• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II (PS3/360/PC) - Edge Magazine details (Prepare yourself)

Well, and Demon's Souls did have a much more traditional style of a tutorial compared to Dark Souls.

I feel like Dark Souls prepared you for the rest of the game better than Demon's Souls did. Look, observe, watch out shit will come flying at you down staircases...

I think it sounds fine. Also glad that Miyazaki wants to do something new. Why let him become a Souls machine?

From here

I'm pretty curious about Miyazaki stepping/being forced aside. The PR speak in the Edge article was already present in the interviews linked in post 3082:

"(I): Is there any plans on a sequel? If it is what would be a good title for a sequel?
(P): Hold your horses. I don't know about a sequel but it seems like we can make a new one.
We still need to look at reviews and player feedback including overseas, whats
going on and is there a market for it. I really don't know about a sequel and even
if there is I don't know if I have a chance to work on it cause that's a seperate
issue so I can't talk about it carelessly. Dark Souls is not "mine" and I think it
might need some new "blood" (influence). If there is a sequel it going to be a
brand and it will need its brand power which might need some new "blood". With all
these issues I have no idea. I want to make something
(I): I want it to continue, with Mr. Miyazaki
(P): I want that too but . . . ."

:/

Midou

It doesn't so much sound like he was forced out, but more like he wanted to work on something else but also misses working on Dark Souls.

Jesus Christ, they forcefully booted the guy who created this awesome series in order to take it in a new direction? This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.. (it says he is disappointed to not have a greater role)

I mean, why boot Miyazaki, unless he was basically refusing to do things that he was being told to do? And if there are things in DSII that Miyazaki was refusing, then they are probably things that GAF will not like..

duckroll

I think it sounds fine. Also glad that Miyazaki wants to do something new. Why let him become a Souls machine?

Here's what he's quoted as saying in the Edge article:

"I'm not one to restrict the potential that Dark Souls has by insisting that only I can work on the titles. I want new expressions. It's true that I'm sad about not being involved in the development of Dark Souls II, because I've worked on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls' development for the past five years. I really love those two titles; however, maybe this is the time to have new inspiration, so I'm fine about that. I'm looking forward to playing Dark Souls II not as part of the development team, but with a little bit of distance."

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It doesn't so much sound like he was forced out, but more like he wanted to work on something else but also misses working on Dark Souls.

Exactly and honestly some people are overreacting without seeing things actually working. It might be more streamlined at the beginning but the game might be still challenging and with its secrets. The more story telling its the thing that worries me a bit since that might be forced and poorly done.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Here's what he's quoted as saying in the Edge article:

"I'm not one to restrict the potential that Dark Souls has by insisting that only I can work on the titles. I want new expressions. It's true that I'm sad about not being involved in the development of Dark Souls II, because I've worked on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls' development for the past five years. I really love those two titles; however, maybe this is the time to have new inspiration, so I'm fine about that. I'm looking forward to playing Dark Souls II not as part of the development team, but with a little bit of distance."

*Panic Button Activated*

duckroll

Depends on what you think of this part of the article then:

"It was a company decision," clarifies Namco Bandai producer Takeshi Miyazoe. "Miyazaki worked on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but for the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with [a] brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain the expectations and satisfaction and the rewards that players experience, this was the right time to bring in the new characteristics and taste[s of the directors] for this series to continue on evolving."

"It was a company decision," clarifies Namco Bandai producer Takeshi Miyazoe. "Miyazaki worked on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but for the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with [a] brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain the expectations and satisfaction and the rewards that players experience, this was the right time to bring in the new characteristics and taste[s of the directors] for this series to continue on evolving."

VaderNOOOOOOOO

Sounds like he was forced off and just resigned himself to the fact. Namco see nothing but dollar signs, it's only natural they'd want to pander to a wider audience.

- Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim

- The game is 25% complete, and the team is substantially larger than Dark Souls. The world creation internal staff for the sequel is nearly double that of the first game.

- The game might not make it for 2013.

So, DS2 = next gen title confirmed.

TheExodu5

Banned

That sounds really bad.

I'll give the new director the benefit of the doubt, but this definitely sounds like Namco wants full control of the project.

FACE

Banned

Namco-Bandai killed Baldur's Gate III and now they've kileld Dark Souls.

Hmm, should've stuck with Atlus?

I always wondered why they weren't at least given right of first refusal with Dark Souls. They did an incredible job building a Western "Souls" fanbase with Demon's Souls after Sony dropped the ball, yet Namco got to feast on that swell of hype for the sequel.

$$$ talks I guess, but I feel bad that Namco was so richly rewarded for Atlus' hard work, at least in the States.

