sort of manual controls just in case right?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Also not to turn this into a trump thread but lol this part of the article

President Donald Trump reaffirmed his commitment to increasing the Navy's carrier fleet from 11 to 12 ships earlier this year during a speech aboard the USS Gerald Ford but just a few months later directly attacked the Ford's electromagnetic catapult system in an interview with Time magazine.

"It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it's very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out. And I said -- and now they want to buy more aircraft carriers. I said, "What system are you going to be-- "Sir, we're staying with digital." I said, "No you're not. You going to goddamned steam, the digital costs hundreds of millions of dollars more money and it's no good," Trump said.

"Sir, we're staying with digital." I said, "No you're not. You going to goddamned steam.

So is the aircraft propulsion system powered by steam?

Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_Aircraft_Launch_System

That thing is pretty badass.

I wonder if one of those loaded with a full arsenal of top of the line modern fighters could have won the pacific theater solo in WW2.

antonz

Nice to see it finally finished. The new ships are something else as far as tech but that's to be expected when they are the first new ship class in 40 years.

Ugh $13bn and it doesn't even fly or have lasers
It was designed with enough excess power capability etc. to mount laser weapons when they are ready for deployment. :p

Shame, no look at the CIC. I wonder what it looks like. Would love to see an actual picture of the Zumwalts as well.

Edit: Also, I believe the $12 billion includes R&D for the entire class.

Double Edit: Also, Liaoning began its life as a Kuznetsov class Soviet carrier. China has another Kuznetsov like carrier under construction, as well as their own indigenous design I believe. I don't know if their indigenous design is nuclear powered or not, nor do I know its size. Once China gets the basics down, it will not take long for them to start producing carriers in larger numbers.

Jezbollah

This carrier is $13bn, and will be designed to have at least a 40 year life, perhaps more.

That comes down to (without adjusting for inflation) an average cost of $300m per year during its lifetime.

Given what it's replacing, that is a sum a little easier to swallow.

"It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it's very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out. And I said -- and now they want to buy more aircraft carriers. I said, "What system are you going to be-- "Sir, we're staying with digital." I said, "No you're not. You going to goddamned steam, the digital costs hundreds of millions of dollars more money and it's no good," Trump said.

Everytime I read trump text, i have to double and triple check if I accidentally read an onion article. But nope .. it's all real.

The fact that this super advanced ship is only $13 billion makes me really depressed about how much the rest of the military's $700+ billion budget must actually be waste.
The navy is actually more fiscal with its budget compared to the other military departments:

Grafix+Cap+bud.png

The only reason the U.S. Navy budget is increasing is because China and Europe are building up their navy so of course we need to flex our dollars and look bigger! I have no ideas why the Army needed a budget increase in comparison.

Anno

Damn you mean they stayed with the digital plane launching mechanism? Thought we were going to steam.

The navy is actually more fiscal with its budget compared to the other military departments:

Grafix+Cap+bud.png

The only reason the U.S. Navy budget is increasing is because China and Europe are building up their navy so of course we need to flex our dollars and look bigger! I have no ideas why the Army needed a budget increase in comparison.

That's crazy, considering they have a whole department within the department.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Think of all the things we could do with 13 billion outside of wasting it on the military industrial complex. This has happens in the past regardless of who is President. The priorities of the American government make me sick

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Will US naval air ever get enough planes for the air wings for these new carriers though?

Spending all that money on carriers won't be very efficient if it doesn't have the planes to make use of it, given the issues with the F-35, there's no real plan for what will replace the F/A-18 down the road...hell, there was talk a while back on bringing back the old S3 Vikings to the air wings at one point, not just as an elecronics platform but for tanking purposes so that Hornets wouldn't have to be dedicated to tanker duty.

I have no ideas why the Army needed a budget increase in comparison.

It has nothing to do with how much you spend, but what you spend it on. For the past 16 years the United States Armed Forces have been engaged in nearly continual combat. This has degraded the combat readiness of military units as important modernization and replacement initiatives have been delayed or scrapped in order to keep units fighting. On top of that, you have sequestration and the Budget Control Act which have hit the military at a time when it is in dire need of recapitalization.

Frankly, the United States Air Force is flying on average 30+ year old aircraft whose airframes are at, nearing or passed their expected service life. The same goes for the army. So they are in desperate need of new equipment. Further worsening this situation is the modernization of China's military at breakneck pace. We could be as little as a decade away from China surpassing the United States as the dominant military force in the world if the funding and program problems continue as they have.

Think of all the things we could do with 13 billion outside of wasting it on the military industrial complex. This has happens in the past regardless of who is President. The priorities of the American government make me sick

Out of all the things to bitch about, Aircraft Carriers are like the last thing to bitch about in terms of military budget usage.

These things are the backbone of keeping countries in check.

antonz

Shame, no look at the CIC. I wonder what it looks like. Would love to see an actual picture of the Zumwalts as well.

Edit: Also, I believe the $12 billion includes R&D for the entire class.

Double Edit: Also, Liaoning began its life as a Kuznetsov class Soviet carrier. China has another Kuznetsov like carrier under construction, as well as their own indigenous design I believe. I don't know if their indigenous design is nuclear powered or not, nor do I know its size. Once China gets the basics down, it will not take long for them to start producing carriers in larger numbers.

One of the few pictures from the CIC on Zumwalt

Why Gerald Ford? The dude pardoned Nixon.

Naval Officer in WWII. Since Carriers started being named After Presidents and they already named ships for presidents as late as 1990 they want back. Navy would be better served going forward after Enterprise going back to the old carriers of WWII.

I don't think HMS Queen Elizabeth actually enters service till 2020 though.

She's currently on sea trials, and has spent the past week+ in a port five minutes down the road from me (apparently there's a misalignment on the frame around one of the props that has needed resolved). Very impressive bit of kit, and I'm hoping to catch her when she departs.

Top Bottom