• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 World Hockey Championship of watching real hockey again.

Ah man, the Danes are collapsing. Even as an Swede is kinda painful to watch. 4-0 to Sweden and there are still 8 minutes left in the first period.

Socreges

Banned
Sweet goal by Eberle.

This Skinner/Tavares/Eberle line is great. Skinner is fun to watch since he's such a great skater, but he can't seem to play his game without constantly getting smoked.

Switzerland is pretty good. It's been nice to see them emerge as a country that can consistently compete with the big boys.

Socreges

Banned
Why did TSN just show some douche Man Utd fan? That was weird.

Nice goal by Getzlaf. This has been a good game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sweet goal by Eberle.

This Skinner/Tavares/Eberle line is great. Skinner is fun to watch since he's such a great skater, but he can't seem to play his game without constantly getting smoked.

Switzerland is pretty good. It's been nice to see them emerge as a country that can consistently compete with the big boys.

They can't really, though. Sure, they don't get completely crushed even against really good nations, but they don't really have a chance in the long run.

Socreges

Banned
They can't really, though. Sure, they don't get completely crushed even against really good nations, but they don't really have a chance in the long run.
Not only that, but they sometimes beat the very good nations and often make for tight, respectable games. I'm obviously not saying they 'compete for the championship', but just from game to game. I'm still differentiating them from the "big boys" (top 7), of course.

They are dangerous as hell but Sweden can take them.

I stupidly promised to go to a live music thing tonight however so I will miss watching the match. :(

Really curious how the Finland Canada game will go as well. Has the potential to be one hell of a game imo.

Socreges

Banned
BURROWS

iW6yZpHrDdJYc.gif

Great first period in the Russia - Sweden game. Russia didn't have much at all and 1 - 2 score is good for them considering how the period went.

Socreges

Banned
Comeback complete. For now.

European refs are going to call every single infraction on Canada. If they can just clean up their game, they give themselves a much better chance.

Horrible refs in RUS - SWE game. Ugly dive by russian player, russian goal the result..

EDIT: Ugh, get Yemelin off the ice. Spears a dude in the first period and only get 2 min. 2 dives in the second and skates away with a grin. Yeah I might be partial but damn. :p

After that damn amazing first period we started to choke like we usually do against Canada. We literally gave couple goals away with damn ridiculous defense mistakes. It's always also nice to hit crossbar twice during final period.....luckily this was not death match.

After that damn amazing first period we started to choke like we usually do against Canada. We literally gave couple goals away with damn ridiculous defense mistakes. It's always also nice to hit crossbar twice during final period.....luckily this was not death match.

Like Cam Ward said, he had to summon his inner Billy Ranford to get the win for Canada. Note he didn't mention Kirk McLean, Mike Vernon or any other jobber from the early 90's.

Socreges

Banned
Finland was much better in the first period, but I'd just as well blame a lack of energy from Canada than praise Finland. As for "literally giving a couple goals away"... each goal was very good and earned. Good offense will force defensive mistakes. That 2-on-1 rush was also during a 4-on-4, IIRC.

The empty goal was pretty funny, though. The Finnish dman somehow had no idea that Lehtonen was gone.

Like Cam Ward said, he had to summon his inner Billy Ranford to get the win for Canada. Note he didn't mention Kirk McLean, Mike Vernon or any other jobber from the early 90's.
Ehhh, I didn't even think Ward was so great. He didn't make many exceptional saves. Definitely solid, though.

Socreges

Banned
I know, I would rather have Dubz in there. I was trying to summon my inner "troll". You guys are too smart though.
Try something more modern next time. Surely you haven't lost your hard-on for Luongo.

And don't worry, they must really trust Dubnyk because they've left him with the most important assignment: Kazakhstan.

wink

calder

Kazakhstan playing pretty well mid way through the first. Can they keep up this pace after a hard fought game against the US yesterday though.

Recorded the game against Finland yesterday, great comeback. I watched the first 5 minutes unspoiled but then snapped and checked the result, then skipped the first period lol. Damn Skinner/Tavares are still awesome

FFS did Burke send Phaneuf to Finland solely to ruin Canada's PP? What a genius. :p

Socreges

Banned
Was thinking the same. Then he had to go and rip one top-corner. Great setup by Getzlaf.

Those two definitely have some chemistry. And with Burke speaking to Getzlaf in Finland last week... maybe we'll be seeing him in a Leafs uniform come October? Maybe... maybe.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Was thinking the same. Then he had to go and rip one top-corner. Great setup by Getzlaf.

Those two definitely have some chemistry. And with Burke speaking to Getzlaf in Finland last week... maybe we'll be seeing him in a Leafs uniform come October? Maybe... maybe.

Don't do this to me you asshole. :(

Damn. Flashbacks drom Vancouver came to my mind as I watched that game...Pretty damn perfect hockey from USA. I must say though that how USA plays depends completely on motivation lol. Losing to Slovakia and barely beating Kazakstan and then 5-0 win from home team. We really need figure out something for quarter finals as we play against USA again then...

Socreges

Banned
If Getzy goes elsewhere it's not because he was convinced to.
I was kidding before, but Getzlaf is going to be a UFA after this season and Burke was almost certainly trying to persuade him to not resign with the Ducks (I imagine something like this, but with less hair). Ducks org will be looking at signing him to an extension over the next several months, no question. If they can't come to terms, then he could be trade bait midway through the season.

Heretic

I was kidding before, but Getzlaf is going to be a UFA after this season and Burke was almost certainly trying to persuade him to not resign with the Ducks (I imagine something like this, but with less hair). Ducks org will be looking at signing him to an extension over the next several months, no question. If they can't come to terms, then he could be trade bait midway through the season.

Getzy has said time and time again that he doesn't want to leave Anaheim. Even when the team was at its worse and rumors were running rampant he still was dedicated to staying unlike other players from other teams. Who knows though. I doubt he'll want to leave MVPerry.

Socreges

Banned
Photographic evidence:

iW6oJZC5PArW3.jpg

I don't doubt that Getzlaf wants to stay in Anaheim. I'm not saying otherwise. But Burke probably wanted to "plant that seed", so to speak.

Socreges

Banned
The open ice makes a big difference. Russia also has better participation than Canada.

Looks like Canada, after facing Kazakhstan and Belarus in their remaining prelim games, will likely have this path if they want to win the championship:

QF: Finland/Slovakia
SF: Sweden
Final: Russia

Ouch.

Heretic

The open ice makes a big difference. Russia also has better participation than Canada.

Looks like Canada, after facing Kazakhstan and Belarus in their remaining prelim games, will likely have this path if they want to win the championship:

QF: Finland/Slovakia
SF: Sweden
Final: Russia

Ouch.

Haven't seen the brackets but wouldn't the US face Finland in the quarters? I remember the announcers mentioning that Finland and the US would meet again in the quarters

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Haven't seen the brackets but wouldn't the US face Finland in the quarters? I remember the announcers mentioning that Finland and the US would meet again in the quarters

Probably, unless USA chokes against Switzerland, and Slovakia beats France. Then quarters would be Canada-USA and Finland-Slovakia.

Of course that might change if Canada actually lost to Belarus, but that's obviously not going to happen.

Top Bottom