• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Almost forgot to post my January stats. Um...I played a lot of Destiny (and this isn't even counting 10+ games on TTS):
0UpIcUY.jpg

Also in Destiny news...I think I have my Han/Rey list down to the best it can ever be in the current card pool and meta (to match my playstyle). 14-0 on TTS now including several against the top-tier Jango decks. Weirdly not that many people play Vader on there, but I think Negotiation + Jetpack Special + Force Throw + the basic removal suite should be enough to give me a decent chance against even good Vader players. I really wouldn't mind Disarm against Holocron (used to have 2x) but I just got annoyed at how it's actually counter-synergistic with my battlefield (starship graveyard) and of course the inability to touch ability upgrades, so more into generic removal now (and two deflects to deal with all the Jango nonsense). Also have to pilot through tough situations like losing on battlefield and mulliganing into late-game upgrades like OWTF and Second Chance (which are the lifeblood of the deck) but man is it fun. Rey is so boss. Love getting 3 and sometimes even 4 actions in a row.

My LGS got new copies of the Arkham Horror POD expansions so I picked up the Carnevale of Horrors pack. And shit! It's really great!

There's more potential for variety in these scenarios than I thought I'm really impressed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My LGS got new copies of the Arkham Horror POD expansions so I picked up the Carnevale of Horrors pack. And shit! It's really great!

There's more potential for variety in these scenarios than I thought I'm really impressed.

How did you do on it? I found it insanely difficult but really loved the art, mechanics, and general atmosphere.

Bonethug

Prepping for my annual tax return time board game order.
Mainly enjoy light games: Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo, Codenames, etc.

Current cart is: Santorini, 7 Wonders Duel, Sushi Go Party and Fuse.

Currently questioning Sushi Go Party (already have Sushi Go) and Fuse (don't currently have a time based stress game).

Anything else light that is awesome that I am forgetting about? BGG for reference.

JesseZao

Prepping for my annual tax return time board game order.
Mainly enjoy light games: Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo, Codenames, etc.

Current cart is: Santorini, 7 Wonders Duel, Sushi Go Party and Fuse.

Currently questioning Sushi Go Party (already have Sushi Go) and Fuse (don't currently have a time based stress game).

Anything else light that is awesome that I am forgetting about? BGG for reference.

I recently picked up Imhotep and Castles of Mad King Ludwig that are really fun and on the lighter side.

Survive or Camel Up are fun light games as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Cool. I picked it up the other week. Need to play it. The PODs I want to just play outside the campaigns.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I really appreciate the advice, Gaf. I've got Fearsome Floors coming in tomorrow and, in the meantime, we stopped by the store Friday night and bought Apples to Apples. We got around to playing it Saturday afternoon and had a really good time. We were just chillin' and sitting around the living room coffee table having a blast. It was exactly what I was looking for. Not so much that game in particular, just the experience of us together as a family having a good time.

Overall it was a great time and I can't wait to get more into boardgaming. We've had some pretty epic games of Star Wars Monopoly so hopefully, this means they'll be fairly tolerant of rulesets.

chifanpoe

Good start to my family's boycott Super Bowel Weekend. (We live in the Greater STL area so not fans of what the NFL/Stan K. did to the Rams)

We kicked it off with 2 games of Race for the Galaxy with my 10yo on Friday night. Saturday afternoon, my 4yo and I talked the Aeon's End with a victory! I did a quick game of Friday and it crushed me as per usual. Then my wife and I tried to get King Kong in Robinson Crusoe, we died, but had fun doing so. To end the evening we started our first legacy gaming experience with month 1 of Pandemic Legacy S1.

DI9d2BD.jpg

Today I am going to play some Castles of Burgundy, Machi Koro, and Love Letters with my kids, then do a solo run on Mage Knight and possibly take on month two of Pandemic. That should be a great way to chew through Sunday.

Hope everyone else had great gaming weekends as well.

Santorini is amazing

Definitely picking this up when I get my tax refund!

DOOM is on my list too, but it keeps going out of stock. Hope it's there when the tax return comes in.

