• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

Duffyside

Banned
Probably won't be up for XBLSilver for another week, but I bet it's up on PSNfree day one.

Really starting to hate MS' greed and ransom practices.

Holy crap. Are demos really part of the Gold service too? Wow.

Don't know why you guys continue to put up with MS's garbage.

branny

Your ranking being tied to how many pieces you cut is just...meh. It's like your ranking in DMC3 being ranked to how many red orbs you find. It's bullshit.
Your rank is determined my how many cuts you get in blade mode? That seems odd....and stupid.
Yup yet another disappointment for me. :(
Sorry, these were on the other page, but I just wanted to point out that it's not true. Don't worry about this.

Your rank is based off of several factors: time taken, BP, longest combo, zandatsu, and kills. Maximum score for each component is 1000 points, and you need 5000 to get an S Rank. If you take no damage, you will get an additional 1000 bonus.

Though you can get some extra BP from blade mode like cutting off limbs, I'm certain you can get BP from other things like stylish play. If not, then that's stupid. It does seem like most of the encounter BP comes from blade mode in the demo, though.

The scoring system is set up that you can leave out a component entirely if you like, too. If you just want to play with your food, you can sacrifice the time component, but you have to be smart about it. If you're a good player who doesn't want to bother with Zandatsu finishers on everything, you don't have to. The combo timer is also really generous, and sometimes you can use psychotic blade mode slashing to pump up that counter. Many powerful attacks encourage blade mode afterward (the action freezes for a second), so it's interesting to see how each aspect of combat feeds into one another.

It's not perfect, but I'm starting to understand the reasoning behind it. A Gekko's grapple does no damage, for example, but it's there to screw up your combo counter. Also, the dizzy system and parry counter system let you go from enemy to enemy for better battlefield management if you don't want to kill things one by one. This is also how ninja run is incorporated into fights: you can automatically leap over reeling/crouched/dismembered enemies like an obstacle (though it's hard to reproduce this consistently in the demo, tbh--it seems like it only works right when you start ninja run, not when it's sustained), the wide attack while running lets you slash on the way to your destination (likely to maintain combo counter and/or to interrupt foes), and the strong attack slide and dive kick let you close in on things faster (the latter being viable because of air parry). I'm sure this is also the reason why we have an unlimited wide attack combo. Strong attacks probably cause more dizzy stun, and the breakdance is useful for when you're surrounded. The same goes with the invincible jump+wide attack sidesteps and backsteps--you won't be caught in parry block animations or forced into the parry counter that leaves you vulnerable. Lots of interesting situational stuff like that, imo.

dab0ne

[PS3 version] First impressions is that I can't wait for this game. That's it.

Okay, timing a parry takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do you're just too slicey-slicey for other cyborg fools. The use of sub-items is quick and simple, although I made a fail by throwing a grenade and it going in the direction Raiden is facing instead of the camera; because of no lock-on? Swinging at an enemy and cutting his thrown grenade in half is amusing, though.

The only hiccup I had was just inside the building after the first encounter when talking to Boris. Framerate noticeably dropped for a few moments.

I got that frame rate issue too. I got the Parry down after I played through a couple times but I still hate it. As a matter of fact I fucking hate it, but that's just my opinion. I would much rather have a single button parry. If you have to already press a button why does the analog stick have to be involved? Why can't you just press circle or something like that? Like I said, it's not that hard it's just a nuisance.

Wow, as a fan of action games I found this boring. Every enemy dies the same way-- stun it (either with strong attacks or parrying), go into blade mode, slash the square, hit circle, regenerate all health and blade mode gauge. You're practically invincible in this game. The combat feels too much like a long quick-time event, rather than creative combat where you have to plan your attacks. That's what kills the fun for me most in this game. The fight at the end basically forces you to use the parry move if you want to beat it efficiently. It's not hard to pull off, but it does feel counter intuitive to stand still and hit forward + square rather than dodge or jump away.

