• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dangan Ronpa (Super High School Level) English Translation Patch Released (PSP)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Well I just beat it... now to process it for a bit in my head... hmm...
Forget if you can read Japanese, but make sure to grab both danganronpa zero novels if you plan to play dangan 2 before/if it gets localized. They fill in a lot of important information between the two games.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm sure this won't help you since you've completed the game, but there is a chart here that shows you which presents to give to who (there are chapter 2 spoilers present on the chart, so be careful). I'm actually wondering if there's a way to figure out character locations during free time. I found myself constantly looking through random rooms to find people.
Just open up the map and scroll through each floor. It'll have an icon where which person is.

Is there somewhere I can see all the animated cutscenes? They glitch out for me and get skipped, so I've just been using a youtube playthrough to see them, but I'm almost past the point where that playthrough is.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Is there somewhere I can see all the animated cutscenes? They glitch out for me and get skipped, so I've just been using a youtube playthrough to see them, but I'm almost past the point where that playthrough is.

Did you try watching them under the Extras menu? Every cutscene is stored here, though you have to unlock them with coins first to be able to rewatch them.

Just finished this last night.
I was playing spoiled on a lot of the twists, but they were still pretty great.

Oogami, Enoshima, and Asahina were probably my favorite characters.

If you're playing on an actual PSP I'm pretty sure it's probably a CFW thing.

Yeah, I know. I'm just too lazy/paranoid to update it. I've had some bad experience with getting the CFW to work on the thing, so I'd rather just leave it as as and watch the FMVs I'm missing online. I could always wait for that playthrough to get further, but waiting is painful with a game like this where I NEED to know what happens next asap.

Chapter 4 finished. Only in this game can
the brutal slaughter of a computer screen
be so emotional. Seriously amazing.

Other than that, my brain is on the floor.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game, two questions are left behind though.

I'm sure it has been mentioned during the last trial but,
how did Ikusaba hide her tattoo when she switched her identity with Enoshima? Did she use some kind of make-up?

Also, how exactly did Enoshima manage to erase their memories for a certain time frame? This sounds like an impossible thing to do.

Game was pretty good, the story started to captivate me at around chapter 5. Although the free time segments seemed like an afterthought and weren't very thrilling.

Fisico

-
how did Ikusaba hide her tattoo when she switched her identity with Enoshima? Did she use some kind of make-up?

-
Also, how exactly did Enoshima manage to erase their memories for a certain time frame? This sounds like an impossible thing to do.

- Exactly what you said, nothing more nothing less

-
We don't know, there are way too many things left unanswered after the ending

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
-
We don't know, there are way too many things left unanswered after the ending

That's a bummer. I could see them making somewhat logical explanations about the broadcast hijacking and how the world went to shit, but the memory loss stood out to me as something that I wouldn't buy if I were in the students position.

Then again, we are talking about a game that showed us godzilla Monokuma taking down skyscrapers, so maybe I shouldn't expect a proper explanation at all.

Fisico

Well they have created some kind of background for a series, they have already released a sequel, there's an anime and a remake of the first two episodes which is coming to Vita, the budget title of the first episode on PSP is selling pretty well thanks to the anime...

I'm sure they're going to wrap up the plot of the first episode in some kind of global conspiration
in fact they already did

Just finished the game, two questions are left behind though.

I'm sure it has been mentioned during the last trial but,

Game was pretty good, the story started to captivate me at around chapter 5. Although the free time segments seemed like an afterthought and weren't very thrilling.

To your questions
-Yes
-Explained in prequel. If you must know,
it involves a SDHS Neurologist and his research on a girl with amnesia.

Middle of chapter
and it really doesn't seem like I'll get all the answers I want. Still so many questions. This seriously better not end on a cliffhanger.

Droplet

What I want to know is...
what happened in that bloody classroom?

Doesn't Junko say she killed everyone except her class? At least I thought that was supposed to be the explanation for the classroom.

Anyway, yeah, finished. Some gameplay details sort of bothered me (why can't we go to any floor immediately? Or at least, I didn't see a way to do it...). And why does every case
basically involve Kirigiri spelling everything out for you?
. Some plot details
(amnesia)
were a little laughable but otherwise I felt the game was pretty solid. Enough to make me want to play the sequel, anyway, which I assume would have fixed a good number of the issues I have with this game.

Aytrial

Some gameplay details sort of bothered me (why can't we go to any floor immediately? Or at least, I didn't see a way to do it...).