Finally sleeved my Lost Cities.. The cards are of a unique size, and the only sleeves available for purchase are of questionable quality, and apparently often too small for the cards.

Instead, I had planned to cut down 70 x 120 mm tarot sized sleeves to fit the lost cities cards.. First I tried a paper cutter, but that just mangled the sleeves. Then I thought about just using scissors and quick cut, but that didn't work either.. In the end, the best method, on Fantasy Flight Tarot sized sleeves, was to use an exacto knife with a straight edge on a kitchen cutting sheet. It was a little time consuming, but the sleeves are wonderfully thick, and I'm very happy with the result.

Played a few games this past weekend:

- Coup: Second time playing with friends. It's a fun time, but it appears that with more players, it's harder to pull off certain things.. like using the Captain's steal ability.. There's always someone who blocks it. Same with Foreign Aid. Fun though.. I'm starting to consider new strategies.

- Betrayal at the House on the Hill: I like what this game CAN be, but it's less fun the more I play it... especially if your group isn't using their imaginations and want to abuse poor rules. For me it's not about winning, it's about doing what would feel right for the story. Standing in the laundry room and abusing the item recover function is anti fun. It's a game that needs a few house rules, but most of the people in my 'group' are competitive and play to win types and don't even consider house rules, even if a game in question could use a little sorting out.

- Conan: My friend kickstarted this and has had it on his shelf (in unsorted, unopened piles) for months. Finally we played the initial campaign. Seems like a fun time, but I've never played a game with different scenario set ups. I kickstarted Dark Souls, and I dread working my way through that manual, and how I'm going to fit all the content into the game smoothly. The complexity or at least the amount of 'stuff' seemed to have put my friend off even setting it up till now.

- Coup: Second time playing with friends. It's a fun time, but it appears that with more players, it's harder to pull off certain things.. like using the Captain's steal ability.. There's always someone who blocks it.

You can only block stealing if you are the player being stolen from.

How did you do on it? I found it insanely difficult but really loved the art, mechanics, and general atmosphere.

It's very hard, but I'd rather these little one-off scenarios be difficult since it makes it easier to slot them later into a campaign without them being too easy and gives them some more replayability/longevity.

fenners

You can only block stealing if you are the player being stolen from.

I thought anyone could block, of course they can then be challenged to justify their role.

Ah ignore me, re-read the rules & they say it's only the person being stolen from. I think we've been playing it right ;)

Bii

Good start to my family's boycott Super Bowel Weekend. (We live in the Greater STL area so not fans of what the NFL/Stan K. did to the Rams)

We kicked it off with 2 games of Race for the Galaxy with my 10yo on Friday night. Saturday afternoon, my 4yo and I talked the Aeon's End with a victory! I did a quick game of Friday and it crushed me as per usual. Then my wife and I tried to get King Kong in Robinson Crusoe, we died, but had fun doing so. To end the evening we started our first legacy gaming experience with month 1 of Pandemic Legacy S1.

http://i.imgur.com/DI9d2BD.jpg

Today I am going to play some Castles of Burgundy, Machi Koro, and Love Letters with my kids, then do a solo run on Mage Knight and possibly take on month two of Pandemic. That should be a great way to chew through Sunday.

Hope everyone else had great gaming weekends as well.

On Pandemic Legacy S1, I've had the board game for a little while (still sealed) and haven't been able to set a consistent schedule with family/friends so that we may play it together. How would the game play out if there was only two of us? Would we assume two characters or what?

Coup, the game where everyone is a Duke. :]
There's some nice advance strategies in Coup where my group discovered as we were playing. The way we played the game evolved as we played it again and again as we all became better strategists.

ultron87

On Pandemic Legacy S1, I've had the board game for a little while (still sealed) and haven't been able to set a consistent schedule with family/friends so that we may play it together. How would the game play out if there was only two of us? Would we assume two characters or what?

You can play two players just fine whichever way you decide to do it. If you do two players with two characters each you get to explore a bit more of the options and combos available, but it is a little more to keep track of, since you have to have separate hands of cards per character. It would totally work though. And it's quite good with just two characters also.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
We played it with two characters and we did have a really good time but be warned the game overall is quite easy with two. I think four characters would be better if I had to choose (and three probably ideal).

joelseph

Nice, I have only heard great things about it. Did you get golden fleece with it? I have a copy tacked onto my Gloomhaven pre-order through CSI, patiently waiting for both.

