• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Fighting Collection Announced

SkylineRKR

SvC Chaos was a disappointment imo. I think the graphics were okay, though gritty. This was done on the ancient MVS hardware and I think the game absolutely didn't look bad or something. It was novel to see the likes of Ryu and Chun Li in SNK style on MVS hardware.

But where it fell flat imo was the gameplay and balance. I just didn't stick with it for long. I have to say though the roster was amazing. I mean, there is Zero from MM, Mars People from Slug, Red Arremer. Tessa. Some ballsy choices.

The game fell of rather quickly I remember, not many really liked it when it came out. I think CvS2 is the best one, and its a shame a HD upgrade never came through. Its locked to old hardware or a shitty PS2 conversion.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The gallery is this game is much more extensive than I expected. It's very cool looking at all of the artwork and concept art.

Also, does anyone know where it stores your save data on Steam? I just wanna make a backup of my data.

Last edited:
The gallery is this game is much more extensive than I expected. It's very cool looking at all of the artwork and concept art.

Also, does anyone know where it stores your save data on Steam? I just wanna make a backup of my data.
I might of course be wrong, but from quick experimentation to help you with your question, I think it's

C:\Program FIles (x86)\Steam\userdata\<your user id>\1685750

There are two things there:
- A directory named "remote"
- A file called "remotecache.vdf"

Inside the "remote" directory is a file called "savedata.bin" -- I think that's ultimately what you want, but to be safe I would just copy the "remote" directory and the "remotecache.vdf" file.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I might of course be wrong, but from quick experimentation to help you with your question, I think it's

C:\Program FIles (x86)\Steam\userdata\<your user id>\1685750

There are two things there:
- A directory named "remote"
- A file called "remotecache.vdf"

Inside the "remote" directory is a file called "savedata.bin" -- I think that's ultimately what you want, but to be safe I would just copy the "remote" directory and the "remotecache.vdf" file.
Thanks!

Neo_Geo

Banned
With the odd and random selection of games on here, it looks like Capcom is trying to drag this out into at least 10 collections total.

MMMMIIIILLLLKKKK!!

Already have all of these tucked away as ROMs in my own collection, no need for further bleeding money to you for old as fuck shit, Capcom.

With the odd and random selection of games on here, it looks like Capcom is trying to drag this out into at least 10 collections total.

MMMMIIIILLLLKKKK!!

Already have all of these tucked away as ROMs in my own collection, no need for further bleeding money to you for old as fuck shit, Capcom.
jonah-hill.gif

Celcius

°Temp. member

MMMMIIIILLLLKKKK!!

Can you play online with your ROMs? Nope.
Plus the collection has fun things like the in-game achievements and gallery.

I love this image. They were smart in making it the cover of the Saturn version of the game.

Very prominently featured is one of my favorite video game characters ever: Bulleta. (I forget her name in the English version... you know, the Little Red Riding Hood chick.)

cggho2R.jpg

I hate to be that guy but the tune labeled "Character Select (Super Street Fighter II Turbo)" is not that; it's the tune from Super Street Fighter II. The SSF2 Turbo version of the character select theme is different and is a slight remix of the World Warrior theme.

lDtUIFR.jpg

Which reminds me... the console versions of Hyper Street Fighter II allowed you to choose between 3 kinds of tunes -- a choice that, sadly, this arcade version does not offer:
- Remixed -- I think this was the default option, they were the slightly remixed tunes from the 3DO version of Super Street Fighter II X
- CPS2 -- The standard tunes for Super Street Fighter II and X.
- CPS1 -- The tunes for the first three versions of the game (World Warrior, Dash, and Hyper Fighting). The cool thing about this is that the tunes for the CPS2-only characters (Cammy, Fei Long, T-Hawk, DeeJay, and Gouki) got remixed down to sound CPS1-like.

SkylineRKR

I played this a fair bit online today. The netcode is absolutely good. I got a handful of matches in Savior, Savior 2 and Hunter. There is no hidden select or anything, its bare bones but it works. What I do know is that I like fighters did away with Turbo mode. I am used to fighting at turbo 1. Some guys pick normal speed and it feels completely different.