Minyobi

I really hope this doesn't become the new game that everyone mercilessly attacks for the next X years.

Unfortunate company decisions aside, I'm not overly bothered by anything I have read.
Not yet, anyway.

BadWolf

Sad to hear that he may have wanted to work on it but wasn't given the chance to.

Regardless, at least he is working on a new project.

Wonder if Sony secured him for another Demon Souls? Vita could sure use it. A new IP would be nice too.

Raxus

I really hope this doesn't become the new game that everyone mercilessly attacks for the next X years.

Unfortunate company decisions aside, I'm not overly bothered by anything I have read.
Not yet, anyway.

There is reason for concern but all the main issues I had with the first game is being addressed. The only thing I didn't like was the story becoming less subtle which usually translates to an NPC explaining everything to you.

Midou

That along with:

"(I): Is there any plans on a sequel? If it is what would be a good title for a sequel?
(P): Hold your horses. I don't know about a sequel but it seems like we can make a new one.
We still need to look at reviews and player feedback including overseas, whats
going on and is there a market for it. I really don't know about a sequel and even
if there is I don't know if I have a chance to work on it cause that's a seperate
issue so I can't talk about it carelessly. Dark Souls is not "mine" and I think it
might need some new "blood" (influence). If there is a sequel it going to be a
brand and it will need its brand power which might need some new "blood". With all
these issues I have no idea. I want to make something
(I): I want it to continue, with Mr. Miyazaki
(P): I want that too but . . . ."

Doesn't really guarantee it one way or the other. He may not be allowed on the project, but whether his last statement is more like "I want that too but I want to go in a new direction" or "I want that too but I'm not allowed". It says it's a company decision to get new directors and move it in a new direction, but it also doesn't sound like "fuck that Miyazaki guy" either. It's all a collection of incomplete statements.

So can anyone think of how they could "increase the action" in Dark Souls 2, without screwing up the finely tuned combat system?

QTEs woo!

Kinect dance battle?

tumblr_m9one3QOd21qe3gjno1_400.gif

duckroll

Doesn't really guarantee it one way or the other. He may not be allowed on the project, but whether his last statement is more like "I want that too but I want to go in a new direction" or "I want that too but I'm not allowed". It says it's a company decision to get new directors and move it in a new direction, but it also doesn't sound like "fuck that Miyazaki guy" either. It's all a collection of incomplete statements.

I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting that they went "fuck that Miyazaki guy" though. Clearly he's still on good terms with the company, or he wouldn't be working on a new project! :)

The Miyazaki news is disheartening, but someone else was eventually going to have to direct a Souls game, so I'm not going to bail based on his absence (although I hope he gets a chance to direct another Souls game down the road).

Of the game details, the thing that worries me most is Shibuya's comment about enhancing the action. I'm not going to say the sky is falling, because enhancing the action could mean any number of things, but it's very important to me that the Souls games are not action titles and combat is more deliberately paced.

Orayn

So can anyone think of how they could "increase the action" in Dark Souls 2, without screwing up the finely tuned combat system?

Make the finely tuned combat system less optional by making it impossible to simply run past so many of the game's enemies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
- Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

so this means it'll run at 10fps?

That along with:

For those who haven't read it, the other interview being referenced is here: http://pastebin.com/hVXqsHvw

I can't speak for the quality of the translation, so there's not much point in me trying to glean information about From's internal dynamics from "I want that too."

Midou

Make the finely tuned combat system less optional by making it impossible to simply run past so many of the game's enemies.

In my rapier build, I could not fight the snakes in Sen's Fortress at all and ran to the bonfire in something like two minutes. Killed the fire thrower very slowly, and summoned Tarkus to fight the boss. Whole dungeon in like 10 minutes..

(I): Next, Plans for the future. Demon's Soul had events like Valentines/White day but how
about dark souls
(P): Dark Souls does not have servers so its diffucult, and it has no tendency. As for
events and services we won't be able to do things like Demon's Souls

Hopefully Dark Souls II has more with the return of servers. There was a lot of freaking potential for awesome events between covenants, if only it was server based.

cj_iwakura

Hmm, should've stuck with Atlus?

I always wondered why they weren't at least given right of first refusal with Dark Souls. They did an incredible job building a Western "Souls" fanbase with Demon's Souls after Sony dropped the ball, yet Namco got to feast on that swell of hype for the sequel.

$$$ talks I guess, but I feel bad that Namco was so richly rewarded for Atlus' hard work, at least in the States.

As you said, money talks, and Namco have more than enough to help back a project like Dark Souls. It might not have happened if From had to self-publish it. Sony helped with Demon's Souls, remember, and I assume their treatment(re: lack of respect) with the US version kind of soured From on working with them again.

