• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Oh look Andrew Hsiao also thinks the dreadnought sucks.
http://fractalsponge.net/?p=2568

Eh, he also calls Rey a Mary Sue so he's not right about everything.

--

Del Rey have released the full Phasma cover. Pretty sweet.

DIBdxfcW0AIK6U2.jpg

Seigyoku

I am honestly somewhat miffed with Rian for this. Wipes are life. Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?!

Also at Star Wars Night @ Yankee Stadium and it just went into extra innings AND THIS DISPLEASES ME! Especially since I'm here by myself.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I am honestly somewhat miffed with Rian for this. Wipes are life. Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?!

Also at Star Wars Night @ Yankee Stadium and it just went into extra innings AND THIS DISPLEASES ME! Especially since I'm here by myself.
12 seem like a good amount, I dunno. Enough to remind us they're there but not overdue it.

Making my way through the Star Wars/Darth Vader comics, just finished the End of Games arc and moving on to the Last Flight of the Harbinger. I'm really enjoying them so far, the art style can be hit or miss but the dialogue is good enough where I can read the lines in each character's voice.

The new characters are definitely the stars of the show for me. Aphra, 000, and Beetee are so much fun. In my head I read 000's dialogue as Creepio's voice from the Auralnauts videos. Can't wait to start Aphra's standalone.

Einchy

Making my way through the Star Wars/Darth Vader comics, just finished the End of Games arc and moving on to the Last Flight of the Harbinger. I'm really enjoying them so far, the art style can be hit or miss but the dialogue is good enough where I can read the lines in each character's voice.

The new characters are definitely the stars of the show for me. Aphra, 000, and Beetee are so much fun. In my head I read 000's dialogue as Creepio's voice from the Auralnauts videos. Can't wait to start Aphra's standalone.

Make sure you read Aphra's solo comic, it's the best ongoing they've done.

sphagnum

Banned

You're about to hit the point in the main Star Wars series where it nosedives in quality.

Aphra is a great followup to Vader though.

Einchy

Jason Aaron is such a great writer but I dunno, it doesn't seem like he knows what he wants to do with Star Wars.

sphagnum

Banned
Jason Aaron is such a great writer but I dunno, it doesn't seem like he knows what he wants to do with Star Wars.

I think he just wanted to tell The Further Adventures of The Big 3. He didn't really have a vision for the war as a war.

Thats why I'm excited for Gillen.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have a issue with all these new ship designs, espescially of the first order. Its all Empire Desings where someone descided they were to tall and squeezed them down. Kylos Tie even looks like now longer since its a bit shorter.

And yeah, nostalgia and everything, even while I see why the Order made these designs in In-Universe: for the same reason, if the Nazis would return in full force tomorrow, they would use only a slightly updated version of the SS-uniforms and everything, because there are memories and fears attached to these uniforms, same as people in the Star Wars universe must feel remembered to the galactic civil war when they see a First Order Star Destroyer hovering over a planet.

Its just super unimaginative and they should be more open to change. Even the Resistance has still B-Wing with a different name.

Woorloog

Banned
When it comes to fighters, i figure the First Order fighters are part symbol, part proven effectiveness and part necessity.

The standard TIE/ln is the most numerous in the Empire, it is a symbol but its issues are also well known. Upgrading this design is easier and simpler than focusing on others, like the TIE Interceptor. Presumably also less resource intensive, as the Empire collapsed and the First Order started to form, they probably opted for the most easily produced fighter. With advanced tech, miniaturizing shield generators and better thrusters is easy enough.
An analogy: TIE/ln is Su-27, TIE/fo is Su-35.

Not quite sure why TIE/sf is very much like the TIE/fo, but in i reckon it is part symbol and part visual camouflage: try to quickly notice super TIEs from a TIE swarm...
I think Su-27 or -35 had a weird variant with side-by-side cockpit, the TIE/sf is basically analogous to that by having a weird (for a TIE) back to back seating. (Not necessarily analogous in role.)

The TIE/vn has clear lineage from TIE Advanced X1 and TIE Interceptor but evidently has had extensive upgrading done to it. TIE series likely tends to share the ball cockpit for parts commonality. I assume better engines and hyperdrive require additional space and stretching the cockpit sideways allowed for additional internal volume. Curiously, it is really large, it is like twice the old TIE Interceptor's length if the data on Wookieepedia is correct.

As for the Resistance and the Republic...

Upgrading the X-wing: It was a very effective multi-role fighter, and if one opts for downsizing military, using a multi-role fighter is very smart.
But downsizing is relative, and a galactic military forces can make use of more specialized designs:
The B-wing was functionally a replacement for the Y-wing, and upgrading it (to B-wing Mark II) is very sensible. Unfortunate we don't have a picture of one, to see what exactly did its upgrading entail. Weirdly, the B-wing isn't fulfilling all bomber needs for the New Republic/Resistance, for they have this new bomber in TLJ that is more akin to the strategic bomber B-52 than a fighter bomber like the Y-wing...
Finally, while the X-wing is a good fighter, it is not that fast or agile, and a light fighter like the A-wing complements it well. Wookieepedia lists the A-wing from TLJ as RZ-1 but i don't think it is the same model, it looks slightly different.

Now, while the roles are sensible, i get that the designs may be a bit disappointing. But i figure the filmmakers wanted a sense of realism (no, it doesn't matter Star Wars is a space fantasy, certain expectations apply . Modern fighters are not radically different from their predecessors, being evolutionary. The same seems to apply to sequel trilogy fighter designs.

