• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch #1 Selling Hardware in September. Nintendo Systems = 2/3 Total sales.

Elandyll

Banned
Time for PS4/XB1 to hit that magic $199 number.
I expect an official $50 price drop for PS4 -and likely XB1S- in Nov ($199 BF), as the price went (unofficially) back up to the full $299 sometime in September, and the 1Tb $299 PS4 isn't doing 'that' hot at that price.

Same for the pre orders on the slim COD and BF2, both outsold by the Pro (on Amazon).

I just think sales above $249 have been tapped for big numbers on slim models.

ggx2ac

PS4 WW shipments YTD (as of June 30th):

2016: 5.8 mil
2017: 6.2 mil

What would you see driving PS4 hardware sales so that Sony can ship more than 20 million units to beat the last FY?

I can see that Gran Turismo Sport, Monster Hunter World, God War and Spider-Man are new games for the system that can help. But is it really enough to make Sony ship more than 20 million?

As I said in my old quote, Sony shipping more than 20 million PS4s in its fourth year in the market would mean there's no longer any point to seeing if it will surpass 100 million sales, it would have to be looked at to see if it could surpass the PS2 in sales.

EDIT: Lot of people in the prediction thread predicted Switch > PS4, myself included.

"Everyone" can relax. I wasn't being literal. But I was calling back posts from April a month after the Switch had launched.

So yeah, I should have said, "Some people".

LordRaptor

I'm convinced most of the people that wanted Destiny 2 are PC owners now. I'm assuming the PC #s will give us the record-shattering results we all expected.

I mean, to put your expectations in check, Destiny 2s PC sales ain't doing shit for September because its half way through October and its still not actually out.

I dont get why people struggle with this. Its a new type of product for the market. It has the capability to do both. It is not one or the other.

Yeah, it's like there's insecure people not wanting the Switch to be called a home console because it sells better than the PS4 right now.

For me, the Switch is both, i can play the console exactly like i play my PS4 and, i have the choice to undock the thing and take it wherever i want. The only limitation it has is the graphical power and that's normal because Nintendo had to do concessions in order to make it a hybrid.

I think the Switch is the next evolution in console gaming. It goes well with today's people lifestyle of mobile, portable, flexibility and convenience. The power difference between a hybrid and a home console won't matter for the mass as the graphics are good enough for most.

Yeah, I've not got a carry case or screen protector ATM as well as games I prefer to play on the TV and I'm still extensively using my 3DS when I'm on-the-go so I have my system in the dock for a long time now. I imagine that will change soon though and I think that the flexibility is one of the best things about the system and I'm sure there are people who've had the opposite experience with the system to me (A.K.A 100% portable usage), and some people I'm sure get equal parts enjoyment from its portability and docked modes. Why people trying to put everyone in one basket when the system is so obviously designed to be more that one set way of usage? It's silly and pointless.

Use mine as a console more so but I have a screen protector and a case. It can be anything you want though. I use it in handheld mode when I wanna watch sports but get some gaming in. It's flexible like that.

Trago

Excellent news!

Hardware and software sales are great. I honestly didn't see it coming pre launch, but Nintendo's killing it. We all know that Mario is gonna sell like world peace, but I'm much more interested to see how the high profile third party games perform in the coming months.

I can honestly say that I'm tempted to pick up DOOM, Skyrim, and LA Noire on Switch. And I've already played those games on PC!

ffdgh

Niice.
Live footage of Capcom.

4rSjFWU.gif

Now that's just cold. 😆

Bioshocker

It's console priced, has console games, and has replaced their console while their handheld remains on the market.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, sales are sales, but it's their console priced hardware, that they sell console controllers and accessories for, and the place they are going to sell their console games.

So if the PS4 was priced as a handheld, it would be a handheld? For once I agree with Pachter, Switch is primarily a handheld. I don't know why people get so upset about this (no, you don't seem upset, but others are). Yes, the 3DS is still around while the Wii U was discontinued because it was a disaster, but really look at what the Switch is. It's a handheld with a dock to connect it to the TV. That's what it is.

Of course Nintendo will keep on releasing AAA games that will work fine playing on your TV, but that doesn't change that you carry around the console itself and then plug it into the dock at home if and when you want to play on the big screen.

kmax

Very happy for Nintendo. Competition is so important, and seeing game companies thrive is very good for the business.