Players are decent, everyone seems to know their movesets and they also use reversals etc. I could still land a chain into Liliths raging demon, and ended a few matches with Anakaris' 2 bar super. Feels good. I should use down attacks more often though.

Anyway, the problem is that the matchmaking takes long, because of lack of activity. This isn't crossplay I presume? Idiotic if so. Another problem is the amount of revisions, perhaps they should've included a complete version like Saturn/PSP, and only that one with online play. Idk.

And I also found out I prefer Saviors rules. I just like the flow of 2 health bars better than a full restart, it keeps the pace high and I sometimes still lost after leading quite a bit. I was matched up last in Hunter, and after scraping round 1 I thought well I go down anyw... wait no this game has full restarts lol.

Last edited:
Another problem is the amount of revisions, perhaps they should've included a complete version like Saturn/PSP, and only that one with online play. Idk.
Hmmm, be careful what you wish for. They tried this for the Street Fighter 30th and a lot of people were unhappy. The approach Capcom took there was to give online only to the latest (and in each case, arguably the most popular) game in a series. So:

- Hyper Fighting for the CPS1 Street Fighter II series
- Super X for the CPS2 Street Fighter II series
- Zero 3
- Third Strike

I've read that for example, Dash/Champion Edition is huge in Brazil, so that one not having online disappointed them. Also Zero 2 has a lot of fans everywhere so that one not having online also pissed off a lot of people. Etc etc...

So you can have a "Vampire Savior Saturn Version" but then the Vampire Hunter fans or even the Vampire Savior arcade purists will be pissed that "their game" has no online matchmaking.

And I also found out I prefer Saviors rules. I just like the flow of 2 health bars better than a full restart, it keeps the pace high and I sometimes still lost after leading quite a bit. I was matched up last in Hunter, and after scraping round 1 I thought well I go down anyw... wait no this game has full restarts lol.
Can't agree more, and wish more fighting games took this approach.

SkylineRKR

Yeah I was gutted too about that because I am a fan of Hyper Fighting (it did have online? Then it was A2 and Second Impact), but when they're all dead anyway there is little point. I think whats good though is that you can queue up for all games simultanously. I selected Hunter, VS, VS2 and Hunter 2. And I got fights in all of them. But yeah, then I see its Savior 1, awesome game, lets select Donovan.. or lets not.

This needs crossplay.

Last edited:

yurinka

MMMMIIIILLLLKKKK!!

They are a company who own a business and you are stealing them by pirating their games. You shouldn't own these roms.

And nobody forces you to buy their collections, if you don't like them simply don't buy them. They are free to do and sell them and same goes for people interested to buy them. It's important for gaming history to preserve these games in modern consoles and better if they come with nice extras like online multiplayer, a great gallery and so on.

Yeah I was gutted too about that because I am a fan of Hyper Fighting (it did have online? Then it was A2 and Second Impact), but when they're all dead anyway there is little point. I think whats good though is that you can queue up for all games simultanously. I selected Hunter, VS, VS2 and Hunter 2. And I got fights in all of them. But yeah, then I see its Savior 1, awesome game, lets select Donovan.. or lets not.

This needs crossplay.
As I remmber this collection doesn't feature Hyper Fighting, but instead features Hyper Street Fighter II. As I remember Hyper Fighting was included (with online, but I think that without crossplay) in SF 30th Anniversary Collection.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I think this is probably my weakest purchase this year, I thought there would be some people online to play vampire saviour with or atleast puzzle fighter, but the game is beyond dead online.

I can still boot up 30th anniversary and play third strike almost any time off day.

Yeah I was gutted too about that because I am a fan of Hyper Fighting (it did have online? Then it was A2 and Second Impact),
Yeah that's right, Hyper Fighting had online, Zero 2 and Second Impact didn't.

