• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 960x1080 vertically interlaced

le.phat

They just need to hire a writer with actual talent to flesh out the world/storyline. They are very talented coders/artists/sound designers/etc...but their ability to create compelling storylines and rich characters leaves much to be desired.

as does their game mechanic design. I wouldn't call them exactly creative in that regard.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They just need to hire a writer with actual talent to flesh out the world/storyline. They are very talented coders/artists/sound designers/etc...but their ability to create compelling storylines and rich characters leaves much to be desired.
Yeah, it's a real shame. They've had some real talent in there providing voice overs (and performance capture) but haven't done anything with it. I actually really loved the way Sinclair was portrayed but they didn't do the character justice.

JLck

Apologies for posting this here, I know it's not relevant but I thought perhaps somebody should make a thread on it and this was the most recent Killzone thread.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...pack/cid=EP9000-CUSA00008_00-ICONSCHARSC00002

Currently it's £0.85 on the UK store on both the website and console store under the Mercenary Playercard Icon Pack. There might be a similar price mistake on the stores of other regions.

It'll come up as 35.6GB (or something similar) and be the FULL game - not just multiplayer (which is free this week).

It's on HOTUKDEALS, not sure if I can post a link, and I don't have the permission to create a thread.

Sorry if old.

Just tried that and it definitely works!

I don't even have a PS4.

jDlraG8gM6hIi.jpg

Whether they'll let me keep it is another matter!

Apologies for posting this here, I know it's not relevant but I thought perhaps somebody should make a thread on it and this was the most recent Killzone thread.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...pack/cid=EP9000-CUSA00008_00-ICONSCHARSC00002

Currently it's £0.85 on the UK store on both the website and console store under the Mercenary Playercard Icon Pack. There might be a similar price mistake on the stores of other regions.

It'll come up as 35.6GB (or something similar) and be the FULL game - not just multiplayer (which is free this week).

It's on HOTUKDEALS, not sure if I can post a link, and I don't have the permission to create a thread.

Sorry if old.

via the mobile site on my phone doesn't seem to have worked, I only bought the icons the game doesn't show up as purchased...

[edit]
actually I think it has worked, will see this evening when I am home I guess.

either way thanks for the heads-up worst case I am down 0.85 for a couple of jpegs.

They need to work out how to produce a good game with great Ai first . ie. Gameplay. How can a series go backwards in terms of quality is beyond me (single player).

as does their game mechanic design. I wouldn't call them exactly creative in that regard.

Exactly this.

Btw, OT, I couldn't care less about resolution as long as it's a nice clean image. The new maps look nice but the jaggies on The Hanger (railings) look a ******* mess. What is this shit? Reminds me how KZ3 had worse jaggies than KZ2 because of their new technique (shimmering all over the place).

A bit worrying for future games (DriveClub was another) but I hope other developers sort this shit out and start to nail this - The Order:1886 looks to be a good start.

Jaggies can ruin a lot of beautiful work imo.

Sort this shit out GG.

Teletraan1

Banned
I just don't like this kind of dishonesty. Do I now have to wait months before someone figures out every half truth about technical specifications so I don't have to feel bad about purchasing a game of lies? Cant trust these companies. Fuck pre-ordering I am going to operate months behind the release schedule just so I can get a clear view of what to spend my money on.

Caayn

Thankgod I chose to buy an r9 290 instead of getting the all powerful PS4.
If everyone solely wanted the best graphics consoles wouldn't exist. There's a number of reasons anyone can come up with why you should buy a console over a PC, and vice versa.

The PS4 is all "powerful" for some because it's cheaper and smaller than its direct competitor while housing stronger hardware.

Evo_Nine

Banned
If everyone solely wanted the best graphics consoles wouldn't exist. There's a number of reasons anyone can come up with why you should buy a console over a PC, and vice versa.

The PS4 is all "powerful" for some because it's cheaper and smaller than its direct competitor while housing stronger hardware.

Look im just relieved that I chose a pc to play multiplats and not the PS4 which looks to be struggling with 1080p 60fps just like the xbox.

Yeah it might be marginally more powerful than the xbox, but an r9 290 will destroy it and I am just glad I chose that route.

There are no exclusives on the ps4 I desire to play and the only console exclusive im looking forward to play is halo...and perhaps quantum break.

No offence guys.

Yeah, fair point.

No matter how powerful a system is, you can always design a game that will push it so far it can't do 60fps.
People may notice when something looks better, but most don't have even the slightlest idea of how these things work.

Keep increasing the complexity and you will bring any system to its knees. And that's without taking anything else into account.

Q: Is SHADOW FALL running 1080p natively?
In both SP and MP, KILLZONE SHADOW FALL outputs a full, unscaled 1080p image at up to 60 FPS. Native is often used to indicate images that are not scaled; it is native by that definition.

Aaron Greenberg called...

Edit:
We will be discussing KILLZONE SHADOW FALL’s rendering techniques – including this one – in a talk at the upcoming Games Developers Conference on March 20th, Room 132, North Hall. We will go into much more detail, but if you have any questions please leave them in the comments below so that we can address them in the presentation. The presentation slides will be shared on the Guerrilla Games Publications page after the conference.

Should be a good read. A shame they have to do a blog post about this, though.

stryke

I hope we see some more on this at GDC (are GG even going?).

lol, a quick gander at the GDC schedule and here's what I find:

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/827807

Taking Killzone Shadow Fall Image Quality into the Next Generation

Michal Valient | Lead Tech, Guerrilla Games

This talk will focus on the technical side of Killzone Shadow Fall, the platform exclusive launch title for PlayStation 4. It will present the details of several new techniques that were developed in the quest for next generation image quality, and the talk will use key locations from the game as examples. The talk will discuss interesting aspects of the new content pipeline, next-gen lighting engine, usage of indirect lighting and various shadow rendering optimizations. The talk will describe the details of volumetric lighting, the real-time reflections system, and the new anti-aliasing solution, and will include some details about the image-quality driven streaming system. A common, very important, theme of the talk is the temporal coherency and how it was utilized to reduce aliasing, and improve the rendering quality and image stability above the baseline 1080p resolution seen in other games.

HORRORSHØW

Aaron Greenberg called...
In Multiplayer mode, however, we use a technique called “temporal reprojection,” which combines pixels and motion vectors from multiple lower-resolution frames to reconstruct a full 1080p image. If native means that every part of the pipeline is 1080p then this technique is not native.

Grimløck;103354427 said:
In Multiplayer mode, however, we use a technique called “temporal reprojection,” which combines pixels and motion vectors from multiple lower-resolution frames to reconstruct a full 1080p image. If native means that every part of the pipeline is 1080p then this technique is not native.

If that's what you're reading then you don't understand what was written. ;)

I was being facetious.

AwRy108

Here's a shot taken while rotating the camera at a medium steady rate (taken from a capture card rather than using the built-in sharing feature).

Considering the technique being used, I'm impressed with how artifact free the image appears in motion. From what I can see, this type of rendering has the most noticeable impact on thin objects (such as fences) but even then it simply looks as if it is part of the camera blur.

ARA.png

Resolutiongate or not, HOLY JEEDBUS Shadowfall looks great. Can't wait to see what GG is able to wring out of the PS4 over the next 5+ years.

Top Bottom