• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida man wearing Trump hat arrested in fight over politics

WedgeX

Banned
Washington Post said:
A man from Florida wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat was arrested over the weekend after D.C. police said he beat three people near Dupont Circle during a heated argument over President Trump’s politics.

Police said that the 32-year-old suspect “straddled” one man “and pounded” him in the face 20 times with a closed fist and left and right forearms. Two others were also struck in the face when they intervened, police said.

Police identified the suspect as Louis Samuel Travieso, of Riverview, Fla., about 20 miles south of Tampa. Police charged him with three counts of felony assault, classifying the incident as a “suspected hate crime.” Prosecutors later reduced the charges to misdemeanors but did not indicate why.

Police said the fight occurred Saturday about 6:30 p.m. in the 1200 block of New Hampshire Avenue NW, outside a restaurant where both Travieso and the men had visited. But the argument that preceded the fight began inside after one of the men commented on Travieso’s hat. Police did not describe the exchange, but said a “heated political argument” ensued, and then ended, with Travieso leaving the restaurant with his family.

The affidavit says Travieso got into an Uber vehicle but by that time the men were outside and the argument resumed. Police said Travieso got out of the Uber at a red traffic light and attacked the three men. A police report says numerous bystanders reported Travieso as the aggressor.

Courtesy the Washington Post.

Florida Man out of his natural environment up here.

norm9

Those hats are essentially "Fight Me" signs at this point. Used to provoke unease and tension when worn in public.

Those hats are essentially "Fight Me" signs at this point. Used to provoke unease and tension when worn in public.

Yep, it is akin to driving down the road with a confederate flag. You are intentionally trying to illicit a response so you can go apeshit.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
He was arrested for assault, not his politics (I know you understand that, OP, not aimed at you).

Dude's lucky he didn't attack me, or he'd be swallowing that hat piece by fucking piece.

louiedog

I was shopping for a new running hat early this year. I wanted to get a red Adidas one because I like the look and it seemed good for visibility but I feel like it'd be a bad idea and I really don't want to be mistaken for a MAGA idiot.

Ferrio

Banned
I was shopping for a new running hat early this year. I wanted to get a red Adidas one because I like the look and it seemed good for visibility but I feel like it'd be a bad idea and I really don't want to be mistaken for a MAGA idiot.

He's ruined red hats for a long long time.

Being a NY'er I've seen lots of freaks and weirdos and never bat an eye. When somebody wears a MAGA hat I turn around, do a double check and say to myself "WTF is up with that guy?"

HylianTom

Banned
Those red hat people probably don't realize that Trump is almost universally reviled in D.C.
I pointed-out at a social gathering a few of the margins that Trump lost by in cities around the country. Believe it or not, many people don't realize how disliked he is within cities. I thought more people knew.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I was recently on D.C. for a week and I only saw one person with that repulsive symbol of hate, some teenager being loud and obnoxious.

Fuck outta Dupont Circle asshole. Alabama or Oklahoma is a better fit for you.

I've made comments to a couple of people in DC with that dumbass hat. They should be ridiculed everywhere they go in this area.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

seriously. You gotta be pretty ballsy or completely confident in your fighting skills to wear them.

shiba5

I pointed-out at a social gathering a few of the margins that Trump lost by in cities around the country. Believe it or not, many people don't realize how disliked he is within cities. I thought more people knew.

They probably think that because he's living here, we must be thrilled. (Arrested Development voice: They aren't.) Or, that there are enough tourists around, who love the Dumpster, to provide them some safety in numbers.

I wonder if they're brave enough to ride the Metro in that hat?

It depends, some Florida men are quite big, if you rush 3 guys as one big ole Florida man, and they're evidently peaceable minorities, you may be able to take them by surprise and get licks in.

I mean I personally extremely dislike fighting or fist fighting, as the thought of giving someone brain damage for life, over a dispute about, anything at all, isn't personally worth it to me.

I'd take a beating, even if I knew I could beat up the aggressor just because I don't want to be liable for brain damage charges.

Oddly enough, in my corner of Floriduh, only the olds wear MAGA hats, the young fascists stick with the classics, like the Confederate battle flag.

Too bad he wasn't in FL, there could have been a whole lotta standing your ground going on, on his dumb ass

I've seen folks flying full-size 3'x5' Trump flags from the backs of their trucks, so a hat is relatively small on the scale of things people will do to get attention for their Trump support.

Shadybiz

I have never seen someone in my neck of the woods wearing one, but if I did, I would just assume that the wearer is a moron, and proceed to pay them no mind.

He's ruined red hats for a long long time.

Bush ruined red hats in DC before Trump. The Washington Nationals baseball team logo is a script W, so Republicans in DC adopted the red hats as their own subtle reference to Dubya.

sibarraz

Banned
Are those hats sold in public? I can't imagine a comfortable street were you can see people buying one of those and not having some kind of reaction. It will really be like buying a confederate flag

A friend bought one as a joke when he travelled to the usa, but never bothered to ask him how he got one, is ironic considering that he is a latino

louiedog

Bush ruined red hats in DC before Trump. The Washington Nationals baseball team logo is a script W, so Republicans in DC adopted the red hats as their own subtle reference to Dubya.

Those specifically were ruined by their similarity to Walgreens.

Are those hats sold in public? I can't imagine a comfortable street were you can see people buying one of those and not having some kind of reaction. It will really be like buying a confederate flag

A friend bought one as a joke when he travelled to the usa, but never bothered to ask him how he got one, is ironic considering that he is a latino

I don't know where they get them, but I've seen tourists walking around on the National Mall (where the museums, monuments, and other important government buildings are in DC) wearing them.

Smh at assaulting people over politics, lot of people get riled-up by that :/

He was arrested for assault, not his politics (I know you understand that, OP, not aimed at you).

Dude's lucky he didn't attack me, or he'd be swallowing that hat piece by fucking piece.

Why do you need to scream "look at me, I am a tough guy" on a videogame forum?

I have never seen someone in my neck of the woods wearing one, but if I did, I would just assume that the wearer is a moron, and proceed to pay them no mind.

A few weeks ago I saw one in NYC running for the LIRR. I was shocked and by the speed the person was running either they were late for a train or afraid of being surrounded by the multicultural pot that is a NYC corner.

Top Bottom