• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Arucardo

M1 was great but the GT3 pulls to the side under braking like a mother 'effer :p I saw a fix for it on the WMD forums but it's at the expense of a better ffb feel. The pull only happens when you lock the brakes or are just starting to lock them and the GT3 has crazy sensitive brakes so that didn't help.

The problem only appeared on some of the cars I tried even when locking the brakes which is weird.

DieH@rd

Banned
M1 was great but the GT3 pulls to the side under braking like a mother 'effer :p I saw a fix for it on the WMD forums but it's at the expense of a better ffb feel. The pull only happens when you lock the brakes or are just starting to lock them and the GT3 has crazy sensitive brakes so that didn't help.

The problem only appeared on some of the cars I tried even when locking the brakes which is weird.

M1 also pulls to the side under breaking on that final steep curve on Bathrust. But maybe that's because of my driving. :D

paskowitz

The physics and FFB are improved on some cars, worse on others and still rubbish on most. The Gumpert is now my favorite car to drive. Still pushes too much and takes some real effort to slide, but unlike most cars, when it does, it feels natural and predictable. This is more of a FFB update than a physics update. There are some great rumble effects from shifting, to red line, to understeer to oversteer.

Honestly, I really wish pCARS had rFactor 2's physics. It would not be perfect, but it would be damn close.

The physics and FFB are improved on some cars, worse on others and still rubbish on most. The Gumpert is now my favorite car to drive. Still pushes too much and takes some real effort to slide, but unlike most cars, when it does, it feels natural and predictable. This is more of a FFB update than a physics update. There are some great rumble effects from shifting, to red line, to understeer to oversteer.

Honestly, I really wish pCARS had rFactor 2's physics. It would not be perfect, but it would be damn close.

Almost all games wish it had rFactor 2 physics :p

Darkdeus

Almost all games wish it had rFactor 2 physics :p

yea rfactor 2 and GSC 2012 have the best physics and ffb imo. I really hope that pcars can get close to that level of realism. It will interesting to see how much the tire model improves the physics. I feel like most of the cars now though just don't have any weight to them. The caterham r500 is the only one in which I really feel the weight transfer. I'll have to test out the new ffb some more though.

Arucardo

yea rfactor 2 and GSC 2012 have the best physics and ffb imo. I really hope that pcars can get close to that level of realism. It will interesting to see how much the tire model improves the physics. I feel like most of the cars now though just don't have any weight to them. The caterham r500 is the only one in which I really feel the weight transfer. I'll have to test out the new ffb some more though.

completely agree, my two favorites right now.

TJP

CARS still looks lovely and the FFB is getting better all the time. Most of the vehicle physics have a long way to go to match the best on the PC but as we so often repeat - CARS remains a WIP.

yea rfactor 2 and GSC 2012 have the best physics and ffb imo.
I don't play rF2 but GSC 2012 is right up there with nKP and FVA for me as having the best FFB and physics.

Hoplatee

Considering trying this out. Wanted to do earlier but I have no wheel. Does it play well with the 360 controller or is this really the kind of game that 'requires' some wheel?

I don't expect any miracles / amazing times compared to wheels but does it play well enough with the controller?

TJP

Considering trying this out. Wanted to do earlier but I have no wheel. Does it play well with the 360 controller or is this really the kind of game that 'requires' some wheel?
You'll be fine as SMS are building the game for the Xbox 360 and PS3. I swap between a G27 and the Xbox wired controller quite often. Same goes for the free RaceRoom RE Gamescom demo SimBin just released.

paskowitz

I don't expect any miracles / amazing times compared to wheels but does it play well enough with the controller?

It almost plays better with a controller.

Arucardo

Playing them has made me really question what the big deal about iRacing is. It is almost like discovering LFS when I thought Race 07 was "the most realistic".

iRacing is good but some cars like the MX5 and the skip barber don't feel as natural under braking. I'd love to have an MX5 in rF2 and GSC12 for comparison since I think the uncomfortable feeling I get in iRacing under braking is caused by weight transfer.

I really need to get a load cell brake or new brakes altogether heh.