Good job, Nintendo.

Kill3r7

Excellent news!

Hardware and software sales are great. I honestly didn't see it coming pre launch, but Nintendo's killing it. We all know that Mario is gonna sell like world peace, but I'm much more interested to see how the high profile third party games perform in the coming months.

I can honestly say that I'm tempted to pick up DOOM, Skyrim, and LA Noire on Switch. And I've already played those games on PC!

Agreed on Skyrim and LA Noire but DOOM at 30fps is not for me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
seems like the demand for NES classic and switch are pretty high in addition to 3DS, wonder how PS4 and XB1 did this month by comparison in pure numbers

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
So if the PS4 was priced as a handheld, it would be a handheld? For once I agree with Pachter, Switch is primarily a handheld. I don't know why people get so upset about this (no, you don't seem upset, but others are). Yes, the 3DS is still around while the Wii U was discontinued because it was a disaster, but really look at what the Switch is. It's a handheld with a dock to connect it to the TV. That's what it is.

Of course Nintendo will keep on releasing AAA games that will work fine playing on your TV, but that doesn't change that you carry around the console itself and then plug it into the dock at home if and when you want to play on the big screen.

I don't know, I really think it's positioned as both. I mean, you'd never expect Doom or Wolfenstein II to be made portable---or have full experience sports games like NBA 2k18. It's just a console powered system that travels well. I mean it fits in with current tech like tablets where people don't sacrifice usability for a portable experience.

The other thing is that Nintendo is still strongly supporting 3DS, not slowly transitioning away from it.

Man this holiday is going to be absolutely historical for the Switch. And hats off to Nintendo for finding a way to fully support and succeed with NES mini, SNES mini, the 3DS family, and become the most popular console with Switch.

LordRaptor

I don't know what the point of such semantic arguments are - its a portable.
Consumers understand the concept of "A Portable" even if sections of GAF purport not to.
iPads sell. Laptops sell. Back in the day Boomboxes sold.

Metroid hitting top 10 is genuinely shocking, and I'm thrilled. Maybe that means we'll get a an original side-scrolling entry on Switch at some point, along with Prime 4
of course we won't.

I'm sure Switch will dominate through the holidays and into next year. It's starting at about February - onwards that it starts getting murky, but that's only because Ninty has yet to announce any games for next year. Once we know what they have coming, it'll be interesting to see predictions start up again. If we wind up getting Smash, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, more big third party stuff, then Switch will likely continue the trend. If Nintendo drops the ball and doesn't have something big like Smash, and the third parties still don't get the hint, or just don't have anything ready yet, then it could lose all momentum and never get it back.

Bioshocker

I feel like this is going to be how the sales will be for the rest of the generation. I am struggling to think of a way Sony (or Microsoft) could actually push back into the hearts and minds of videogamers.

Many people here claim Switch to be the greatest console of all time, and Mario Odyssey isn't even out yet...It seems like Nintendo has crafted the ideal contraption for the modern videogamer. I've never quite witnessed the sheer love for an electronic before.

This is just silly, to be honest. PS4 has been selling great for almost four years now, Xbox One is doing fine. Everyone can think what they want of course, but Switch got two Wii U ports and a semi-sequel to a Wii U game last Spring. Now in October Super Mario Odyssey will be Switch exclusive, and I'm sure it'll be great. It's a good year for Switch, for sure, but let's not overstate the library of games just yet. Calm down. It's not like customers are abandoning PS4 and Xbox One for Switch. A lot of people are getting Switch as a supplement, which is fine. But that doesn't mean we've stopped buying games for our Sony and Microsoft home consoles. There's actually plenty to buy.

Infinite

>_<

Really, all we were asking for on this side was a MHXX localization and couldn't even get that.

youplayedyourself.gif
They played themselves by not producing a switch version of monster hunter world on that note. Big miscalculation. Also monster hunter xx should have launched with the switch

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's a handheld with a dock to connect it to the TV. [/U] That's what it is.
No. It's what you want it to be, a handheld or a home console; it's an hybrid, it handles both use cases just as well. I have a friend who uses it 100% as a home console, and another 90% as a handheld. And I'm right in the middle: I love playing Arms on my TV with a joycon in each hand. I'll play Mario Odyssey like that. I play Mario Kart with my girls in split screen, Overcoooked on the big screen. And I prefer playing Golf Story, Thumper or Graceful Explosion Machine as a handheld. While I like equally on the small and big screen games like Zelda, FIFA, NBA2K or Mario & Rabbids.

