• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Now back to the topic: i really want to get into CARS but i will do it after the game is released. Will i miss much by choosing this?
By waiting for the full release you will get the most optimised and content-rich version of the game. The only thing you 'miss' is playing it now instead of.... later...?

_machine

Now back to the topic: i really want to get into CARS but i will do it after the game is released. Will i miss much by choosing this?
Probably not much; the game is still far away from release and it's lacking the "game" content like Career and Multiplayer atm and the physics are far from complete as well. You would have gotten the game probably a bit cheaper and profited from it if you'd join now, but there's no hurry if you aren't intersted in the game yet.

_machine

you think so? when is the game supposed to be complete? early 2013, right?
Probably 2nd quarter of 2013. I still doubt a next-gen version apart from WiiU as they've already got the game running on PS3/360 and it's still developed with those platforms in mind.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Probably 2nd quarter of 2013. I still doubt a next-gen version apart from WiiU as they've already got the game running on PS3/360 and it's still developed with those platforms in mind.

yeah, thats what i'm thinking. would probably do a lot better as a launch or near launch title though - picking up sales from people who otherwise may overlook a racer to show off their new systems and to launch a new IP. that said, forza 5 is rumored to come out late 2013 for xbox next, so there may be stiff competition even on that front.

but still, 60fps with all the pc bells and whistles would be amazing. instead, i'm picturing the 360/ps3 versions to look like shift 2 but with real time time of day.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm 15 seconds away from the 1st place with Racer L4-RS on Eifelwald [Nirburg]. I guess little mistakes add up big time on this long track. :D

Still, top20 is not bad.

disap.ed

I am also always happy to be in the Top20, didn't think I would be anywhere near this.

Wasn't able to drive Eifelwald without contact / offtrack so far though, but even so I was around a minute slower than the 6.06 in the last contest. It is my first time I drive this track since GT4 I guess :/

In general I like shorter tracks like Heusden or Moravia more, I just need time to learn these tracks to avoid mistakes in the first turn and afterward I can look for ideal racing lines and so on.

Foffy

Banned
Has there been an ETA as to when the game will drop? I want to play the full experience, and in the meantime I'm trying to play other realistic racing games. I'm currently playing Gran Turismo 5, and on that note, what other types of games are out there similar to CARS and GT? There's Forza, and I've heard PGR being called a simulation but it focuses on more on tricks than racing, I believe. I know people have praised Codemasters' racing games this generation too, but isn't F1 the only one with an attempt at authenticity?

Gah, racing games..

I must be honest, but currently I could see the game looking quite close on the consoles.

It will look like this:

shift2unleashed_8krip4.jpg

shift2unleashed_9ndewi.jpg

shift2unleashed_101tf0p.jpg

Arucardo

Finally getting back in to this again updating from build 234 to 291 now, haha. Will be interesting to see what's changed.

Also, this thread has been awfully quiet for some time now, probably because of the lack of any significant changes in the game as far as I know.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, it should pick up again after the summer holidays and such.

I'm just holding out for the new tire model, the old one frustrates me too much at times and there aren't a lot of changes happening in the physics department right now.

Has any major changes been done to gamepad-driving? I got rid of my DFGT and will most likely not get a new wheel in the near future. Driving with the 360pad back in April was horrible but i knew i read somewhere they were going to take a look at it.

markao

As most in this thread been rather busy doing other things in the summer, but with these two BMWs(1st pass) available tomorrow, I will definitely give the new build a go.

m15ust7.jpg

z4pysj5.jpg

markao

What's the best FF physics model for G27? I know there are some custom plugins.

What do you mean by custom plug-ins, "FFB tweaked" files?

There will be some (bigger) changes to the FFB (files) in tomorrows build, so I would try that out first, unless you mean something completely different ;)

Watevaman

New build is up a bit early:

WMD said:
Build 296 (6/9/12, Junior+)

