• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 960x1080 vertically interlaced

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The res upscaling and interlacing is super obvious here. Like damn.
Yeah, but even there not on all the edges. My guess is still that no one knew about this technique, so they weren't able to call it for what it is, when they didn't know what it is.

It just gets a bit flaky when the game is in motion. It's not going to look quite as clean as raw 1920x1080 renders, and of course things that don't get tracked nicely by the motion buffer (like small particles) and going to look like they've been shoved through an interlaced CRT.

Sort of a clever solution, and it arguably looks significantly cleaner most of the time than 720p-ballpark content, but I wouldn't personally call it "native 1080p."
So that explains those weird graphical interlaced artifacts, i assumed they were from some sort of ugly crosshatch pop in that a lot of console games use.

b31.jpg

EDIT: Ok but seriously, with all these pictures showing it obviously wasn't native 1080p, how did no one notice?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
You said:

The purpose of resolution is to increase sharpness and clarity of an image. Folk playing Shadow Fall's multiplayer noted that the image quality appeared blurrier than normal for a native 1920x1080 resolution. They were unable to discern why, and due to statements from Sony were under the impression the blurriness was a product of bad anti-aliasing solutions (FXAA is a known culprit for image quality blur) instead of actual pixel resolution. Now they know it's the latter, not the former.

And since they had already noted that the image quality was blurry, and the reason for that image quality is resolution, then resolution is not "meaningless".

Now that I think about it, I clearly remember the IQ debate that spurred a comparison between Ryse's AA solution and SF's. People pinned the blame on the FXAA+TMAA combo solution utilized by Killzone as the culprit for blurry IQ.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709298

vpance

who cares honestly? The game bombed hard. barely 3000 people playing it at any given time. last thing GG needs is more bad publicity after the reviews. i guess they just moved to the new ip

Yes, I hope they don't get the wrong idea about their 2+ mill sales and think the game was well received.

Battlefield 4 has a lot more going on and it runs way better than KZ SF. Like someone said earlier, they probably made a last minute call to make it a 60 FPS game. they should have stuck with 30 FPS

Haven't played BF4 on PC or console, but I'll have to agree with that conclusion as well to what the call was.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I'm no pixel counter, but this section looks telling. (Image size increased by 300%, so no additional upscaling artifacts)

AP25ydb.png

Just stings that after all of the hub-bub about resolution Sony/GG decided to stay silent during the whole thing.

Why would they come out and say "Oh, one of our 1080p games isn't technically 1080p in multiplayer, but is in single player." It's one mode of one game, they still have so many other games running at 1080p.

Chobel

kz3.png

Since the interlacing occurs temporally, the artifacts appear some times as ghost dithered stuff from the previous frame. That must look really confusing in motion.

Jesus!

GJt15qH.png
IClqUNg.png

pompidu

The reason that pixel counters could have a hard time catching this is that the game uses temporal reprojection. The previous "960x1080" field is reprojected based on motion buffers and used in the next frame (alongside the current 960x1080 field), so in static imagery, you actually DO get a full 1920x1080 image. It's not "upscaled."

It just gets a bit flaky when the game is in motion. It's not going to look quite as clean as raw 1920x1080 renders, and of course things that don't get tracked nicely by the motion buffer (like small particles) and going to look like they've been shoved through an interlaced CRT.

Sort of a clever solution, and it arguably looks significantly cleaner most of the time than 720p-ballpark content, but I wouldn't personally call it "native 1080p."

so do we need a new definition for what is native 1080p? because it is 1080p, depending on how ypu look at it.

You said:

The purpose of resolution is to increase sharpness and clarity of an image. Folk playing Shadow Fall's multiplayer noted that the image quality appeared blurrier than normal for a native 1920x1080 resolution. They were unable to discern why, and due to statements from Sony were under the impression the blurriness was a product of bad anti-aliasing solutions (FXAA is a known culprit for image quality blur) instead of actual pixel resolution. Now they know it's the latter, not the former.

And since they had already noted that the image quality was blurry, and the reason for that image quality is resolution, then resolution is not "meaningless".
Was there some threads about the multiplayer looking off I missed?

Most people can't tell the exact difference in pixels but they knew something is wrong .
They will see a image and say this look blurry it can't be 1080p but the believe GG and went with AA instead .
Point being people were able to tell you something is wrong just like normal people do but they don't know the reason why until you tell them .
The lesson here would be people should trust there self instead of the devs when they though it was upscale .

well that's kind of the point isn't it

They said it was 1080 in mp.

And it is, sorta kinda. My point is they were riding the wave of everyone praising their console over their competitor in terms of specs, why go back and say that the multiplayer of a launch game that very few people even play anymore isn't technically running at 1080p? All I'm saying that Sony and/or GG were in the right here, no, I'm just saying from their point of view it made no sense to go back and tell people.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Sorry this is off topic but I have to ask, is there a reason why you sign off your posts with your name?
I was thinking the same thing. I mean, just go tag fishing if you wanna do that.
Just something Ive done back in the day when boards didnt have username searches - its just stuck! Good memories :D
ps3ud0 8)
Fair enough.
Nobody can say ElTorro is biased =P Still needs a beanie.
I have to say, if this is really true, I will not buy another GG game for a long time if ever. I haven't touched the MP in the game, played SP and moved on to Don't Starve. There is no need to lie about resolution, or any details of your game for that matter. And since in the end it will all be revealed anyway it just makes you look stupid for doing it. I enjoyed the SP, but because of this I won't even bother looking at their new IP. It's time for companies to learn it's not good idea to lie to your customers. It might not matter much that I will not be buying their games, but I will feel good knowing that their next lie won't affect me.
Not saying it's not some kind of big deal. But you may being taking it a tad personally, as maybe you should. I'm not saying buy it but it looks like you're one stop short of going into your computer and blocking any mention of Guerrilla Games from appearing on your computer. You're gonna look at that new IP one way or another !!
hmmm...
960a x 1080a + 960b x 1080b will get you 1920x1080
But, it sounds like one half frame is held for 2 frames?
So, is it more like 960a x 1080a + 960a x1080b?
I feel discombobulated.
So, how does the game look in 1080i?
And then there's this shit. When you stand still it's 1080p but when moving it's not? I feel like Guerrilla is the Krazy Kaz of engine and resolution tricks. Does that mean that they only half lied? I'm surprised nobody has made a thread about Dead Nation being 30fps. But, it'll happen on Tuesday.

