• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Sorry, every single person I know with a smart phone locks their phone. And I don't know any teenagers these days that don't have smart phones.

And most people I know with smartphones don't. OH SHIT. If they really tried to identify him through his cell and it was locked, would they not have at least announced that?

I'm just not inclined to entertain Zoe's attempts at defending the cops and victim blaming the boy.

By posting non seqiturs that make no sense? Using logic and having a reasonable discussion about smartphones in 2012 doesn't mean that one is defending the cops overall actions. Don't go off the rails.

And most people I know with smartphones don't. OH SHIT. If they really tried to identify him through his cell and it was locked, would they not have at least announced that?

No reason they couldn't have asked neighbors either. Yeah god forbid Zoe the fucking cops ask around about it. Oh wait he couldn't have possibly lived there right?

Zoe

No reason they couldn't have asked neighbors either. Yeah god forbid Zoe the fucking cops ask around about it. Oh wait he couldn't have possibly lived there right?

On no, that wouldn't be traumatizing at all to other parents whose kids were out for the night.

Really? A kid is dead, they don't ask around, you compare this to DNA sampling? Reaching much?

No, I'm saying of all of the incredibly justified criticisms of this police department, we don't have to manufacture nonsense when there is a plethora of subpar to outright incompetent and or deliberate cover up to attack. You are getting nuts, but that's typical for you.

Zoe

Are you really comparing asking neighbors about the identification of a teenage boy to a fictional DNA analysis on a TV show? Really?

He wasn't a resident. His father wasn't even a resident. Was the father even aware the shooting had taken place?.

Onemic

He wasn't a resident. His father wasn't even a resident. Was the father even aware the shooting had taken place?.

His fiance was. Why would it even matter when the police wouldn't know this information that we have available now? They wouldn't know if he was a resident or not regardless, unless he had his ID. It's funny how all of your posts in this thread have been to blame Trayvon for his death or go against anything that would cast a negative light on zimmerman or the police department.

If they were not eye-witnesses, you can.

Keep witnesses to the same incident separated while waiting to interview them. Witnesses should not hear other accounts because they may be influenced by that information and mentally fill in parts of their observations based on what someone else may have seen or heard. It also may be helpful to ascertain whether witnesses have spoken with each other about the incident prior to being separated.

While the witnesses are waiting for the interview, keep them busy outlining the sequence of events or making a sketch of what they saw. Both assignments will help the witnesses remember important information about the event.

Never confuse your sources of information. Use a new page of notepaper for each new witness. Don't compare the prior testimony from previous witnesses with what the current witness is telling you during the interview.

Investigator bias refers to the process by which the investigator influences the interview. When your preferences and beliefs intrude into the interview, they are likely to produce erroneous information.

The behavior of the investigator when asking questions and recording answers affects the flow of information. Your act of jotting down an answer or not jotting it down may cause the witness to believe the subject is important or unimportant, causing them to expand on or stop talking about the topic. If you communicate, either verbally or nonverbally, that some facts are unimportant or that you do not believe what the witness is telling you, that witness is likely to stop offering vital information. Studies show that even the particular words you use, the way you phrase a question, or the sequence in which you ask questions can alter the way in which a witness remembers an event.

Be prepared to drop the filters that get in the way of effective listening. It is imperative that you become free enough of your own agenda to really hear someone else.

Bias is also introduced by investigator reaction to witness testimony. What ends up in your memory may not be what they told you. You may simply not hear some things that the witness might say, especially if those things run counter to your own attitudes, beliefs, opinions or preconceptions. You may edit an answer and store the characterization in your memory. Be sure to differentiate between what the witnesses say and how you hear and interpret their testimony. Any preconception as to the actual nature of a given report makes an investigator highly susceptible to errors in gathering the evidence.

Zoe

His fiance was. Why would it even matter when the police wouldn't know this information that we have available now? They wouldn't know if he was a resident or not regardless, unless he had his ID. It's funny how all of your posts in this thread have been to blame Trayvon for his death or go against anything that would cast a negative light on zimmerman or the police department.

Then what is your solution to IDing him? Let's assume his phone was unavailable.

KodMoS

Banned
The police weren't there when the events transpired. They aren't suppossed to 'correct' the witnesses. They are suppossed to interview them, and see which witnesses are more reliable.

If the police weren't there, who do you think they're going to look for first? The eyewitness. The witnesses who have only heard screaming cannot make a proper identification.

KodMoS

Banned
" I heard a child crying"

"No ma'am, you did not"

I hope to god you're never involved in anything remotely related to law, includIng sitting on a jury.

Seriously, I can't believe how many clueless people are on this thread.

Try this way.

EYEWITNESS:

Eyewitness: "I heard the man on the bottom screaming for help."

NON-EYEWITNESS

Witness: "I heard someone screaming for help"

Police: "Did you see who was screaming for help."

Witness: "No, but it sounded like a boy. I think it was the person who got shot."

KodMoS

Banned
No. You take witness testimonies as they are presented and compare them will all the other testimonies and evidence later.
Like I said, the key word is "corrected."

The officer told the witness, a long-time teacher, it was Zimmerman who cried for help, said the witness. ABC News has spoken to the teacher and she confirmed that the officer corrected her when she said she heard the teenager shout for help.”

Do you get it?

It can't be that difficult to understand. I'm not talking about evidence in general, I'm talking about a Witness being corrected.

How can this woman claim it was Trayvon crying for help when she did not see the actual event?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Seriously, I can't believe how many clueless people are on this thread.

Try this way.

EYEWITNESS:

Eyewitness: "I heard the man on the bottom screaming for help."

NON-EYEWITNESS

Witness: "I heard someone screaming for help"

Police: "Did you see who was screaming for help."

Witness: "No, but it sounded like a boy. I think it was the person who got shot."

Are you trolling? You must be. I mean, calling us clueless all while posting some retarded shit.

KodMoS

Banned

Read what I'm saying, I said correcting a Witness. She cannot identify his voice because she did not see the actual event.

If you had common sense, you should know that the woman's testimony is still considered evidence, especially if the eyewitnesses is proved to be untrustworthy.

KodMoS

Banned
If you're going to ignore Devolution's post on police investigative guidelines and continue pushing this crap you really don't deserve to be posting here, let alone having anyone respond to you.

You're a complete joke.

In other words, you cannot defend your initial argument, and now you're resorting to personal attacks. Nice try.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
In other words, you cannot defend your initial argument, and now you're resorting to personal attacks. Nice try.

says the guy who just launched one oh wow

you doin good work for this thread bro

Imm0rt4l

If you can come up with an logical answer, then do it.. Right now, it appears that you don't.

lol

Read what I'm saying, I said correcting a Witness. She cannot identify his voice because she did not see the actual event.

If you had common sense, you should know that the woman's testimony is still considered evidence, especially if the eyewitnesses is proved to be untrustworthy.

seriously your post is void of any kind of logic.

Wait, we find out the eyewitness isn't exactly trustworthy, everyone elses testimony contradicts his/hers, but good thing we corrected all those non eyewitnesses.

Corroboration, how doe sit work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom