• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another benefit of being a prime member. Thanks Amazon 5% reward? Plus it's visa signature which comes with its own positives

Edit: checked, I've been bumped up to 5%

alejob

My prime account expired a couple of days ago but my account says I get the new card with the 5%.

I wonder what I will actually get.

Hero

So when I go there I only see 3% back with a 50 dollar gift card bonus. I'm guessing it's because I'm grandfathered into a household program.

Can I get off of that and get my own Amazon Prime on my account and get the 5%/70GC ?

By regular chase card you mean a freedom or something? I don't think you can product change to a branded card but you should be able to change to a freedom unlimited or one of Chases other good UR cards. Freedom is a good card too if you limit it to the rotating categories

Yeah I have a Chase Freedom card as well as the Amazon card. I hate having the Freedom since it's redundant.

mm04

Yeah, gonna have to get this card. I've been riding 2 credit cards only for 18 years. I just got a Sapphire Reserve today and I'll probably nab this one tomorrow. Amazon is my go-to shopping spot. May as well go this route rather than constantly have to buy gift cards from the Freedom card's quarterly bonus categories. Last quarter I bought a ton of gift cards from Walgreens for the 5% benefit.

LogicStep

Well that was easy. I only use 1 credit card so this will become my main. Gotta get those sweet rewards. That $70 gift card is nice too.

Why doesn't Steam sell digital codes for their gift cards like Sony? :(

I'm 33, married, good credit, plenty of money in the bank, shop on Amazon A LOT, never have owned nor really cared to have a credit card. Do I need this? Complete noob to the credit card world.

gohepcat

Banned
Hey can anyone tell me if this card comes in another color besides neon lime green? I always feel like I'm pulling out "Babies First Credit Card" when I use this .... And if it does can I just call them and ask them to send me a new card in grown-up color like dark blue or black?

Zoe

I'm 33, married, good credit, plenty of money in the bank, shop on Amazon A LOT, never have owned nor really cared to have a credit card. Do I need this? Complete noob to the credit card world.

Unless you're about to go for a mortgage or something big, you have nothing to lose and tons to gain by getting a card like this.

You may not qualify for the visa though.

rhino4evr

Done. Took 30 seconds to approve. No brainer as I am an amazon fanboy. This will be like early amazon before they added sales tax!!

UGHGHGHGHGHGHHGH

I just signed up for that other shitty Amazon Credit card with Synchrony, and I already have a Chase credit card, so it would have been nice to have that all in one place.

How did you build credit without ever owning a credit card?
By buying vehicles and paying them off, owning a house, never being late for any payments ever, having decent jobs/money in the bank/savings etc. I'm sure the credit score would be higher if we had a credit card but we've never been turned down for anything (don't doubt we probably aren't getting the absolute lowest interest rate on some things maybe). Just never have had a need for a card really but like previous person quoted me probably don't have anything to lose.

gohepcat

Banned
Yeah, gonna have to get this card. I've been riding 2 credit cards only for 18 years. I just got a Sapphire Reserve today and I'll probably nab this one tomorrow. Amazon is my go-to shopping spot. May as well go this route rather than constantly have to buy gift cards from the Freedom card's quarterly bonus categories. Last quarter I bought a ton of gift cards from Walgreens for the 5% benefit.

Just a heads up. Expect your credit score to plummet for a couple of months because of this. Your "average age of credit card" just went from 18 years to 9 years. It will pick back up pretty quick. I basically did the same thing recently after having the same 2 cards for 22 years.

UraMallas

Yaboii

5BebBhg.png

Would have had $200+ if this would've been the card perks last year.

Another benefit of being a prime member. Thanks Amazon 5% reward? Plus it's visa signature which comes with its own positives

Like what?

gohepcat

Banned
By buying vehicles and paying them off, owning a house, never being late for any payments ever, having decent jobs/money in the bank/savings etc. I'm sure the credit score would be higher if we had a credit card but we've never been turned down for anything (don't doubt we probably aren't getting the absolute lowest interest rate on some things maybe). Just never have had a need for a card really but like previous person quoted me probably don't have anything to lose.

You are literally the perfect person to own a credit card. If you use a rewards credit card it's essentially free money. Use it to buy absolutely everything and automatically pay it off at the end the month. Then during checkout on Amazon you will simply have extra money every 30 days.

I know I'd miss out on the $70 bonus for opening the card, but is it possible to call Chase to do a product change from my existing Chase card to this? If it is, I'm assuming there would be at minimum a soft inquiry on my credit, possibly a hard inquiry, which is fine... but what I really want to know is would it count as closing an existing line of credit and opening a new one? I don't have many credit lines, and what I do have is all less than 10 years old, so I'd hate to reset my credit history length.

EDIT: A quick search seems to show it won't reset my history length and may not even have a soft pull. I'm gonna have to call and try this.

