• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Wants ‘Goddamned Steam,’ Not Digital Catapults on Aircraft Carriers

So he said cut the digital and go with steam that works. Am I missing something that everyone seems to be falling over themselves to shit on him about?

Yes. Its only that the digital system is faster, requires less maintenance, causes less corrosion, causes less stress to air-frames, and is capable of launching smaller aircraft such as drones. The cost bloat is organizational, not hardware based. Says so in the article.

You know, only the entire point of the upgrade.

Daedardus

I've been reading the technical details that I found on this website. The components seem very ordinary and the design of the system isn't that complex. This shouldn't cost a lot of money (relatively) to produce. I do wonder where all that money was wasted on its design, not saying it is super easy, but it should be doable by a normally experienced engineering team. Saying steam is superior is such an ignorant opinion.

NH Apache

Banned
I've been reading the technical details that I found on this website. The components seem very ordinary and the design of the system isn't that complex. This shouldn't cost a lot of money (relatively) to produce. I do wonder where all that money was wasted on its design, not saying it is super easy, but it should be doable by a normally experienced engineering team. Saying steam is superior is such an ignorant opinion.

Hundreds of millions is inaccurate when discussing this tech. It is incredibly small minded to say a team of engineers can just walk in and do this as there are soooo many facets to the overall system and multiple loops on the design spiral were required for the vessel.

So he said cut the digital and go with steam that works. Am I missing something that everyone seems to be falling over themselves to shit on him about?

Well for one we're mocking him because he's calling it "digital" instead of "electromagnetic".

Secondly, the "digital" one is factually superior, and the work has already been done. It's ready to go. And his objection is based on absolutely nothing other than his complete misunderstanding.

Madness

$11B for one new ship. The messed up priorities in this country are astounding sometimes.

That new ship will be the most powerful warship in the world. Whether the cost is justified is irrelevant if the goal is to build a new generation of supercarriers. Trump would handicap such an expensive warship due to his sheer incompetence and senility.

Honestly, the Gerald Ford Class of supercarriers is the one thing I feel truly in awe of about the US military spending. Same goes for the new USS America amphibious assault ships. Will really increase US power projection worldwide. Which is the goal.

Again this is a program decades in the making.

You really miss one of the most obtuse Bernie-or-busters you'll ever meet? Surely for the mental gymnastics that entertained hundreds in the face of hypocritical heel turns, right?
I have plenty of experience being one of those people that's wrong about everything so it was relatable. Also we had a few conversations privately. I've still got her goodbye PM she personally sent me from when she left PoliGAF (and got banned shortly after) :'(

That new ship will be the most powerful warship in the world. Whether the cost is justified is irrelevant if the goal is to build a new generation of supercarriers. Trump would handicap such an expensive warship due to his sheer incompetence and senility.

Honestly, the Gerald Ford Class of supercarriers is the one thing I feel truly in awe of about the US military spending. Same goes for the new USS America amphibious assault ships. Will really increase US power projection worldwide. Which is the goal.

Again this is a program decades in the making.

ah, that explains Compromat trying to purposely ruin it. Employee of the month.

I choose to believe that he's putting on a dog and pony show to try and distract people from the latest round of scandals. I do not want to actually internalize how dumb this man is.

So is it finally confirmed that Trump is a cluelss clown that will not do any major damage to the US politics other that being laughed at 10x as much as Dubya?

I mean what he is saying is Late Night material... and he believes it.

Top Bottom