It should be noted that the prequel Republic fighters are basically back-engineered Rebel (and Empire, to lesser extent) fighters, to create the sense of lineage.
The V-wing, Delta-7 and Eta-2 form basis for the A-wing. The Eta-2 and V-wing are predecessors to the TIE-series with influence from the Sith Infiltrator. The ARC-170 along with the Clone Headhunter (from TCW) precede the X-wing. And the Y-wing is Y-wing.

You're about to hit the point in the main Star Wars series where it nosedives in quality.

Aphra is a great followup to Vader though.

That's disappointing to hear. I'll probably still work through it to see what happens.

After I catch up with Aphra and Star Wars I'm planning on moving on to Lando and the other mini series, I've heard some of those are good.

That's disappointing to hear. I'll probably still work through it to see what happens.

After I catch up with Aphra and Star Wars I'm planning on moving on to Lando and the other mini series, I've heard some of those are good.

Yep, Lando's a good one. Han's mini-series is enjoyable too. Great art as well.

So as someone who has enjoyed the new canon books more often then not, Lost Stars and Dark Disciple being particularly great books in my opinion, what should be my next book I listen to? Been slacking after Catalyst, Rogue One novelization, and Empire's End.

Rebel Rising
Thrawn
Inferno Squad

Feel like I'm forgetting something, but I know Guardians didn't get an audiobook. Or should I finally push myself through my audiobook pile of shame with Dune and LotR

Malyse

Thrawn in general is a good book. Don't know how the audiobook is
I'll sign for the audiobook.
So as someone who has enjoyed the new canon books more often then not, Lost Stars and Dark Disciple being particularly great books in my opinion, what should be my next book I listen to? Been slacking after Catalyst, Rogue One novelization, and Empire's End.

Rebel Rising
Thrawn
Inferno Squad

Feel like I'm forgetting something, but I know Guardians didn't get an audiobook. Or should I finally push myself through my audiobook pile of shame with Dune and LotR
I loved all three, but if I had to rank:
Inferno Squad
Rebel Rising
Thrawn

I'll sign for the audiobook.

Inferno Squad
Rebel Rising
Thrawn
Ty for the recommendation, I'll start Inferno Squad today. If I really don't care for Thrawn ' s re imagining in Rebels is the book going to do anything to bridge the gap to his canon character? Note I'm not a Canon snob, my first Star Wars book I read was Darth Bane in early 2015.

Hi, I've been getting that yearly Star Wars fever and I've been thinking it's time to dip my toe into the new EU. Are the Poe Dameron comics very good? I loved all the X-Wing parts of VII and I loved the Aaron Allston X-Wing books in the old EU, is this a good place to start?

Malyse

Ty for the recommendation, I'll start Inferno Squad today. If I really don't care for Thrawn ' s re imagining in Rebels is the book going to do anything to bridge the gap to his canon character? Note I'm not a Canon snob, my first Star Wars book I read was Darth Bane in early 2015.
I'm not caught up on Rebels because I can read a book every two days but sitting my ass down to watch a video is crazy time commitment, but I enjoyed it without the rebels tie in. My only issue is that it feels like they talk around the show a bit, sort of a two halves in a whole.

To elaborate on rankings, Thrawn and Rebel Rising feel like they lean a bit more on their sources (this scene resonates because oh what tragic foreshadowing or oh so that's why that character is like that in the show/film), while Inferno Squad is more of a first salvo in establishing these characters and thus has an illusion of being more fresh.

sphagnum

Banned
Hi, I've been getting that yearly Star Wars fever and I've been thinking it's time to dip my toe into the new EU. Are the Poe Dameron comics very good? I loved all the X-Wing parts of VII and I loved the Aaron Allston X-Wing books in the old EU, is this a good place to start?

The Poe comic is kind of slow but it reads better when you're not waiting for a new issue every month and just barreling through it. This is primarily because the plot is pre-TFA so they cant change the status quo and have to find a way to stretch things out, but the individual arcs are enjoyable. It just felt like it was treading water for a while there but it's coming together now.

It's probably the closest thing in the new canon so far to the old X-wing stuff, as well as Poe's part in Before the Awakening (also worth reading). If you want other military focused stuff the best book for that is Battlefront: Twilight Company.

Thrawn in his titular novel is clearly Zahn's Thrawn written as a sort of noble and heroic Imperial. The Battle of Batonn has a pretty interesting twist to it that retcons how it was presented in Rebels as well.

Inferno Squad
Rebel Rising
Thrawn

My ranking is literally the opposite for these. Thrawn was the most well written of the three and basically is pure Thrawn, just not on the kind of scale the EU Thrawn books were. Rebel Rising makes Rogue One WAY better because you come to appreciate how awful Jyn's life, and it is the most depressing thing in the Star Wars universe I've ever read, but it's got some plot/pacing issues. IS is interesting and I enjoyed it but the ending is super rushed and I'm not sure it works as well as it should. I also find the makeup of the team itself kind of weird.

The Poe comic is kind of slow but it reads better when you're not waiting for a new issue every month and just barreling through it. This is primarily because the plot is pre-TFA so they cant change the status quo and have to find a way to stretch things out, but the individual arcs are enjoyable. It just felt like it was treading water for a while there but it's coming together now.

It's probably the closest thing in the new canon so far to the old X-wing stuff, as well as Poe's part in Before the Awakening (also worth reading). If you want other military focused stuff the best book for that is Battlefront: Twilight Company.
Just ordered the first volume so hoping this is good!

sphagnum

Banned
Is it recommended to read Twilight Company before Inferno Squad?

Aside from being Battlefront tie-ins, they're unrelated so it doesnt matter. Inferno Squad comes chronologically first if that matters to you.

As a reminder to everyone, the Mace Windu comic starts tomorrow and the novels Phasma and Leia, Princess of Alderaan come out on Friday!

Top Bottom