I know I'd miss out on the $70 bonus for opening the card, but is it possible to call Chase to do a product change from my existing Chase card to this? If it is, I'm assuming there would be at minimum a soft inquiry on my credit, possibly a hard inquiry, which is fine... but what I really want to know is would it count as closing an existing line of credit and opening a new one? I don't have many credit lines, and what I do have is all less than 10 years old, so I'd hate to reset my credit history length.

EDIT: A quick search seems to show it won't reset my history length and may not even have a soft pull. I'm gonna have to call and try this.

If you have a standard Chase card like the Freedom or Sapphire you probably won't be able to do a product change. They typically only work within the same "family" of cards. Since this is a branded Amazon card you probably can't switch from another Chase card.

That said, there's really no harm in just getting a second card, especially since this one would likely only be used on Amazon.

LordCanti

It wasn't automatic but I was able to enter my card and get the upgrade. I wonder if they'll send me the new metal card since it wasn't automatic. Either way, metal card or no, it's 2% extra for nothing. Thanks OP.

If you have a standard Chase card like the Freedom or Sapphire you probably won't be able to do a product change. They typically only work within the same "family" of cards. Since this is a branded Amazon card you probably can't switch from another Chase card.

That said, there's really no harm in just getting a second card, especially since this one would likely only be used on Amazon.

Yeah, the more I look into product changes the less likely I'm thinking I'll be able to move to this. I'll still give it a shot.

mm04

Just a heads up. Expect your credit score to plummet for a couple of months because of this. Your "average age of credit card" just went from 18 years to 9 years. It will pick back up pretty quick. I basically did the same thing recently after having the same 2 cards for 22 years.

Then this should be fun seeing what happens just with the addition of the Reserve card. After I see what that does, I'll apply for this one. I can afford to take the hit as I don't have any big purchases that would require a loan for years. Already refinanced my home and no car payment for hopefully 5 more years. My credit rating is at an all time high, so I'll be irrationally sad seeing it drop haha.

Kisaya

Damn this is tempting... I have a Chase Freedom card though and I don't take advantage of those benefits. I don't order from Amazon often but it is my go-to place for online shopping, so I'm wondering if it's worth switching over.

Wondering the same thing since mine isn't upgraded. The wording on official page is not clear...

https://www.amazon.com/Credit-Cards/b/ref=cc?ie=UTF8&node=1266766011

If you're on a grandfathered account with 4 users, you have to be the main account holder or you won't be eligible. I'm not sure if anyone confirmed whether it works on a 2 user account, but I think it should given they get all the other perks.

Should be clear if you go to the sign-up page: https://www.amazon.com/dp/BT00LN946S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The button to apply for the card won't be there if you are not eligible.

RuGalz

If you're on a grandfathered account with 4 users, you have to be the main account holder or you won't be eligible. I'm not sure if anyone confirmed whether it works on a 2 user account, but I think it should given they get all the other perks.

Should be clear if you go to the sign-up page: https://www.amazon.com/dp/BT00LN946S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The button to apply for the card won't be there if you are not eligible.

That link helps, thanks. Yea I expected it to be primary subscribers only but there are times (outside of services) the wording is about the same but is applicable to anyone who has access to prime.

Zoe

The husband finally checked on his account... and it works for both of us now!

So if you're in this situation, you should be good to go:

- Me: Chase card holder, grandfathered Prime guest
- Him: authorized card user, main Prime account

I hate opening lines of credit even thought my credit is excellent

I spend around 450/month on amazon

this would be excellent for me

amm

Awesome! Had been switching between Freedom + Discover cards for 5% seasonally, but this is awesome to have it all the time. Instant approval and 70$ gift card plus no foreign transaction fees! No brainer.

ViciousDS

Banned
Signed up last night

$70 instantly added to my Amazon account along with the card.....damn

Totally using this to buy the switch tonight!!!!

This is cool. Now I can stop using my Amazon Store Card and just use Chase since that is where my primary card and my banking is. One less login I have to think about every month.

Hope they send out a metal card quick to replace my hideous green one. I have never actually owned one.

So for a new member, after the first year you need to spend at least $2 grand on Amazon just to cover the cost of prime

I suppose you could look at it that way if you used NONE of the other perks that come with Prime.

As someone who loves streaming, music, and fast free shipping it is a no brainer.

(Plus I spend well over 2k a year. I checked a few months back and I have spend about 14k at Amazon.)

I'm speaking from a perspective of someone who uses a relative's prime account. I'd love to get a new credit card but I don't think I gain much opening my own account to get this card

Tevious

How are people that had the old Chase Amazon Rewards card getting a bonus $50 gift card? I've had the Chase Amazon Rewards for several years now. I had to confirm my credit card number in order to get it to go from 3% to 5%. No bonus gift card.

kirblar

How are people that had the old Chase Amazon Rewards card getting a bonus $50 gift card? I've had the Chase Amazon Rewards for several years now. I had to confirm my credit card number in order to get it to go from 3% to 5%. No bonus gift card.
Because the app was for the store only prime card done by Synchrony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom