• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Romero is selling his original Doom II disks

lol @ anonymous Internet posters speculating about someone's personal finances based on what they put up on eBay. It's hardly like these disks are some personal heirloom.

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't he have many copies of the game and just be selling one set of disks? What's special about these disks (apart from the fact he will sign them if you want)?

I mean, couldn't he have just bought a copy of Doom 2 on ebay and be re-selling the disks for a 10000% markup?

The point is that they are his disks. It's like the difference of buying a Michael Jordan jersey in a store and buying a jersey he wore in a game. One is worth way more than the other.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I don't know if he's hard up for money or whatever but I saw him at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

massoluk

Banned
Probably valuable to someone. I can't say I feel much attachment to a retail floppy that happened to be owned by Romero

The point is that they are his disks. It's like the difference of buying a Michael Jordan jersey in a store and buying a jersey he wore in a game. One is worth way more than the other.

To what extent are they his disks? Nowhere in the listing does it state any kind of backstory, not even a 'these were stashed in a shoe box for 20+ years, just found 'em' etc. There doesn't seem to be any significance to the actual items themselves other than John Romero has retail Doom disks that he could have acquired any time between the early 90s and now, and is selling them. Now, If they had some kind of quirk or unique attribute to Romero, or were even development disks of some sort (highly unlikely he would sell that sort of thing, but just using as an example), then that would really be something to get people in a spin. Of course, he has his fans, and whatever someone wants to spend their money on is up to them.

I don't know if he's hard up for money or whatever but I saw him at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I dont know what to make of this other than it sounds like a Bill Murray story.

This isn't funny when it's been posted 100 times before.

Seik

Banned
I feel bad for whoever tries to justify this as if its actually buying art or a collectible rarity. This isn't buying a painting or anything like that. Its more like buying the picture frame the painting was once in, from the original painter who happened to find it.
It's just the encasing of something once great.

There's a reason nobody collects floppy disks.

You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about.

Take a deep breath and understand/accept the wrongness of your opinion, because it is wrong. There is a market for this, no matter how ridiculous you think this is.

Top Bottom