• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

fenners

Anne isn't a Netflix original though...

What's the policy on those anyway? Why are Anne and Degrassi labeled "Netflix Original" when they aired on TV in different regions before going to Netflix?

A good number of netflix originals in the US aired on regular tv stations outside of the US. Netflix just picked up the US rights, so they call it a netflix original.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Anne isn't a Netflix original though...

What's the policy on those anyway? Why are Anne and Degrassi labeled "Netflix Original" when they aired on TV in different regions before going to Netflix?

Well it's a co-production. Sometimes Netflix just slaps the Netflix Original label on shows they acquired the rights to from another region, but Anne With An E is different. It's a different situation than something like Riverdale or Designated Survivor where Netflix has nothing to do with the production but snatched up the first run rights for almost every region.

Susurrus

Netflix call anything that's airing in that territory for the first time exclusively on Netflix a "Netflix Original"now.

Better Call Saul, Designated Survivor and Scream are "Netflix Originals" in the UK.

Basically, Netflix licenses it for abroad. Sometimes there will be deals with codevelopment where they get it overseas, or sometimes just acquire it for overseas straight up. This will result in one country something not being an "original" or even fully there, while everywhere else in the world has it labeled as "original". I know Scream was an original overseas, and while most of the world got it as it aired in the US on MTV, the US Netflix had to wait a bit after the season ended, then just got hit w/ the whole season.

There's quite a bit.

Co-Productions
Acquisitions

One thing that annoys me about netflix is their limited anime selection, and then they'll have shows with very incomplete series. Like Bleach, one of my favorites, and I wouldn't mind watching it but I'd rather not watch 3~ seasons and then have to switch to crunchyroll w/ commercials.

stupei

Just got finished watching Casting JonBenet and a little surprised to see some negativity here, since I absolutely loved it.

I can definitely see why people might view the format and multitude of voices as a strained gimmick, but by the end I found it was actually incredibly effective at slowly humanizing the people auditioning and, through them, further creating a sense of humanity that is so often actually stripped away from the real people we see depicted in reenactments. By making the actors seem more real as they spoke about how they relate to or understand various aspects of the case, we see the subjects as more real instead of the larger than life media figures we have come to understand them as. While their earliest comments at first seem superficial, perhaps even morbidly self-serving as attempts to be cast in a role, many of them had really thoughtful and even moving things to say by the end that caused me to reconsider my earliest impressions of them.

In many ways the doc seems like it's not only about how we as a society consume and understand tragedy through our own lens, but also how tragedy on a grand scale sometimes causes us to reflect on or even relive or own personal trauma and tragedy.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Animal House (Doc, Science, Nature)
Ant Story (Drama, Foreign)
Bowie: The Man Who Changed the World (Doc, Music)
Buddha Season 1 (TV, Drama)
City of Trees (Doc, Social)
Chamatkar (Comedy, Bollywood)
Classic Legends Season 2 (TV, Bio, Doc, Foreign)
Command and Control (TV, Doc, Historical)
Enemy of the State (Thriller)
Lida Baarova (Drama, Foreign)
Natascha Kampusch: The Whole Story (TV, Doc, Foreign)
Packed in a Trunk: The Lost Art of Edith Lake Wilkinson (Doc, Bio, LGBT)
Ram Jaane (Drama, Romantic, Musical, Foreign)
Sherlock Season 4 (TV, Crime, Drama)
Sinatra: To Be Frank (Doc, Bio, Music)
Smash: Motorized Mayhem (Doc, Sports)
Somewhere in the Middle (Romantic, Drama)
Tag (Action, Horror, Foreign)
Television (Comedy, Foreign)
The Intent (Thriller)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Between US (Indie, Drama)
Christine (Indie, Drama)
Suckers Season 1 (TV, Kids)
The Break-Up (Comedy, Romantic)
The Place Beyond the Pines (Indie, Drama, Crime)
Tracy Morgan: Staying Alive (Standup, Netflix Original)

Added today:

The Place Beyond the Pines (Indie, Drama, Crime)

Great movie. I highly recommend it.

Speaking of great movies, GK - have you checked out My Stepmother is an Alien yet? I actually ended up liking it and the episode for it was hilarious. "Put'r in a bra!'

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Great movie. I highly recommend it.

Speaking of great movies, GK - have you checked out My Stepmother is an Alien yet? I actually ended up liking it and the episode for it was hilarious. "Put'r in a bra!'

I have been waiting to see it with a friend. I'm really looking forward to it ever since I saw the trailer for it. It just looks perfect.

Kaladin

Finished two things recently.

Daredevil Season 2 was good. Not as good as the first, but it really picks up when all the pieces start coming together. If The Defenders series is like the end of this, it should be really good.

Life In Pieces Season 1 : Kind of a different pace for a CBS sitcom. There is no laugh track and the stories that would be oddly divided up throughout the episode are split into 4 short stories that are sometimes connected and sometimes aren't. It's really good and highly recommended. Gonna watch season 2 on the CBS app, I think.

Just saw Oh Hello! On Broadway is gonna be on Netflix June 13. If you don't know what that is I recommend you check it out on YouTube or something immediately. It's Nick Kroll and John Mulaney as two weird, old, NYC Jewish men. A lot of the act is improvised and it's friggin hilarious.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Auction Kings Season 2 (TV, Reality)
Bar Hunters Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Behzat Season 1 (TV, Crime, Drama, Foreign)
Blackboard Wars Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Chug Season 1 (TV, Travel)

Confessions of a Superhero (Doc, Social)
Cropsey (Doc, Social)
Deep Fried Masters Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Emmanuel Macron: Behind the Rise (Doc, Bio, Foreign)
FBI: Criminal Pursuit Season 1 (TV, Crime, Doc)

Hidden Singer Collection (TV, Reality)
Highland: Thailand's Marijuana Awakening Season 1 (TV, Doc)
How Booze Built America Season 1 (TV, Doc)
Killer Kids Season 1 (TV, Doc)
Killer Legends (TV, Doc)

Laerte-se (Doc, LGBT, Foreign, Netflix Original)
Meet the Hitlers (Doc, Social)
Monsters and Mysteries Season 2-3 (TV, Reality)
My First Home Season 5-6 (TV, Reality)
Occult Crimes Season 1 (TV, Doc)
Portal to the Unknown Season 1 (TV, Reality)

Riverdale Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Royal Pains Season 8 (TV, Comedy, Drama)
The Keepers Season 1 (TV, Crime, Doc, Netflix Original)
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 3 (TV, Comedy, Netflix Original)
Untold Stories of the ER Collection 1 (TV, Reality)

joshcam19

Just finished watching The Keepers. Very compelling and quite disturbing. It's different than Making a Murderer but it unfurls the story in an equally compelling manner. Highly recommended.

Nizz

I can't find Monsters and Mysteries seasons 2-3 on the US Netflix. The show is a guilty pleasure of mine and I was in the mood to watch some episodes tonight.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

12 Years Promise Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Foreign)
Beating Again Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Foreign)
Can We Get Married? Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Foreign)
Colombia Wild Magic (Doc, Nature)
Elizabeth at 90: A Family Tribute (Doc, Bio)
Inglourious Basterds (Thriller)
Last Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Secret Affair Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
The Same Sky Season 1 (TV, Drama)
This is My Love Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Velvet Season 4 Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)

Top Bottom