MP always looks odd for some reason. I always just assumed it was my crappy TV.

VanWinkle

Now that I think about it, I clearly remember the IQ debate that spurred a comparison between Ryse's AA solution and SF's. People pinned the blame on the FXAA+TMAA combo solution utilized by Killzone as the culprit for blurry IQ.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709298

Man, look at this pre-release MP screenshot:

image_killzone_shadow_fall-23538-2660_0004.jpg

The game doesn't look even CLOSE to that level of clarity. It makes me mad now knowing that the resolution is so low.

Was there some threads about the multiplayer looking off I missed?

No, but if you haven't noticed the multitudes of people that have talked about KZ's MP blurriness all the time, you must not have cared about this issue until something controversial like this has been brought up.

iceatcs

Wait! I have seen it before. Many other games, like hundred of them in last gen most on 360 I played.

Maybe it was never full 1280x720 last gen. It could be lot of miscount pixel counts. I suspect there are many 640x720 last gen games

Zeppeli

Banned
And it is, sorta kinda. My point is they were riding the wave of everyone praising their console over their competitor in terms of specs, why go back and say that the multiplayer of a launch game that very few people even play anymore isn't technically running at 1080p? I'm I saying that Sony and/or GG were in the right here, no, I'm just saying from their point of view it made no sense to go back and tell people.

There is no "sorta kinda" for 1080p. 1080p = 1920x1080. Anything lower is sub 1080p.

OryoN

Umm, so where were all the folks that constantly b!itch about sub 1080p resolutions that are actually higher than 960X1080? :\

pompidu

So you can add a bunch of extra combing artifacts on the opposite axis?

Lol.

We could just describe things with a bit more detail, instead of always relying on one number.

i agree but its worth to point out that sony/gg said it was 1080p and its true. they weren't lying, just not telling the whole truth. makes you wonder if this method has been implemented in other games

VanWinkle

Umm, so where were all the folks that constantly b!itch about sub 1080p resolutions that are actually higher than 960X1080? :\

What response are you looking for?

i agree but its worth to point out that sony/gg said it was 1080p and its true. they weren't lying, just not telling the whole truth. makes you wonder if this method has been implemented in other games

Wrong. The "p" in 1080p stands for progressive. This seems more like 1080i.

DirtyLarry

Disappointing GG and/or Sony was not just honest about this right up front.

I would imagine this is going to forever cast doubt on any technical claims they make in the future, which is a shame as they are damn good developers at the end of the day.

I think they clearly felt the pressure of being "the graphical title" for the PS4, especially since they were the "chosen ones" at launch.

Shame really as this is no doubt going to tarnish their reputation some I would imagine.

PBY

Banned
i agree but its worth to point out that sony/gg said it was 1080p and its true. they weren't lying, just not telling the truth. makes you wonder if this method has been implemented in other games
This is crap. And you know it.

So BF4 runs at a higher resolution and holds a better framerate on PS4? Always felt that was the most technically accomplished launch title of the bunch.

Xenon

So for months people have been playing at a supposed unacceptable resolution without an issue. LOL! ....never change neogaf!

Kuro

Disappointing GG and/or Sony was not just honest about this right up front.

I would imagine this is going to forever cast doubt on any technical claims they make in the future, which is a shame as they are damn good developers at the end of the day.

I think they clearly felt the pressure of being "the graphical title" for the PS4, especially since they were the "chosen ones" at launch.

Shame really as this is no doubt going to tarnish their reputation some I would imagine.

Everyone will probably shut up once we see their new IP. GG just needed more time.

SeanR1221

Pretty messed up this didn't come out till now.

Funny side note when I first showed my friend single then multi his first question was "is this the same resolution?"

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Even with the "field" artifacts all over the place, I had no problem counting these as 960x1080, unlike the Gamescom 2013 shot I previously used. Either the MP resolution was changed after that, or the initial releases were bullshots.

Back then they said the playable build was locked to 30fps. It was probably only in a late crunch scramble to try to hit 60 that they reduced and interlaced.

No. They said it was native 1080p. If they wouldn't have used the word native, then you could make the argument that it does output in 1080p, but the game isn't rendered to that resolution internally. However, Sony/GG's statement that it's native 1080p is quite plainly complete bullshit.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So for months people have been playing at a supposed unacceptable resolution without an issue. LOL! ....never change neogaf!

People have criticized the unusually blurry IP from the beginning and blamed it on a shitty AA solution. The claim that a lower resolution is noticeable is thereby validated once more.

antitrop

misterxmedia going to have a field day.
And what happened then? Well, in GAFville they say that the fanboy's small dick grew THREE sizes that day. And then the true meaning of Console Wars came through, and the fanboy found the strength of ten fanboys plus two!

GHG

Did they patch this in post-launch to stabilise the frame rate in multi or something?

Either way, the longer this gen goes on, all this proves is that more people need to get gaming PC's if your going to be so obsessed with pixel counting down to the n'th degree like this.

Top Bottom