• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II (PS3/360/PC) - Edge Magazine details (Prepare yourself)

Midou

No, not really. If anything it was less streamlined. The only reason someone would believe that is if they played it knowing what they know from Demon's Souls.

Bonfires are more readily available than stage start points, it's much easier to become human and therefore summon, guaranteed healing items, easier grind spots, over-powered weapons 2 feet from the starting point. I didn't have as much trouble as Flamelurker or False King Allant with any boss in Dark Souls, and it's not just because I'm better, I still have trouble with those bosses when I go back to Demon's Souls.

I prefer Dark Souls, but I still feel it's easier to replay than Demon's Souls.

No item burden. No weird symbols for stats. No world tendency. Respawning crystal lizards. It was streamlined.

Also this, item burden is a big one. Plus having access to all the weapon/armor/repair stuff at a bonfire. And not being able to perma-miss upgrade items..

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds like it is going to be amazing yet again. Not going to have a meltdown just because they want to make certain aspects clearer for people to understand. That does not mean the game itself is going to suddenly have breadcrumb trails and copious amounts of hand-holding. Relax, folks.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
- The new directors, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, are indeed the From Software staff who previously directed the Another Century's Episode series. The decision to have the two directors replace Miyazaki was a company decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai Games to help move the series forward in a fresh direction.

- The game might not make it for 2013.

Seems like a dick move. "You helped make a wildly successful game. It needs a fresh direction so we're removing you from development." This is the only part that worries me a bit as far as new details go.

SJRB

Gold Member
There is a screenshot on EdgeOnline (accessible to everyone) that looks like it's in-engine.
Looks ok, not mind blowing.

Dark-Souls-II-01.jpg

This is straight out of the CGI trailer. If this is what the actual game looks like, this is beyond mindblowing.

Massa

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

- Shibuya says he wants to make the story and messaging less subtle.

This is not looking good.

KissVibes

Banned
- Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

Who wants to bet the game is "pushed back" and "becomes" a next-gen game? MS and Sony must really not want people announcing games for the new systems.

I guess the big concern (for me at least) is the stark difference between Miyazaki's handling of the game exemplified here -

- compared to the new directors and their approach to implementing changes:

As the series moves on without its creator, maybe we won't see the loss so clearly early on, but that lack of deliberate design, or ambition outside of just trying to keep things fresh...

It feels like when Hayao Miyazaki let Goro Miyazaki direct Tales from EarthSea... disaster ;_;

This worries me, as combat was always one of the Souls games strong suits, being very deliberate and well paced. It was already miles ahead of Skyrim and the like. Granted we've seen more combo based combat work in Dragon's Dogma but that's not what I want to see in the Souls games.

He says he has no intention of changing the controls in the article.

Miyazaki wanting to have a bigger role in development and not being able to is really depressing, he has to see his baby fall or rise without him really :(

Grisby

Cool deal, I always wanted a better, less obtuse, story. The atmosphere was usually enough but I couldn't help but want something a bit more.

web01

Kicking Miyazaki to the side so they can dumb down the game. Complete disgrace after the success he made the series.

They even outright admit the business people at From Software and Bandai Namco were behind the move.
No doubt thinking about that Skyrim audience dosh.
Also wouldn't surprise me if there was office politics involved to usurp him.

All the its over jokes might not be far from the truth

Clevinger

This is straight out of the CGI trailer. If this is what the actual game looks like, this is beyond mindblowing.

It's not even close to looking like the CG trailer. It looks like Dark Souls 1 level graphics. Which is fine, I loved the way it looked. I'll do a screen compare in a minute.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Boats as a possible mode of transport but controlling one isn't something they're doing yet.

RIP Wind Waker Souls.

UrbanRats

He might mean that because he mentions elsewhere that he doesn't want to change the controls.

Maybe in one part you are running at the camera mashing the x button, while a GIANT DRAGON chases you breathing flames all over the place!!
Yeah i'm just teasing.

- The new directors, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, are indeed the From Software staff who previously directed the Another Century's Episode series. The decision to have the two directors replace Miyazaki was a company decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai Games to help move the series forward in a fresh direction.

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

- Shibuya says he wants to make things like the Covenant system clearer and more accessible, and he wants to make the story and messaging less subtle.

W
T
F

Midou

Sounds like it is going to be amazing yet again. Not going to have a meltdown just because they want to make certain aspects clearer for people to understand. That does not mean the game itself is going to suddenly have breadcrumb trails and copious amounts of hand-holding. Relax, folks.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. For every point of doom and gloom there is another to explain it farther and make it sound awesome. It's going to be another Dark Souls game with the awesome design style, core combat, world and atmosphere. They constantly mention they know what people loved in the series, and I have faith.

I am all good with joining in the doom and gloom once we have some gameplay videos that shows the game is completely unlike anything from Demon's or Dark Souls. As mentioned above, there were some pretty huge changes in streamlining elements from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls so it is not instantly a bad thing.

wwm0nkey

Do you mean that as in the screen is taken from the CGI or the location? Because that is not from the CGI trailer.

