• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck happened to Kanye's lyrical ability?

don't feed into the narrative that the Kardashians cause people to lose something or to go crazy. it doesn't help anything. he's been real about their relationship on record a few times. he's a different artist than he was before.

you can't claim someone should stay the same and still fault them for the people they include in their lives or surround themselves with. nothing stays the same. you just have to live your life with them.

yeezus is his masterpiece and it contains some of his worst lyrics ever. which is even crazier after coming off mbdtf. who listens to music for lyrics any more??

he started regressing in the order of his album release dates. dude and his ghostwriters were on fire his first two albums

College Dropout
Late Registration

regress a bit

Graduation
808s & Heartbreak

massive drop

MDBTF
Yeezus

haven't heard TLOP but looks like another stinker from Yeezy
You list makes no sense. 808s is less lyrical then MDBTF.. soooo nah.

yeezus is his masterpiece and it contains some of his worst lyrics ever. which is even crazier after coming off mbdtf. who listens to music for lyrics any more??

yeezus is trash so how is that his masterpiece? Obviously people listen to music for lyrics, did you not see kendricks sales for DAMN?

i don't think kanyes lyrics are worse.

he's a different person. his perspective have changed from the college dropout late registration days. he's leaned much more into absurdism, irony (in the largest sense of the word) rather than the social commentary or more structured and refined style of his earlier work. But the lyrics still to me are creative, memorable and representative of the artist.

I don't know of any other artist (probably kendrick) who when I listen to his work I feel his emotions and state of mind more. How ever absurd or grounded those emotions or state of mind are.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Fucking love his verse on spaceship

If my manager insults me again I will be assaulting him
After I fuck the manager up then I'm gonna shorten the register up
Let's go back, back to the Gap
Look at my check, wasn't no scratch
So if I stole, wasn't my fault
Yeah, I stole, never get caught
They take me to the back and pat me
Askin' me about some khakis
But let some black people walk in
I bet they show off their token blackie
Oh, now they love Kanye, let's put him all in the front of the store
So I'm on break next to the
'No Smoking' sign with a blunt in the mall
Takin' my hits, writin' my hits
Writin' my rhymes, playin' my mind
This fuckin' job can't help him
So I quit, y'all welcome
Y'all don't know my struggle
Y'all can't match my hustle
You can't catch my hustle
You can't fathom my love
Lock yourself in a room
Doin' five beats a day for three summers
That's a different world like Cree summers
I deserve to do these numbers
The kid that made that, deserves that Maybach
So many records in my basement
I'm just waitin' on my spaceship

this the greatest shit in the club
since in the club
it's so packed I might ride around on my bodyguard back
like prince in the club

this is a great line. I'm just gonna post Kanye lines now.

"Now if I fuck this model
And she just bleached her asshole
And I get bleach on my T-shirt
I'ma feel like an asshole"

whew!🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Yeezus is when that lyrical drop is first felt (and hard), but I liked the minimalist industrial instrumentals to damn much not to forgive him.

Life Of Pablo failed me on both fronts (later editions have a few songs I dug, but four tracks wasn't saving a whole album). "Facts" is the worst song he's ever made.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Kanye has always been a garbage to decent rapper. Dude is not famous for being a slick lyricist. If he wasn't godly when it comes to production he'd be nothing and no one would give a fuck who he was.

hughesta

Banned
TLOP works incredibly well when you look at it as an autobiography. He starts off as a religious man with his heart in the right place in ULB but as he gains fame (FSMH even has him reliving the car accident from pre-TCD) he loses his faith and becomes more and more hedonistic culminating in the utterly depraved Freestyle 4 before he has an epiphany in Waves and spends FML/Real Friends/Wolves realizing his mistakes and trying to right his wrongs and being a better man

Gorillaz

TLOP only works if you view it as a "best of" in terms of production but that can only go so far with some of the material on there

It took me 3 times to get past the bleached asshole line in the beginning because of how trash it is.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I listened to the Talib interview on Drink Champs recently and he told the story of first meeting Kanye and him having Jesus Walks and another one completely finished but planned out for his 2nd album which he'd already named, and this was before he was even signed to a label. If that's true then he put so much effort, hunger and passion into those early tracks but after that fell off/had no plan/idea of what to do, which aligns perfectly with my opinion that his first 2 albums are the only ones worth listening to.