Monokuma specifically says at the beginning that a new area of the school will be unlocked after every case.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member

This is my guess of a timeline of events:
1. Multiple students got selected to be part of the academy
2. Everone lived their normal lives; group pictures were made
3. The despair incident happened and the world went down
4. The whole academy managed to avoid the despair incident and to provide shelter to those who would accept living inside the academy forever
5. Emergency DVDs were recorded
6. Academy has been sealed from the inside
7. Fenrir managed to break into the academy (probably because Enoshima created a breach)
8. Every student got killed, except one class and the headmaster which have been taken hostage
9. The living students lost their memory about the despair incident
10. Enoshima cleaned every room except the second dormitory floor and one class room
11. Fenrir hijacked broadcast signals
12. The first execution started, the headmaster got killed (I'm assuming that's him during the intro, because after the rocket opens there is a pile of bones left which looks like the bones found in the present box)
13. The Highschool of Despair started

kewlmyc

MAJOR SPOILERS FROM DANGANRONPA, DANGANRONPA ZERO, AND SUPER DANGANRONPA 2. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
That was the start of the "Horrible Event that Caused Despair" or whatever it's called. Junko made the Super Level High School Hope (not Nagei, another person) convince the student counsel to kill each other and it went downhill from there.

started this a few days back. Does the jp version have so much english or is this group super elite hackers? Some impressive stuff.

Fun game so far (just beaten case 2, that fanservice shot of swimmer girl <3).

think i've only had 1 nsd that i was a bit iffy on how the ammo was a contradiction with the answer.

How does the whole relationship system work? people seem to die left and right so it seems like luck to max anyone. what do i do with all these coins besides getting random gifts?

Finished it. I liked it, but it certainly ain't perfect. I'll just list some things here that I think could have been improved:

-Most characters were quite shallow if not all of them. You could say that is the charm too since it is very animu game. The thing that gives some backround info on them (the free time) is extremely limited considering the amount of characters and very limited free time in the game overall.

-This is mostly my own fault playing on ''normal'' but the game is too easy. Both the machine gun battle rythm stuff (that I liked besides being very basic!) and the trial mysteries themselves. There wasn't really any headscracher stuff there and I dunno if that is at all improved in the hard difficulty.

-The ending and the overall main mystery was kinda ''eh''. The best stuff is definately the beginning and middle with your basic trials.

Stuff that I liked:

-Very animu characters and setting. Just pure silly fun.

-Music (and most of the soundwork)

-Quite good looking game too. 2D skillfully used as an advantage.

-Your basic storytelling and mood especially in the middle part

-Gameplay itself. Simple but varied and fun.

Gotta get the Vita version and hopefully 2 when it is translated one way or another.

By the way is there some sort of secret ending type of stuff? There is one last slot in the movie shop that shows ??? and I cannot purchase. The last event I saw was
Monokuma coming back to life in the courtroom.

Fukawa was a terrible character after the beginning tho. Ugh.

By the way is there some sort of secret ending type of stuff? There is one last slot in the movie shop that shows ??? and I cannot purchase. The last event I saw was
Monokuma coming back to life in the courtroom.

Yes and no.
After beating the game if you go back and play the gachapon machine some more you have a chance to get a "secret" item that unlocks the last movie.
Here's a Youtube video of it. Ending spoilers, etc.

MBison

Loved this game and enjoying the anime.

Is there an English translated Dangan ronpa zero somewhere?

Also is there a list of all the skills somewhere? I only managed to get 5 of them. I mostly got skill points during free time.

Rhapsody

Banned

Also is there a list of all the skills somewhere? I only managed to get 5 of them. I mostly got skill points during free time.

Project Zetsubou is still currently translating Zero. Part 1 is all done apparently, but it hasn't been edited yet, while part 2 is still being translated. They did, however, say that the site will be making less status updates, so they're most likely farther along than what the progress says.

I think there was a partial translation for Zero on Something Awful, but they're behind a paywall now if you don't have an account.

Like Rhapsody said, we'll have to wait for Project Zetsubou otherwise.

What's the text in the background when you win a nonstop debate?

"REFUTE" IIRC

I have to say, this fan translation is really well done, probably one of the better ones I've experienced. I'll buy it on Vita next year to support quality visual novels here in the West, because we need more of them. A LOT more.

The music was definitely the highlight of the game for me. Takada's compositions fit really well with the tone of the game.