Only the base game, didn't want to wait for the expansion. Hoping to get that and Clank expansion in March.

Base game God powers are diverse enough to keep your fancy tickled for sometime. I broke it out between rounds at a long Mtg event yesterday and it always drew a crowd. Probably 6 games were played.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Still undefeated with this Han/Rey list. Including making three people on TTS table flip out of nowhere. Just sayin'...don't believe the hype that it's only villains with the power. I would like to try it out against a top Vader/Raider player like tinygrimes though, or one of the Knights of Ren guys. I'm probably feeling the strongest deck-wise I ever will in the game, and I have no tournaments within even an hour of me for the foreseeable future. :/

Still undefeated with this Han/Rey list. Including making three people on TTS table flip out of nowhere. Just sayin'...don't believe the hype that it's only villains with the power. I would like to try it out against a top Vader/Raider player like tinygrimes though, or one of the Knights of Ren guys. I'm probably feeling the strongest deck-wise I ever will in the game, and I have no tournaments within even an hour of me for the foreseeable future. :/

I'm considering taking my mediocre Jabba/Vader deck to a tournament, I need to find out when the next one at FFG is.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

I need to load up my Jango/eBala deck on TTS and see how you do haha

Experien

I played it two player with my gf all the way through, 17 games (11-6 record). We only took the role of one character each. I'd suggest just starting it. though having someone jump in late wouldn't be ideal.

Looking to get in on Destiny. With how scarce it is, what is the best way finding the next shipment?

Get lucky at your local game store. Most online retailers I think aren't bothering to take preorders. Game stores are getting in boxes here and there, it's all kinda luck of when they get supplies.

Sadly also alot of stores are holding boxes of boosters, cause they want them to use for draft tournaments.

Gurrry

Looking to get in on Destiny. With how scarce it is, what is the best way finding the next shipment?

Goto local stores, try and support them first. My local shops still have starters in, so yours might as well. Grab one of each of those first.

Then id say keep an eye on the SWDestiny reddit page. If an online store has boxes in stock, someone will post there. I was able to grab my 2nd box from Team Covenant because I happen to see the post on the reddit page about it at the right time.

You gotta be fast though cause if someone has them in stock, they will sell out in 10-20 minutes. Alot of the times, the store will be Canadian based since that seems to be where most of the stock is.

Other than that, id play on Table Top Simulator to find a deck you want to run, then just buy the cards individually from there.

joelseph

Thanks for the tip. Not sure living in Chicago will make it harder or easier to find boosters. I know the bigger name shops are all sold out but I wonder if there is some unknown to me shop out there holding...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I need to load up my Jango/eBala deck on TTS and see how you do haha

Yeah so I've been up against about 5 Jango/Bala and Jango Veers decks. While I've done well I suspect that against good player + standard list the win rate is closer to 50% against that and Vader/Raider. Which I'll still take b/c I've always enjoyed trying to punch up to T1 from T1.5. Was definitely my modus operandi in Netrunner, where I adamantly refused to play NBN for example.

Gurrry

Damn Id love to play you with my rey/guigon deck. I played against Han/Rey last week at my local shop and the guy conceded after I beat Han. That was after going through second chance twice.

I feel like that deck in particular really relies on resource management and good rolls. Id love to see how you play it!

Hey guys, this probably isn't the best place to ask, but I don't know where else to look. Do we have a LFG on GAF for TTRPG's? I tried LFG on reddit but I don't seem to get any bites. Please help. :( Also, I have tried local shops but I am not free on weekdays. So, I can't attend there weeklies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn Id love to play you with my rey/guigon deck. I played against Han/Rey last week at my local shop and the guy conceded after I beat Han. That was after going through second chance twice.

I feel like that deck in particular really relies on resource management and good rolls. Id love to see how you play it!

