• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just came across this:

The Sith constructed a shrine on the planet Coruscant over five thousand years before the rise of the Galactic Empire. Following the Sith Order's defeat at the hands of their sworn enemies, the Jedi Order, the Jedi Temple was raised over the shrine's foundations in a symbolic attempt to bury the legacy that the Sith had left behind on the galactic capital. Millennia later, this decision would prove disastrous for the Jedi Order, as Darth Sidious, the reigning Dark Lord of the Sith, was able to make ample use of the wellspring of dark side energy that lay at the shrine's heart; clouding the vision of the Jedi Council, and masking his true motives and identity until it was too late.[1]
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_shrine
'
Even while its super stupid to build your temple on the on the top of the one of your enemies, I think thats a very decent retcon

Read through Poe Dameron #18, dug it.

Found perhaps my single favorite panel of any of the new-era Star Wars comics:

o4MEnSh.png

Karé's
probably going to bite it this arc, I can feel it

I felt the Sith shrine was too big of a plot point to be dropped into Tarkin the way it was. Would have been better if it had been introduced somewhere else.

zv7ZZ.gif

zv7ZZ.gif

zv7ZZ.gif

For those who haven't seen it yet:

Stephen Daldry is Star Wars' new hope.

The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars standalone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass. It's not known at this stage if Ewan McGregor will reprise his role.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard and Lucasfilm is also looking at movies featuring Yoda and bounty hunter Bob Fett, among others.

curb

Banned
I'm okay with a solo Kenobi movie. I'm not clamoring for it like I was a couple years ago but I would definitely be interested in seeing what they do with it (if it happens). After that though, it's time to branch out with these non-Trilogy movies more.

Surfinn

Feels good to get the ball rolling on the project.

Now.. Ewan, you kno what to do.

I'm okay with a solo Kenobi movie. I'm not clamoring for it like I was a couple years ago but I would definitely be interested in seeing what they do with it (if it happens). After that though, it's time to branch out with these non-Trilogy movies more.

Yeah I think the biggest thing is that people need to be patient. It makes sense that Disney/LF would do well known characters and events FIRST, but I do think they'll branch out in a movie or two from now.

Today's BTS look from Ron Howard. He seems to be enjoying himself.

Anthony Breznican at EW says The Hollywood Reporter may have jumped the gun a bit on the Obi-Wan news:

On Thursday, the first sign that it may actually be happening arrived: Borys Kit of The Hollywood Reporter published a story saying that filmmaker Stephen Daldry is in talks to direct the project.

If it happens.

That's important: EW's sources say there's still an ”if" involved, but yes — we can confirm this is a movie that's being actively explored as a possible stand-alone beyond 2019's Episode IX.

A source close to the filmmaker suggested it is far from a done deal, calling the news ”premature, at best."

As of now, there is no script and no cast. But any film like this would want to secure a filmmaker before taking those steps, so McGregor's involvement is certainly a possibility.

There's a good reason for Lucasfilm to wait until after Episode IX to explore Obi-Wan's backstory and his time in the Tatooine desert before we meet Alec Guinness' portrayal in the first movie: They're still figuring out how he connects to the new saga, which started with The Force Awakens.

Weren't there rumors of Yoda and Boba Fett films dating back to well before the sale to Disney? Either way, pretty much the longest running rumored Star Wars ideas there are. Those two were likely always a matter of when, not if anyway. :p

I'm down for Boba Fett, since actually making him a cool character would be nice, but I've always been very iffy on the idea of a Yoda film. I think it's a story better left unexplored.

Sayers

Yoda is best left unexplained. I even hate the fact that Yaddle exists. Yoda should be the only one and what he is and where he came from should never be explained.

And yes, Cad Bane > Boba Fett.

Chuckie

Good luck Boba Fett

VuANREN.jpg

I'm not sure how xenobiologists have such a detailed picture of the workings of a Sarlacc, yet argue about wetther it is a plant or animal.

IF it is too dangerous to investigate, then how do they have such a detailed pic. And IF they have that pic because they found a dead Sarlacc somewhere, howcome they don't know if it is a plant or animal.

Incompetent xenobiologists.

Some of the short stories in From A Certain Point of View have been revealed:

• Gary Whitta bridges the gap from Rogue One to A New Hope through the eyes of Captain Antilles.
• Aunt Beru finds her voice in an intimate character study by Meg Cabot.
• Nnedi Okorofor brings dignity and depth to a most unlikely character: the monster in the trash compactor.
• Pablo Hidalgo provides a chilling glimpse inside the mind of Grand Moff Tarkin.
• Pierce Brown chronicles Biggs Darklighter's final flight during the Rebellion's harrowing attack on the Death Star.
• Wil Wheaton spins a poignant tale of the rebels left behind on Yavin.

Looking forward to Pablo's.

Cheebo

Banned
If so, why are they promoting this movie so lazily?

It's clearly not going to do as well (financially) as TFA because the hype is much less so this time around.

Shouldn't they be doing more this time to try and get as many bums in seats?

It's STAR WARS. The first film with the true return of Luke. A sequel to the highest grossing movie domestically of all time that ended on a cliff-hanger. There is absolutely no concern about hype, this thing is locked and loaded to do 700 mil domestic no matter what.

There is almost no one waiting for a trailer to decide if they are going to see it or not.

It's STAR WARS. The first film with the true return of Luke. A sequel to the highest grossing movie domestically of all time that ended on a cliff-hanger. There is absolutely no concern about hype, this thing is locked and loaded to do 700 mil domestic no matter what.

There is almost no one waiting for a trailer to decide if they are going to see it or not.

Also, it's August. The movie comes out in December. Once the fall hits, marketing for it will be inescapable. Disney knows what they're doing.

Top Bottom