I was also really charmed by the style and characters, although I can understand why they would not necessarily appeal to everyone. There's this great design-mix of Persona/Phoenix Wright with all the 2D/3D area and menu designs. The gun themed debate mechanics are interesting enough and justify the use of wonderfully silly Japanese minigame systems such as "Re:Act" and "Epiphany Anagram". All the blood was pink, I don't know if this was a design decision or based on targeted age ratings.

Gameplay wise it was very enjoyable and the pacing was pretty good. I had a few minor critique points

• The "Free Time" sections feel a little tacked on, and sometimes out of place. It's nice you are able to learn more about a character, but the whole present mechanic and benefits thereof aren't really explained well and could've easily been cut out.
  • Maybe it was just me, but during the Climax portions of Class Trials, where you have to put pictures in chronological order, I had difficulty sometimes in putting them right. Some pictures were a little ambiguous imo, but maybe that was just me. Happened only 1 or 2 times in the whole game though.
  • Sometimes the game felt a little handholdy, where one or two of the main characters knows everything better than your in game-character and you basically drone out whatever they come up with.
  • The game suffers a bit from "Phoenix Wright Syndrome", where the game specifically asks for one piece of evidence, where you as a player feel that you could argument against a statement with several pieces of evidence. Then again this is something all similar games deal with and is a minor gripe.

All in all a very enjoyable experience, everyone who enjoys visual novels should give it a try, now or in the future. I might bite on a Super DGR2 on PSP (dunno if it's on the Japanese PSN) because I think my Japanese is sufficient enough now. If I could manage AAI2 in Japanese (which is also still fan translated and making slow progress) I think I can handle Super DGR2.

A huge amount of respect to the fan translators for delivering such a polished experience.

Am I the only one that constantly mess up the debate ones where you have to use someone else's statement as ammo? I tend to always do it backwards (absorb ammo A and present it B, when it should be opposite).

Besides that, i usually do ok... i do wish you can look up your ID thing during the jeopardy minigame.

ch5 atm, hopefully will finish this weekend unless there is some super twist.

There is one really small thing I don't also understand. As a non english native speaker I think there were few things that were just weirdly translated. Like is there a reason why Celes is ''high roller'' and not ''gambler''. I didn't know what the fuck it was supposed to mean at first. Second would be
''Sleuth''. Another word I don't really think I have ever encountered before. Why not ''Detective''? Actually called this super early that Kirigiri would be ''Super Duper Detective'' :lol.
Then there is ''All-Star''. Is there a reason for such a weird name? Is ''Baseball Star'' too long or does it sound weird since that is the first name that would pop into my head :p. Perhaps the smallest nitpick would be ''Bookworm''. Why not ''Writer''? Her writing is much more apparent and her knowledge on books is only referred once IIRC. Then there is ''Scion''. Another word I don't think I have encountered before. I think he was ''Elite'' in some translation and I think that would be the better fitting word as well.

Sorry for the weird rambling :3

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
There is one really small thing I don't also understand. As a non english native speaker I think there were few things that were just weirdly translated. Like is there a reason why Celes is ''high roller'' and not ''gambler''. I didn't know what the fuck it was supposed to mean at first. Second would be
''Sleuth''. Another word I don't really think I have ever encountered before. Why not ''Detective''? Actually called this super early that Kirigiri would be ''Super Duper Detective'' :lol.
Then there is ''All-Star''. Is there a reason for such a weird name? Is ''Baseball Star'' too long or does it sound weird since that is the first name that would pop into my head :p. Perhaps the smallest nitpick would be ''Bookworm''. Why not ''Writer''? Her writing is much more apparent and her knowledge on books is only referred once IIRC. Then there is ''Scion''. Another word I don't think I have encountered before. I think he was ''Elite'' in some translation and I think that would be the better fitting word as well.

Sorry for the weird rambling :3

High-Roller is another term for someone who gambles with a lot of money.
Sleuth is a fancier word for detective - it's the same thing really.
All-star is used to refer to a top athlete in their particular sport. As for Bookworm... well, the Japanese is literally 'literature girl' so it could go either way. With Togami, the Japanese is &#24481;&#26361;&#21496; which is basically like the son of a noble family so Scion is fitting.

Hope that helps.

Just beat it.

Loved it.

Need the sequel.

NOW! xD

Damnit NISA, why couldn't you have just translated the entire Vita collection instead of just doing the 1st one. No big deal though, these fan translators did such an amazing job, I'll gladly wait another 2 years for the sequel.

That was seriously the best fan translation I've ever seen, hell, it was better than some official translations I've seen.

Lastly, Asahina <3 Nobody else can have her. She's mine.

Top Bottom