But yeah, then I see its Savior 1, awesome game, lets select Donovan.. or lets not.
LMAO... Dude, way back in the day I used to main Donovan. Because I started playing this game on the Saturn, years later when I finally played the arcade version, I was like wait where's Donovan!? 😂

This needs crossplay.
Yeah this is a good point.

They are a company who own a business and you are stealing them by pirating their games. You shouldn't own these roms.

And nobody forces you to buy their collections, if you don't like them simply don't buy them. They are free to do and same goes for people interested on them to buy them. It's important for gaming history to preserve them in modern consoles and better if they come with nice extras like online multiplayer, a great gallery and so on.
That guy is a moron and kudos to you for giving him way more of a response than he deserved.

As I remmber this collection doesn't feature Hyper Fighting, but instead features Hyper Street Fighter II. As I remember Hyper Fighting was included (with online, but I think that without crossplay) in SF 30th Anniversary Collection.
Right. SkylineRKR SkylineRKR was talking about the Street Fighter 30th.

Random comment: by the way, starting with Capcom Arcade Stadium, all Street Fighter II games have very minor aesthetic changes. So for me, not seeing the Japanese rising sun in E. Honda's stage is still... weird.

S0ULZB0URNE

I think this is probably my weakest purchase this year, I thought there would be some people online to play vampire saviour with or atleast puzzle fighter, but the game is beyond dead online.

I can still boot up 30th anniversary and play third strike almost any time off day.
They can alleviate this somewhat by adding crossplay.

Maybe they can add the infrastructure that SF6 netcode is using?

yurinka

Random comment: by the way, starting with Capcom Arcade Stadium, all Street Fighter II games have very minor aesthetic changes. So for me, not seeing the Japanese rising sun in E. Honda's stage is still... weird.
I was aware of the SF2 changes in Capcom Arcade Stadium. For what I read it's because the red sun flag is seen as related controversial from people from countries like Chinese or Korea, who got fucked by the Japanese military imperialism in the past so maybe they changed it because of that. Is this change in the newest collection too? Does the new collection feature new changes?

Fun fact: Capcom did similar changes in their original arcade SF2 games. Notice the Spanish flag in the original SF2 The World Warrior 1991 release:
image.png

It's the Spanish flag we had during the fascist dictatorship we had in Spain that lasted until 1975 and killed many thousands of people who were asking for democacry:
Flag_of_Spain_%281945%E2%80%931977%29.svg

In 1975 in theory the dictatorship ended when the dictator die and we moved to a -in theory- democracy (we're like sort of democracy but have a king -set as his successor by the dictator before dying- ruling the country and the army, and we can't vote him or the Catholic church out or the power) where most parties are ruled by local olygarchies and mostly the EU and US governments. This is the Spanish flag we have for the current monarchic "democracy" of Spain since 1975:

Bandera_de_Espa%C3%B1a.svg

Maybe back in 1991 people at Capcom didn't know about it and without internet, when looking for flags of countries got an old book that didn't have the current flag. So they updated the flag in the 1993 arcade release of Super SF2 The New Challengers when they remade the map and character selection screen with new visuals when moving the series to a CPS2 arcade board, and that flag remained for later newer SF iterations:

image.png

But the old Spanish flag is back in the SF2 World Warrior version included in Capcom Arcade Stadium. I think it's right what they did with the Spanish flag, but not what they did with the Japanese flag. I think that if they spotted a mistake is ok to fix it for upcoming games (like no using these flags in newer games like Ultra SF2, SFV or SF6), but that the old games should be preserved as they originally were.

As a Spanish who wants a democracy I don't like to see the old flag in games, but in this case for me it's ok to keep it there because because it's part of gaming history and I'd like to preserve SF2 as it originally was.

Last edited:
I was aware of the SF2 changes in Capcom Arcade Stadium. For what I read it's because the red sun flag is seen as related controversial from people from countries like Chinese or Korea, who got fucked by the Japanese military imperialism in the past so maybe they changed it because of that. Is this change in the newest collection too? Does the new collection feature new changes?