Trying to have one definitive definition of what Switch is, one main use case, is just wrong.

Black_Red

I dont get the "its a handheld/it's a console" fights.

It's selling the way it's selling because it is an hybrid, most people still use it as a console only in the dock, also, some people really like the handheld option.

Its catering to 2 types of user that were hungry for a good nintendo console.

Some Nobody

You can't prove that.

Now, to be clear: I actually would rather Destiny 2 not do all that well. D1 was a massive disappointment and Bungie shouldn't get rewarded for that. Same as other games with sequels releasing this year that had poor prior installments. But just because I think something shouldn't do well, doesn't mean my eyes are blinded to the reality of the situation. I'm pretty sure D2's going to do ridiculous numbers.

Wow, impressive result. Top selling "current generation hardware" tells me the SNES Classic sold more of course, but still. Hopefully we get a ballpark numbers-wise.

NM. So, whats the WW number now? ~6M?

I'd guess more like 8m by now. We'll know the numbers through September in a couple weeks, those should be around 7.5 or a bit more.

Physically speaking, the Switch is a handheld device that can also function as a home console. Therefore it's a hybrid. Sure, the form factor of the device itself is a handheld, yes, but the fact that it comes with the dock makes it a hybrid.

But none of that matters when we're talking about sales performance. Price is what matters there- the hardware and software are both priced at home console prices, not handheld prices. So when you look at sales numbers you know people will pay for this like they pay for a home console.

Bioshocker

I don't know what the point of such semantic arguments are - its a portable.
Consumers understand the concept of "A Portable" even if sections of GAF purport not to.
iPads sell. Laptops sell. Back in the day Boomboxes sold.

Sure, it's semantics. And it doesn't really matter. But I do think it's unfair to compare Switch sales to Wii U sales, which is what so many are doing right now. I guess some like to do that because it almost makes the Switch look like a new Wii (which it isn't). They wouldn't compare 3DS to Xbox One before.

big_erk

Little Mons†er;252493620 said:
Tbh it’s anything you could ever want it to be lol

That's the rub. If you want it to be a home console, dock it and you are good to go. Handheld, throw it in your bag and have at it. If you are like me, you play it mainly docked at home and pack it up when you head out. It is truly a hybrid device, so just call it that.

I dont get the "its a handheld/it's a console" fights.

It's selling the way it's selling because it is an hybrid, most people still use it as a console only in the dock, also, some people really like the handheld option.

Its catering to 2 types of user that were hungry for a good nintendo console.
It's still a handheld to me damnit.

This is just silly, to be honest. PS4 has been selling great for almost four years now, Xbox One is doing fine. Everyone can think what they want of course, but Switch got two Wii U ports and a semi-sequel to a Wii U game last Spring. Now in October Super Mario Odyssey will be Switch exclusive, and I'm sure it'll be great. It's a good year for Switch, for sure, but let's not overstate the library of games just yet. Calm down. It's not like customers are abandoning PS4 and Xbox One for Switch. A lot of people are getting Switch as a supplement, which is fine. But that doesn't mean we've stopped buying games for our Sony and Microsoft home consoles. There's actually plenty to buy.

Whilst I do not agree with the user who you quoted, you're way off here TBH. The Xbox One is a non-entity in Japan and many European countries, and even in the U.K. it was being outsold by Switch this year and its software numbers have been really poor. I only think the US is wheee it could be described as 'fine' but even there it has been comfortably last all year, or at least since March.

Microsoft should be concerned IMO, PS4 is doing great though of course.

They played themselves by not producing a switch version of monster hunter world on that note. Big miscalculation. Also monster hunter xx should have launched with the switch

They didn't play themselves anything with World. World on Switch might still come out.

Sure, it's semantics. And it doesn't really matter. But I do think it's unfair to compare Switch sales to Wii U sales, which is what so many are doing right now. I guess some like to do that because it almost makes the Switch look like a new Wii (which it isn't). They wouldn't compare 3DS to Xbox One before.

