• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The truth in Nolan's Memento elludes even to this day.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
It seems like Teddy was telling the truth, but to be honest there isn't a single reliable narrator in the whole movie. Perhaps that's the point, but it'll be the one thing that damned near ruins this movie for me.

tumblr_okkmkx4Nfw1v77bono1_500.gif

Does Lenny lie to himself to be happy and constant create the same puzzle over and over again so he has meaning?
Did he actually kill the real John G, or are those around him using his condition to progress their own means?

lesson-4.gif

I can accept that we'll never have a difinitive answer as to the ending of Inseption, but Memento is frustrating because it seems like the solution is right in front of me but I'll never quite know for sure.

0VxllYY.gif

Now, where was I?

pswii60

Great film.

Although I thought it would make Guy Pearce in to a bigger star than he would ultimately become. I suppose he'll always just be biker Mike from Neighbours.

Patryn

I forget: Is it text or subtext in the film that he was the real Sammy Jenkins? His wife survived the attack, and he killed her with an insulin overdose.

While the score is for the most part subdued, it's still so fucking good. Half of the impact of the last few minutes is due to the music. Adore this film.

I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different.

I forget: Is it text or subtext in the film that he was the real Sammy Jenkins? His wife survived the attack, and he killed her with an insulin overdose.

The film subtly hints that Teddy's assertion that Leonard implanted his own back-story onto Sammy's has some truth (Leonard replaces him for a frame or two in the shot where he's in an institution of some sort), but as the OP said, with such an unreliable narrator it's hard to take that away as a certainty.

Edit: beaten.

Glass Rebel

I can accept that we'll never have a difinitive answer as to the ending of Inseption, but Memento is frustrating because it seems like the solution is right in front of me but I'll never quite know for sure.

you mean like when you're trying to remember something and you almost have it but not quite?

While the score is for the most part subdued, it's still so fucking good. Half of the impact of the last few minutes is due to the music. Adore this film.

I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different.
Oh shit is that Jack Barker from Silicon Valley?

Saw Memento before SV even aired but this is cool.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
you mean like when you're trying to remember something and you almost have it but not quite?

I get why it's this way and that's what makes this such a great film, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I never doubted what Teddy said in the last (first?) scene of the movie. It kinda has to be true for the ending to have any impact.
While true, it does make the ending meaningful, Teddy showed throughout the entire film that he was willing to exploit Lenny's condition. He sent Lenny to kill Jimmy so that he could take the $200K. His "truth" comes when Lenny is threatening him, and saying things like "I should kill you, you're a John G." Because of this, you can't really definitely trust Teddy's ending lines. Hell, it's even possible there never was a second attacker, nor a John G, just something that Teddy used so that Lenny would do Teddy's dirty work.

jett

D-Member
I've always taken the movie at face value, myself. I don't really think it's trying to trick us.

This reminds me that Nolan is potentially a disloyal fuck. Only used David Julyan for his early movies (and the Prestige), never brought him back on board for his big blockbusters. Then there's never working with Guy Pearce again... What's up with that.

ColdPizza

Banned
I've always taken the movie at face value, myself. I don't really think it's trying to trick us.

This reminds me that Nolan is potentially a disloyal fuck. Only used David Julyan for his early movies (and the Prestige), never brought him back on board for his big blockbusters. Then there's never working with Guy Pearce again... What's up with that.

If you had access to Hans Zimmer would you really pass on him?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guy Pearce looks so much like Brad Pitt's cheaper equivalent, with a bit of Michael Wincott.

Weird that he never became a bigger star.

http://otnemem.com/index.html

Browse the official site, it is clear that Teddy is telling the truth. The new paper clippings on the site basically say that Lenny escaped from the institute. He somehow managed to teach himself how to mistrust certain doctors he came in contact. The news clippings also say how the photos and clippings in the hotel are from the man who escaped the psychiatric institute.

It's really an awesome way to fresh out the story

ColdPizza

Banned
I guess, but to just cast his friend aside like that once you hit the big time? Seems shady to me. Maybe he'll call him back if ever makes a small-budgeted movie again that doesn't require ear-piercing percussion. :p

On the flip side these same people can probably find gainful employment simply for having worked with Nolan on their resumes.

Xe4

Banned
I've never really considered Teddy to be an unreliable narrator. It's certainly possible. I think what the film was trying to get at is there are no good characters. Even the MC, when he realized what was going on, set himself up to do bad things.

Great movie. Top 5 for me. Just saw it again recently too.

Yeah, it's honestly really not at all ambiguous.

it absolutely is ambiguous. it relies soley on the statements of a character who lies throughout almost the entire movie. and he does so with a gun to his head.

having said that, i agree that he's most likely telling the truth and the story has the best impact when viewed within that context

Top Bottom