• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch #1 Selling Hardware in September. Nintendo Systems = 2/3 Total sales.

Sure, it's semantics. And it doesn't really matter. But I do think it's unfair to compare Switch sales to Wii U sales, which is what so many are doing right now. I guess some like to do that because it almost makes the Switch look like a new Wii (which it isn't). They wouldn't compare 3DS to Xbox One before.

This guy.

No one would compare the 3DS to XBox One because there's absolutely NO legitimate hardware or software overlap between those systems to even draw a rudimentary comparison outside of their labels as video game machines.

By your own admission the Switch has received Wii U ports, some last-gen ports from other consoles, and now even some multiplatform games coming to current-gen systems. Given that the Switch is being driven primarily by console franchises why SHOULDN'T it be compared to its predecessor that was antecedent in both fundamental design and software?

FelipeMGM

So by the end of April, they had sold 1186K in the US, now as of September 30 its over 2M

That puts over 814K between May and the end of September

This shows how much of a juggernaut the Switch is in Japan, it sold around a 1M units over there in that same period
if Im not looking at the wrong numbers here or doing the math wrong

You could tell after the Wii U, they lost so much confidence of their next system selling well and initially had sales expectations quite low for the Switch. Glad it's selling well, in terms of exclusive software line-up, the Wii U was incredible and the Switch is having an awesome first year.

I'm convinced most of the people that wanted Destiny 2 are PC owners now. I'm assuming the PC #s will give us the record-shattering results we all expected.

I’m one of those. I loved destiny 1 played on my PS4. Skipped destiny 2 on PS4 cause the PC version was a no brainer an after playing the beta on PC I lost my mind!

And I love battlenet all my fav games are on it so it’s the perfect set up for me.

I’ve waited this long an it’s finally here next Tuesday :)

Got two weeks off from work, destiny 2, shadow of war an Mario odyssey. Oh an gettin the new iPhone X. Yeah my two weeks off is xmas come early :D

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't think it's safe to say anything. World is clearly a game that was way to far along in development to add a Switch version.

If you don't hear something about a Switch version after launch, by all means, blame Capcom. Right now? I don't think they warrant criticism for that particular aspect/game.
They could have ported xx instead they literally told switch owners to get another on other platforms.

They completely played themselves regardless of a late port.

Pandy

I don't know what the point of such semantic arguments are - its a portable.
Consumers understand the concept of "A Portable" even if sections of GAF purport not to.
iPads sell. Laptops sell. Back in the day Boomboxes sold.
And yet, in my household it directly competes with my PS4 for screen time on my main TV and is rarely used as a portable device.

It's obviously competing in both markets at once, so trying to semantically narrow it down to 'home' or 'portable' is an exercise in futility.

mindatlarge

Good news all around for Nintendo. Awesome to see Metroid getting some love too. Hopefully that encourages even more Metroid games in the future. Still can't believe we're getting Prime 4 eventually.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
It's really nice to see Nintendo finding success with the Switch.

Good on them. They really earned it this time out.

I bought my switch this week and been playing Zelda both on the screen and TV.

It's such a great little console and its mobility is fantastic. I love this piece of kit and how easy it is to transport. All I do is put it in my bag and take it to me at work and on my lunch swap the HDMI connection and play on my monitor with my head phoned connected on. It works and run such a dream. It's starting to make me become a port beggar with wishing for Nintendo prior software to come to this so I can play my beloved classics.

Nintendo has something magical and truly special if they give this the support and software library it deserves.

Even in the Wii Us failure the lessons learned from this console helped the fundamentals that has helped created the Switch as we know it.

Iwata is a genius.

The Jag

Neo Member
I'm the type of person who buys all the consoles at launch no matter what. I know, it's probably a waste of money. But there's always something worth owning a console for.

I was very down on the Switch. Just hearing the specs, how the cradle had no extra horsepower, a game like ARMs being one of the featured games at their reveal.

I bought it anyway, and its far exceeded my expectations in every way. ARMs even turned out pretty good.

Best Nintendo console so far for me since the SNES, Nintendo hit it out of the park.

Wildo09

They could have ported xx instead they literally told switch owners to get another on other platforms.

I think XX would have sold quite well this fall, I don't understand Capcom's decision to not port it. Maybe they wanted people and press to only focus on World, avoiding userbase division? Well I guess we'll see how that pans out, cause if World fails they are fucked.

So by the end of April, they had sold 1186K in the US, now as of September 30 its over 2M

That puts over 814K between May and the end of September

This shows how much of a juggernaut the Switch is in Japan, it sold around a 1M units over there in that same period
if Im not looking at the wrong numbers here or doing the math wrong

Yeah Splatoon 2 shifted units way more in Japan than elsewhere, so that'll explain that I think. Those should reverse next month at least with a big new 3D Mario game, that should do crazy numbers in the US and most EU countries whilst still doing well though not as well in Japan, though I don't mind being wrong here.