Would've been great if Atlus were shown some love, but it wasn't practical. See also: Nintendo & Bayonetta II.

Orayn

In my rapier build, I could not fight the snakes in Sen's Fortress at all and ran to the bonfire in something like two minutes. Killed the fire thrower very slowly, and summoned Tarkus to fight the boss. Whole dungeon in like 10 minutes..

The discussion in the other thread about making Dark Souls AI more like Ninja Gaiden (1/Black) brought up some very good points. The Souls' series' greatest asset is its combat, and while the systems in place are quite good, there's still plenty of room for improvement.

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

Meh...if its not broke, don't fix it. I'm enjoying Dark Souls right now as much as I am because the combat isn't like your typical fast paced action game. If they screw with the tactical and deliberate nature of the combat they're making a huge mistake.

Midou

The discussion in the other thread about making Dark Souls AI more like Ninja Gaiden (1/Black) brought up some very good points. The Souls' series' greatest asset is its combat, and while the systems in place are quite good, there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Yes, quite a few enemies are basically just, block and then attack. They sometimes jump out of the way but it doesn't really help them. Circling around an enemy until they attack and backstabbing them works quite often. While the actual control of combat shouldn't be changed, the way you fight and the types of enemies certainly has room for improvement. I certainly felt more helpless in certain parts of Demon's Souls.

Others, like giant knights, are like, wait for them to do a slow move, and then attack.

zashga

- Shibuya says he wants to make things like the Covenant system clearer and more accessible, and he wants to make the story and messaging less subtle.

Sounds worrisome. I really loved the atmosphere in the first two Souls games. Subtlety of any kind is so rare in games, so I loved the understated (but voluminous) lore, especially in Dark Souls.

I want to stay optimistic about the game overall, but these early comments do not inspire confidence.

I wonder how feasible it is to have the enemy movement expanded. It always took me out of the game a little when I'd step across an invisible barrier that they could not and would just slowly back away.

If more action means QTEs I'll turn into a spirit of vengeance and invade From Soft.

It's dangerous to invade alone, take this

2022223-praise_the_sun_super.jpg

Orayn

Meh...if its not broke, don't fix it. I'm enjoying Dark Souls right now as much as I am because the combat isn't like your typical fast paced action game. If they screw with the tactical and deliberate nature of the combat they're making a huge mistake.

Thing is, you realize which parts of the combat are shallow when you play enough.
  • Enemies completely ignore you until you're a certain distance away from them.
  • Most humanoid enemies can be effortlessly circle-strafed and backstabbed.
  • Any level with lots of ledges leads to enemies that are downright suicidal.
  • Enemies track player movement slowly enough that you can simply run through huge portions of the game.
I'd certainly be in favor of enhancing the action through addressing some of those things.

FACE

Banned
- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

I really hope this means they've made the normal enemies more aggressive.

seems cool, they are right to make it more accessible and more straight-forward. the first Dark Souls was so stupid, there were no directions where to go, no mini-map, nothing. and sometimes you find items that you dont know what they are or cant even use them wtf, just so annoying. and why cant i send co-op invites?! unbelievable. they better fix that too for the bigger and better sequel. ohh and character creation was also useless, i wanted to make a big badass warrior but the game only lets me make skinny wimp characters.. WHAT is up with that??

hopefully theres better voice acting too, it was so bad in Dark Souls. they didn't even sound American with the weird accents and whatever, really pissed me off.

anyway bring on Dark Souls 2!

- He promises there will still be "hidden" elements in the story and world which can be missed.

wow this is really stupid.

Pooya

the company decision part sounds awful, it's like he didn't have a choice in the matter.

it's like

namco: you will have this and that in the game
Miyazaki: no, get out.
namco: you first.

:p

Midou

the company decision part sounds awful, it's like he didn't have a choice in the matter.

it's like

namco: you will have this and that in the game
Miyazaki: no, get out.
namco: you first.

:p

It's probably more like,

Namco: You have to work on project X
Miyazaki: I know, I sure wish I could work on Dark Souls 2
Namco: You can watch or something.
Miyazaki: Okay :(

i-Lo

Let me preface by saying I think I love good graphics. So, I mean it when I express my concern about the upgraded visuals and how it may be partly responsible for "mainstream-ing" Dark Souls franchise (in case it happens) to draw in a more casual crowd. After seeing what has become of Dead Space franchise, here's me hoping that they don't gut the spirit of this franchise to diversify its target demographic.

I wonder how things would have progressed if Sony had the foresight to publish the Souls series...

Top Bottom