• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

kevin1025

Banned
I just played through the first two cells of the HD section. That's the fantastic racer I remember! I got gold on all of them except for one of the last races in the Warped cell (silver isn't so bad!). I'll always have trouble on certain corners, not slowing down in time and flat out ramming head-on into them, though with some practice I'm sure it won't be as damaging, haha.

It looks insanely good, I'm playing on the Pro in 1080p and it looks crazy! That music, though... so perfect.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Now it's time to wait, GAME better not screw me over now they've removed all trace of the Steelbook version from their site, not even order says anything about the steelbook even thou it did before.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
That thread title lmao

spongebobicon.jpg

Mupod

never been that big of a Wipeout guy but I've dabbled in it since Fusion on the PS2, and later with the PSP/PS3 games. I like futuristic racers but I never got good at Wipeout like I did with F-Zero.

had just enough sitting in my PSN wallet to buy this, so why not. Definitely feel like a racing game right about now. Maybe this time it'll really click with me, who knows!

Shoeless

never been that big of a Wipeout guy but I've dabbled in it since Fusion on the PS2, and later with the PSP/PS3 games. I like futuristic racers but I never got good at Wipeout like I did with F-Zero.

had just enough sitting in my PSN wallet to buy this, so why not. Definitely feel like a racing game right about now. Maybe this time it'll really click with me, who knows!

Be patient with yourself. Wipeout doesn't have much in the way of training wheels, so get a feel for it on the lower difficulty levels first, where the time requirements for passing are more forgiving. This is one of those old school games where you feel like you've hit a brick wall for a while and then, one day, it unexpectedly all comes together, and you're taking turns properly, boosting when you want to and the elegance of the came makes itself known, but it can be a brutal road to that.

Great OT. Going to pick this up on my lunch break tomorrow. I've been playing a bit of Pure over the weekend to get in the zone (ha!) and I can't wait.

Temascos

Neo Member
Original UK devs make the game, get closed down, releases a day later in the UK.

Sony hates freedom.

#Brexit

Wait, did the Cool Beans team close down or are you referring to Studio Liverpool?

Amped to play the 2048 tracks in glorious 60fps. It just felt a bit off on the Vita at 30fps, shame as they were great tracks.

Griss

Love the track listing in the OP. I bought and played Pure, HD Fury and 2048, but honestly I've forgotten the PSP one - it was HD Fury and 2048 that I loved.

So does anyone have a list of which tracks in HD Fury are from which PSP game? Were the PSP games even any good?

I was torn on picking this up as I've played the old ones to death but at only 35 euros I think that's low enough to make it a must purchase. The idea of seeing that super-clean art style in 4k on my PS4 Pro doesn't hurt - HD Fury was fucking drop-dead gorgeous for it's time.

StoneFox

Did you have to pre-order to get the themes or are they separate? I won't be able to buy the game for a while but I would love to have the themes when I do.

I just played through the first two cells of the HD section. That's the fantastic racer I remember! I got gold on all of them except for one of the last races in the Warped cell (silver isn't so bad!). I'll always have trouble on certain corners, not slowing down in time and flat out ramming head-on into them, though with some practice I'm sure it won't be as damaging, haha.

It looks insanely good, I'm playing on the Pro in 1080p and it looks crazy! That music, though... so perfect.

This is great to hear, glad you are enjoying it. With comments like this and the reviews I simply had to put in my pre-order. Can't wait to dig into it!

Shin-Ra

What is the lowest confirmed resolution on PS4 pro?
If there's any mid-race dynamic res changes, I can honestly say I haven't noticed them viewing normally on my 4K TV. Super solid frame rate and no tearing.

However, with motion blur enabled you get sharp native 4K with no, or barely effective anti-aliasing. With motion blur disabled, you get native 4K with a very strong helping of MSAA/EQAA.

Playing both ways, I've found I greatly prefer the AA'd image with motion blur off.

Still mad about no VR support. Zone mode in VR would be amazing.

Due to this grievous omission, I'm holding off on buying WOC.

I get where you're coming from, but I think it's fair to say that you're guaranteed to never see another Wipeout, let alone a VR one, if this doesn't do too hot. If you're interested in what's there, it's a good buy.

Didn't say I'm not buying it. Will eventually get it.

However, after having played F-Zero GX and WipeOut Fusion or whatever it was called in VR via emulator, I NEED TO EXPERIENCE ZONE MODE LIKE THIS.

Greenymac

I think this game would make me vomit in VR....However I'd still like to try it out, but not for serious piloting sessions....