Fun fact: Capcom did similar changes in their original arcade SF2 games. Notice the Spanish flag in the original SF2 The World Warrior 1991 release:
image.png

It's the Spanish flag we had during the fascist dictatorship we had in Spain that lasted until 1975 and killed many thousands of people who were asking for democacry:
Flag_of_Spain_%281945%E2%80%931977%29.svg

In 1975 in theory the dictatorship ended when the dictator die and we moved to a -in theory- democracy (we're like sort of democracy but have a king -set as his successor by the dictator before dying- ruling the country and the army, and we can't vote him or the Catholic church out or the power) where most parties are ruled by local olygarchies and mostly the EU and US governments. This is the Spanish flag we have for the current monarchic "democracy" of Spain since 1975:

Bandera_de_Espa%C3%B1a.svg

Maybe back in 1991 people at Capcom didn't know about it and without internet, when looking for flags of countries got an old book that didn't have the current flag. So they updated the flag in the 1993 arcade release of Super SF2 The New Challengers when they remade the map and character selection screen with new visuals when moving the series to a CPS2 arcade board, and that flag remained for later newer SF iterations:

image.png

But the old Spanish flag is back in the SF2 World Warrior version included in Capcom Arcade Stadium. I think it's right what they did with the Spanish flag, but not what they did with the Japanese flag. I think that if they spotted a mistake is ok to fix it for upcoming games (like no using these flags in newer games like Ultra SF2, SFV or SF6), but that the old games should be preserved as they originally were.

As a Spanish who wants a democracy I don't like to see the old flag in games, but in this case for me it's ok to keep it there because because it's part of gaming history and I'd like to preserve SF2 as it originally was.
I love learning facts like this. Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: In both screenshots it's Ryu about to fight Claw. It's too "symmetrical"/coincidental to find so easily on the Internet, so I'm assuming you took these screenshots yourself?

EDIT 2: Your anecdote is excellent, makes me wonder why they changed the Spanish flag, but didn't change, say, the USSR flag to the Russian Federation flag... By the time Super came out in 1993, the Soviet Union had been dust for a couple of years... I think for Gief they didn't update the flag until Street Fighter IV.

Last edited:

yurinka

I love learning facts like this. Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: In both screenshots it's Ryu about to fight Claw. It's too "symmetrical"/coincidental to find so easily on the Internet, so I'm assuming you took these screenshots yourself?

EDIT 2: Your anecdote is excellent, makes me wonder why they changed the Spanish flag, but didn't change, say, the USSR flag to the Russian Federation flag... By the time Super came out in 1993, the Soviet Union had been dust for a couple of years... I think for Gief they didn't update the flag until Street Fighter IV.
You're welcome. I searched for video walkthroughs of these games for the arcade version of the game and took a screenshot of where they were going to face Vega. It's coincidental that they were playing with Ryu, I only was looking at the flag here.

The USSR ended in 1991, after SF2 World Warrior was released. Back then in 1993, when SSFII was release maybe was still too recent or were still transitioning to the current federation. Or well, in terms of lore SSFII was rewriting the events of SFII World Warrior, set in 1991.

Years later they included Zangief in Street Fighter Alpha 2 but was from the USSR. But inside the lore, SFA2 happens between SF1 and SF2 (so aprox. late '80s) so it makes sense to be the USSR.

image.png

Then Zangief appeared again in SFIV, set in the lore between SF2 (set in 1991) and SF3 (set around 10 years after SF2) and he correctly had the new flag.
image.png

So seems that with Zangief they kept it let's say 'historically accurate'. And well, in the SF2 Zangief ending they even had Gorgachev dancing etc, which I think it would be a bit more complicated to change. And well, I think that to put Putin there in the recent collections would have caused a giant controversy xDDD

image.png

image.png

image.png

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This Fighting Collection is a fine way to commemorate an important anniversary, and to make some classics previously lost to time available to modern audiences — but ultimately, it is very much preaching to the choir. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Random trivia that only InfiniteCombo cares about:

In Darkstalkers, the werewolf character is known as "Jon Talbain," which itself is inspired by/a play on Sir Jon Talbot, who is a character in the classic movie "Wolf Man."