LionPride

Banned
"Now if I fuck this model
And she just bleached her asshole
And I get bleach on my T-shirt
I'ma feel like an asshole"

whew!🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
You ain't do it right

NOW IF I FUCK THIS MODEL
AND SHE JUST BLEACHED HER ASSHOLE
AND I GET BLEACH ON MY T-SHIRT
IMMA FEEL LIKE AN ASSHOLE
I WAS HIGH WHEN I MET HER
WE WAS DOWN IN TRIBECA
SHE GET UNDER YOUR SKIN IF YOU LET HER
SHE GET UNDER YA
ION EEN WANNA TALK ABOUT

I listened to the Talib interview on Drink Champs recently and he told the story of first meeting Kanye and him having Jesus Walks and another one completely finished but planned out for his 2nd album which he'd already named, and this was before he was even signed to a label. If that's true then he put so much effort, hunger and passion into those early tracks but after that fell off/had no plan/idea of what to do, which aligns perfectly with my opinion that his first 2 albums are the only ones worth listening to.
Your opinion is false

Sorry

Yeezus lyrics are incredible, the vocals/flow/placement all come together and they're hilarious.
Pablo fails on all fronts lyrically for the most part aside from ULB, Pt.2, Famous, Waves, and the first part of FML plus each bonus except for Saint Pablo.

Zekes!

I'm not even gonna lie, I love TLoP. I might even put it Top 3. Definitely Top 4 for me, either way. The only albums better than it are The College Dropout, MBDTF, and probably Late Registration.

Ashhong

He never had any lyrical ability. And to be honest, he is so out of touch, selling his overpriced clothes and hanging with Kardashians, I doubt that he has anything interesting to say.

Nah.

Are you kidding me man? CD has some of the best lyrics in all of hip hop

Though apparently GLC was a huge ghostwriter for him so that might be why

Edit: or maybe it was rhymefest

Neith

Banned

This is such a ridiculous idea. Many people listen to music for lyrics. And in the rap genre even moreso this is true lol. You have various sites dedicated to extricating meaning from lyrics.

But in general lyrics are so bad these days. The poetry has become like 5th grade garbage level construction with no subtlety at all.

Kanye has some absolutely horrid stuff too.

But there are better rappers out there with better lyrics. It ain't the 90s anymore though that is for sure. Way too much conceited pop drama going on.

He probably knows we live in a culture where genius.com will spend days trying to find deep meaning in his pap and so doesn’t need to try.

Not that he’d be any good if he did. His music has always been garbage.

SKINNER!

Banned
Kanye was never a decent lyricist to begin with. So many cringy/bad lyrics in all his albums. Not even a top-tier rapper. Great producer though

All I know is... MBDTF and Yeezus is peak Ye.

Yeezus was the start of the decline. Can't understand how people are still listening to that album.

SKINNER!

Banned
MBDTF, Watch The Throne and Yeezus was peak Kanye... IMO

Shit, forgot about Watch The Throne. Yes, I agree. MBDTF and WTT was peak Kanye.

WTT is a shitty album

It's by no means a perfect album but the production is fantastic and - at times - Jay's and Kanye's bars compliment each other. The great tracks on this REALLY shines. No Church, N- in Paris, Otis, New Day, Welcome to the Jungle, Murder to Excellence.

You can at least see that Kanye is putting effort into his work.

GamerJM

Banned
He's never really been impressive lyrically (aside from maybe some tracks on MBDTF) and I feel like if he ever was it's only because his lyrical style was unique at the time.

overcast

Well he used to have his stuff mostly ghostwritten or at least he had a lot closer collaborations lyrically. Now he serves as a director of sorts of his albums and he clearly was the sole writer for a lot of Pablo.

SKINNER!

Banned
Well he used to have his stuff mostly ghostwritten or at least he had a lot closer collaborations lyrically.

This is also true. Was surprised when I discovered that Jesus Walks was not written by Kanye given how personal the song seems to be to him.

Catvoca

Banned
Slightly scratched your corolla -
Ok I smashed your corolla

Yeezus lyrics are dumb as hell but they're also hilarious. It still has some more serious gems in there too like
"doing clothes you would of thought I had help but they wasn't satisified unless I picked the cotton myself"

TLOP has a lot of trash lyrics but there's some ok stuff. I think he just rushes his shit now to the point where he doesn't spend nearly enough time writing.

Imm0rt4l

He never had any lyrical ability. And to be honest, he is so out of touch, selling his overpriced clothes and hanging with Kardashians, I doubt that he has anything interesting to say.

Nah.
This. He's never been much of a lyricist, he's gotten worse for sure though.

Top Bottom