Tomodachi

I'm pretty sure Miyazaki is rather happy to be free to work on a new IP or whatever he wants to work on. I think From and Namco made him a favour. A developer of that calibre usually doesn't want to get stuck with sequels for the rest of his life.
Really reminds me of when Toyama left Konami (who wanted Silent Hill data disks) for Sony.

duckroll

Shibugya comes from Monster Hunter. There are worse games he could have worked on combat wise. Monster Hunter still works on a stamina mechanic like Dark Souls, and the weapons actually have weight to them.

I'd be far more worried if there were Bethesda people working on this.

No he doesn't. People need to stop being confused about that. Shibuya is a From Software director/producer who worked on all the Another Century's Episode crossover mech action games. He never worked on Monster Hunter.

Tomat

No he doesn't. People need to stop being confused about that. Shibuya is a From Software director/producer who worked on all the Another Century's Episode crossover mech action games. He never worked on Monster Hunter.

Well that sucks. Anyone know what the ACE games were like combat wise?

UrbanRats

I'm pretty sure Miyazaki is rather happy to be free to work on a new IP or whatever he wants to work on. I think From and Namco made him a favour. A developer of that calibre usually doesn't want to get stuck with sequels for the rest of his life.
Really reminds me of when Toyama left Konami (who wanted Silent Hill data disks) for Sony.

Well i'm still waiting for another SIREN.

DaBuddaDa

Who wants to bet the game is "pushed back" and "becomes" a next-gen game? MS and Sony must really not want people announcing games for the new systems.

If it looks as good as they're saying and it's not going to make 2013, I think it's pretty safe to say this is going to be for next gen consoles.

duckroll

Well that sucks. Anyone know what the ACE games were like combat wise?

There is nothing in the ACE games which can be remotely compared to the Souls games. They're completely different. Think less polished ZoE style action games with more mechs. The first 3 games were pretty good for mecha anime fans though. ACE:R, which Shibuya directed without Tanimura's involvement, is apparently one of the worst games From Software ever made. I didn't play it though.

Nibel

I don't need a bold fresh direction and I don't need a story if it isn't subtle

I hope that they don't fuck up the gameplay or story of this game. Because that would mean that Durante has a lot more work to do and that we need to wait longer to play it in an acceptable state!

Why? Miyazaki worked on Armored Core before Souls games. Why should an ACE person be necessarily worse?

A game director steeping away from something he's worked on to make something new and interesting to him =/= 2 guys being moved from what they already do to work on something that already exists.

Dresden

A game director steeping away from something he's worked on to make something new and interesting to him =/= 2 guys being moved from what they already do to work on something that already exists.

Don't worry, we'll know by 2020 if this turns into another Silent Hill.

I hope it's Demon's Souls 2.

Would From actually allow him to do something like that? I honestly can't see it. That would kill their Dark Souls 2 hype in a second.

With that said, here's a Shuhei Yoshida quote from this February

We never sell our IPs. Well, I should never say never, but it's not our business. Our business is to grow our IP and we love Demon's Souls. From Software is a very important business partner, so we'll see.

Dark Souls was also his favorite game of 2011.

I'm still optimistic.

Easing the players into it, only to go full out a bit later, could work pretty well. If the beginning parts are designed to really train the player, we could see even more crazy stuff in the end-game than before. And as I have said before, they could have done a better job of explaining the mechanics to the players in-game.

It does sound, however, like they are going with more traditional storytelling. I'm not sure what I think about that, but as long as the gameplay is good, it's not too important.

But I will remain hyped until more conclusive evidence that they are dumbing down the game shows up.

And I'm really excited about Miyazaki's new game.

duckroll

That's what I was looking for, I knew they wouldn't play like the DS series obviously.

I posted about this in the previous thread, but one thing I feel that the ACE games really had, which could be a good thing for Dark Souls 2, is that they have the best sense of real scale I've felt out of all the mech games I've ever played. They did a really amazing job with it, especially considering how they deliberately picked a bunch of different mecha series with a huge range in robot sizes.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

You make it sound forceful as if they had no interest in the project.

Tomat

I posted about this in the previous thread, but one thing I feel that the ACE games really had, which could be a good thing for Dark Souls 2, is that they have the best sense of real scale I've felt out of all the mech games I've ever played. They did a really amazing job with it, especially considering how they deliberately picked a bunch of different mecha series with a huge range in robot sizes.

That actually sounds really cool.

Dresden

I'm still optimistic.

Easing the players into it, only to go full out a bit later, could work pretty well. If the beginning parts are designed to really train the player, we could see even more crazy stuff in the end-game than before. And as I have said before, they could have done a better job of explaining the mechanics to the players in-game.
Well, and Demon's Souls did have a much more traditional style of a tutorial compared to Dark Souls.

duckroll

That actually sounds really cool.

I liked the first 3 ACE games a lot. They improved on each other really well. Each game got better, and they polished up the gameplay and graphics with each entry as well. Hopefully this means that as the lead game designer, Tanimura has a good sense of what works and what doesn't.

GAF you fucking drama queens. Just about everything in the article feels like a natural evolution for a sequel. I'll admit though, throwing the previous director out like that is a bitch move from Namco's part. Buy let's just wait to see more of the game, shall we?

Top Bottom