In the Japanese ("Vampire") versions, he's called "Gallon."
  • It is NOT meant to be pronounced "gallon" as in "gallon of milk"
  • It IS meant to be pronounced "Garon," which approximates "Garō," which is the Japanese word for "hungry wolf" (think of, for example, the Fatal Fury series, which in Japan is known as "Garō Densetsu" or "Legend of the Hungry Wolf")

This has been your random trivia of the day :messenger_tears_of_joy:

UjRw2Sj.jpg

Is it possible to play Street Fighter II on a slower "turbo" speed online?

I really want to play SF2 online but I hate the really fast speed on Turbo

I know I am about a year late to this, but this collection is awesome.

The graphics filters are good, the sound on everything is crisp, and it even managed to miraculously port a good version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo (with difficulty select working properly and inputs being responsive) to my surprise after 20+ years of flawed ports. I love all the options, clean interface, menus, moves lists, and special/super buttons for when I am just not feeling like doing a ton of precise inputs. The games in the collection are diverse and very fun.

It really highlights how much of a hack job Street Fighter 30th Anniversary is. The CPS1 and CPS2 sound emulation is downright embarassing with CPS3 emulation feeling muffled. There are hardly any dipswitch-type setting and graphics options are limited to raw pixels, a blurry mess, or a poor CRT imitation. Its only saving grace for me is native widescreen Street Fighter III: Second Impact finally getting a decent port.

Pretty happy to get all this stuff in a $40 bundle at the end of the day. Still need to explore Darkstalkers selection more to see if there is any version that really resonates with me.

P.S. If there was a Darkstalkers revival, I would much prefer French-Bread (known for Under Night In-Birth and Melty Blood) to make it rather than the cookie cutter fighter factory of Arc System Works.

Last edited:
I know I am about a year late to this, but this collection is awesome.

The graphics filters are good, the sound on everything is crisp, and it even managed to miraculously port a good version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo (with difficulty select working properly and inputs being responsive) to my surprise after 20+ years of flawed ports. I love all the options, clean interface, menus, moves lists, and special/super buttons for when I am just not feeling like doing a ton of precise inputs. The games in the collection are diverse and very fun.

It really highlights how much of a hack job Street Fighter 30th Anniversary is. The CPS1 and CPS2 sound emulation is downright embarassing with CPS3 emulation feeling muffled. There are hardly any dipswitch-type setting and graphics options are limited to raw pixels, a blurry mess, or a poor CRT imitation. Its only saving grace for me is Widescreen native Street Fighter III: Second Impact finally getting a decent port.

Pretty happy to get all this stuff in a $40 bundle at the end of the day. Still need to explore Darkstalkers selection more to see if there is any version that really resonates with me.
I am thrilled to have Darkstalkers games finally

Labolas

P.S. If there was a Darkstalkers revival, I would much prefer French-Bread (known for Under Night In-Birth and Melty Blood) to make it rather than the cookie cutter fighter factory of Arc System Works.
I'd be down for this but I don't know if Capcom is willing to revive DS/VS.

Knightime_X

Sadly, the online is almost entirely dead. :messenger_pensive:
This WAS the game to test the waters to see if there was still any interest in Darkstalkers.
The best DS can hope for now is guest appearances in other games.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

This was ultimately a great collection. I played a ton of Darkstalkers online, though it was never flooded with people. I even modded my HRAP with sanwa and octo gate so I could play Vampire Savior perfectly with stick. Its great. VS is maybe the best 2D fighter of all. Its diverse cast of characters, moves, responsive controls, animations, music, pacing and atmosphere are all perfect. I would also switch to VS2 and VH2 a lot depending on the characters I wanted to play. VH2 is criminally good, it has the best of VH and VS. But you'll miss out on Jedah, Lilith and Q-Bee.

Red Earth is trash, but I knew from emulation. I just don't like it. I rather play something like Final Fight or Eco Fighters. The rest of the collection is okay, but I mainly bought it for the Vampire Hunter and Savior games.