Blizzard

Banned
Both, as well as widths. It starts out ok but then it just goes horribly wrong. Could be cause it's still a wip though.
If there are any good references available, by all means let them know in the track forum. If I recall correctly they've done some good adjustments and remakes of some tracks with more accurate values. I think there were one or two tracks with fans helping provide reference material as well.

mclaren777

Both, as well as widths. It starts out ok but then it just goes horribly wrong. Could be cause it's still a wip though.

Possibly, but I doubt it. Once they commit to a loft, it's unlikely that radical changes will follow because it requires too much effort. I haven't followed the development of that particular track, though, so perhaps it was only just started.

mclaren777

GT5 still the best?

Yes, though I think VLN mods for games like rFactor and NKP have equally good geometry.

nkp5.gif

markao

Possibly, but I doubt it. Once they commit to a loft, it's unlikely that radical changes will follow because it requires too much effort. I haven't followed the development of that particular track, though, so perhaps it was only just started.
Stop doubting ;) and just read up on that particular track development, or track development in general at pCARS, as its not as you think it is.

It is still very WIP, first loft is only used as base and bit by bit track gets its first part of adjustments. But even tracks that were pretty far in development, have had significant adjustments because of (new) reference materials.

And as said Metalmurphy, if you feel something is not right, just post some reference footage, point out whats wrong and it will get adjusted. Disagree that it is all kind of wrong, as most of it feels pretty spot on to me, specially parts that have had some dev love already.

And as said Metalmurphy, if you feel something is not right, just post some reference footage, point out whats wrong and it will get adjusted. Disagree that it is all kind of wrong, as most of it feels pretty spot on to me, specially parts that have had some dev love already.

I literately did not know where I was at one point :/

I can record a video for the rest to see but it'll suck cause I don't wanna unpack my wheel.

markao

I literately did not know where I was at one point :/

I can record a video for the rest to see but it'll suck cause I don't wanna unpack my wheel.
My guess is, that's far more due to your reference points missing or being wrong. By that I mean all stuff on the other side of the guard rails, including the "loft/height" on the terrain parts. Ad to that the extreme WIP (no curbs, gravel traps/etc.) on large parts of the track right now and I can see you getting confused.

Generally speaking in racing games, if you feel elevations are to flat, you could try to lower your FOV a little to a more realistic value and see if that improves the feeling. And as mentioned before, please dump everything you feel/think that is wrong in the Eifelwald discussion thread, so it gets worked on by the devs.

My guess is, that's far more due to your reference points missing or being wrong. By that I mean all stuff on the other side of the guard rails, including the "loft/height" on the terrain parts. Ad to that the extreme WIP (no curbs, gravel traps/etc.) on large parts of the track right now and I can see you getting confused.

Generally speaking in racing games, if you feel elevations are to flat, you could try to lower your FOV a little to a more realistic value and see if that improves the feeling. And as mentioned before, please dump everything you feel/think that is wrong in the Eifelwald discussion thread, so it gets worked on by the devs.

Well, they already did confirm one of my issues:

I meant to post about this - we confirmed the length of the track is spot on, as are the corners themselves and elevation changes. We did however find some significant issues with track width. These will be sorted a.s.a.p. and should bring the times more into line.

I still feel some elevations are wrong based on what I'm used to, but hey, I've never driven there so maybe the other ones are wrong. Lack of graffiti and track side details together with the messed up width threw me off near Wherseifen. I also got a jump where I was never expecting that made me go "the hell was that?!".

Tried recording a video but ran out of HDD space lol

paskowitz

I guess that would come after Race/GTR. Race has in my opinion some of the grades wrong, but the bumps are near perfect. As is the curbing. It is one of the few renditions where if you hit the curb, you will pay. Once GT fixes this in their model, it will be just about perfect.

amar212

I guess that would come after Race/GTR. Race has in my opinion some of the grades wrong, but the bumps are near perfect. As is the curbing. It is one of the few renditions where if you hit the curb, you will pay. Once GT fixes this in their model, it will be just about perfect.

I agree.

Although that width and some elevations are wrong, actual driving in Shift 2 is absolutely unforgiving. I can't wait to unlock the damn thing in the Ferrari Racing Legends and try it out there.