Added lock for non-available vehicles by status
Online sessions:
* Changed debug outpuf of certain state information to print textual name of the state instead of numeric value
* Lobby setup request message has new parameters that specify that the sender wishes to receive. (Until now the only option was everything.)
* Admin will auto-assign user setup for newly joined users that will be used before the new member will send their requests. This will ensure that an admin always has full valid setup
* Improved the protocol for distributing setup of a user that joins a session in the lobby. There were a few situations where the user's setup would not reach the admin and/or some members, these now work properly.
* User setup validated by admin will overwrite my local preferred setup, if it was changed during validation
* Race load syncing up to transition to data loading (work in progress)
* Renamed some events so that all event names follow the same naming convention
* If host migration happens at any point during load sequence, the new admin will request state update from all members and all members will send the update to the new admin
* Debug menu commands to join or create a session will not assert when not joined to a server, instead they will print an error.
Restructured damage manager to handle initialisation of damage brushes slightly later during boot sequence, so that memory trace module would be ready
Changed vehicle flow to use higher level discipline filter - uses 'vehicle shape' rather than 'vehicle class'
Added an 'All' option to the dicipline menu
Formula Rookie: Set steering wheel to be removed when option is selected
Connecticut Hill crowds - added initial sitting crowds
Capitalization added to Main Menu and Quick Solo pages, Show Ghost button hidden until supporting code is available
Caterham Classic: set to road class
Texturebrightness tweak bathurst
Monterey, static objects - fixed intersecting assets with new addons
Pagani Huayra: Adjusted for understeer. Increased front tyre stiffness, adjsuted roll stiffness. Increased decell torque on the engine for more lift offoversteer along with a decell diff change
Adding track.lod file to avoid most obvoius tree popups at Jin Ding
Fixed cockpit exposure for the BMW M1 and the two Paganis
Fixed seat adjustment limits for the two BMWs
Default livery colour for BMW changed to white
Add BMW M1 and BMW Z4 GT3 to vehicle list
BMW Z4 GT3: initial animation pack1
Bumped version of all vehicles for Friday's stat reset
Added national flags: 6 variations
Added Z4 GT3 and M1 AI engines (plus compression and distortion dsp)
various dsp and level tweaks
Tranny volume increased
When going into the Setup page from the Quick Solo page the parameter is now set to 1 instead of 0 (previous)
New Track Photos taken by the WMD community
Tweaksx to dsp curves, engine pitch and rev limit
Track logo added to Quick Solo page, track map now at correct size, added Ginetta to the manufacturer logos on the splash screen
Fix for one more spotlight bug
Formula Rookie: added suspension animation source max files
Adding exhuast res, distortion and latest load curves
Monterey. Tweaked textures.
Trackside truck aniso fixes as requested on the forum
Fixed 'go back' issues with vehicle select flow
Adding exhaust resonation sound
New BMW exports
New Bathurst export
New Belgian Forest export
New Bologna exports
New Eifelwald exports
New Jin Ding export
New Monterey export

Build 295 (6/9/12, Senior manager)
Fixed up multiple BList uses to be traced and initialized, to assist with leak debugging and memory pool clearance
Certain ghost features are now enabled all the time, instead of only when GHOST_DEVELOPMENT macro is defined
Ghost system: Fixed documentation
Adds new applinks for vehicle discipline logo, SP track logo and image
Fixes some existing UI texture requests to use unifed interface
Added radial circle back into a new sprite map called 'aries_frontend_abstract'
Fixed issues in vehicle selection process
Online sessions:
* Added a new MP log file to app's online support
* Changed debug output from DBG_Printf to use the new log in all the session implementation
* Fixed participant priority values when sending lobby events to a subset of the event members
* Race setup changes can only be made in the lobby, not later.
* On host migration in the lobby, the new admin will send setup to all members, and all members will query the setup from new admin, when they learn about the migration. Until now, each member was asking periodically until they received the reply. The two-stage operation is enough
* Admin remembers load state of each session member
* Added definitions of events to report game load state from clients to admin, to initiate load, to sync authoritative game setup from admin to all members
* Changed online interface so that functions that send events do not modify the events
* Added a hack to BAppEventQueue::_AddEventObject that will make events return correct size of extra data until the network event transmission is fully rewritten
* Added more getters to BAppEvent that return the event's internal fields to make the above hack possible
New vehicle select flow
Screens for vehicle select by class, manufacturer and model
Disabled code that sets up transparent vehicle rendering for ghosts, because the code crashes. Until it's implemented, the ghost vehicles will render opaque
BMW Z4 GT3: Updated cockpit exposure
Monterey - add new textures for RecicleArea
Vehicle CRD files: set "shape" for all cars
Quick Solo screen - Track map size reduced, track flag and photo hidden for now until tomorrow when it can be made prettier
Missing SMS manufacturer logo
Logos for Jan's new vehicle classes
BMW Z4 GT3: Replacing temp collisions
BMW Z4 GT3: Updated exhaust positions
BMW Z4 GT3: Temp driver position
BMW Z4 GT3: updated wheel positions
Various vehicles: Fixed XLAST IDs
Fixes for floating viewer assets
Adds new applinks for vehicle discipline logo, SP track logo and image
BMW M1 Procar: First pass on the physics
Vehicle class setup in CRD files
Drain texture for bologna
BMW M1: Tail light glass for preview export
First pass at re-balancing car specific FFB weight multipliers.
Reinstate understeer fade in FFB.
Missing RACER logo added to Manufacturer Logos (for Vehicle Selection screens)
BMW M1: Exhaust position set
BMW M1: Wheels position and dimension set
BMW M1: Updated the placeholder collisions
Fix for stock car oval version seat adjustment not workin
Monterey. New textures/PSD files. 1st commit
Monterey. Tweaked textures/PSD files
Changed colors on the pitwall to make it match better to the latest reference
Fix for 2 spotlights settings which were lighting during day
Bathurst trolley fixes
Texture fix for logo issue on Monterey
Monterey - add new textures for gass station and woodfences
Changed Uses custom envmap to reflective wet surface in project flags
New Bologna exports

