• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck happened to Kanye's lyrical ability?

shandy706

I think I'm one of like 3 people on this board that always thought Kanye was awful.

I listen to basically every form of music on earth, always skipped him on the radio years ago and not a single song of his is in my thousands of tracks long playlists.

knavish

honest question.....when did Kanye have any decent bars? Like has he said anything that means anything to anyone (other than himself) ever?

Been Listening to quite a few Fire in the Booths and UK rappers smash Kanye's bars into oblivion.

I miss the old Kanye, straight from the Go Kanye
Chop up the soul Kanye, set on his goals Kanye
I hate the new Kanye, the bad mood Kanye
The always rude Kanye, spaz in the news Kanye
I miss the sweet Kanye, chop up the beats Kanye
I gotta say, at that time I'd like to meet Kanye
See, I invented Kanye, it wasn't any Kanyes
And now I look and look around and there's so many Kanyes
I used to love Kanye, I used to love Kanye
I even had the pink polo, I thought I was Kanye
What if Kanye made a song about Kanye
Called "I Miss The Old Kanye"? Man, that'd be so Kanye
That's all it was Kanye, we still love Kanye
And I love you like Kanye loves Kanye

That's why I will never quit him..... god. I miss the old Kayne.

A&Rs lookin like, "Psssh we messed up"
Grammy night damn right we got dressed up.
Bottle after bottle till we got messed up.
In the studio with Really Doe. Yeah he's next up.
People asking me if I'm gonna give my chain back.
That'll be the same day I give the game back.
You know the next question, "Dog, yo where Dame at?"
This track the Indian dance to bring our reign back.

I just care about those hot beats in hip hop and they've gotten better for Kanye. Never cared for verses, even in a lyrically centered genre like hip hop. I know I'm an extreme outlier as a hip hop fan. I feel totally out of place in hip hop discussion on this board because of it lol.

No you are not. Rap is outselling rock these days and it most definitely isn't doing so because of the lyrics.

TuXx

I view Kanye more as a song maker than a lyricist.

If you're solely judging him off lyrics then he's a bottom tier rapper

His first 4 albums are unbelievable but hasn't found that same magic since. I can't even say how many times I've listened to those albums (probably hundreds) and I'm not even a big fan of the genre in general (just reminds me how great they are).

hughesta

Banned
Yeezus is the perfect album.

TLOP isn't great lyrically (my earlier post in this thread sums up my thoughts on it) but it's still a great album.

Boogie9IGN

Admittedly, my best friend and I used to listen to Kanye on the way to school to laugh at the dumbass lyrics but man, Yeezy is easily my favorite contemporary artist

TLoP was so disappointing. I wanted to like it, I really did, but Famous is pretty much the only track I can say I actually enjoyed. I loved the lyrics of his earlier albums too, OP.

Top Bottom