Overall the game feels much too choreographed for my taste. I get that in all action games there's a most efficient way to kill stuff, but here it's just too simple and repetitive. In a good action game, you have to discover yourself how to best kill something. In Metal Gear Rising, it's way too obvious (once you stumble upon the answer, since the game explains pretty much nothing) and any other method is just a waste of time. It really just feels thoughtless, and I'm just going through the same motions over and over. It doesn't feel like there's nearly as much depth to the combat as Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, or Bayonetta. Game is super easy, and I felt like I was effortlessly killing stuff almost by accident.

Maybe there's something wrong with my PS3, but the game almost never reached 60fps for me. When I spin the camera and keep my eye focused on one part of the scenery, it would stutter. Game probably ran at 45-60 fps the whole time.

I haven't given up hope yet-- this was only a slice of the game, and I expect it'll change things up as the game progresses. However, I think the "stun, blade mode, regenerate" pattern will be present throughout and compromise creative combat opportunities.

Persona86

Banned
I've got a question about the Rising demo that came with ZOE HD. It required an HDD install and the disc. Anyone know where to delete that install? It's not the in Game Data.

edit: Never mind. I found it.

Is it not in the game menu? You know where it shows the list of games before you play one.

Edit: oh I see you've solved it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People will definitely be able to master this; the aiming isn't random/imprecise at all.

It's not really that, it's more it breaks the "flow" of combat and you have to fight with the camera to get the "guide" line for the left/right stick that slices lined up.

It's why if they are patching the game they should add a "casual" mode option where Raiden in blade mode lines up nearly on the square but not exactly to where the flow of combat is faster, you can slice dudes to millions without worrying about fucking around with the camera but to balance this you don't get as many spine/health upgrades on the chances with the exception of REALLY LOW (5-10%) health.

branny

I got that frame rate issue too. I got the Parry down after I played through a couple times but I still hate it. As a matter of fact I fucking hate it, but that's just my opinion. I would much rather have a single button parry. If you have to already press a button why does the analog stick have to be involved? Why can't you just press circle or something like that? Like I said, it's not that hard it's just a nuisance.
What if two enemies were attacking you at the same time, and you wanted to parry one of them in particular? Like, if one of the enemies were alone and the other had Gekkos next to him, wouldn't you want to parry the one who got you out of the most danger? The system in place encourages forward momentum and discourages turtling. I think it's fine, but I can understand what you mean.

The only hiccup I had was just inside the building after the first encounter when talking to Boris. Framerate noticeably dropped for a few moments.
It's likely that sequence is there to mask loading. :(

Persona86

Banned
Wow, as a fan of action games I found this boring. Every enemy dies the same way-- stun it (either with strong attacks or parrying), go into blade mode, slash the square, hit circle, regenerate all health and blade mode gauge. You're practically invincible in this game. The combat feels too much like a long quick-time event, rather than creative combat where you have to plan your attacks. That's what kills the fun for me most in this game. The fight at the end basically forces you to use the parry move if you want to beat it efficiently. It's not hard to pull off, but it does feel counter intuitive to stand still and hit forward + square rather than dodge or jump away.

Overall the game feels much too choreographed for my taste. I get that in all action games there's a most efficient way to kill stuff, but here it's just too simple and repetitive. In a good action game, you have to discover yourself how to best kill something. In Metal Gear Rising, it's way too obvious (once you stumble upon the answer, since the game explains pretty much nothing) and any other method is just a waste of time. It really just feels thoughtless, and I'm just going through the same motions over and over. It doesn't feel like there's nearly as much depth to the combat as Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, or Bayonetta. Game is super easy, and I felt like I was effortlessly killing stuff almost by accident.

Maybe there's something wrong with my PS3, but the game almost never reached 60fps for me. When I spin the camera and keep my eye focused on one part of the scenery, it would stutter. Game probably ran at 45-60 fps the whole time.

I haven't given up hope yet-- this was only a slice of the game, and I expect it'll change things up as the game progresses. However, I think the "stun, blade mode, regenerate" pattern will be present throughout and compromise creative combat opportunities.
I haven't played the demo yet, but I assume your in a easy area with easy enemies so that you can slowly learn. Then later on you will learn new moves etc and face harder enemies.