You guys also forgot Enthusia Professional Racing, one of the best Nurbs ever created in gaming.

disap.ed

For whoever is wondering what it's like, I did a lap around the Nord in the Radical V8 so you guys a reference with the latest build. Keep in mind this lap wasn't meant to break a world record and my line is terrible. But even more important, remember the circuit isn't even finished.

Onboard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lzK3eaThyU
External:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJH6CN2ML_w

Which program do you use for screen grabbing? I don't want to spend 30$ for the full version of FRAPS.

mclaren777

I see that pCARS still has the weird "notchiness" issue. I've been meaning to make a thread about this on the WMD forums, but I've been having a hard time putting it into words and I'm concerned it might have already been discussed (but I don't know what to search for).

The cars in this game seem to twitch or oscillate around their central axis while cornering. It shows up as yaw movements that grow and decrease abruptly and it's usually most visible on long corners (though I've seen it almost everywhere). It's almost as if the frequency of input is too slow to accurately measure analog wheel movements, though I know that's not the case. It might just be an issue with how bumps on the track are visually displayed, but it drives me nuts when I play pCARS and I can't unsee it in videos like the one Watevaman just shared.

Has anybody else noticed this? And if so, could you please help me describe it so I don't make a mess of things on WMD?

pCARSwiggle.gif

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Has anybody else noticed this?

I haven't played PCars yet, but that's one of the main things I notice when I watch any of the gameplay videos. I figured it must've been a pretty well known issue and just a function of the WIP-ness of the game. If I remember correctly, the tire models and physics still need a lot of work. Maybe this weird turning issue is just because of placeholder physics or something?
Definitely bring it up in the forums though in case the issue isn't being worked on. It seems like a pretty major problem.

Edit: While I'm here, I should ask: how well does Project CARS scale down for lesser computers? And does it play decently with a gamepad? I have a GTS 240 graphics card and a 360 controller and I've been itching for a modern racing game to play. I plan to upgrade to a better computer and also get a wheel in the near future at which point I know I'd want to play PCars, but is it worth trying it now with my current setup?

I see that pCARS still has the weird "notchiness" issue. I've been meaning to make a thread about this on the WMD forums, but I've been having a hard time putting it into words and I'm concerned it might have already been discussed (but I don't know what to search for).

The cars in this game seem to twitch or oscillate around their central axis while cornering. It shows up as yaw movements that grow and decrease abruptly and it's usually most visible on long corners (though I've seen it almost everywhere). It's almost as if the frequency of input is too slow to accurately measure analog wheel movements, though I know that's not the case. It might just be an issue with how bumps on the track are visually displayed, but it drives me nuts when I play pCARS and I can't unsee it in videos like the one Watevaman just shared.

Has anybody else noticed this? And if so, could you please help me describe it so I don't make a mess of things on WMD?

pCARSwiggle.gif

You could test it without any camera movement right? I think it's the way g-forces are conveyed by the camera.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Sure, go for it. It will look like this and probably only run at 30fps, but I think it's worth getting now.

Ah. That's not that bad. Has there been any mention if the funds used to get into the alpha get you anything when the game becomes F2P? If all it pays for is early access then I may have a bit of an incentive to just wait until it's free (since I've got a pretty meager setup right now anyways), but if those funds become a sort of pre-order for in-game funds when the game becomes F2P, I might as well pay now.

markao

You could test it without any camera movement right? I think it's the way g-forces are conveyed by the camera.
I think its more (also) the "world movement camera" setting

I would suggest trying it at 99 instead of the default 1, before posting at WMD and testin out Andy's patience McLaren ;)

As much as I hate agreeing with mclaren777, I've always thought the game was way too twitchy as well. It's what causes most of my spins because I tend to instinctively counter steer those twitches.

And I don't know if it's related or not but the way cars move on the replay cameras just looks weird, like an invisible hand is moving the cars around and it's not actually the tires making them move.

Watevaman

Which program do you use for screen grabbing? I don't want to spend 30$ for the full version of FRAPS.

I'm using FRAPS. I personally love its ease of access and gladly pay for the convenience.

Edit: And yeah, mclaren, I notice it too but as others have said, I chalk it up to the camera settings more than the physics of the cars themselves.

Top Bottom