• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 official Japanese twitter account and website thread

tjlee2

Neo Member
Xenoblade games have always been fairly busy in terms of overlapping dialogue and attack name repetition. It's not a major problem imo but I'm surprised it hasn't been assessed for a QoL improvement yet. Having only the main character (and their blade, in this case) being vocal while subs are only vocal when actions are in conjunction with the main would probably cut out a decent amount of chatter.

It wasn't a notable issue in Xenoblade 1 to me as Japanese voices were avaialble, but certain phrases like Hammer Beat were definitely drilled into your head by the end of the game.

fall damage still annoys me. Seems like your health fills back up pretty quickly so it seems pointless to have fall damage at all.

edit: not a fan of "come out come out" collectible items flower/plant spot instead of those glowing gems all over the place to walk over (eh why change it?)

jdstorm

Banned
fall damage still annoys me. Seems like your health fills back up pretty quickly so it seems pointless to have fall damage at all.

Nah. It will stop you from jumping off things to get away from high level enemies who have already damaged you. It seems like a perfectly fine choice.

I also like how the accents/VA has grown on me. Its a bit different but thats a good thing as it feels unique.
still cant shake the feeling of wishing that Pyra was Irish or Scottish but that doesn't really matter much

Nah. It will stop you from jumping off things to get away from high level enemies who have already damaged you. It seems like a perfectly fine choice.

I also like how the accents/VA has grown on me. Its a bit different but thats a good thing as it feels unique.
still cant shake the feeling of wishing that Pyra was Irish or Scottish but that doesn't really matter much

that's not a good choice if an OP enemy is going to kill you anyway, getting owned by a high level dude is part of Xenoblade's charms

outrunning enemies seems fairly easy as well

Xenoboy

Fall damage mostly exists so you can't break the game, right? Like what if there are is something like the Colony 6 mines, you'd be able to skip the whole area. Xenoblade X didn't have those kind of areas.

Fall damage mostly exists so you can't break the game, right? Like what if there are is something like the Colony 6 mines, you'd be able to skip the whole area. Xenoblade X didn't have those kind of areas.

This is probably the reason. Without fall damage, a more linear game would have issues with vertical areas. But Xenoblade Games basically never have invisible walls so fall damage works as a sensible substitute to stop people from skipping vertical areas while still giving some freedom to explore. (Like dropping down some areas in this demo).

I'm going to be over leveled anyway I always grind too much

just hope they don't cap at level 60 again

CGiRanger

Banned
I'm guessing that the primary reason for the return of fall damage is to return some linearity to the game flow. With XenoX because everything was wide open you could theoretically go anywhere you wanted on foot. This game isn't one seamless world since it takes place on several different Titans with likely a loading cutscene transition.

Anyway, we'll see how it works in practice. We haven't actually seen much of the game world itself. The Uriyah demo has been the most expansive look at an area that we've seen and I've a feeling the Titan is much larger than what has been shown, same with Gormott.

KLoWn

zuCWk3W.gif
I usually couldn't care less if there's breast jiggle in a game, but that shit right there looks ridiculous.

CGiRanger

Banned
I usually couldn't care less if there's breast jiggle in a game, but that shit right there looks ridiculous.
I do think it should be toned down, because I think at such high exaggeration it IMO detracts from the appeal. (reminds me of that Street Fighter V character select screen bug with Chun-Li and her jiggle being like jello, which was fixed)

Anyway, as far as the voices go, while I don't hate Rex's voice, I was rewatching some original Xenoblade videos and he sadly just does not compare to Adam Howden. Howden managed to make his characterization of Shulk and his accent sound perfectly natural.

Rex by contrast thus far has sounded like a British actor without any vocal training, and a very harsh, almost forcefully exaggerated Yorkshire accent. A lot of his lines have also just sounded like missed deliveries ("Take Thiiiiis!" and now "Chaaarge")

Again I don't hate his voice, but it's a letdown compared to Shulk.

Mister Wolf

I do think it should be toned down, because I think at such high exaggeration it IMO detracts from the appeal. (reminds me of that Street Fighter V character select screen bug with Chun-Li and her jiggle being like jello, which was fixed)

Anyway, as far as the voices go, while I don't hate Rex's voice, I was rewatching some original Xenoblade videos and he sadly just does not compare to Adam Howden. Howden managed to make his characterization of Shulk and his accent sound perfectly natural.

Rex by contrast thus far has sounded like a British actor without any vocal training, and a very harsh, almost forcefully exaggerated Yorkshire accent. A lot of his lines have also just sounded like missed deliveries ("Take Thiiiiis!" and now "Chaaarge")

Again I don't hate his voice, but it's a letdown compared to Shulk.

I consider this situation with the Brit voice actors a monkey's paw haha.

CGiRanger

Banned
I consider this situation with the Brit voice actors a monkey's paw haha.
Ah, because so many were clamoring, especially after XenoX, to "Please bring back the British voices of the original!"