Prove me wrong Japan! :)

Infinite

I don't think it's safe to say anything. World is clearly a game that was way to far along in development to add a Switch version.

If you don't hear something about a Switch version after launch, by all means, blame Capcom. Right now? I don't think they warrant criticism for that particular aspect/game.
Capcom knew about the switch early enough to ready a Switch version of World. They chose to play it safe and wait and see and they deserved to be criticized for that

Velius

Banned
Live footage of Capcom.

4rSjFWU.gif

I don't get it. Are they regretting putting their main Monster Hunter game on the other consoles? Only thing I can think of.

I'm talking about World though?

Capcom knew about the switch early enough to ready a Switch version of World. They chose to play it safe and wait and see and they deserved to be criticized for that

How early did Capcom know of the Switch? Because World has been in development for 4-5 years.

And Nintendo knew of the Switch but still released Metroid only on 3DS. 🤔

Anth0ny

I don't get it. Are they regretting putting their main Monster Hunter game on the other consoles? Only thing I can think of.

it's seeming more and more clear that it would have been a better fit for Switch not only in Japan (you know... the primary market for Monster Hunter), but also the West.

That and several other ridiculous decisions that each baffle the mind as to how they came to that conclusion. World is only the tip of the iceberg really, why Okami and the NES games aren't on the Switch this year is just unbelievable.

FelipeMGM

Yeah Splatoon 2 shifted units way more in Japan than elsewhere, so that'll explain that I think. Those should reverse next month at least with a big new 3D Mario game, that should do crazy numbers in the US and most EU countries whilst still doing well though not as well in Japan, though I don't mind being wrong here.

Prove me wrong Japan! :)

yeah, thats a great point, Splatoon moves huge units over there

The severe stock issues at launch in JP are clearly what stopped them having a bigger share then US by now. They were 43% behind after March, now its more like 10%

This is crazy good performance

LordRaptor

Nintendo is a Beast. Can someone unban Psycho Mantis for couple of days? Would love to see his take on this.

"It doesn't matter, because all of the best games like KH3, MHW, FF7RE, Spiderman, Agent, Deep Down, Agnis Philosophy, blahblahblah, also something something Asia something something"

And yet, in my household it directly competes with my PS4 for screen time on my main TV and is rarely used as a portable device.

It's obviously competing in both markets at once, so trying to semantically narrow it down to 'home' or 'portable' is an exercise in futility.

People buy laptops as wholesale replacements for desktop PCs, and people bought boomboxes as a wholesale replacement for HiFis.

Monster Hunter World's been in some stage of development since 2013. No Switch version isn't a shocker.

Now, what will be a shocker is if MH isn't brought to the platform moving forward.

Nategc20

Banned
Pokken Bomba
The worst title they probably will have on the switch in a long time. This is mind boggling why they would sneak this in on the lineup and not Smash U remastered. Should had just went with the kill and just shit all on the others 2017 calendar release schedule easily. Including steam.

Hi, Mat from NPD here.

Just to avoid confusion later, the rankings shared are packaged unit sales rankings at the SKU level.

The rankings we will be releasing later today will be packaged + digital revenue sales rankings at the title rollup level.

Cheers

jwhit28

I never would have thought 3DS would have lasted this long. I thought it was on it's last legs when New 3DS came out. Seeing if they replace it or let Switch fly solo is the most interesting question in videogame hardware to me.

Bioshocker

Whilst I do not agree with the user who you quoted, you're way off here TBH. The Xbox One is a non-entity in Japan and many European countries, and even in the U.K. it was being outsold by Switch this year and its software numbers have been really poor. I only think the US is wheee it could be described as 'fine' but even there it has been comfortably last all year, or at least since March.

Microsoft should be concerned IMO, PS4 is doing great though of course.

As we all know Xbox One got off to a horrible start, and Microsoft has lost ground in the US and the UK. That's true, and this is obviously not what Microsoft expected when they developed and launched their console. But Xbox has never been big in Japan and Europe, the UK was their stronghold here in the EU. That Sony's passed them there is bad.

It's probably at 26-27 million or so at this point. That's not a disaster, I Believe it's still pretty much on par with the 360 at this point (but it'll never reach 85 million, of course).

You acting like porting a game is easy ?
Maybe if switch was around the same power .
Capcom already doing 3 version of the game and switch would very different from those version in term of man power need to port .

FelipeMGM

Hi, Mat from NPD here.

Just to avoid confusion later, the rankings shared are packaged unit sales rankings at the SKU level.

The rankings we will be releasing later today will be packaged + digital revenue sales rankings at the title rollup level.

Cheers

oh ok

So Metroid should be lower than that because of lower retail price?

Top Bottom