Yeah I'm not saying your list, but Qui-Gon decks in general I haven't really had much trouble with. Only real danger this deck gets into is against super bursty lists (Vader/Raider, Jango/Anything) and occasionally mill (because the deck is at it's strongest when it's just burning through cards...and it's tough to rein yourself in sometimes :p). But against even slightly slower decks the mid-game of this deck is just so powerful. I actually think most of the mainline Han/Rey lists are really off, especially the Team Covenant one, but I did borrow the Jedi Robes idea from that which has been an amazing card. Also I'm saying that for my own playstyle -- I'm sure those lists I don't like might be much stronger with other playstyles.

But only one way to find out! I don't know if anyone plays TTS -- I was really skeptical about it until a put in a few dozen games and now I really love it for practice. I'm AstroLad on Steam if you get in on that. (Sorry Stooge, but I own several hundreds of dollars of Destiny stuff...and there's no other way to get regular practice! :p)

Edit: One thing I'm really dreading is Force Lightning for Blue Villain, which is already tied with Yellow Villain for clear top-tier imo, and FL represents a massive buff for them. At least I can Deflect it I suppose (as if that card wasn't auto-include enough already). I hope Heroes can at least keep up. :/ And no Never Tell Me the Odds doesn't count. I know people are falling over themselves for it just based on having it in the ideal scenario, but overall it's overcosted and it's not even that good in the best Yellow Hero deck (Han/Rey) for reasons I won't bore people with. :p I hope we don't have an NBN situation with Blue Villain where the designers just keep buffing up their favorite faction. :/

edit: dang it, just lost my first game, to tiny! to be fair it was on my lunch break and i got an urgent ping so was super distracted in last 10m and could have easily saved rey and helped han and probably won it b/c i took out his ackbar super early. i'll still count it though to take the (fake) pressure off :p. c'est la vie!

Neverfade

Hey guys, this probably isn't the best place to ask, but I don't know where else to look. Do we have a LFG on GAF for TTRPG's? I tried LFG on reddit but I don't seem to get any bites. Please help. :( Also, I have tried local shops but I am not free on weekdays. So, I can't attend there weeklies.

The consensus among boardgamers seems to be meetup.com as a good starting point. Many cities have groups set up through there.

EYEL1NER

I've been doing a shitty job learning Robinson Crusoe. I watched half of the Watch It Played video, I've flipped through the rulebook, I looked at some of the player aides (including the one linked here), and I've sat and stared at the components for a couple minutes while wondering what I should put the chits in after punching them. I'll start reading and then I get sidetracked and go check to see if the Portal Games store is back up so I can buy some Crusoe promos. Today my copy of Airborne Commander and playmat showed up and I started looking into obtaining Clank. Sigh... I'll have to dedicate all of tomorrow to learning it to be ready for Wednesday night, unless I just want it to be a Sherrif of Nottingham and Castles of Mad King Ludwig night. I think I'll punch it tonight and then just sit down and set the game up for the recommended mission and go from there.

Karkador

Banned
I've been doing a shitty job learning Robinson Crusoe. I watched half of the Watch It Played video, I've flipped through the rulebook, I looked at some of the player aides (including the one linked here), and I've sat and stared at the components for a couple minutes while wondering what I should put the chits in after punching them. I'll start reading and then I get sidetracked and go check to see if the Portal Games store is back up so I can buy some Crusoe promos. Today my copy of Airborne Commander and playmat showed up and I started looking into obtaining Clank. Sigh... I'll have to dedicate all of tomorrow to learning it to be ready for Wednesday night, unless I just want it to be a Sherrif of Nottingham and Castles of Mad King Ludwig night. I think I'll punch it tonight and then just sit down and set the game up for the recommended mission and go from there.

I remember the rules pretty well, do you want me to explain it?

EYEL1NER

I remember the rules pretty well, do you want me to explain it?
Well that depends, are you available on Wednesday night?
lol
No, that's alright. I should be fine once I get started. I got some good advice in here last week when it shipped regarding what player aides to use, whether I should play a solo mission first, which mission to start with. Last week when I asked I was intimidated but now I'm just disappointed that it's been here since Saturday and I haven't made time for it. I guess I'm still not really used to having a game group where I can immediately get a game to the table upon receiving it. I am used to getting a game in and having all the time in the world to get to it.
Oh well, now I'll be scrambling. I really shouldn't be concerning myself with ordering any promos for it yet or figuring out when a reprint for Clank! is arriving.