Yeah, I'll admit I was one of those too. I'm not entirely disappointed in what I've heard, a lot of the other characters and accents sound good like Nia. Just Rex is kind of not quite at the right level. Hopefully I'm wrong and maybe during cutscenes he'll become more endearing.

And to be fair, Adam Howden's take on Shulk is a very high bar to reach. Not just for a British actor but for Voice Actors in general. He did a remarkable job, especially with a lot of lines that would normally sound cringey or awful in a normal "dub job" but he was able to add the right amount of emotion to. About to the same level as the quality of VA I'd heard in Nier: Automata of recent time, which I consider some of the best dubbing around.

Original Xenoblade early-game spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vMllYljc0

Mory Dunz

Shulk's VA was one of the best yellers I've heard. That includes JP and English VA.

I didn't click your link^^ but I think I know what scene it is.

Honestly I think Tora has the worst voice acting out of the main party so far. There's just something irritating about it, which is a bit strange since I think Riki's VA in the original game was fantastic.

I don't think the VA overall will be as good as XC was but, from what little I've heard of the footage, none of the voices really grate on me and nothing is bad. Then again, this is in a limited amount of footage.

I was surprised by how much I liked the VA of XC, especially Riki, since he seemed like the mascot character, but his voice was great.

duckroll

The English voices really bother me and I actually like (good) dubs. But instead of whining I just pre-ordered the JP LE in Amazon instead. Region free ftw. :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Breath of the Wild's voice acting grew on me despite sounding super awful in clips. Wonder if this will be the same.

XCX secretly has a great dub...just not as memorable as XBC.

Aters

I'm gonna play this game muted. Real time games should not have the characters yelling out every move they make, because everyone is making moves all the time there are three of them. What a mess.

Why does a lvl24 enemy have like 999999999 hp?

Because despite the constant refrain of "they just upped the enemy HP levels to show off combat during the streams :)" it appears that the really enemies are actually just huge HP sponges.

I'm gonna play this game muted. Real time games should not have the characters yelling out every move they make, because everyone is making moves all the time there are three of them. What a mess.

If you listen closely, I think you'll note that there are actually seven characters shouting at all times: The three party members, their weapons, and the dragon that Rex lives on.

Aters

If you listen closely, I think you'll note that there are actually seven characters shouting at all times: The three party members, their weapons, and the dragon that Rex lives on.

Oh yeah. Who thought it's a good idea to let seven characters yelling shit at the same time?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Honestly I think Tora has the worst voice acting out of the main party so far. There's just something irritating about it, which is a bit strange since I think Riki's VA in the original game was fantastic.
Riki's eng VA is terrible, I played xenoblade in jp the 1st time SO when I started looking at stuff on YouTube I was shocked when I heard rimi, sounded like a old ass man trying to be cute, its the complete opposite of his jp voice...but I heard enough ThAt I got use to it D:

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Riki's eng VA is terrible, I played xenoblade in jp the 1st time SO when I started looking at stuff on YouTube I was shocked when I heard rimi, sounded like a old ass man trying to be cute, its the complete opposite of his jp voice...but I heard enough ThAt I got use to it D:

The heropon has my favorite voice in that game.

Enemies in the demo playthroughs were given significantly higher health so all facets of the battle system could be better shown off.

Considering the build they have is pretty near final, I doubt that.

What it seems to me is that enemies are balanced with the idea of avoiding being trash mobs and thus want you to play with the Combos and statuses more often.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In previous Xenoblade games it also matters a great deal how well leveled up your characters arts are. You can absolutely hit a wall in both XBC/XBX if you don't level your best battle arts where enemies feel like they take forever to kill.

theofficefan99

Enemies in the demo playthroughs were given significantly higher health so all facets of the battle system could be better shown off.

I don't believe this excuse. The enemies seem like their health is about 50x too high. And it's been literally every single piece of footage. Haven't played the first two games either but I don't recall ever seeing footage of an enemy going down in less than, like, 30 hits.

CGiRanger

Banned
Me: People always overreact and whine about the English voice acting in every JRPG that gets released here even though it's often times leagues better than the Japanese acting.

Me, after hearing Tora's voice:
I honestly feel that for Tora sounds like his vocal attacks are repeated at a much higher rate than the other characters. Hopefully that's something that they can tune or have tuned.
I don't believe this excuse. The enemies seem like their health is about 50x too high. And it's been literally every single piece of footage. Haven't played the first two games either but I don't recall ever seeing footage of an enemy going down in less than, like, 30 hits.
Because every single piece of recent footage is based off of the same Uriyah demo from Gamescom which was stated where the HP was artificially inflated.

If you go back to the E3 Demo. The HP bars seem to be less spongey:

https://youtu.be/NfGk6VMcJsw?t=9m25s

Considering the build they have is pretty near final, I doubt that.

What it seems to me is that enemies are balanced with the idea of avoiding being trash mobs and thus want you to play with the Combos and statuses more often.