Build 294 (5/9/12, Senior Manager)
Vehicle Class logos added (not yet enabled)
ManufacturerLogos needed for Vehicle Select process (not yet enabled)
Share icon for new Quick Solo screen (not yet enabled)
Added applinks for vehicle selection and time trial screens (not yet enabled)
Integrate vehicle helper changes for new vehicle select screens (not yet enabled)
Fixed mismatch virtual file position for time trial screens (not yet enabled)
Integrating vehicle flow screens (not yet enabled)
Fixed Online events so they are generated correctly when received on the target machine
BAC Mono: Moved areo center of pressure slightly in back of Mass COG.Changed contact patch buildup with heat back to dynamic
Bathurst - pitbuilding interior map
Reinstate steering spring FFB force
Default FFB tweakers updated to tyres+SOP experimental version
New Bathurst export

Build 293 (4/9/12, Manager+)
Slow down HDR adaptation rate to avoid rapid scene brightness changes in cockpit view caused by g-force driven camera movements
Integrating time trial screen code
Set seat adjustment limits to one metre in all directions for all cars
Increase granularity of each seat adjustment step
Fixed shader compile error for glows
New Bathurst trackside scenics
Ariel Atoms: adjusted light flares to the new textures
Monterey - new textures
Livery carbon gloss material update
Bodywork_carbon shader moire bug fix. Changed the factor calculation to use clearCoatReflectionVector instead of worldCoordsReflectionVector
Belgian Forest - little trees update - around old pitbuilding
New Ariel Atom 3 export
New Ariel Atom Mugan export
New Ariel Atom V8 export
New Belgian Forest export
New Moterey export

Build 292 (3/9/12, Senior manager)
Fix for incorrect speech debug output
Increased size of sort list buffers for PC only, to prevent black sky bug
Modified defer nodes initialisation to prevent per-platform default list size values being ignored, and increased limit on PC (DX9 and DX11)
Online session:
* Extended the callback arguments to include extra details about what happened
* Added support for lobby text chat. Not finished, doesn't work
* Removed extra flags from user setup messages, originally meant for player rediness status. They will be added to a different structure, which wont' be going throgh race setup validation
Removed an obsolete workaround for MP time attack driving line visibility mode, which was only half-removed before
Belgian Forest - add new and finalize textures for old pitbuilding
Vehicles: new headlight flare textures for day and night - night set currently unused. Revised distance scale formula for flares; smoother and simpler
Monterey. Tweaked textures
Belgian Forest - change and add new textures for old pitbuilding
New Eifelwald export

Blizzard

Banned
That car looks nice. :D

Apparently FFB is now primarily driven from the tyres? It sounds like from this thread that there are some significant changes they are trying, so read this if you are trying the new build:
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?9104-FFB-Notes-on-Build-296

I look forward to impressions from wheel drivers here. Specifically, at minimum make sure you let the install stuff clear out any previous settings and try the new FFB default before tweaking things.

benzy

The lighting and trees in this has gotten so good. Holy cow. Just make it a next-gen launch title with these graphics and forget current-gen versions.

Arucardo

Great, FFB/Physics changes are what I'm most interested in, I'll try this build out asap if my cold lets me. Trying to play games or driving in sims isn't ideal with a runny nose, cough and a fairly high fever, haha.

Dilly

Banned
What settings do you use? It's been a long time since I last played pCARS, but I don't remember the clouds looking weird.

I absolutely hate HDR in this game, so I turned it off. Some tracks are just terribly overlit and using helmet cam only makes it worse.

It makes the clouds look funky.

Limanima

They should add some dirt to those cars. They are too shiny. Looks like they just came out from a car wash and polished. Dirty things always look more real.

Dilly

Banned
I'm starting to think that, except for maybe the addition of multiplayer, they're slowly hitting the maximum of people interested in buying a toolpack for the project though.

Top Bottom