Temascos

Neo Member
Studio Liverpool RIP.

Ah yes, I understand why SL was closed down but it seemed like they were set up to fail a bit with a digital only Wipeout at the time followed by the Vita release. They needed a bombastic release like this to hype people up and it didn't happen.

Hopefully this does well and the series gets handed over to a good developer, or at least this game gets more support down the line (However likely or unlikely that may be).

Shin-Ra

Love the track listing in the OP. I bought and played Pure, HD Fury and 2048, but honestly I've forgotten the PSP one - it was HD Fury and 2048 that I loved.

So does anyone have a list of which tracks in HD Fury are from which PSP game? Were the PSP games even any good?

I was torn on picking this up as I've played the old ones to death but at only 35 euros I think that's low enough to make it a must purchase. The idea of seeing that super-clean art style in 4k on my PS4 Pro doesn't hurt - HD Fury was fucking drop-dead gorgeous for it's time.
Click through the track names and it lists which PSP game it was updated from:

http://wipeout.wikia.com/wiki/Wipeout_HD#Tracks

The PSP games looked fantastic for the portable hardware but 30fps with dips for most of the tracks, nub analog control and longer loadtimes limited the playability compared to WipEout HD.

angelic

Banned
Now it's time to wait, GAME better not screw me over now they've removed all trace of the Steelbook version from their site, not even order says anything about the steelbook even thou it did before.

this would concern me, they often post the steelbooks separately, and shopto + amazon are sold out of it too. Grainger games still seem to have some.

Vally

Excellent OT, well done.

(thanks for the shout out)

What does the "NEW CAMPAIGN" bit under Fury mean? Did I miss something?

Sorry, that bit can be a bit confusing and maybe you thought that Omega collection has a brand new campaign for Fury; I just meant that Fury adds an additional campaign different from the one in Wipeout HD

Awesome OT. Cannot wait to play. I watched a Gamersyde video, I feel like I'm 12 again. This is so great, I can't wait.

You forgot this edition available at Base:

Yep I forgot to include that picture, just added it. Thanks!

Dude... Literally every track in HD Fury was from the PSP games (Pure and Pulse). The PSP games were awesome.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
this would concern me, they often post the steelbooks separately, and shopto + amazon are sold out of it too. Grainger games still seem to have some.
Well I got the Game pre order because someone said GAME posted that the steelbooks would come with the classic sleeve too and ShopTo has never had stock unless you preordered the steelbook beforehand.
I'm just hoping that it just means you can't order it now and all preorders are atleast steelbooks.
Especially considering everywhere else is cheaper.
I have have them for false advertising if I don't get a steelbook Wednesday lol.

Sorry, that bit can be a bit confusing and maybe you thought that Omega collection has a brand new campaign for Fury; I just meant that Fury adds an additional campaign different from the one in Wipeout HD

No problem, just my wishful thinking getting the better of me.

Any more impressions from people with early copies or you guys too busy setting track times for us to beat?

Purexed

Banned
Is "Dynamic 4K" Sony's buzzword for checkerboard rendering? What does that mean exactly, I'm guessing it's not native.

robotrock

Banned
Is "Dynamic 4K" Sony's buzzword for checkerboard rendering? What does that mean exactly, I'm guessing it's not native.

Dynamic resolution. The game aims to render at native 3840x2160, but the resolution will drop at times in order to maintain the 60fps framerate.

Wipeout HD/Fury on PS3 did the same thing but it was aiming for 1920x1080 instead of 3840x2160.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Harimau represent! dozensofus.gif

Purexed

Banned
Dynamic resolution. The game aims to render at native 3840x2160, but the resolution will drop at times in order to maintain the 60fps framerate.

Wipeout HD/Fury on PS3 did the same thing but it was aiming for 1920x1080 instead of 3840x2160.

Gotcha, thanks.

Digital pre-order done. HD Fury was one of my favorite games on the PS3 and tbh it still looked great when I played it earlier this year. Not expecting a big visual leap but I'm stoked for the tracks from 2047 and to finally maybe grasp the Phantom class.

I bought 2048 and the dlc so not much new content for me here other than the soundtrack but I haven't really played anything that's showed what my 4k tv can do yet and if this means there's more than a 0.1 percent chance of an original installment it's my duty to get this.

I bought 2048 and the dlc so not much new content for me here other than the soundtrack but I haven't really played anything that's showed what my 4k tv can do yet and if this means there's more than a 0.1 percent chance of an original installment it's my duty to get this.

That's the spirit.

Top Bottom