Ditto this, but I think this is a bad idea. Battles will take too long if you need special combo for all of them. Normal mobs around party levels should be easily beatable with break/topple/launch combo along IMO. Building a level 3 special for every battle will be a pain for those who don't study the battle system and can't do canceling well.

Ditto this, but I think this is a bad idea. Battles will take too long if you need special combo for all of them. Normal mobs around party levels should be easily beatable with break/topple/launch combo along IMO. Building a level 3 special for every battle will be a pain for those who don't study the battle system and can't do canceling well.

Personally, I don't think that's a bad thing. They should be pushed to understand the combat and that combat should reward them with varied situations and ideas to attempt.

duckroll

I keep hearing this excuse and it's really weird because this is the only game where people are repeating this excuse like it is gospel. There's nothing interesting being shown off with regards to the battle system in any of these videos other than how boring and long the fights are.

I keep hearing this excuse and it's really weird because this is the only game where people are repeating this excuse like it is gospel.

I mean we have seen the same demo played repeatedly so far in the same area so who knows.

Plus from what I see is that most players are underleveled and aren't using much combos in the demo.

Akai

I keep hearing this excuse and it's really weird because this is the only game where people are repeating this excuse like it is gospel. There's nothing interesting being shown off with regards to the battle system in any of these videos other than how boring and long the fights are.

I'm only repeating what the presenter from the Milan footage stated, and the most recent demo is the exact same one. If you don't want to believe it, whatever, but it's not an "excuse"...

duckroll

Because every single piece of recent footage is based off of the same Uriyah demo from Gamescom which was stated where the HP was artificially inflated.

If you go back to the E3 Demo. The HP bars seem to be less spongey:

https://youtu.be/NfGk6VMcJsw?t=9m25s

No? They look just as spongey. When the lvl9 party fights lvl2 and lvl5 enemies of course it seems fast, but when they take on a lvl10 relatively passive enemy at 11:39, you can see that even thought there is no challenge whatsoever, just repeating attacks over and over takes over a minute to defeat the enemy. It's just so... boring.

Personally, I don't think that's a bad thing. They should be pushed to understand the combat and that combat should reward them with varied situations and ideas to attempt.

How though? Most of the customers wont read all these twitter posts, gameplay presentations or even Nintendo directs. I doubt the in-game tutorial will help when all Nintendo doing now is explaining the same basic battle system over and over again on the internet. Like they afraid people can't understand the system even they bought the copy. XB and XBX all suffer from bad in-game tutorial, but their battle pace are much faster than XB2.

duckroll

I mean we have seen the same demo played repeatedly so far in the same area so who knows.

Plus from what I see is that most players are underleveled and aren't using much combos in the demo.

If they are underleveled they should be having a tough time with the fights. When a fight doesn't look dangerous or engaging, and the same combos are repeated over and over to slowly grind the HP down to victory, where's the satisfaction?

Here's a better question - if Nintendo is really so interested in showing off the battle system and they have tuned the demos to be "bad" just to show it off "better", why haven't they... just shown off expert videos of fights that actually look really exciting and fun? Is there a single example of something like that? With actual evasion, proper combo use to disable the enemy, recovery after party members get seriously hurt, etc?

CGiRanger

Banned
Have you played a Xenoblade game before? Because it sounds like this isn't for you if you find it so "boring". It looks exactly like the previous games. The satisfaction comes with playing the game and pulling off the combos and special attacks that chain together and deal heavy damage.
Here's a better question - if Nintendo is really so interested in showing off the battle system and they have tuned the demos to be "bad" just to show it off "better", why haven't they... just shown off expert videos of fights that actually look really exciting and fun? Is there a single example of something like that? With actual evasion, proper combo use to disable the enemy, recovery after party members get seriously hurt, etc?
The Gamescom demonstration by Nintendo of Europe showed off a lot of combos and attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_R1QP3prb4

They successfully took down the Cunning Saggie unique monster and pulled off several combos in the process https://youtu.be/P_R1QP3prb4?t=34m11s

MoonFrog

Hmmm...what's this about? My number one concern going into this game is the quality of party play. I think the mmo-lite style is a bit of a barrier to that that I hope they find a (better) way around. Monolith does do fairly well with individual roles imo and those are fun to play.

Also, seeing more blades entrenches my suspicion of the gacha system.

But...I'll see. I'm going to play the game.

brutaka3

Neo Member
To everyone complaining about the sponge enemies and everyone saying that the demo was modified to show the combat system:

In XC and XCX the way the level scaling works makes that an enemy with 3 or 4 levels more than you really hard and with 5 and more, almost impossible. In the E3 demo (playable characters level 7) enemies with lower levels are beaten fast, but the level 10 enemy takes a while. In the most recent demos (playable characters level 20), the level 24 enemy takes a lot of time and the level 25 beats the party in almost every demo showed.

Top Bottom