Slime

Banned
Took me a while to get the hang of it, but I ended up enjoying it way more than I thought I would. Definitely purchasing this now.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Sorry, these were on the other page, but I just wanted to point out that it's not true. Don't worry about this.

Your rank is based off of several factors: time taken, BP, longest combo, zandatsu, and kills. Maximum score for each component is 1000 points, and you need 5000 to get an S Rank. If you take no damage, you will get an additional 1000 bonus.

Though you can get some extra BP from blade mode like cutting off limbs, I'm certain you can get BP from other things like stylish play.

The scoring system is set up that you can leave out a component entirely if you like, too. If you just want to play with your food, you can sacrifice the time component, but you have to be smart about it. If you're a good player who doesn't want to bother with Zandatsu finishers on everything, you don't have to. The combo timer is also really generous, and sometimes you can use psychotic blade mode slashing to pump up that counter. Many powerful attacks encourage blade mode afterward (the action freezes for a second), so it's interesting to see how each aspect of combat feeds into one another.

It's not perfect, but I'm starting to understand the reasoning behind it. A Gekko's grapple does no damage, for example, but it's there to screw up your combo counter. Also, the dizzy system and parry counter system let you go from enemy to enemy for better battlefield management if you don't want to kill things one by one. This is also how ninja run is incorporated into fights: you can automatically leap over stunned/crouched enemies like an obstacle, the wide attack while running lets you slash on the way to your destination (likely to maintain combo counter and/or to interrupt foes), and the strong attack slide and dive kick let you close in on things faster (the latter being viable because of air parry). I'm sure this is also the reason why we have an unlimited wide attack combo. Strong attacks probably cause more dizzy stun, and the breakdance is useful for when you're surrounded. The same goes with the invincible jump+wide attack sidesteps and backsteps--you won't be caught in parry block animations or forced into the parry counter that leaves you vulnerable. Lots of interesting situational stuff like that, imo.
I'm not going to play the demo (blackout) but reading stuff like this gets me more excited for the game. This game's combat and defensive philosophies are certainly different from dmc/bayo/ng and for me that's good. I'm interested in a different angle to action games that still tries to maintain depth.

It is strange how crazy easy this demo was but you read game journos writing about how they died a dozen times at the blade wolf boss, so I wonder how much adjustment of difficulty went on for this demo, because they honestly can't be THAT bad at games. The robot dog is no Cerberus, that's for sure.

I imagine enemy variety shouldn't be a massive issue, since goons are supposed to be easily dispatched, and from the trailers we've seen enemies with multi-hit attacks/grabs that can't just be slide-datsued with impunity.

meta4

Yeah. It just does not make sense. It is just not as accurate to tilt the analog stick and pressing square as it would be to just dedicate a button for parry. It is completely unintuitive and ruins the game. The last boss all I did was parry and kept blocking a couple of times and then stunning the dog for blade mode. Rinse and repeat. What is worse is when you block and not stun the enemy goes halfway across the screen and you have to repeat the process till you get that narrow window right to stun the boss. When you have such a window you might as well keep a dedicated parry button because the last thing I want raiden to do is swing his sword or move forward instead of parrying.

Sparse

Having to use the analog was what kept screwing me up too. If I'm honest I don't mind the use of the stick, it's just getting pinged backward for not having it facing the attack direction might be irritating on the higher difficulties. But I guess once you've played the game for a while it becomes almost second nature?

KurowaSan

PS3 demo is a bit buggier. Got the missing hair texture thing, camera got locked in a weird way, half a dead soldier with no legs refused to die and started walking, or should I say floating, around... The thing I noticed the most was lower quality shadows compared to the 360 version. EDIT or maybe not, they are actually missing in the 360 version, that's why they didn't bug me when I first played it. In fact, they look better on the PS3...
I'm more comfortable with the DS3 though.

I'm kinda doubting here on which version to get...

dab0ne

What if two enemies were attacking you at the same time, and you wanted to parry one of them in particular? Like, if one of the enemies were alone and the other had Gekkos next to him, wouldn't you want to parry the one who got you out of the most danger? The system in place encourages forward momentum and discourages turtling. I think it's fine, but I can understand what you mean.