Capcom is absolutely milking, these same games are available in their arcade stadium but then without any extras and no online play.

What do you like about Vampire Hunter 2? I kind of hate it. Out of that set it is the only one to have a missing character slot. It is missing the Dark Force unique moves from Vampire Savior, it removed air combos, and completely reverted the roster and arcade ladder to Night Warriors. It felt like a step backwards in every way for me. I also think Night Warriors was more visually cohesive with the cast showing up in their intended stages.

Out of all of them I strongly prefer the original Vampire Savior. Only thing it is missing for me is Donovan, which would have been a better use of a roster slot than Sasquatch. However, having Rikuo, Talbain, B.B. Hood, Lilith, and Jedah together is awesome.

Last edited:
So you're saying that $60 for 22 games in a bundle that works out to be $2.73 each is expensive? Stop gaming.

🤦🏾‍♂️ If you're only interested in 2 of the games, you still have to pay $60 to play them. Let's not pretend you're playing all of them or even half of them.

PJX

🤦🏾‍♂️ If you're only interested in 2 of the games, you still have to pay $60 to play them. Let's not pretend you're playing all of them or even half of them.
But that isn't their problem. That's a you problem. I've bought both collections and I've played every single game in them. Don't make silly assumptions.

Last edited:
But that isn't their problem. That's a you problem. I've bought both collections and I've played every single game in them. Don't make silly assumptions.
You chose to spend that much. I chose not to. There is no problem. Just you justifying your purchase for some reason.

MMMMIIIILLLLKKKK!!

My thoughts exactly. Ideally, they'd be offered separately so you can buy the titles you're interested in

These collections are usually discounted during monthly sales and for Steam/Xbox digital keys are often available for even cheaper.

Last edited:
You're welcome. I searched for video walkthroughs of these games for the arcade version of the game and took a screenshot of where they were going to face Vega. It's coincidental that they were playing with Ryu, I only was looking at the flag here.

The USSR ended in 1991, after SF2 World Warrior was released. Back then in 1993, when SSFII was release maybe was still too recent or were still transitioning to the current federation. Or well, in terms of lore SSFII was rewriting the events of SFII World Warrior, set in 1991.

Years later they included Zangief in Street Fighter Alpha 2 but was from the USSR. But inside the lore, SFA2 happens between SF1 and SF2 (so aprox. late '80s) so it makes sense to be the USSR.

image.png

Then Zangief appeared again in SFIV, set in the lore between SF2 (set in 1991) and SF3 (set around 10 years after SF2) and he correctly had the new flag.
image.png

So seems that with Zangief they kept it let's say 'historically accurate'. And well, in the SF2 Zangief ending they even had Gorgachev dancing etc, which I think it would be a bit more complicated to change. And well, I think that to put Putin there in the recent collections would have caused a giant controversy xDDD

image.png

image.png

image.png
Ive always seen many older game series to be flexible with timeline continuity ....kinda like comic books. I like how older games dont have strict cannon and wish newer games would do the same but everything new has such a strict story narrative these days. I think some series ....especially the more cartoony they get, benefit from it.

This was ultimately a great collection. I played a ton of Darkstalkers online, though it was never flooded with people. I even modded my HRAP with sanwa and octo gate so I could play Vampire Savior perfectly with stick. Its great. VS is maybe the best 2D fighter of all. Its diverse cast of characters, moves, responsive controls, animations, music, pacing and atmosphere are all perfect. I would also switch to VS2 and VH2 a lot depending on the characters I wanted to play. VH2 is criminally good, it has the best of VH and VS. But you'll miss out on Jedah, Lilith and Q-Bee.

Red Earth is trash, but I knew from emulation. I just don't like it. I rather play something like Final Fight or Eco Fighters. The rest of the collection is okay, but I mainly bought it for the Vampire Hunter and Savior games.

Capcom is absolutely milking, these same games are available in their arcade stadium but then without any extras and no online play.
I would genuinely like to know what I am overlooking in Vampire Hunter 2 that makes it the cream of the crop for you...

Top Bottom