It can be the new Nintendo Wii or Nintendo DS, whatever, it's selling like crazy.

Griss

Delighted to see Metroid in the top 10.

As for Pokken - it's a great (if barebones) game, and people should try out the demo if they haven't already.

Bioshocker

Physically speaking, the Switch is a handheld device that can also function as a home console. Therefore it's a hybrid. Sure, the form factor of the device itself is a handheld, yes, but the fact that it comes with the dock makes it a hybrid.

But none of that matters when we're talking about sales performance. Price is what matters there- the hardware and software are both priced at home console prices, not handheld prices. So when you look at sales numbers you know people will pay for this like they pay for a home console.

I get your point, and it's a valid one. But technology has evolved a bit since the 3DS released in 2011 at a pricepoint that turned out to be too high. It's not unthinkable to buy a handheld for 300 today because the quality of the gameplay has taken huge leaps for the past five or six years. Just look at how smartphones have evolved, and what we're paying for them these days.

No. It's what you want to be, a handheld or a home console; it's an hybrid, it handles both use cases just as well. I have a friend who uses it 100% as a home console, and another 90% as a handheld. And I'm right in the middle: I love playing Arms on my TV with a joycon in each hand. I'll play Mario Odyssey like that. I play Mario Kart with my girls in split screen, Overcoooked on the big screen. And I prefer playing Golf Story, Thumper or Graceful Explosion Machine as a handheld. While I like equally on the small and big screen games like Zelda, FIFA, NBA2K or Mario & Rabbids.

Trying to have one definitive definition of what Switch is, one main use case, is just wrong.

I have no problem with him calling the Switch primarily a handheld in the minds of consumers when he actually provides some data supporting this claim. I've requested this of him already in a previous thread where he made the same declaration.

NintendoLife conducted an online survey about this topic. With over 7,000 respondents, 27% use the console evenly in its three configurations (docked, tabletop, handheld), 30% use the system primarily in docked mode, 2% primarily play in tabletop mode, and 31% play primarily in handheld mode.

The Nintendo Switch is a hybrid device and that's precisely how the market views it.

Admittedly, I'm surprised they took #1 this month. I thought it would sell well, but I thought PS4 would edge it with Destiny.

I guess Nintendo was able to ship a lot as I have finally started seeing the units available locally for the first time a few weeks ago. With Mario Odyssey launching I'm wondering how long the stock will be widely available.

Mario + Rabbids at #7 seems pretty good. I know it pretty quickly became the best selling Third Party game on Switch and I believe I read that Ubisoft was satisfied with the results, but still I hope it continues to sell units as it is a great game and deserves it.

ggx2ac

Wow, impressive result. Top selling "current generation hardware" tells me the SNES Classic sold more of course, but still. Hopefully we get a ballpark numbers-wise.

Yeah, it's surprising since they gave NES Mini Classic numbers last year for November and December.

I guess we'll only get worldwide numbers from NCL at the end of October.

Sterok

I called Metroid being top 10, and I'm still surprised it made it. Should bode well for green-lighting new 2D Metroid. Possibly the last non-Pokemon 3DS exclusive to chart? Not many more opportunities for that to happen.

Good job Nintendo. They're gonna get the majority of my gaming money this holiday season starting with Mario Odyssey.

Nah it's a handheld first and foremost, it has the same limitation as handhelds.

Not sure why this continues to be a point of confusion. It's whatever the end user needs and wants it to be. For me, it feels very much like a console when docked, and very much like a handheld when it isn't.

Also, what limitations are you referring to? Technical limitations? It's no Ps4/Xbox One under the hood but nothing about the experience has felt limiting. The limits of my Ps4 are that I can't just take the thing, pop it in my bag, and then take it out for a lunchtime play session since it requires a separate screen; the Switch is a more self-contained unit without such a restriction. Limitations are relative, if anything the Switch gives me a freedom of play that none of my other gaming devices provide, and I own plenty of them.

Who knows for sure at this point. Capcom themselves haven't said a word on that so right now it's safe to say it's not coming

I don't think it's safe to say anything. World is clearly a game that was way to far along in development to add a Switch version.

If you don't hear something about a Switch version after launch, by all means, blame Capcom. Right now? I don't think they warrant criticism for that particular aspect/game.

Top Bottom