Either way I would want to parry the first incoming attack. No matter who attacks first I want to parry that one because the first attack will stagger you leaving you open no matter who delivers it; the weaker or stronger of the two enemies.

Edit: Also, I don't think a block button is necessary, just a more intuitive way to parry. If two attacks are incoming and I time the parry I should parry both unless one is behind me. If one is behind me who is more powerful, or does more damage, I can face that person with the analog stick and hit the parry button. The analog stick shouldn't be a mandatory part of the parry mechanic.

I really hate the deflecting, also is there no real block button?

I have a terrible habit of pressing LT or RT and activating the "cut" mode when trying to dodge attacks. I was really hoping for something like in Bayonetta... I guess I got too used to that. I either cannot pull off the parry or it isn't that great. I found the boss very difficult to deal with playing without a block or dodge button.

I have a few quarrels but generally I enjoyed the demo and will be buying it come February.

Good things: I like how it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. The dialogue is cheesy and it really feels like a Platinum Game. It is nothing like Metal Gear in terms of style or gameplay, but it's a fun little distraction. I liked the little heads up to the rest of the series, though. The codec and the ? symbol on the handle of the mug back at HQ. It's clear they have a lot of respect for the property.

Bad things: I noticed a lot of screen tearing. Hopefully this will get fixed in the for release, it was really off putting. I'm not a big fan of the controls when cutting either. I feel like the game would benefit more from a button press after lining up your sword. Maybe it's just me, but I'd often muck up the cut because for some reason letting go of the analogue stick would do nothing. My other control complaint lies with using health items. Why is this menu mapped to the D-Pad? It feels really awkward, especially on 360. I also couldn't seem to access said menu when moving or being attacked. This was super annoying since your health items are stored in there.

deim0s

It is strange how crazy easy this demo was but you read game journos writing about how they died a dozen times at the blade wolf boss, so I wonder how much adjustment of difficulty went on for this demo, because they honestly can't be THAT bad at games. The robot dog is no Cerberus, that's for sure.

I imagine enemy variety shouldn't be a massive issue, since goons are supposed to be easily dispatched, and from the trailers we've seen enemies with multi-hit attacks/grabs that can't just be slide-datsued with impunity.

The mooks at second section are lethal enough. Try to get pummeled by the two geckos with the three RPG toting soldiers, getting combo'ed by rockets and kicks - you'd see your health go down to zero pretty quick.

They're probably trying to blade mode everything and basically being free. :p

branny

Either way I would want to parry the first incoming attack. No matter who attacks first I want to parry that one because the first attack will stagger you leaving you open no matter who delivers it; the weaker or stronger of the two enemies.

Edit: Also, I don't think a block button is necessary, just a more intuitive way to parry. If two attacks are incoming and I time the parry I should parry both unless one is behind me. If one is behind me who is more powerful, or does more damage, I can face that person with the analog stick and hit the parry button. The analog stick shouldn't be a mandatory part of the parry mechanic.
Gotcha, but parrying also changes your facing direction: if you parried the wrong enemy and tried to backstep right after that, you would backstep into danger instead of safety.

For your edit, I get what you're saying about just dropping the analog stick input (it could be possible to just go into a parry stance and then automatically face whoever attacked you afterward), but that would be pretty boring. If enemies were taking turns attacking you from all angles, I'd be bored just spamming circle, tbh.

Duffyside

Banned
I am Jack's lack of Kamiya.

No dodge, which I sort of got over, but how am I supposed to parry an enemy that attacks me out of no where? I have no idea why any combos are useful; I just mash X a bunch and then do Blade Mode. I like the parry idea, but I don't know why enemies bounce so far away when I do it well. Totally removes the reward for doing it right.