EYEL1NER

Okay, so I do have one question that I've come up with about Robinson Crusoe: I need two action discs per character, so each one will have a male sticker on one side and female sticker on the other, so that way you can flip them and have two of the same one? There are no instructions in the manual that I can see regarding which stickers go where and I've figured all of them out but the character discs. I don't want to wind up with a disc that has both female stickers for the cook on each side and a like-colored disc with just the male cook on both sides, right?

Okay, so I do have one question that I've come up with about Robinson Crusoe: I need two action discs per character, so each one will have a male sticker on one side and female sticker on the other, so that way you can flip them and have two of the same one? There are no instructions in the manual that I can see regarding which stickers go where and I've figured all of them out but the character discs. I don't want to wind up with a disc that has both female stickers for the cook on each side and a like-colored disc with just the male cook on both sides, right?

Each disc should have one side for each gender.

zulux21

I messed this up, so every game has one of each gender for every character. :p

I almost did that... it is still silly that they don't have instructions on how to place the stickers. I mean the rule book is already huge, what is the harm in one more page showing how to do up the stickers.

zulux21

Thanks. I figured if I screwed it up then I could order more stickers but the webstore is still down and I wanted to get the stickering and sorting done before going to sleep this morning.

if you screwed up it isn't a big deal... the stickers are just extra little things they aren't actually needed at all.

emag

The amateur card design, tiny pieces, rambling rulebook, and lack of any sort of central tracking board all make it more difficult to grok than need be, but three plays in we're finally getting the hang of Pax Renaissance.

We played mostly correctly (although we allowed emancipated serfs to repress existing concessions once or twice) and finished our 4P game in under 90 minutes with a Republic victory, with two other players about to declare Imperial and Religious victories on their turns. The last player was only a little further behind with the Commerce win condition (but only three comets had come out anyway). There was some interaction through taxation, repression, and regime changes/campaigns, but the only win condition that was directly contested was the Imperial condition (which is the most direct and natural).

I'm going to try to create and print out cheat sheets for our next play, though, as the rulebook still gets passed around a lot and the details of the multiple regime change actions are difficult to internalize. Hopefully armed with those we'll be more able to counter each other's positions strategically.

Experien

The consensus among boardgamers seems to be meetup.com as a good starting point. Many cities have groups set up through there.

I started a MeetUp and it worked well for finding people to play all sorts of games even outside of MeetUp. Even got an RPG going from people met through there.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Robinson Crusoe is back in stock...I still haven't gotten Gloomhaven to the table due to crazy work stuff. I am trying to justify the purchase of Robonsin Crusoe to myself right now in the airport. Compared to Mage Knight, how is he complexity of the game?

Karkador

Banned
Robinson Crusoe is back in stock...I still haven't gotten Gloomhaven to the table due to crazy work stuff. I am trying to justify the purchase of Robonsin Crusoe to myself right now in the airport. Compared to Mage Knight, how is he complexity of the game?

I haven't played mage knight, just gotten a feel for it from reviews and playthroughs. I would say RC is probably a lighter game overall. It's basically a worker placement game with some event decks and a scenario.

chifanpoe

I own both. They both can be brutal and crushingly hard to beat. The play mechanics of RC is lighter than MK. Both are great solo, but RC takes the multiplayer (2-4) crown between the two. RC is also a much faster game to play.

Draxal

My arcadia quest inferno kickstarter came in.

Holy shit are the dragons deceptively larger than what you thought thee would be.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Playing the second scenario in Dunwich Legacy for Arkham LCG tonight. Super excited because the first one was fantastic.

It's so hard to know what to buy. I'm pretty set on picking up Caverna and waiting for a reprint of A Feast For Odin. I know I will love both. I can buy Caverna today, but I could also grab the Arkham Horror LCG and Concordia. Caverna is pretty much the cost of 2 smaller games here. Arrg.

Top Bottom