Hm. I had said I would get this day one to support Platinum, but I might have to change that practice to more accurately reflect my love. "Support Kamiya," not necessarily the rest of Platinum.

mattp

Yeah. It just does not make sense. It is just not as accurate to tilt the analog stick and pressing square as it would be to just dedicate a button for parry. It is completely unintuitive and ruins the game. The last boss all I did was parry and kept blocking a couple of times and then stunning the dog for blade mode. Rinse and repeat. What is worse is when you block and not stun the enemy goes halfway across the screen and you have to repeat the process till you get that narrow window right to stun the boss. When you have such a window you might as well keep a dedicated parry button because the last thing I want raiden to do is swing his sword or move forward instead of parrying.

block, the boss gets knocked back, ninja run up to him, combo, repeat

you dont HAVE to get the parry ;)

NG28

No dodge, which I sort of got over, but how am I supposed to parry an enemy that attacks me out of no where? I have no idea why any combos are useful; I just mash X a bunch and then do Blade Mode. I like the parry idea, but I don't know why enemies bounce so far away when I do it well. Totally removes the reward for doing it right.

Hm. I had said I would get this day one to support Platinum, but I might have to change that practice to more accurately reflect my love. "Support Kamiya," not necessarily the rest of Platinum.

If they bounce far away its because you aren't timing it right. At least not as well as it can be done.

Kard8p3

I have a terrible habit of pressing LT or RT and activating the "cut" mode when trying to dodge attacks. I was really hoping for something like in Bayonetta... I guess I got too used to that. I either cannot pull off the parry or it isn't that great. I found the boss very difficult to deal with playing without a block or dodge button.

I have a few quarrels but generally I enjoyed the demo and will be buying it come February.

Good things: I like how it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. The dialogue is cheesy and it really feels like a Platinum Game. It is nothing like Metal Gear in terms of style or gameplay, but it's a fun little distraction. I liked the little heads up to the rest of the series, though. The codec and the ? symbol on the handle of the mug back at HQ. It's clear they have a lot of respect for the property.

Bad things: I noticed a lot of screen tearing. Hopefully this will get fixed in the for release, it was really off putting. I'm not a big fan of the controls when cutting either. I feel like the game would benefit more from a button press after lining up your sword. Maybe it's just me, but I'd often muck up the cut because for some reason letting go of the analogue stick would do nothing. My other control complaint lies with using health items. Why is this menu mapped to the D-Pad? It feels really awkward, especially on 360. I also couldn't seem to access said menu when moving or being attacked. This was super annoying since your health items are stored in there.

You can use the light and wide attack buttons to cut horizontally/vertically.

Carbonox

Man this game is sensational.

I clicked with it pretty much instantly and haven't died once in my multiple runs through the demo. My scores are getting better now so I can get A's and S's. Zandatsu still takes a while to get used to though so sometimes I don't get the spine. Can be annoying but I'm sure I will iron it out.

My favourite attack atm is the dash and Zandatsu combination. VANQUISH EAT YOUR HEART OUT.

The Bladewolf was surprisingly very easy. Once you get the parrying down, he's absolutely no threat whatsoever.

LOVE THIS. Once I figure out the combat nuances even more, my mind will be blown at the magic I will be able to pull off.

Edit: Camera is wank though. Sometimes when I got the Bladewolf in a corner, the camera would have a fit. :lol

meta4

Gotcha, but parrying also changes your facing direction: if you parried the wrong enemy and tried to backstep right after that, you would backstep into danger instead of safety.

For your edit, I get what you're saying about just dropping the analog stick input (it could be possible to just go into a parry stance and then automatically face whoever attacked you afterward), but that would be pretty boring. If enemies were taking turns attacking you from all angles, I'd be bored just spamming circle, tbh.

Which is why if they are going to design a game on this they could have penalized the player for spamming. Currently when you block you do not lose life. Penalize by subtracting a bit of life. The solution to prevent spamming is not to make the input unnecessarily difficult. I feel the analogue stick is not the right input to include in a mechanism that is so reliant on a narrow window to stun for fast bosses. It will lead to Raiden unnecessarily swinging or moving forward when the intention was to stun.

block, the boss gets knocked back, ninja run up to him, combo, repeat

you dont HAVE to get the parry ;)

Yeah I know. I got so bored of trying to parry I ended up doing that. Infact ninja run is all you need to easily defeat the boss. You can combo the shit out of him while avoiding his moves. There is no requirement for even blocking.

Basically my complains since day 1 with the ZOE HD Demo, which is the same. I think this game enters more into the NG area than DMC/Bayonetta.

But I still think they should add the MGS4/ZOE2 circle around the character, that way it could blink saying where the next attack will come from. And it won't be out of the MGS universe.

Skilletor

There is a dodge.

DarҖaoZ;46813090 said:
Basically my complains since day 1 with the ZOE HD Demo, which is the same. I think this game enters more into the NG area than DMC/Bayonetta.

But I still think they should add the MGS4/ZOE2 circle around the character, that way it could blink saying where the next attack will come from. And it won't be out of the MGS universe.

Jacknicholson.gif

Can't wait! :D

dab0ne

No, that's not what I mean. What I mean is the exact same parry as now just without the analog stick. You can't parry unless being attacked, just like now. Basically, all I want, is to drop the analog stick. But I guess I'll just have to learn to love it.

Kard8p3

That's great, I'll give this a go!

I was in the same camp as you with using the stick, I was like "What the hell?! All these videos I'm watching, blade mode looks so badass! Do I suck that bad with it?!" and then when I learned about the buttons, it made sense, the players were likely using the buttons. It makes a world of difference.

dan2026

The boss is basically just a 'learn to parry you morons!' simulator.

If you parry too early he bounces away and you can't get him (easily)

If you parry perfectly, you end up right next to him and can wail on his ass.

Carbonox

I'm not sure if it's been posted or not [at least, I couldn't see it], but a new video was uploaded today!

Suit Overview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmeKRU-LfOA

Shiiii the music reminds me of the stuff from the TDK trilogy. Hans Zimmer all up in dis joint.

I've yet to hear a single ounce of music from this game that hasn't been awesome. Great soundtrack so far.

Good video too showcasing some new areas which look fun.

You don't need a block button in this game. Ninja Gaiden needed a block button, but a game where the AI is this passive and you can one-shot all the standard goons does not need a block button. The Parry window is massive, as long as you time it with something turning orange you'll almost always atleast get a block.

Mit-

I'm pretty sure the slow-walking scene when everyone experiences the framerate drop is a disguised loading segment. Hence your limited movement and the frame drop. Plus they funneled you into a small room to do so. It was likely loading the entire upcoming outdoor scene in the streets.

mattp

i applaud them for trying something different/new
you can't just go into this and play like pretending its bayonetta or ninja gaiden
you have to learn to play it differently
whether the parrying stuff will ultimately be good, it's kind of too early to tell. need to play the entire game to really know

Once I got the hang of parrying it was much more enjoyable, I found I was pushing forward with the left stick when attacking (not sure why I was). That made it hard to parry, once I stopped doing that parrying was much easier and consistent.

Love the demo and can't wait to play the full game.

I wanted to chime in on this subject earlier when it came up, but yeah, it sure is hard to frame it as "Gold gets it early" rather than "Silver gets it late" when it's releasing on another platform at the same time as the "early" one. Ransom is the exact word I'd use. I try not to get emotional about consoles and their warz but MS fucking disgusts me in this regard.

Holy crap. Are demos really part of the Gold service too? Wow.

Don't know why you guys continue to put up with MS's garbage.
I'm seriously thinking about being more Playstation sided next gen. It's a fresh start, so why not.

And I can see MS now on their next system: "SUBSCRIBE TO XBOX LIVE GOLD TO GET ACCESS TO THE 'A' BUTTON AND RIGHT TRIGGER!!"

Jex

I'm pretty sure the slow-walking scene when everyone experiences the framerate drop is a disguised loading segment. Hence your limited movement and the frame drop. Plus they funneled you into a small room to do so. It was likely loading the entire upcoming outdoor scene in the streets.

It doesn't feel particularly disguised to me, lol.

Also, screw manual slicing. It doesn't fit the game flow at all. Ah well.

jett

D-Member
Right now the "combo" stuff is one of the more disappointing aspects to me. I didn't expect it to be mindlessly mashy. Doing any particular combo string purposefully seems to have no use in the demo. You just mash square and triangle, and that's more than good enough.

If you have no idea how to parry, that dog destroys you. The only reason it didn't destroy me is because I had already seen several videos of the MGR demo.

Top Bottom